The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Death's Saint [Shadow Ascendant][Complete]
Sozun's eyes finished looking over a piece of paper before folding it and sliding it back into his pocket. His gaze turned to the inside of his hood, glaring into it as his horse making light clicks on the stone path it walked through Tirisfal, with him atop it.

"Shadow Ascendants? They don't exist. You, the Cult, and all that crap the Forsaken preach about. Its all nonsense, not the true path to ascendancy."

The words stung, foreign feelings running through Sozun's bones. Those feelings were insult and pain.

"Emotion... Am I really that pathetic?"

His yellow eyes closed, attempting to calm the rage he felt. But of course, it was folly to try. Vainar's words did not cut him but instead brought a hammer to his bones and cracked them to pieces.

"Of course the boy is ignorant... The Ascendants exist just as surly as I do.. but.." A string of swears came from Sozun's mouth before he seemed to calm. A single bony finger reached to the neck of his horse and moved down it, little sounds releasing as he did, "Doubt."

Sozun's horse neared the once great city of Lordaeron, a place whose surface only exposed ruin that once was glory. The kingdom of humans that had been wiped out by all manner of cruelty and disaster. Its destruction left a terrible scar for all to glance at before turning tail and running the other way.

But Sozun knew that beneath the long festered over scar blood still flowed, and the city was born again, born a new. His home beneath the ruins, Undercity. His hand reached inside his pocket, removing a letter, seal broken. He unfolded it and glanced down at the words, as he had again and again.

Spoiler:
Dark Priest Sozun Croz,

It is important that you return to Tirisfal for a momentous event. One of the Ascendants will be coming to deliver a sermon to the people and Cult in Deathknell. I'm sure I don't have to say much more to convince you to show up and listen...

I'm done here. My path is to ascension higher than that of you weaklings.

"So says you... But mine will be the true ascension. A reincarnation... Rejuvenation. Rebirth."

Path of the Wicked

"There is a simple truth that I hope you all leave here with today. There is no road to ascension, and only those who do not dread the fatiguing climb of steep paths have the chance of gaining the luminous summits."

Heads nodded in their seats, yellow eyes all alike, all focused on the single figure standing at the alter. A man of of shadow. Body hard to make out in the lightless room, seeming to blend in with the dark. Voice like echoes, hollow and cold. He raised his wispy hands and from his mouth came the word of the Cult.

"Let us not forget. We are the children of darkness. When we ascend the shadow comes to replace our bonds to flesh and bone. Through virtue we master ourselves and reach the pinnacle of all power, shadow mastery."

Sozun's face was directed at the man, one forsaken but long since moved past that feeble physical stage. His name was Prophet Kerak, well known for his perseverance at holding the cause of the Forsaken high as well as pursuing the organization of the Cult.

"Forget prayer, forget titan power or the gods that other races flock to. Forget the Light that has forsaken you. As of now, you have already surpassed mortality, living in death. To control it, to assume its form is to ascend. Become the deity and command Azeroth to do your bidding."

Bony hands came together to clap all around the room, many standing in applause as Kerak finished his closing statements. Sozun watched for a little while as the eager came up to swarm him with additional questions.

He knows his power well... As should be expected. Because they are deities. And while humans pray to gods... we simply become them.

Sozun slid out from one of the old wooden pews, brushing himself off before stepping out of the church and down the stairs. Lightly, he muttered to himself, "There will be no talking to him right now. Unless I want to be one of the faceless masses... No, there has to be another way to attract his attention." The forsaken took a glance back through the church doors, "Before he leaves."

Sozun moved over to his skeletal horse, the creature kneeling down as he got close, making it an easy climb for the forsaken onto its back. As he pulled on the reigns of the horse it turned around slowly before starting to move forward.

Spoiler:
... You've only got a week. Afterwards he will continue on his way to Silverpine, and then, who knows where. Be quick if you want to convince him, and clever too. Gods do not live to fulfill the wishes of mortals, only their own goals and needs.

Shadows Hide You,
Apothecary Larz

We are not very different from one another... But neither is he from most forsaken. Each wanting glory for Undercity and the Dark Lady, each looking to wipe out the Alliance and human kingdoms most of all..

There is of course only one way. He must know that my power is worth investing in. That I have embraced the virtues and am worthy of mastering death.

To be an ascendant, to be the very voice of the Cult, the self-created deity of our people... My words the commandments of the faith, my speech irrefutable dogma...

It did not take long before Sozun's horse once again moved towards Undercity, following the forsaken's unspoken commands to their home. Doubt flashed again through Sozun's mind, this time quelled by unshakeable mental tenacity. Aloud, he spoke, "It is my destiny. Grim fate will push me forward, fate unrelenting and unstoppable. Ascendancy is the path that I've worked for... I will not let petty doubt stop me from achieving perfection."

Spoiler:
Lokmagrosh,

I hope the clan is well. I will see that I join you all when I can... But for now, fate calls to me and I must answer. I spoke to you once about the path of a Dark Priest. Now I go off to find one who can help me fulfill that destiny. When next I return, I hope to be more powerful than ever...

Shadows Hide You,
Sozun Croz
[Image: c9eda896-b205-41b9-9f52-22b1e122210f.jpg]
Disclaimer: Going along with the title of this prestige 'Death's Saint' you will start to find actual historical/religious tidbits that go along with the 'theme' of the post or to set the mood. These will be spoilered but this is just a warning. Nothing is offensive but for those who rather not read more religious content, ignore spoilers before the post title.

Spoiler:
"It was not the morality of the Sermon on the Mount which enabled Christianity to conquer Roman paganism, but the belief that Jesus had been raised from the dead. In an age where Roman senators vied to see who could get the most blood of a steer on their togas-thinking that would prevent death- Christianity was in competition for eternal life, not for morality."

Prologue

"In these lands of Tirisfal, these lands of the Forsaken, they hide and plot. In the lands claimed by our Dark Lady for her people they dare insult us by raising swords up to fight. Too long has that human filth roamed our domain... They dare to speak about virtue to us! We who understand and follow virtues far greater, we who set down divine law through willpower alone.
Who effect the world through shear relentlessness...
Who understand the power of death..."

Sozun saw nods among the handful he spoke to, eyes lighting with belief, mutters confirming the truth he spoke. "We cannot leave these... sinners be." He paused as he saw a few brows perk before continuing, "Yes, sinners. For what else could they be? The Cult has set down what virtue is. The Cult has shown us the truth. What do the Scarlets do, other than attack our people, try and claim our lands. And the crime, the sin most egregious... They spit on our virtues. The columns of our faith."

More mumbling came from the group, a few speaking aloud their approval. Before Sozun could speak again a single half-eaten hand rose up, mouth opening before even addressed, "And what do you suggest? We just go off and wage war against the Scarlets? We might as well war against all of Stormwind against the will of the Dark Lady the way this is going."

A few grunts came from those gathered, seeming to agree with the dissenter. Eyes rose back up to Sozun, the Dark Priest offering reply with a half smile, "Of course not. Traitorous it would be, offense to the Dark Lady. But we cannot stand idle. We must have the Scarlets taste death... Have the humans taste death... Show them that our people will never fade away..."

As the last few faithful left the chapel Sozun took a seat by the one Forsaken who still remained. Bald and without his eyes, he looked up at Sozun, giving a nod, "Fine words Dark Priest. As always."

Sozun took a seat on the pew, shaking his head, "Perhaps... But they are just words Larz.. Hollow even. You know just as well as I the truth. Our people are dying... With no way to reproduce, we will fade away, a relic when a new age approaches. Right now the Cult must work to give us all a reason to continue believing in our virtues. To continue being tenacious. Less we fall into that sickness that is mindlessness."

"And the Scarlets...? Thats the new goal then?"

Sozun let out a chuckle, ending in a bit of raspy coughing before speaking, "If I could, I'd take out ever last one of the Scarlets... Drag them all to the grave before I'd die. I'm sure others feel the same. I see no reason to not make them my focus."

"And what about Kerak...." When Sozun turned his head Larz continued, "Ascension Sozun... If we cannot preserve ourselves through reproduction we will do so through our shear willpower. Just as we broke away with willpower. Ours is a people who look to themselves to change their universe and you know it... Empower yourself and you will be a god.. We must all do so to preserve and persevere."

Sozun gave a nod, "You are right. I've simply been slipping into doubt far too often. As for Kerak..." The forsaken paused a moment, head moving down thoughtfully before opening his mouth to speak, "Perhaps this would be the perfect way to attract his attention... And show him the power I know I have within. A demonstration should not fail to impress."

This time it was Larz's turn to laugh, letting out what seemed to be the mix between laughter and a hacking cough before settling, "Don't forget who you try to impress Dark Priest... An ascendant. It won't be an easy task."

"Nothing ever is... Tenacity is what sees us through each challenge." Sozun slowly stood on his feet, glancing down at the forsaken still on the pew, "Shadows hide you Apothecary."

"Dark Lady watch over you."

----

Red and white garbed humans ran together, charging at the ambush. But of course, they were no match. Hidden in the shadows of the night, twisted and contorted by the darkness of Tirisfal, the Forsaken came.

"Let none escape. Let each last breath be one in agony. Let the world as they know it before death be one they remember as cold and cruel. These are the worthless. Do not pity their souls, let them perish."

Blood spilled, staining white clothing. Yells called out, cries for help. But it was no use. As the humans fell the forsaken followed after them, seeking more death. And then, a man screamed out, "Light save us!"

Sozun saved his blow for that man, moving towards him. And when the Scarlet saw what was to come, he gathered his courage to face death bravely. Like a hero, unarmed but determined, he stood up to face the Forsaken. And the last limb was severed from its body. And the last scream. The last body dropped lifelessly. And as the the battle ended, the two still stood.

"You should be proud human. The Light has decided to spare your soul death. As for your comrades, the Light seems to have forsaken them."

Before the human spoke Sozun delivered his blow, hard hand to the face, claw like bones scratching down the human's face, blood running down his cheek. "Now run little sinner... And hold tight your life. For we march against your pathetic existence. And crusade against false crusaders."

The human ran, leaving his allies dead, feet stomping hard into the ground. Sozun turned and climbed atop his horse. As the undead stead turned Sozun's voice filled the air, "He runs tonight with injured pride and a heart filled with hate. He will return, return with more blood to spill. Tirisfal's soil will soak with the blood of men. And as we evoke death we will taste the glory of ascension!"

Sozun rode off, the handful of others following his horse back towards Deathknell.

"Sozun Croz," came words, echoing lightly in the air after the forsaken had left. Kerak had stood in plain sight, watching the entire scene unfold. The night around him was all he needed to hide, to appear just another shadow in dark lands.

"You have much to learn if you are ever to ascend."

Meanwhile, in the forest the human dropped to the ground. He touched his cheek wiping the blood from his face onto his hands. Then, he pressed his hand onto the crimson flame insignia on his tabard. When done, the human moved up, now on both knees, hands together as he prayed.

