The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Bards.
Well, after some thinking, I noticed WoW was missing one thing to it's whole set-up.
Bards. (And I'm not talking about the April Fools joke.)
Where are the guys that sing of the heroic and villianous deeds done around Azeroth?
And, how would one play them? Would they be a variant of the warrior or rogue class? Would they have the same abilities as the bards in D&D? Or would they just be people that can perform and sing?
What do you think, CotH?
I would say that being a bard would yes involve being a warrior, I wouldn't attach any special powers to it. Instead maybe just say that the warrior travels around playing a lute and sings tales of heroism. :)

Bards could also have musical magic. /shrug
It's possible.
[Image: tumblr_mjjxhcqmG51qh076xo1_250.png]
As a thoughtless comment, I would suggest rolling a mage if you intend to have a bard that channels magic through song.
World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game rejected the idea of a bard class due to the fact that it really has no place in the Warcraft universe. In fact, it was specifically and deliberately not included. Bards most likely exist and can play a role in roleplay and the like, but they're not a variant class at all.

A handful of players have attempted playing bards in the past, though I cannot tell you how successful their efforts were.
I think it depends on whether you're considering Bards as an occupation or a class.

Bards are travelers that rely on music for income. Kind of like many street musicians today. They often enter a Tavern (unoccupied by another Bard) and take musical requests. Thus, the more songs a Bard knows: the more people will be satisfied and the more they will tip.

Tavern Keepers even offer free drinks or discounts to Bards because they encourage customers to stay longer, and therefor order more beverages.

Sometimes, they even provide free room-and-board in exchange for a promise of performing the following night. Once word spreads in a region that a bard has arrived at a nearby bar, people will make plans to go and grab a drink and see what is happening around the world.

That is were tales of heroism come in. Since Bards travel more than the average peasant, they act as a sort of medieval newspaper to local populations. Plus a good story and foreign music is always a pleasure to hear over a drink.

Being a bard is not exactly an ideal lifestyle. You live on tips, and traveling will always have its dangers. Bards sometimes travel in a group, because single wanderers are targets for bandits, thieves, and highwaymen. The pay isn't always good, and it's really a life where the only friend you have is your instrument.

Most Bards are motivated by a passion for music and adventure. It also requires some talent. If another Bard happened to be in the same town, then the one with more talent and skill will be allowed to stay in the Tavern, and the other one will be declared a freebooter and kicked out.

In addition to this, Bards who deny requests (out of laziness or lack of knowledge), insult patrons, or just don't have the impressive skill and personality to please crowds don't make it far in the business. They have to be cheery, humorous, and very experienced because of their chosen lifestyle. Even telling jokes both pleases the crowd and helps lift the sorrow off the shoulders.

A majority of Bards only have enough fighting skills to fend off the average troublemaker. The more famous and capable ones are people who chose their path because they only wanted to share music with the world, and are some of the most passionate people you will meet.

All in all, only a small percent of Bards have the actual strength and reflex to meet a warrior or rouge toe-to-toe. This is mostly because any Bard capable of doing so would've probably chosen a better-paying job.

Bards mainly come from Human society. This is due to a large peasant class, spread out rural settlements, and a medieval caste system that find the Bard's services useful. They could also be common in Khaz Modan because of an abundance in pubs. Which in turn could result in Dwarf bards.
Dang now you have me wanting to make one.

I played a dwarven bard once a long time ago... His songs were usually raunchy, violent, and catchy; He was a generally liked character aside from those who didn't like how 'visual' the songs were. Once, RPing with ThePharoah when I think he was on Umbra, there were some Bloodsails in our way and my bard actually stopped a fight from happening by singing a song to them, heh. And way, enough of me reminiscing, I say do it. It was a lot of fun, but requires quite a bit of work OOC for people to enjoy the songs you write without music to back it.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
This has really peaked my interest....

Both to be a Bard... and to be a Highwayman to rob people...
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

Bards... that sounds like a class to me... I think what you mean, is more like somebody who makes music, who sings songs. As in WoW-lore there exists no character that has special abilities through music, I don't think you should make one either. But of course you can be the rogue or warrior singing songs for a living. I'd actually enjoy that!

On a side-note... if you really like this kind of roleplay, why don't you try LotR, you can actually play your own songs in that game!

However, I hope you will be able to play your songs on this server :D
Well, from your comments, I think I shall give this a go.
Now to decide on a dwarf or human bard.
I think Warcraft would fall under the horror genre without any music. So would anything else.

My character's actually got a lute, but doesn't know too much about using it. I plan on him slowly learning how to use it more and more as time goes on, then play for some tips and advertise his enchanting business with it.
It would be a neat idea if the ability to toggle the music of a given area was granted to PCs (Only affecting those in your party, of course.)

For instance, there is a music box that plays a song sung by Sylvanas after you obtain a Shadowmourne from ICC.
[Image: 8.gif][Image: 3.gif] - Ometh
[Image: 7.gif][Image: 9.gif] - Vyrin - An Undead Warrior who still feels human, plagued by the Infinite Flight.
[Image: 2.gif][Image: 5.gif] - Doryan
[Image: 1.gif][Image: 6.gif] - Zeklettau
[Image: 1.gif][Image: 4.gif] - Drejan
D&D bard class is a joke...

A true bard wont run around fighting alongside the heroes, and if he did he'd never be much of a bard to start with. The root of what a bard is composed of is; musical ear, theatrical streak aswell as lyrical and some survival skill.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Bovel Wrote:D&D bard class is a joke...

A true bard wont run around fighting alongside the heroes, and if he did he'd never be much of a bard to start with. The root of what a bard is composed of is; musical ear, theatrical streak aswell as lyrical and some survival skill.

Atleast he gets first hand access to what really happens.
Besides, most of the time when you play the bard, you're just support.
The other times, you're min/maxing him into something scary.

Yes, it is true, bards just sit around the inn or local hotspot entertaining the people. However, there is nothing truely stopping him from going out and doing things.

And, if you want, you could also see the D&D bard as a embedded journalist.
With music.
And magic.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did someone say BARDS? TwilightDisciple 4 1,007 04-03-2008, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Harmonic