"Oh Holy Light... I have failed you. I have failed my comrades... I have allowed that... abomination to live. Please Light. Do not hide your ears from my words. If you have any last reserves of faith in me, any hope that I will repent for my failure than listen to me now."

He stood, raising a fist up to the sky, his voice now shaking with anger, yelling with all his rage and fury, "I will crush the one that did this! That devil will know your power, it will be the last thing it sees on Azeroth!"

"Let Geoffrey Lancer be your sword of justice, allow these hands one last chance at destroying the plague of his people!"
Spoiler:
"For they collected the bones and skulls of criminals who had been put to death for numerous crimes... made them out to be gods, and thought that they became better by defiling themselves at their graves. "Martyrs" the dead men were called, and ministers of a sort, and ambassadors with the gods to carry men's prayers."

Procession

"Hallows End approaches, the time where we remind ourselves about the power of our will, and why we continue to exist today. We have broken free from the Lich King's grasp and with him dead, we forever more will live free from his tyranny. But the Lich is not our only foe.... This year, before the wickerman rituals I ask that you join me as we celebrate the power of the Forsaken and of death."

Hours later a small crowd of Forsaken where gathered at Brill. Among them where Sozun and Larz, leading the way to the graveyards. Sozun stopped just short of the gate, holding boney hands up to calm the group's voices before projecting his own, "Brothers and sisters, all gathered here today. I thank you for your patronage, and your courage. For we are going to delve into the core of our faith today... To pull at the strings and test the true believers of the Cult."

Murmurs came from the crowd but nothing else as the priest continued, "First, I ask you this. From the graves around you, find the bones of the dead. Even unawakened, these are your brothers and mine. They are the ones who have passed away into shadow. They are the bones of those who have fought for Undercity and given their second life for our survival. The long dead, they are our people."

Nods came from the group as forsaken went off in all directions. They moved to graves already dug up, to soil still freshly turned, or even to long forgotten tombstones. No matter the kind, undead fingers reached into the earth, tearing away dirt and grass. Mold and stone were tossed to the side, the forsakens' hands reaching for what lay hidden beneath.

From the ground they pulled bones, new and old, scarred and cold. Arms were torn from torsos, feet became unbound from legs, and skulls were raised high in the air. An ecstasy came over Sozun and his laity as they dug deeper, both into the holes of many graves and into the faith and feelings for death held within. Their unholy eyes almost seemed thirsty, as if a greed came over them, longing to separate their own world from the bones that now seemed to belong to a different one.

Sozun rose up from a grave himself, dusting away dirt from his robes before holding a small skull in his hands, part of the spine still connected and draping around his forearm. "Defilers! Rise up from the tombs you lay in with your prizes. These are special, you can feel the power that emanates from them. We wait here no longer. Come, take remnants of the dead along with you. Theirs will be the strength beneath our legs..."

Then, without another word, Sozun was off, Larz quick to follow, each of his own hands gripped around long leg bones. Then the rest came, some running and leaping around, twirling arms in their hands. Others walked at a slower pace, holding the bones more dearly. Each found a connection.

Sozun slowed as they approached the exit to Brill, many having come forward to watch the procession, others even joining as they walked together. Among the viewers, in the shadows, was Ascendant Kerak. His eyes moved through the crowd before remaining solely on Sozun.

"My people. Today, let us celebrate our heritage, our prosperity, and our advances into the future. Let us look at the bones we have gathered and remind ourselves of the world we live in. One where we, the Forsaken, blur the lines. Where we live though we are dead, where we have surpassed the normal bindings of mortality. Where we have god-like will. On this day let death and undeath mix as we pursue greater heights, and strive for the greater good of our people."

As cheering started Kerak watched a few seconds more before sinking away into the darkness, undoubtedly unnoticed the entire time. Larz raised the two bones he held into the air, "Come, let us continue on to Undercity and show them the pride of the Cult of Forgotten Shadows!" And so they rose up and continued their march.

By the time they had arrived at Lordaeron's old gates twenty four Forsaken had been drawn together. One or two waved banners and flags while others continued to hold their dug up artifacts like the greedy hold precious stones. Through the ruins they walked, then down they delved deep into Undercity. Their parade moved through the town, catching eyes as they went along, drawing the faithful every now and then as they continued on.

Then, at last, they rose out from the city, and into the ruins. Sozun pointed all around, "Let the power we have found remain in the ground with our people. Dig up the earth and return the bones you have brought. Allow them to safeguard our lands, the might of death within every digit and fiber. And let no man ever think that he is greater than the Forsaken!"

The cheers started again before the dirt was pierces with hands, forcing the relics back its depths. As they returned the bones they patted the ground down, packing the soil together. And those that never rest, put their sleeping cousins back into their beds.

Kerak watched from just atop the old walls. He stood there for a few moments before wandering off. And from the corner of Larz's eyes he saw it, just briefly. The forsaken's head jerked up, but no one was there any longer, the shadow already far away.
A Fine and Private Place
Part One

"Do not stop pushing! We have them on the run brothers. Burn down their homes. Tear through their farms. Cause terror to these whelps, make them fear. And in the dark of the night, they will only remember the screams and pain."

Torches where thrown through an old window, shattering the glass onto the ground. Flames lit the dry wood of the house apart, spreading quickly, despite the attempts to drench it. Forsaken ran, yelling battle cries as their blades came down on enemies, cleaving at them repetitively. And off in the fields a child's mangled torso was planted on a pike.

Sozun watched from atop his horse as the small farm was torn to to shreds, the humans who worked it unable to fight and the Scarlets no where to be found. His eyes glanced downward, Larz running up toward his side, "The family and workers are disposed of. Should I gather the men to arrange a scouting party to find the next target?"

Sozun nodded before the forsaken rushed back into the fray to call the men they had brought together. Their crusade against the humans in Tirisfal had been going on like this for days now, finding small targets and destroying them. At times they met a bit of Scarlet resistance but Sozun made sure to avoid areas where they could be overrun. "These breathers are truly nothing... So easily crushed." A frown crossed his features, "Perhaps too easily crushed. Killing insects is not the path to ascension..."

His eyes were distracted away from thoughts as the small house erupted into a blazing fire, brightening the area around them while smoke rose into the sky. Sozun turned his head away, horse, turning as well before rushing off toward Brill. "We will not stoop to simply killing the weak.."

Hours later when Sozun sat on his horse just outside the town Larz came up to him, giving a nod and greeting before getting to business, "Priest, we have found another spot, a helpless group that should do well t-."

"No, enough weaklings. Larz, will will not reach ascension this way. We need skilled targets. Capable opposition. To kill the strong is to overcome them. Not this constant killing of pathetic farm hands."

The forsaken blinked in return before nodding his head, "As you say Dark Priest... But then, what would you have us do? Lure the Scarlets out for battle? Ours is a an unseen crusade, not an open war."

Sozun bit deeply into his lip, so much that he started to tear into the flesh as he had so many times before, "You are of course right... But what we are doing now is just... Just a waste of our power. We can do better than this. Ascension must require better than this..."

Spoiler:
Elsewhere in Tirisfal...

Three galloped furiously into a clearing. Smoke was spotted coming from the area. Two of the three horses had riders in red robes. Each flanked the third, a man in the traditional scarlet armor, save for the blood-red handprint on his flame insignia. Their horses slowed as they stepped into the open space, only to see ashes and smoldering ruin.

The man in the center growled before waving a hand to his two companions, "Go off and send word. These attacks are all the same and they are happening too often now. We must snuff out the group whose hands are behind this madness. Light sped you on." The two horsemen nodded and kicked into the sides of their horses, going one after the other.

Geoffrey turned his head to look the scene over again, anger rising in his body, "Enough is enough. Next time these monsters decide to attack we will be ready for them.. And destroy them where they stand as an example that none can defeat the Light!"

He whipped hard at the reigns of his horse before it turned and galloped off in the opposite direction of his allies.

"Then what is it you feel we should do Dark Priest?"

"Lure them out. Not all of the Scarlets mind you... just enough. Enough to make a real example of them. By absolute domination. We will use this spot you've found, set a trap... And see what Scarlets come running to their deaths."
A Fine and Private Place
Part Two

"The Crusade will not send us men to fight against these damnations. They say that the meager undead we run after are not important. They do not understand and so we will show them. First we will reinforce this spot, destroy the attack that is to come. Then we will fight on until ever last monstrosity is finished."

Cheers came from the group of human men before they all got to work. The small family remained elsewhere while the few humans who found loyalty in Lancer prepared hiding places on the grounds and fortifications within the house. They had word confirmed that an attack was on its way and would not be ill-prepared.

"We will squash this enemy and show the Scarlets with whom the Light sides. Remember, it sides with Geoffrey Lancer! And all who wish to work with him and him alone will be blessed with its power!"

It would take many hours before the band of humans finished their toil. Only after the labor was done did they hide away, weapons at the ready while scouts scanned the perimeter, looking out for the coming attackers. "It won't be long now... Before the Light's vengeance and fury is unleashed through righteous blades.

Only moments later did the first scout return with word, "They approach from the south. A small group of about twenty warriors, swords drawn, and two on horses leading the charge. We don't believe they suspect a battle here, just a raiding group."

"Good. Then we will easily crush them." Then, Lancer turned to his men, "Let them come! Men, we will defeat this group with the iron in our hands. Let no devil think they can stand against the Holy!"

Meanwhile, Sozun and his allies slowed, Sozun bringing his horse to a stop. "Do not forget our purpose here today. We come not just to burn another farm, but to attract the eye of the Scarlets. Here we leave a sign, here they know that the Forsaken will not be stopped. That ours is the true crusade and Tirisfal is the land of the Dark Lady and Undercity!"

Forsaken raised blades in the air in agreement before Sozun called out, "Now let us go! Shadows hide us all tonight."

The charge was underway, Sozun at its head, Larz on horse not far behind him, and the rest of the men running with weapons drawn, voices crying out. From the mouths came an all inducing fear, shaking the constitutions of the humans waiting at the farm. "Hold steady warriors. Yes, we fight creatures that do not bleed, that are nothing like the things born to Azeroth... But do not fear. They are still mortal. Attack!"

Then, from their hiding places, warriors charged out, Scarlet tabards adorning their bodies. The forsaken started to slow, unsure, worry creeping into their bodies. Sozun started to slow pace as well as he saw the humans coming toward but then called out to his men when he counted their numbers, "Fear not men! These are but ten warriors rushing to the grave. We dare not refuse to show them the way!"

With that their charge was back on and as they hit the Scarlets they started to massacre the small band, double the numbers proving enough to kill the humans. But Lancer's plan was far from over. His voice pierced the sky, "Archers! Attack. Reserves, go and destroy this unholy blight on Azeroth."

Then, from the rooftop of the house came volleys of arrows rushing down into the group of Forsaken while more humans rushed from their spots. When the volleys stopped the additional Scarlet warriors ran in, hammers crushing the skulls of their enemies, finishing off those who were just wounded, destroying the attack completely.

Larz was the first whose voice was heard after the arrows died down and the Scarlets were upon them, "Its no use! Retreat, run my brothers!" With five others Larz managed to escape the onslaught, fleeing back into the forest, back towards Undercity. Sozun however, was not among them. On the ground he laid, among the fallen. He had been injured in the attack, and now a single hammer wielding warrior came towards him, raising his hands up to deliver the final blow, "To the depths with you plague!"

Sozun's unholy eyes widened for a moment, at first in fear, then in shock. The human's hammer dropped, his flesh started to sink in, as if he were aging. Quickly he changed, seeming as if he were drying out. Moments later all that was left was dust and armor on the floor. Shadow surrounded the Forsaken, and then, nothing.

When the humans were sure that none lived they called Lancer to observe the scene. "You see my brothers? You see what we are capable of? The Light is on our side. We don't need anything else. In fact, we don't need the Crusade to defend these lands! Let us start anew."

Lancer placed foot on one of the cracked forsaken skulls, crushing it through. His hand went towards the blood red imprint he left on his emblem, "From this day forward we are the Hand of Blood! Go on, press your hand against the bloodied corpse of one of your allies. Make the mark over your Scarlet Flame. We shall cleanse Tirisfal of the dark plague that has destroyed it."

Spoiler:
The few remnants of the failed Forsaken band gathered together in the graveyard next to Brill. Larz questioned each one again and again but the answer had been the same. His bony fist slammed against a tombstone.

"Then it is true. There can be no doubt. Dark Priest Croz has fallen with the others. Those damned Scarlets won today. Come, let us ride to Undercity, and with us carry his legacy, a man of great faith, crushed by the enemy of all Forsaken. May he live on like a martyr and fuel our people's will. An example to us all and reason to crush the Crusade before it consumes us."

With those words the apothecary guided the others off, grim news for any they encountered on the way.
Spoiler:
"If the fathers of the world had wished that their resting place should be in the Above, they would have been able to have it there: but it is when they died and the rock closed on their tombs here below that they deserved to be called saints."

A Fine and Private Place
Part Three

"Awaken priest. You have not met the end yet. No, you only feel the cold bitter weight of failure on your back. That terrible sense that all your work was for naught. If you still have any remnants of tenacity in you, awaken."

Sozun slowly stood up, his robes tattered and torn, covered in blood. He shook his head before eyes pierced into the dark surroundings. A cave, entirely black inside, but with Sozun's unholy eyes he could make out the stone walls, stalagmite formations, and even a few of the young bats deeper inside, hanging from the ceiling. His eyes, however, could not find the speaker.

"Over here Croz," came a cacophony of echos. "By the entrance. Even your eyes cannot see me in the dark. Come, we will leave this place. Besides, outside has a much more interesting scene to behold."

Kerak's silent footsteps lead him outside, Sozun following only his eyes to the entrance, unable to see the Ascendant until the deep darkness had vanished with the dim dawn of a Tirisfal morning. Kerak motioned a shadowy hand towards the ground below them, his voice echoing even now through the open air. "Come and see the fruits of your labour. What you have wrought through battle, your failed ambition."

Sozun's eyes looked over the patch of land that was once a small human farm. On the ground were the corpses of Scarlet warriors as well as the long dead bodies of his comrades. The forsaken bit deep into his lip as his eyes now glared at the scene, silent. Seeming to just take it all in. Kerak watched for a moment before letting his voice rise again, "What, speechless? Do you have no words to offer for this great tragedy Dark Priest?"

"The Scarlets...?"

"Were victorious. Most of yours died. I did see a forsaken they called Larz leading a group away. The rest fell. Many Scarlets died as well but it doesn't matter. You were beat. Here is the gravesite of your ambition."

Sozun continued to look down, now with ruinous anger in his eyes. His bony fingers clenched into fists, "Damn those Scarlets if th-"

"No," Kerak interrupted. "This is your fault and your fault alone. You failed at the most essential of our virtues. Respect. You did not respect their personal power. You became haughty, thought you could take on something greater on your road to ascension. But you were moving to fast. You crashed and here is where you lie fallen."

The straightforwardness of Kerak's words, the coldness of his tone, were enough to shake Sozun, rattle his bones as he looked to the Ascendant, half shocked, half afraid. His gaze could only last a few moments. His head jerked away, back to the scene which he had caused, the truth of the Ascendant's words flowing unleashed through his mind. "It cannot be... over."

"But it is," came Kerak's cold reply. "You are finished. Death was what you set out to master... but you do not even understand respect. I've said it once, now I've said it twice. If I must say it again then your bones too will join this monument to your downfall."

When all Sozun could manage was a nod Kerak turned, "How shamefully weak. When brainrot invades you'll lose your will and become mindless like so many others have. Shadows hide you." With those words Kerak wandered back into the cave, leaving Sozun to himself.

Sozun dropped to the ground, opening his mouth but finding no words to escape, to bring comfort. Even his thoughts betray him, showing only failed ambition, a hole to deep to climb out of. "I was... I reached the top, and now I've fallen. Is there really nothing left?"

His fingers moved through some of the tears in his robe where arrows pierced through. The same fingers gripped the cloth and pulled at it, ripping and tossing the pieces away. "It just can't! No," Sozun screamed out. The forsaken lost his temper, slaming his hands into the cold ground again and again, seeking comfort through meaningless toil. But it did not come, and eventually he started to slow, even though his body did not tire. Because Sozun knew it would not help, that his sorry state would not be cured by raging like a child.

"But what else is there...?" Sozun's eyes fell to the bodies on the ground, staring there as he had over and over again, only to fill himself with uncertainty. Then, at last, a small spark crossed his thoughts.

If you still have any remnants of tenacity in you, awaken.

"I still have the will to carry on... Perhaps I have not mastered respect, but I still have my tenacity." His eyes moved through the bodies of the dead on the ground, "But even with that... I cannot survive on tenacity alone. And there will be no respect gained from my brothers if I return alive where so many others were ruined. I might as well be dead."

Sozun balled his hand into a fist, clenching his teeth as if readying to let out another scream, his words coming out in something between talking and yelling, "But which is it? Continue on with tenacity until my soon to come fall... Or fall now and save myself the embarrassment, consider this my death..."

"Why not do both?"

Sozun turned around, startled by the reverberating voice of Kerak, the Ascendant once again standing behind him and moving closer, "Tenacity still exists within does it not? A wish to move on, to grow powerful. Then do it. Die here and work on." One of Kerak's shadowy hands moved up and pointed in the direction of Undercity, "Let them think that you will never return. Whether they forget or remember you is no longer important. Then come and learn, separated from that old life, how to ascend to a new one."

"You offer to train me?"

"If you can hold up to my training, master virtue. Learn truth. Follow my every command to the end."

Sozun nodded his head vigorously, "Yes of course. I will not fail again. I will do whatever you say it takes to ascend."

Kerak held still for a few moments, watching Sozun patiently before motioning to the corpses that still lay on the farm, "Then finish it Croz. Here is your grave. Build your tomb and close the rock on your former existence." Before Sozun could question Kerak continued, "Make it a grave worthy of one who wishes to embody perfection. Gather the bones of your laity. As they are the foundation of your church they will protect your body. Set away the bodies of your enemies as warning. Make the ground that is yours sacred. And preform this labor with your own hands, lift with your own back. If you cannot carry, cannot hold your own reputation up to the sky, don't expect that you can be an Ascendant, and hold up the beliefs of your brothers."

There was no more words after that. Sozun walked into the area, first dragging the bodies of his Scarlet enemies into a pile. He carefully removed their tattered clothing before working and ripping away their flesh, tearing it from the bone. For some he consumed, others he just tossed the meat away, trying to get a few of them down to their bare bones. He achieved this for just two, their heads removed and bodies only covered in large amounts of flesh at the joints. The others he ripped away random parts from and gave them the appearance of mutilation.

Back on went the Scarlet garb before Sozun dragged their bodies from place to place, laying them on the ground, tearing eye-lids open so those dead balls within their skull would stare into the sky till rot took them away.

Once finished he grunted, moving on to the house. In it he took a few needed supplies, rope, shovel, stone, chisel. Then he found dry wood and a stove. With a grin on his face he got a fire started in the stove, then from it scattered flame across the house. He used sticks of dry wood to spread it, making sure a good blaze had started before he exited. The flames slowly licked at the small house, over the hours consuming it in great orange flame, plumes of smoke rising into the sky.

Finally, he reached the final hill in his toil, the grave to build. With the unrest of the undead he started to dig away, the flames providing light as his shovel plunged deeper and deeper into the dark earth. When he could just put his palm over the top of the hole from within he started to expand, tossing soil this way and that under Kerak's watchful eye. He climbed up, dragged his brothers towards the hole. Then, one by one he tossed them in, sometimes disassembling them, till all that seemed to be below was a pile of bones and long dead bodies.

With two bodies left Sozun moved on to the stone. He pushed it to the head of the grave, so it would serve as a tombstone. Then, he dragged the bodies of his allies toward it, binding their bodies with the rope to each other and the stone, placing weapons in their hands. Then to the shovel again, replacing the ground and patting it down.

The bitter work was almost at end, Sozun's hand reaching for the chisel to inscribe the words that would seal his tomb.

Here lies Dark Priest Sozun Croz and Laity. While finally at peace, know that he will never rest.
Spoiler:
"In the Church of Rome there are two men who hold the fate of any saint in their hands. God's advocate who fights to see the saint canonized... And the Devil's advocate, also known as the Promoter of the Faith. The Promoter takes a skeptical view of the candidate, looks for holes, and over all opposes the saint on his path to canonization."

Mastering Death
Part One: The Light Slayer

"The Ascendant walks down two paths before he can hope to shed away the rot that binds him. The first of these paths is the road through death itself. The shadow is quick and deadly. Learn how to become the shadow."

These had been Kerak's words before they left to Silverpine. The two only traveled by night, avoiding both humans and other Forsaken. Kerak had remained quiet during their travel, leaving Sozun with not even an explanation of what he was going to do. Then finally, on their second night in the forest Kerak spoke.

"Today we will be meeting someone who will accompany us from time to time.. She will also be invaluable to you and someone to watch very carefully as you try to master death. She is Slayer Rebecca... And I expect you show her all due respect."

Sozun looked at Kerak with disbelief for a few moments, "A light slayer? Will be teaching me?"

"No. But I expect you pay close attention. The slayers train to become the perfect killers. They like the Ascendants are effective and quick. To embody those traits you must see them more frequently."

Sozun gave a small nod, "I see. So when will Rebecca be arriving?"

"In a few moments. But she won't be arriving. We will be going to her." With those words Kerak stood up, slinking over to stand under one of the larger shadows coming from a tree.

"I see. When do we plan to leave then?"

Kerak offered no immediate answer. Instead he placed a hand down on the ground, touching the shadow of the tree. His hand seemed to blend with the darkness. Then both seemed to become one, the shadow shifting an energy flowing through it, "We go now. Come."

Sozun walked over to Kerak, standing on top of the tree's shadow. It was just large enough that they could both be covered by it. Then, without another word, everything around Sozun went dark. Even his unholy eyes could not pierce the black that surrounded him, making the forsaken reach for his staff, unnerved.

He heard nothing for what felt like ages, and then the darkness suddenly faded away, replaced by the familiar sights of night. But the area was different. They now were overcast by the shadow of a rock. Before Sozun could open his mouth Kerak spoke, "Don't move."

Darkness again surrounded the two, this time quickly before it faded away, leaving them in the shadow of a cave's entrance. Sozun looked to Kerak for assurance though his feet were already moving, "We are here. Not used to not being able to see through the darkness are you?"

When Sozun was no longer in the shadows his head inclined, "Where were we? And what did you just do?"

"The ascendant can use shadows as a means of transportation. Through them we went, each one gates to the next. In a gate of pure darkness there is little for you to see Sozun." Kerak moved towards the entrance of the cave, "Now, come. We are expected."

Sozun followed, body relaxing a bit as his eyes pierced through the environment. The cave was bare, nothing but its rock walls to be viewed. The forsaken's eyes continually searched around as they walked deeper. Then, looking infront of him, he realized that he could no longer see his master. "Kerak, are you still there?"

Sozun's voice echoed through the cave, question bouncing off the walls. No reply came forward. He looked around a little while longer, moving deeper and deeper into the cave but saw nothing. Frowning, he took a seat on the ground, "Damned it..."

From the deep of the cavern came a feminine voice, reverberating through the air, "Come Croz. We don't have all day now do we?" Sozun stood up at the sound, it calling out a second time, "Forward. Do not stray and your eyes will find us."

He nodded to himself before walking at a quickened pace, each step from his bony feet making loud clicking sounds. Eventually his eyes made out the shape of another. Sozun continued to approach, slowly seeing her form. A female forsaken, wrapped in leathers of brown and dull green. She sat with her legs crossed on the ground, a put out fire in front of her.

"I take it you are Sozun Croz. I am Lightslayer Rebecca Lockford."

Sozun kneeled closing his eyes as he spoke, "It is an honor to meet someone with your ability and training. The prestige of the Lightslayers is well known."

Rebecca let out a shrill giggle, the sounds lasting as they moved through the area, "Of course it is. Listen Croz, I have no interest in pleasantries. Lets get straight to the point. I am here to find out one thing." Before another word was said Rebecca stood up, pulling daggers from her side, "To see whether you are worthy... or pass judgement that Kerak is just wasting his time."

Sozun gripped his staff tightly, holding it up as Rebecca twirled one of the daggers between her fingers, "Stand firm forsaken. Do not fear. I do not waste time killing the weak, rather you would suffer knowing your weakness. Now prepare yourself!" Rebecca's fingers held still, feet in rapid motion.

Sozun gathered his wit quickly arm thrusting forward, staff moving to strike. He heard a thud as he hit the ground, the force of impact sending shakes down the shaft of the staff and through his arm. Turning around, Sozun searched the room but saw no one. Then suddenly, he heard the light sound of footsteps.

Another turn. Once again, no one visible, even to his unholy eyes. Footsteps. Turn. Nothing. Footsteps. Turn. Nothing. "Stop hiding and face me." Sozun touched the bottom of his staff to the ground, examining the area. His eyes landed on two of the larger rocks, both at opposite sides of the room. He snorted. "Your game is good but this won't work forever."

He clicked his staff against the ground again, the shadows beneath him shifting. Then they appeared, tentacles, sharp teeth, growling noises from the depths of their mouths. Two shadowfiends, standing by the priest's side. With silent command each lunged behind one of the rocks, slamming down with their bodies and whipping around with tentacles. All Sozun heard was the dull crash of their bodies against the ground as they fell.

Then, a light drop. Footsteps. Both soundless compared to the fall of the two shadowfiends. Daggers came up and crossed around Sozun's neck. "I think I've won the game don't you?"

Sozun stood shocked as he saw the blades at his neck, cursing lightly. Another shrill laugh came from Rebecca before she withdrew her blades and delivered a kick into Sozun's back, sending the forsaken into the ground. "Are you sure this one is worth it Kerak," she called out. "He seems to have no skill whatsoever."

Kerak's voice echoed through the cave, "He is who I have chosen. Trust my judgement."

Rebecca nodded before turning to see Sozun slowly raising his head up. Right away her foot came down on his skull, pushing it back into the ground, "I'll trust you... to see the worthlessness of this one as time passes." She kneeled down, bringing her head close to Sozun, "And you to listen to these words. Power isn't for the weak. Only the tenacious and respectful can obtain it, and even then, not all of us can master death. Remember your place priest. You will not get much further."
Spoiler:
In Jewish folklore, Samael is the angel of death. His name means Poison of God. He is the one sent to Moses to receive him at his time of death. It's said that his presence was announced by the howling dogs:

"There was another angel in the seventh heaven, different in appearance from all the others, and of frightful mien. His height was so great, it would have taken five hundred years to cover a distance equal to it, and from the crown of his head to the soles of his feet he was studded with glaring eyes, at the sight of which the beholder fell prostrate in awe. 'This one,' said Metatron, addressing Moses, 'is Samael, who takes the soul away from man."

Mastering Death
Part Two: Divine Power of Fear

"Come now priest. If you want to defeat me you'll have to give it more than that. Make me tire, make my weapons fall, make me fear and respect your power."

Sozun ran forward again, staff swinging as rage now clouded his eyes, staring at Rebecca with frustration and anger. She parried the blow away with the rapier in her hands, letting out a shrieking laugh, "You call that power? This isn't even my best weapon and I can still defeat you. How can you command respect if you cannot kill an enemy? You'd be a failure."

Sozun held his staff closely to the ground, eyes looking up to glare at Rebecca's smiling face. "We'll see whose laughing...." Without another word Sozun dispersed into pure shadow energy, swirling around Rebecca. She returned to her ready stance, holding on tightly to the hilt of the blade while waiting for where the shadow would reappear.

Rebecca turned when she could not see shadow any longer, her blade moving right into Sozun's strike, making the two locked in position. Sozun's yellow eyes stared with surprise, Rebecca showing him her calm and demeaning face once again, "I'm still the one laughing priest am I not?"

She pushed on the blade hard, sending Sozun a little off balance before removing contact and kicking his legs from underneath him. Sozun toppled to the ground and before he coudl stand Rebecca came over him again, placing her foot on his chest and blade tip at his neck, "I think you're starting to like it down there."

Beneath the shadow of a tree, hidden from Silverpine's moonlight, Kerak stood, watching the fight. As it ended he spoke, "That is enough. I think he has had enough loss for one day. It is necessary he is still strong enough to walk when we move on."

Rebecca pushed a bit harder on Sozun's chest for a moment, making him grit his teeth. Then she lifted up putting her blade away, "Worthless."

Sozun stood up slowly, retrieving his staff without even taking a glance at the Lightslayer, trying to check his rage. He turned to face Kerak but she walked between the two, bag slung over her shoulders, "Ascendant, excuse me. I have duties to attend to this night. I will be back next evening. Hopefully, you can whip this one into shape. No offense to your abilities but I doubt it."

Kerak nodded, "Dark Lady watch over you."

Rebecca gave a small bow before rushing off, leaving Sozun to stare after her scornfully. When she was out of sight the forsaken turned his head towards Kerak, "Why must she be involved? I thought you would be teaching me."

"Through her I can see your follies. When the both of you fight, your strengths and weaknesses are revealed. You have no command over presence to bring her fear... You ignore the possibilities of manipulation and trickery to obtain your ends. And above all your wrath while in your eyes does not release from your body. Striving to correct these mistakes will better you."

Sozun nodded with a frown. "How can I fix these problems?"

"We can start with presence. Bring fear to your enemies. Learning how to cripple them with appearance alone will weaken their resolve to fight and make them easier prey. The humans in Silverpine will be enough for this task. They camp all around. Come and show them how to fear."

Kerak motioned with a finger and Sozun walked closer. When he stepped into the shadow of the tree he felt the familiar jerk as he was sucked within it, surrounded by darkness. When he resurfaced he was in the shadow of a wooden wall. Sozun's eyes readjusted looking around. In the distance he saw figures, lit up by torches. The same light came from behind the wall, moving through the cracks.

"Today's assignment is simple. Learn to cause fear in your enemies. Avoid the citizens inside of Pyrewood... Instead, go for the night watches that are already shaken by what creeps in the dark."

Sozun bowed his head, "As you say. I'll not fail this task." With that he stalked off. He moved carefully and deliberately, moving from shaded spot to shaded spot.

"It seems Rebecca is teaching Croz more than she realizes," Kerak said as he watched Sozun move and sneak with a newfound adeptness. He then faded from sight, leaving the forsaken to his training.

There were three humans close by, each with torches in their hand. Sozun smirked making a bit of rustling in the bushes he was hiding in. The closest one turned around, instinctually throwing a small axe into the bushes. When it made contact with the ground the other two turned.

"Easy John. Its the late shift but don't worry. We are close enough to the Village. We'll be fine."

John nodded, smiling weakly, "I suppose its just the nerves.." He walked over toward the bush, reaching into it. He felt something move past him, saw the purple shadowy energy briefly before it faded to his right. The human's heart started to beat hard, beads of sweat forming on his face.

"Did... did you see that?"

The other two humans turned around before looking back at the third, "Maybe we should get you back to take a break." They approached him, seeing his face go pale white. Before he spoke, one of the men dropped to the ground, screaming out in fear, terror rushing through his mind, worst nightmares filling his head.

John ran off right away, all reserves of courage fleeing his body. The last human turned to look at what stood before him. Sozun's unholy yellow eyes stared him back in the face, "Be easy human... I am simply here to bring your end."

Sozun left two dead human bodies on the ground as he walked away to find the next group to terrorize. In the distance, hiding behind the thick branches of a tree, someone dropped to the ground. A black cloak was draped over the person's body, hood casting shadow over the face.

The stranger watched Sozun as he left, then walked over to the two dead bodies, "Weakling." The stranger ran off, footsteps light in the grass, almost soundless.
Spoiler:
"This great dragon — the ancient serpent called the Devil, or Satan, the one deceiving the whole world — was thrown down to the earth with all his angels."

"The great dragon was hurled down -- that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray..."

Mastering Death
Part Three: Divine Power of Deception

"You try again and again but to no avail. Why not give up, it seems your destiny to fall to fall down after each blow I deliver. Or do you really think you have a chance a besting me?"

Sozun was down on one knee as Rebecca started to laughing, her head raised haughtily into the air as she let free her voice. His fingers clenched down the ground, sinking into the dirt. "Don't get so cocky..." As he spoke those words his body dispersed into pure shadow energy before fading out of sight.

Rebecca turned her head, glancing around, "Come now, haven't we had enough of these silly tricks?" She gripped her daggers tightly as she moved into the moonlight. From the bright she peered into the darkness, turning around slowly to scan the area. "Come on our Croz. Don't be afraid, it won't hurt for long I promise," Rebecca called out. A brief cold wind was her only response. After a few moments of silence she frowned, slowly creeping from the moonlight, "I'll deal with you myself."

Her eyes flickered to the side as she saw a rustling in one of the bushes. Rebecca's body lunged at the bit of shrubbery, daggers diving within to find nothing but branches and leaves within. She turned her head, watching for more movement. Just within her line of sight she saw movement again, from another bush. She waited to confirm the movement before pouncing, tearing the bush to shreds with her daggers but finding nothing within. "This game is getting old priest. Come out where I can rip you apart."

Another wind rushed by her, pointing her in the direction of yet another bush. This time she glared at the thing, spotting a pair of yellow orbs just like her own hiding within. "The fool." She ran at the bush, getting close before forcing her hand within. She grabbed, feeling the bony neck within the bushes before pulling it up, "I have you now..."

And from the bushes, Rebecca stared into her own face, the sight shocking enough to make her reel back in a moment of confusion. The shadowy illusion around Sozun quickly faded as he made his attack, staff outreached to deliver the blow, knocking Rebecca backwards. She hit the ground as Sozun ran to follow up the attack, "I've got you now!"

Fear now knocked out of her, Rebecca got to her feet, bringing her daggers up to parry against Sozun's attack. His forward momentum however proved enough to lock their weapons at a stalemate, both of them glaring at each other, neither force giving up.

"That is enough."

Both forsaken stepped away from each other at the sound of Kerak's echoing voice. They stood in silence as the ascendant moved to their patch of shade, eyes only on him, avoiding contact with each other. "Your match is a draw. Rebecca you are dismissed for the night. Sozun, you have more training to do."

Rebecca frowned but nodded, "As you say Kerak." She put her daggers away and without a second look at Sozun wandered off into the darkness.

Once gone Sozun smirked a bit, turning to Kerak, "Well, how was that? The training with the humans is finally paying off. Give it a few more days and I'll be able to beat her easily... I could have probably done it today with a bit more time."

Kerak merely shook his head, "You are better now Sozun but not yet there. Nights of work has improved your command over fear... Yet your ability to deceive and manipulate... As well as your inner wrath have still not been unlocked. You need more work and tonight's exercise will help in that. Now..."

Sozun, without further instruction, stepped close to Kerak, into the shadow he stood in. He felt the darkness surround him, saw its impenetrable depths, before returning to a different part of the world as he knows it. It had become a routine he was getting used to, scanning the area to find out where he was, "We aren't far from Ambermill... Won't we have to worry about the human mages around here?"

"Those human mages are exactly why you are here. Today you will continue your practice with the art of mind control. I find that after forceful manipulation is mastered one can move on to the truly subtle art and master it as well. Use the human mages to fight against Pyrewood watches if you can... Make sure not to cause a ruckus. We wouldn't want them paying too much attention to our activities." Sozun nodded before his mentor disappeared into the shadows once again. Then the forsaken went off on his own, skulking through the area in search of targets.

"Do you understand what I'm telling you? There is a forsaken who lurks in your part of Silverpine, threatening the lives of your people. You must act.

In the moonlight stood two figures, a human in mail armor with a sword on his back, and the speaker, dressed in a black cloak and hood. "You haven't a moment to waste... Or are those bodies not enough to convince you?"

The human man cursed under his breath before nodding, "Do you know where this abomination will be?"

"Near Ambermill... Tonight. Go off and slay him. Bring others. Else it will be dangerous. Do not alert Pyrewood. A paladin like yourself and a warrior or two should be enough."

"Of course. Light protect you," the human said before saluting and wandering off.

When out of sight the robbed one sneered, hands coming up to push away the hood, Rebecca's face underneath. She started into the moonlight, "Won't be long now..." She tapped the rapier at her side before moving off on her own through the forest.

Sozun smirked. His hand moved slowly and deliberately, fingers going one at a time as a human moved strangely infront of him, in sync to his movements. Another human watched in horror, gazing between his comrade and Sozun's eyes, overclouded with shadow. It was all theatrics of course and Sozun knew it. The real control was not from his fingers, but from his mind.

"Now, battle."

The human under his control raised up his hands, sending a flurry of ice bolts at his ally, impaling his body multiple times. The human dropped to the ground dead, blood soaking the dirt. He had been the third, Sozun moving his mental minion forward, "Good work. Now if only I..."

An arrow came from the bushes, impaling Sozun's minion in the chest. The forsaken broke contact to look around, the human's screams now filling the air with his consciousness restored. Three men came forward, two with swords, the last with his arrow teetered on Sozun.

"Foul creature! We will destroy you for haunting our lands!"

Sozun bit deeply into his lip. "This doesn't look too good..."

From above Rebecca watched them, dressed in her black cloak, hiding in the branches and leaves. A cruel smirk was fixed onto her face, "Lets see how well you do now weakling."
Spoiler:
"In Islamic lore, Azrael is the angel of death, given the power to separate the soul of man from the body. His name means 'help of God.'

... And Azrael has a power so great that he must be restrained with 70,000 chains of a 1000 years journey's length each. His appearance was so awe-inspiring that other angels fainted at his sight. He walks before the creatures of God with a million veils, hiding the dark beauty that makes the mortal soul fall in love with death."

Mastering Death
Part Four: Divine Power of Wrath

"I'll not fall to humans... Not today as this cannot be my destiny. No, there must be more that awaits me... I have struggled for this long so far, it won't all be taken away tonight!"

Arrows came at Sozun from long distance, but in the darkness the human's eyes could not see with clarity. The undead saw them as clear as he would have in the daylight, moving away from the poorly aimed shots, allowing them to land in the grass.

The second human ran forward, sword in his hands as he cried into the night. As he approached he saw Sozun's figure fading, becoming darker and more mixed into the night itself before disappearing all together. The human stood still, looking around and shouting out into the air, "I know you are still here fiend! Come and face my blade for the people you've killed."

The other two humans looked on silently as their ally stood alone in the dark. For a while he did not move or speak, back turned to them as he looked into the empty night. The grip on his blade became tighter, the shiver down is spine notable. Even the cool breeze as it passed him made flesh tremble and hairs stand up on end. He felt a fear that was not his own. And then, he felt a presence within his mind.

Eyes became overcast with shadow as the human turned around for face the others. He brought his sword up to his chest, both hands now on the hilt, blade aimed at his own skin. The human's will had been broken through. By his own hand his sword cut through flesh and pierced deeply into his body. Then, with an expressionless face he ripped the sword away, allowing the blood to gush out.

It poured down on his feet, staining the ground as he leaked. And as the man came down to his knees, the shadow that clouded his mind released its grasp. Sense came back to the human, he felt the pain of the wound, his body yelling out its agony as life spilled from his body. But through the suffering, he did not scream. It was past that time, his consciousness already too weak. His head merely tilted up, eyes staring before glossing over. And head tilting down. And chest falling to the ground.

And there, in the spot where the human saw his last sight, stood Sozun, glaring back at him with unholy yellow eyes. And it would be death, that he remembered if ever given a next life.

Sozun's head turned to the two awestruck humans, both standing silent and confused, petrified by fear. He smiled. The forsaken could see it in their pale, bloodless faces. "Filth. Did you humans really thing you could beat me? I who fate wills on, I who will inherit power at whatever cost. I who even death's mighty chains could not contain. Prepare yourselves now. Death is on its way."

From the trees, Rebecca removed her hood, glaring down at Sozun. Even she felt a shiver run through her spine, though the fear just fueled her anger. "How can he... Only weeks have passed. Yet he speaks as if he is a prophet," she muttered. "He thinks that he truly understands the cult... As if it were working for him. Well, he will soon find that he is sorely mistaken."

Rebecca turned away from the sight, putting her hood up before walking off, "The night is still young Croz... Lets see how powerful your fate is."

Meanwhile Sozun chased down the two humans with a rage he never felt before. It quaked in his bones and through his being, almost as if the very force of the emotion was running within him. It was like the feeling brought by the use of magic for a Forsaken. That rush of a force that is alive in its own way, bringing the illusion that your body too is once again living.

He caught up to the archer first, doing away with him quickly. The power of death was in Sozun's bones now and he unleashed it on the flesh of the man. Through wielded wrath Sozun struck down his foe, allowing him to fall to the ground as the chase continued on.

The human leader ran hard on the ground. But it didn't matter. This flash of power in Sozun, it was almost like inspiration breathing into his body, making him a force to be reckoned with. The forsaken let out a earsplitting howl, making the human's flesh feel the commanding presence of fear. He fell to his knees, losing sight of all that was good in the world for him, losing sight of his light.

And then Sozun approached, looking down at the human with cruel yellow eyes, "Be grateful. You were given the honor of seeing the very embodiment of death before your bitter end. Gaze upon my perfection before you die."

Even as he turned his head away fate had already decided that he too would see death before dying. Sozun grabbed him by the shoulders, bony hands pulling the human close. Still the human turned the other cheek, keeping eyes closed, muttering to the light to deliver him. The forsaken took him by the head and twisted it forward. Sozun's mind forced its way into the human's skull, making his eyes pry open before handing him over control.

And they both gazed into each others eyes. The mortal eyes of man met the horrid, hellish eyes of a devil, an unholy perversion of what mankind once was. The fear of death was replaced in these moments, replaced by an emotion the human could not understand. Then his eyes slowly became still. Sozun's grip relaxed as the human it the ground dead from shock. The forsaken left him, allowing the human's eyes to stare up into the night sky, and in death see clearly the darkness.

"This power that I feel running through me... Could it possibly be?"

A voice came from behind Sozun, its echoing sound making him turn to face the shadowy figure infront of him, "Yes Sozun... you feel the power that is within you. You have unlocked your wrath and so yourself.... The time is nearing."

Spoiler:
Rebecca pointed a gloved hand down at a human who lay on the ground, a single sword wound deep within his chest and dried blood on the grass. "Beware... you may soon see that darkness itself is trying to threaten you here.. There are others close by."

Behind her a human growled down at the sight, "We have dealt with the dark before and won. This will not be any different. This devil will not leave Silverpine alive."

"I have the utmost confidence in you to protect these lands..."
Spoiler:
The archangel Saint Michael is in the Catholic tradition leader of the Army of God. He is the enemy of Satan and his name itself asks the question, 'Who is like God?'

"And there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. The great dragon was hurled down — that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him."

Mastering Death
Part Five: Servant of God

"It is time that we depart. I have quickly scouted the area... It seems that you've been able to attract quite a bit of attention. There are ambush parties readying themselves... Without Rebecca we are only two and you still are not an Ascendant. We will travel to Hillsbrad... There we can escape them... though not forever."

They moved moved as quickly as possible, hiding in the shadows, avoiding what they could. As master and student fled through Silverpine the clouds started to storm, rain pouring down in the night, slowly drenching the land.

It was past Pyrewood village, near a hilly region, that Rebecca hid in the trees, watching and waiting for the two. Her hood was down as she sat, eyes constantly scanning the area, "Come out Sozun... We're waiting for you." She knew where the ambush teams were set up and had radio contact with them just incase. "It won't be long now..."

And she was right. Less than an hour later she would see movement. She took out a spyscope and looked out into the night. "No matter where you hide Croz... I will find you." Her hands reached for the small radio, holding a button and speaking into it, "Squad three, get ready. Everyone, meet in their location. The blight has arrived." Rebecca than tossed her hood on, darkness cast over her face by it as always. Last, she took her rapier before jumping down from the trees onto the ground and running off, "Come on Sozun... time we show the truth of your might.

Sozun and Kerak moved quickly through the trees and rocks, trying to avoid making sound. Kerak motioned with a shadowy hand, his voice making low echos, "Quickly, the road is just up ahead." Sozun nodded, the two finally exiting the brush, onto the stone path. As Sozun got ready to break into a run he saw Kerak standing silently. When his eyes followed those of the ascendant he saw six figures infront of them. Five were humans, wearing mail with swords unsheathed. The last figure was covered in a black garb and hood, shadow cast over her face.

Before any spoke more humans followed, another group of five appearing on the path but behind them, and even more on their way. Then, one man stepped forward, raising his voice, "Today the light will punish you who dare try and threaten our lands with your darkness. Death to the shadow!"

The men cheered banging their hands against metal links and round shields, each man taking steps forward. Even as they did Sozun's eyes fell on the hooded figure, moving backwards, away from the crowd. Then his thoughts were distracted by Kerak's voice, "I will deal with these... You must only be ready to run down this path when I make my attack. Are you ready?"

The forsaken nodded hastily, glancing over to Kerak. In the corner of his eyes he saw the hooded figure make a run for it in the other direction, perking a bow curiously. But then his attention returned to Kerak as the ascendant spoke.

"You who dare threaten the might of shadow... Pray for mercy from your light. Be warned, because no weapon you wield will scare me from your path! His words were laced with the power of fear, sending chills down the throats of his attackers. Then, before they regained confidence Kerak's body seemed to rumble from within. One tendril of shadow forced its way out, then two, three, the numbers rising.

Sozun began to run as he saw the scene unfold, shadowy tendrils erupting from Kerak in numbers to quickly rising to count. The tendrils made their ways through the attackers, forcing through their bodies and leaving foes on the ground in crippling pain. Human shouts were heard as Sozun continued to run towards the pass at the end of the road. As he got further away the screams faded, leaving only his own feet and the splashing of water.

When he got closer to the passage he saw the silhouette of someone up ahead. The forsaken slowed his pace, staff at the ready as he walked forward, finding himself moving closer to the hooded figure from before. He slowed to a stop, facing her, rain pouring down on the both of them. She seemed to have been waiting, deliberately blocking the way through the pass. In her hands she held a rapier, brandishing it in the air.

She was Rebecca, and through the thick darkness cast over her face she spoke, "You run away from the danger? Is this the way of the powerful, to flee? What a weakling you are."

Sozun growled before rushing at Rebecca his staff coming to clash against her blade, both of them locked together. Sozun could only stare at her hood, the darkness cast over her face somehow impenetrable, even to his eyes. "Enchantment... Afraid to show your face? How about you tell me before I rip it from your mind. Who are you?"

Rebecca did not speak, just seeming to match Sozun's force. Then she pushed hard, her blade sliding against his staff before pushing him backwards under her power. As Sozun staggered a few steps she came at him again, slamming her blade at him again and again.

Sozun made a few clumsy parries before jumping backwards, attempting to give himself a chance to regain footing. It wouldn't matter though, Rebecca still forcing him back constantly, not letting up her attack. The rain started to pour down on the two fighters, drenching their clothing and making the mud run onto the path.

Rebecca's leg came up, delivering a blow to Sozun's chest, sending him skidding down the path. The forsaken stuck his staff into the ground to slow the slide, letting it move deep into the moist ground and slurry that was forming. After a few moments he stood, pulling his staff from the dirt and mud and placing it back onto the wet path.

"Tell me..."

Rebecca held up her rapier into the air once again, "Tell me why he picked you. Without another word she came charging at him again, sword slashing angrily at Sozun's body, thrusting again and again in a flurry of motion. Rain splashed all around, drops as they hit the ground joining the cacophony of sound as Rebecca's blade hit again and again on Sozun's body. Thrusts forced their way through his robes and body.

Try as he might Sozun couldn't keep up, forcing many of the blows away, but unable to stop them all. Stray slashes would make a cut through his defense, Rebecca's fury pushing him backwards. Then, her sword came up, knocking Sozun's staff with such a force that it flew away from his hands. The forsaken took a few steps backwards in retreat, reaching into his robe to pull out his wand, holding it prepared, "I'm not done yet...

Sozun watched as Rebecca restored her stance before raising his wand up with one hand, "Prepare yourself!" From his wand came sparks, and then a dark energy emanated from it. The forsaken waved the wand, releasing bolts of shadow, each flick and wave sending purple and black blasts words Rebecca, forcing themselves through the heavy rain at their target.

Rebecca raised her rapier, cutting through the first through blows. Then she ducked and dodge, weaving her way through the unrelenting blasts sent by Sozun. Even as she moved forward Sozun moved backwards, trying to maintain the space between them. Neither gave up, Sozun's anger growing with every failed attack.

He withdrew the wand, holding out a hand, eyes overclouding with darkness, "Die!" From his call came a powerful mental blow, shadow forcing its way into Rebecca's mind, making her stagger backwards in pain. Sozun brought his wand back up, unleashing an onslaught of shadow attacks, sending on after another, blows slamming into Rebecca before she could manage to block them.

Sozun advanced forward continuing the attack, one after another. Then, he rushed in, eyes overclouding with shadow, hand outreached. Rebecca stood an open target, seeming to be crumbled over in pain as Sozun ran towards her. Then, just before he made his move Rebecca's hand forced her sword forward, striking right through Sozun's lower body, just missing his stomach a little to the left.

The forsaken froze, his eyes looking into the darkness of the hood, into the darkness that he still could not pierce. From within came laughter, head tossed up to cackle into the raining sky. "Foolish weakling... did you really think you could defeat me? Your weak rage? I feel ashamed for crushing such a pathetic insect."

Sozun stared down at the blade, his wand dropped to the ground. Rebecca blinked, looking at the priest, his hand now trying to force the blade out out him, pulling hard to free it from his body, "At times... it seems all I can find are those who stand against me... Those who berate me. Even the world itself seems against me..."

Rebecca felt her blade shake as Sozun's body slid away from it, the forsaken moving backwards, grin on his face as he started into her dark hood, "But I realize the truth... The challenges that cruel destiny has placed on my path. But a grim fate fuels this body, tenacious, powerful, unstoppable. And its force will tear down every obstacle on my path to power."

It was then that Sozun felt a force run through him, strange yet known, a darkness deep within his bones. It was the power of his faith. His body seemed to ooze with the power, making his form shift between something solid and something that blended in with the night. The rain that dropped on him would fall through. Some would seem suspended in his body, slowing down. The forsaken raised his hands up, seeing blackened skin and constant shifting.

And Rebecca looked at him awestruck. She watched as his form started to solidify, the shape the same but something more intangible to him. He had not yet become like Kerak, not yet a fully living shadow. Yet his body had become somewhat see-through, a mix between substance and nothingness. The proof was there though and she could see it clearly, glancing down at her own blade before speaking to herself, "That's why he picked you...."

Sozun felt his inner shadow stabilize, his shifting finally coming to rest. He turned his head to face his foe, ready now, unwilling to back down. But, to his surprise, he saw nothing but the rain as it poured, and an empty road. The forsaken reached down to pick up his staff, then with his new darkness walked on down his wicked path.

Spoiler:
"...And when Antichrist shall have set up his kingdom on earth, it is St Michael who will unfurl once more the standard of the cross, sound the last trumpet, bind together the false prophet and the beast and hurl them for all eternity into the burning pool."
Reminiscence

"Hillsbrad. How long has it been... Since I last wandered through..."

"Sozun, grab your staff, its time to go."

The forsaken nodded, picking up his weapon with one hand and tossing a hood over his head before opening the door. Outside, stood three other forsaken and a sin'dorei death knight. The forsaken in the lead was dressed in white and motioned for them to all follow as he slowly limped out of the building. Sozun himself walked directly behind him, behind the man he now knew as Malvren, the others following along.

"Today," Malvren said, "we will be splitting. Sozun, go with Thomas and Loc towards the farm on the map. You must be quick. There is a fleshling who plans to make journey today to Stormwind... He holds vital information. Anryia, you accompany me."

Sozun nodded, looking back as Loc, a forsaken dressed in purple robes, and Thomas, dressed in brown leathers, came to his side. Sozun turned to face Malvren again as Anryia walked up next to him, "And how should I gather the information Dark Priest?"

"Rip it from his mind... His life does not matter, only that you gather whatever knowledge you can."

Another nod and then they would all part from the Mill. Sozun climbed upon his deathcharger as did Thomas. Loc leaped upon a summoned felsteed. The three pulled hoods down and rode through the evening, arriving at the farm when the blackest night had finally came upon them... They knew not the disaster that awaited them.

Sozun ran through the darkness, his own speed surprising him. "It must be the effects of this... transformation. I am as Kerak said I would be, a quick and deadly shadow." He took leaps as he ran, never feeling so in control, faster than he ever had been before. "This shadowy flesh... It frees me from the bones I once had, the dead muscles that only could weigh me down. Perhaps it's this freedom from the body that allows my form to fly across the ground."

As Sozun reached the top of a hill with ease something bright hit the corner of his eye. Both darkened spheres turned towards the source, seeing illumination in the form of flame. His eyes settled there for a while, taking the scene in. A small group of houses and barns, separated by patches of farmland. And as Sozun continued to stare he saw the flames dotted the barns all around. Some on the farmlands, others on the top of buildings.

"There is a raid going on down there..." His ears could now hear clearly the screams being carried along the wind. The sweet aroma of burning wood mixed with the putrid stench of burning flesh. And he could see their shadow's moving in the light, while their bodies hacked away at each other.

Sozun jumped from the way as a human tried to plunge his broadsword into the forsaken's belly. Then, with a wave of his wand Sozun sent dark bolts again and again, pounding into the human's chest until he laid dead. The forsaken turned, seeing Thomas engaged with another foe, blasting at the human again and again with wand until he too fell.

Thomas turned surprised before spotting Sozun and nodding his thanks. Then he motioned to the door, wide open, "I think Loc went that way to chase down the others.."

Sozun's eyes turned to look at the door as well, a strange orange light coming from outside. He noticed the light in the windows as well, moving constantly, casting shadows all around. The two forsaken exchanged looks before rushing out, Thomas in the lead. Once outside they paused. All around them, was fire, as if the world itself were burning.

"I'll find Loc! You look for the human and apprehend him," Sozun called out to his companion. Thomas nodded before running off, dagger held tightly as he avoided the flames.

The ascendant arrived at the bottom of the hill, the burning farms now only feet away. Ash was in the air, and strewn about were the bodies of humans. He still heard the screams, but deeper inside. Sozun lifted up on of the bodies with both hands, that of a woman. He saw what looked to be bite marks, and places where her flesh seemed torn away. "I suppose this means that my brothers are here. I can't think of another reason why I'd find a half-eaten human." He chuckled, for a moment his voice echoing out. Then tossing the human aside, he stepped into the fiery world.

On the ground, lay Loc. His body was mangled, his robes torn to shreds. Yellow spheres were no more, only a useless corpse. Sozun stared down with confusion. "How did the humans beat you...? Where did those bastards go. It makes no sense at all."

Sozun spotted a human running in fear. The man screamed as if being chased down by the the greatest of the Legion itself, eyes tortured with ever step he took. Over the bodies of other humans he ran and tripped over but it did not matter. Fear was in control and it forced him to move.

The forsaken held out a shadowy hand in the mans eyesight, drawing his attention away from the scene. The human's eyes traveled up, to the body, and then, in shock, he hit the floor, falling backwards and landing with a thud, shivers running down him.

"What you run from human... Is it a worst fate than what stands before you now?" The man did not respond and Sozun laughed again, his voice echoing as he did. "Why ask you... Fear has rooted itself too deeply. Please human, allow me to end your miserable existence."

"Thomas, we must leave now... Loc has fallen, the mission is compromised... We have no tim-"

Sozun cut off as he saw who Thomas was chasing after. Rage filled his body as he started to run as hard as he could, muscles feeling no burn other than the stinging heat of Sozun's anger. "Him... he must know... And when we find him, I'll rip every shred from his mind."

The human fell dead on the ground as Sozun walked past him. The ground was blackened now, heavy with ash. His eyes searched for answers.
Mastering Undeath
Part One: Loa

"These dreaded flames... In each one I keep seeing those memories."

Sozun followed after Thomas, the two forsaken chasing down a human in brown cloth clothing. Sozun's eyes gazed over Thomas' back. In the human's arms was a broadsword with a shining, golden hilt. Sozun returned his eyes to his environment, falling a little behind Thomas. As soon as he did he heard his companion's screams.

A flash of holy light escaped the hands of the human they chased, hitting Thomas in the shoulder and burning him greatly. Thomas knelt on the ground, grabbing his shoulder tightly while Sozun turned and ran up to him.

"No go," Thomas said. "Hurry and catch him."

Sozun nodded before continuing the chase.

From the smoke Sozun saw a large bluish arm emerge, grasping the neck of a human woman. The forsaken turned, staff in his hands, eyes looking closely. As the smoke faded away he saw now. A house, its door wide open, window's broken with flame pouring out. And the blue arm, it was attached to the body of a troll bearing mail armor and long tusks. The woman tried to scream but could only make a sound, somewhere between choking and gasping for air.

Soon the woman was unconscious and the troll tossed her to the floor before taking the spear from his back and stabbing her through the stomach viciously. The blood splattered all around before the troll seem to be satisfied.

Sozun smirked, nodding to himself, "I see now. An attack. Enjoying burning down a few humans?"

The troll's body turned, spear pointed forward and ready. But once he spotted Sozun the blood drained from his face, his body suddenly tense with worry mixed with a bit of fear. And something else, but it was a look Sozun could not put his finger on. When the troll did not speak Sozun stepped forward, keeping his staff at the ready, "What, I haven't frightened you have I?"

Involuntarily the troll took a step back. When he noticed Sozun smiling again he hesitantly took that same step forward again. Then, he spoke, "Not every day do I be meetin' dark loas mon."

Sozun blinked. He held the troll's stare for a moment longer before responding, "And I don't meet a bloodthirsty troll everyday. That's besides the point though." Sozun held a shadowy hand out towards the flaming building, "What exactly is going on here?"

The troll's eyes moved towards the building before back to Sozun. He took his spear and placed it on his back. Then, he drew a knife and went down to the human, cutting her scalp off while speaking, "We be collectin' scalps mon. These here be the ones who killed me bro when we was travelin' through. I said, we should get us some revenge.

Sozun put his staff away as he watched the troll work. Then his eyes narrowed, "We? How many are with you?

"Bout ten others dependin' on how many still livin'. Mostly warriors though we got us a good mon who knows the voodoo. Come, we go gather them up."

Sozun nodded and the troll raised up. He put the dagger away in his sheath and held the scalp in his hands before walking past the building. "Also, me name is Kezzet loa. Case joo wanted to know." Sozun gave no response other than following his eyes still suspiciously moving between Kezzet and the area. Soon however, those eyes wandered to the fires, and his was hearing drowned out by screams.

Another scream came from Sozun's mouth. It was the second time that the human's holy energy had grazed him. The forsaken had caught up and so the human turned around and started to battle hard, beating Sozun back. Between the slow swings of his blade the human would send quick bursts of holy flame at Sozun's undead flesh. Each was painful but they were weak, the human trying to focus more on his swordplay and add the additional attacks to keep Sozun busy.

Eventually Sozun's metal staff clashed with the steel blade. It was then that the forsaken's unholy eyes met those of his foe, the two staring at each other face to face. "You'll pay," Sozun muttered. The human said nothing in return, blue eyes just staring angrily at Sozun's face.

The two disengaged, each jumping backwards. Then, Sozun lunged forward, surprising the human. He grabbed the man's head, eyes becoming overclouded with dark energy. Screams, cries of agony came from the humans mouth as he felt Sozun rip and tear through his mind, searching for memories.

Sozun turned his head away from the flames. Kezzet stood facing him now and behind him were seven trolls of similar height and blue skin. Most wore armor of mail similar in design to the troll who lead Sozun here. Two were in leathers and one had colorful robes and a white mask. All however wore an expression similar to Kezzet's when first spotting the ascendant, a mixture of worry, fear, and that same something that made Sozun narrow his eyes as it eluded him.

"Dis be my crew mon. I give joo they names but I still don't even know yours."

Sozun smirked, giving a nod, "Ah, I've forgotten my manners in all this. Sozun Croz at your service. But don't worry, I don't need the names of your friends. You're the leader so your name will do."

Kezzet nodded before speaking again, first saying something in trollish to the group. Then as they all went off Kezzet turned his attention back to Sozun, "We gotta be goin' soon, else sun gonna be out and we all gonna get it. And with three of my men dead I feel I gotta avenge them too."

"You're going to go after more humans? When?"

Kezzet looked at Sozun for a moment before nodding to himself and shrugging, "Don't know. Probably in the week, 'fore hoomies start gettin' on our trails." One of Kezzet's furry brows perked up, "Joo want in don't ya?"

The human broke away, slamming his sword into Sozun's chest before running off. Sozun tried to catch him but was unable to. When he returned to Thomas' side he shook his head, "I wasn't able to kill him... I couldn't even find any useful information. By now the man could be anywhere and I doubt we'll find him..."

Thomas slowly rose from the ground, "This isn't going to be an easy thing to report. If I may, I think we should get Loc's body, alert the others and then put Hillsbrad to our backs. Might be unwise to return very soon."

Sozun snorted, nodding. He looked into the flames angrily, "I did manage to find out his name... Galma. Peter Galma. If I ever run into him again... I'll rip him to shreds to avenge Loc."

Thomas nodded, "And Hillsbrad. Should I ever return to this place I'll make sure I do everything in my power to make the humans here suffer for Loc's death."

"As will I..."

"Very much so... Lets just say I have a bit of revenge on my mind as well.

Spoiler:
"Sir, we have reports of another burning in Hillsbrad. Also, mentions of a 'shadow' have come from some of the commonfolk. One that walks."

Galma frowned, tapping his fingers against the table, "This isn't good. First that hooded figure tells us about the shadow here in Silverpine... We lost a lot of good men there with no returns. Now we'll be running to Hillsbrad to hunt the thing?" Galma thought back to Rebecca, the stranger who warned them before. Her warnings however did them no good in the long run.

"We haven't a choice sir. We cannot just ignore this."

"You're right of course. Very well. How many hunters do we have left?"

"Twenty sir. Each has been well paid and those who haven't seem zealous enough to risk their lives to destroy this shadow."

"If only they were all zealous enough. Very well, tell them to gather their horses. We are going to put an end to this nasty business once and for all."

"Before we leave tell me something Kezzet."

"Ya mon?"

"When you saw me, I noticed it in your eyes. I noticed the same thing in your men's eyes when they saw me. Now I know. Familiarity." Sozun's eyes narrowed suspiciously, "I'm not the first... dark loa you have seen am I?"
Spoiler:
"By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by our own authority, we pronounce, declare, and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory."

Mastering Undeath
Part Two: The Perfect State

"Joo be right. We saw another loa up here. Look jus' like you too mon. Said he was searchin' for somethin'. Our voodoo mon said it be unwise disturbin' him like we was so I had me crew move on. That one mon, him had somethin' scary bout him. Don't know how to explain it, but he's different from joo."

Sozun frowned. Two stood just outside Tarren Mill, the other trolls sent within gather supplies. The ascendant looked up, glaring at the rays of sunlight. They irritated him but nothing more. Then, turning back to Kezzet, he spoke, "What is it exactly? What makes us so different?"

The troll rubbed one of his tusks for a moment, thinking the question over. Then he waved a finger, eyes brightening, "Its like me mother would say. The lion cub got fangs, but its mama can use them. Just seein' that other mon, it gave me and the others shivers. Him was fierce, truly frightenin'. Joo mon, joo have it too but..." Kezzet stared at Sozun for a moment, "Somethin' be missin'. Can't say what it is. Just know its not there."

Before Sozun got to speak one of the other trolls came by, gazing over Sozun quickly before turning his attention to Kezzet and giving him a nod. Then came a few mutters in trollish which Kezzet replied to in the same language. Once finished the troll wandered off and Kezzet turned, "Crew be done. Time for us to get goin' and preparin'. You commin' mon?"

The ascendant opened his mouth, then paused for a moment before speaking, "The other. Where did you see him? Do you know where he was going or might be?"

Kezzet gave a small nod of his head, "Should be north of here. We pointed him towards a few caves up there. Joo might find him there."

"Very well. I will take my leave in search of him. Hopefully I'll find you before your next attack."

The troll gave another nod before the two parted. Once out of the Mill Sozun broke into a sprint, pushing himself as quickly as he could. As the sun beat down on him and his legs continued to move the ascendant frowned, "My speed... Its not what it was last night." His eyes turned up toward the sun, its light providing a source of irritation. At first Sozun stared hatefully at it, then he blinked, stopping and gazing upward, "Hrm. This irritation. My lack of speed. Perhaps you have something to do with this." With a frown he continued on.

Eventually he spotted it up ahead. A dark opening into one of the hills. "That must be it." Sozun let himself break into full run, slowing down only as he reached the cave's entrance. His eyes peered inside, cleaving away the darkness to see the emptiness within, a small room with a single passage in the very back that led deeper into the hill. Sozun stepped within the cave, his body joining the darkness of the cave and disappearing within it. He wandered to the passage within, narrow but not enough to prevent his entry.

"In here then," Sozun said to himself. He moved on, slowly diving further into the cave. The walls were close together and the passage long. As Sozun reached the end he saw the gradual widening of the space. Soon he found himself in a second area, much like the first. Dark and empty. He took another glance, this time blinking. There was something else, but his eyes could not focus on it. Some other form in the room.

"So you still live after all," came a voice that seemed to echo as it escaped, those echos bouncing around the room unaided. The voice came from Kerak, and he got to his feet as he spoke, turning around to face Sozun, "And from the look of it you've mastered death on your way here. Congratulations young ascendant."

Sozun moved within, his eyes starting to focus on Kerak now, able to see a definite outline because of his movements. He gave a small bow to his instructor before speaking, "Ascendant Kerak. I was hoping it would be you that I'd find here. A group of trolls that you came across told me of your location."

"I see. And why exactly have you come Sozun? Have you not ascended? What could you further desire?"

Once again, a frown adorned Sozun's face. "There is more to this isn't there? When the trolls spoke of the difference between you and I, well... I'm missing something. I'm not a full ascendant yet. This form has made me faster yes. Even stealthier. But the difference between you and I cannot simply be experience."

Kerak acknowledged Sozun, first only by the incline of his head. Then, he pointed to Sozun's weapon, "Hand me your staff."

Sozun nodded, moving over to Kerak and holding the staff out. When Kerak reached to grab it his shadowy hands passed through the metal rod. Again he tried, yielding the same result. He looked to Sozun a cacophony of echos coming from his mouth, "To be a truly free soul... To lose the physical world almost completely. To become the deadly shadow, one free of emotion, is to master the shadowy state you find yourself in. You must master your undeath. Mastery of the undead state will lead to the incorporeal perfection you seek, and the true power that comes with ascendancy."

Kerak waved the staff away and Sozun placed it back on his back, "And how does one master undeath?"

"You're about to find out. But I must first give you a word of warning. Emotion will be torn away. Physical objects will be out of your reach, the mundane world a thing you will nevermore belong to. Not only this, but I'm sure you've recently noticed discomfort brought by the light. Do what I ask and that discomfort will become crippling weakness. Even smaller sources of light will tamper with power, and the holy will bring a pain that you have never known."

Sozun perked a brow, gazing steadily at Kerak, "I took on this path to be the voice of the cult. No, the very cult itself, the embodiment of the darkness that my people believe in. That I believe in. The pain is worth it. The sacrifice will lead me to deification."

Kerak's dark lips curled up into a smile, "Good. Now sit, and close your eyes. This day you will be taken. Consumed by the shadows, and brought forever more to eternal darkness."

Sozun did as instructed, both shadowy figures sitting on the ground, facing each other. Sozun's darkened eyelids slipped over his eyes, now only listening to Kerak's words, "Remove the wind that brushes against your body. Remove the cold stone that you feel beneath your feet. Forget the touch of all things, be it the earth or the sky. And become one with the mind, the shadows, and the soul. Allow it all to consume you, and raise you up into glory."
Spoiler:
Heroic Virtue is the term used to explain the virtue of the Christian martyrs of old as well as the saints of today."...it connotes a degree of bravery, fame, and distinction which places a man high above his fellows"

"As charity stands at the summit of all virtues, so faith stands at their foundation. For by faith God is first apprehended, and the soul lifted up to supernatural life. Faith is the secret of one's conscience; to the world it is made manifest by the good works in which it lives, faith without works is dead. Such works are: the external profession of faith, strict observance of the Divine commands, prayer, filial devotion to the Church, the fear of God, the horror of sin, penance for sins committed, patience in adversity, etc. All or any of these attain the grade of heroicity when practiced with unflagging perseverance, during a long period of time, or under circumstances so trying that by them men of but ordinary perfection would be deterred from acting."

Mastering Undeath
Part Three: Of Faith and Heroic Virtue

"Awaken Sozun. We have arrived... And it is here that you will discover your inner darkness. You will have to search deep inside yourself for the answer to what your being yearns for. But first, you must open your eyes."

Sozun's eyelids slid up, showing the unholy spheres behind them a world of darkness. The sky, the ground, all blackened. He saw no signs of life, no movement. The black clouds held still, not even the smallest breeze to push them. The earth beneath his feet grew no plants, nor was it home to any creature. Barren and empty. Sozun sat, looking through, searching but seeing nothing at all. "What is this place?"

Kerak's echoing voice emerged, from nowhere and everywhere all at once, "This place is where you must find the truth that all forsaken hold within. We were born of shadow. But the physical corpse is the form we took on, too weak. The true shadow hid within ourselves, and now you have come to its lair."

Sozun looked around, searching for the source of Kerak's voice. No matter where he turned he could only see the empty world around him. "Kerak, where are you?"

The answer came again from echos in every direction, "In a place where you cannot reach me. But this is no longer important. Focus Sozun. Your moment has come. Its time to embody your inner darkness." Sozun responded with a nod, slowly standing up from the infertile ground. He brushed himself off before starting to walk. "That's right. Find meaning in this hollow world."

Meanwhile, Kezzet and his men moved on foot through the wilds of Hillsbrad. They already knew their next target, a farm to the east, far enough from most human settlements in the area that they would not be noticed until after the attack. "Come on crew. We gotta be ready for the sun set." He pointed up to the sky with a long finger, the sun already halfway down, leaving only a few hours of light. "We gotta make sure we ready dis time, else more of us ain't gonna be coming back."

The other trolls nodded, increasing their pace along with Kezzet. Then, from the back of the pack, the troll wearing a white mask called out, "Ey, where that loa get off to?"

Kezzet glanced backwards, "Don't know. He went to meet up with that other loa we saw. Probably too far away to be any help now." Kezzet turned his eyes back to the front. "Shame too, woulda helped. No matta now though, we gonna get our revenge then put dis place to our backs."

Sozun's eyes finally came upon a change in the landscape. Pillars, up ahead. He turned his attention away from the rest, running hard toward them. The closer he got the more he saw, many of the pillars in ruin, bleak gray stone fragments laying on the ground. Others stood up tall, but cracks littered their surface, brought about by age. Then, beneath his feet, he felt the stone path he walked on, leading him to the pillars. When Sozun looked down he saw it there too, the cracks and age. Even sections entirely removed, or pieces scattered about only feet away.

Then he arrived. And before him was a ring of pillars, the path moving through two that still stood whole. He stepped forward, first between the pillars, then past them, walking towards the center. And there, in the very middle of it all, stood a mirror, dull and dirty, covered in dust. But not a crack could be found on its glassy surface, not a single flaw in its cut. Each edge was perfectly smooth, Sozun running a finger down its right side. But when he peered within he saw nothing. No reflection, not of the area around him, or even his own body as he stared within.

"Ey guys, ya seein' what I'm seein' up ahead?"

Kezzet frowned and nodded. The outlines of others, and the gleam of metal in the last rays of sunlight. He reached over his back, grabbing his spear and slowing to a stop. The others did the same, stopping just behind him and unsheathing weapons. "Looks like we gonna have to do some fightin' by surprise. Someone's been expectin' us."

On the other side, one of the humans called out, "Galma. We got company coming, just like the scout said."

Galma raised from his seat among some of the other men by the fire, walking over and taking a look for himself. The men behind him quickly started to get their things together, putting on pieces of armor and grabbing swords. "Seems so. No sign of that shadow though?"

"No sir. Scout didn't report any and from the looks of it, there's eight beasts out there for us to slay before the job is done."

"Hrm, not the quarry we set out for but I wouldn't mind taking a few troll heads as trophies. Who knows, maybe if we keep one alive he'll know where to find bigger prey. But first, finish suiting up. And put out those fires. We'll be making enough noise as is. No need to alert more."

Sozun looked upon the mirror with confusion. He moved his down it, trying to wipe away some of the dust. Specks floated down to the earth, revealing the surface, but still the mirror held no reflection. For what felt like hour after hour he walked around the thing, touched and tapped it. Searched around it. But nothing would yield an answer, the world remaining empty and unmoving, leaving no clue to what he had to do. "I don't understand. This cannot possibly help me find my inner darkness... I don't even know what it is."

Angrily, Sozun slammed a foot on the ground, staring up into the glassy wall, "I'm so close, yet I still seem to know nothing. How frustrating. Right at the end, in the moment that should be my finest, and I prove to be little more than a fail." He started to fume with rage, his confusion vexing. Slowly, Sozun took a seat on the ground, facing the mirror, "No. I must know what to do. I just have to calm down. Now what was it that Kerak told me? What were his instructions...? Maybe there is a clue within them."

And it was as if the world itself was determined to help Sozun, the skies echoing with his answer, "You will have to search deep inside yourself for the answer to what your being yearns for. But first, you must open your eyes." Sozun stood up, startled by Kerak's voice suddenly booming all around him. His eyes instinctively searched but of course he saw nothing, no change, just emptiness.

The trolls and humans rushed at each other, Kezzet leading his band into battle against Galma. Soon they were locked in bloody battle. The trolls had advantage in size and power yes, but the humans had advantage in numbers and they knew this going in. They would gang up on the enemy, two or more humans dealing with a single troll, attacking him from all sides. Under the relentless blows they could not hold out. First one troll would drop to the ground, then two, then three.

Soon only four of the trolls remained and though they had cost their enemies two dead men and five others, too injured to fight, the odds were slim. Thirteen against four would be impossible to turn around and Galma noticed it right away. He stepped away, allowing his men to take his spot before calling out, "Listen trolls. You aren't our real targets. No, we seek another. A shadow. If you don't know of this creature than prepare to die. If one of you do though, we will spare the lot of you and hear your information."

To this Kezzet spat on the floor toward Galma, "Joo hoomies been killin' me crew left and right. Can't go without revenge, even if it cost me on life in the process. I ain't givin' joo nothin'. Neither is me men." The other three men cheered after their leader's words, nodding and turning their heads to glare at the human enemies.

Galma looked at Kezzet slightly disgusted before grabbing his sword by its golden hilt, "Very well then. You have chosen destruction. Men, kill off three more of them. Then we'll see how willing the last troll standing is. I'm sure he'll want to cooperate after all of his friends are dead."

Kezzet growled, waving a hand. In response the other trolls jumped closer to him, now each with their backs together. The humans rushed them again, the onslaught starting anew. But this time the trolls fought together, each for his own life and the life of his companions. Blows rained down on them, giving no other option but defense. Parry after parry, knocking away the blades as they came, pushing humans back as they approached. But it was too much, and slowly each man realized it. The trolls were becoming tired. Cuts were starting to appear on their bodies. Soon it would be full wounds. "Don't be givin' up now crew! We gonna survive this one way or anotha."

Sozun tried shouting out again and again, asking questions to the sky. Time and time again he would get no answer at all, the world shunning him with absolute silence. "Come on... I can't fail now. I've gone too far." And then, her cruel laughter surrounded him. Sozun's head turned jerkily, spotting her figure. Leather armor, daggers by her side, mocking laugh on her long rotten lips. Rebecca stood behind him, shaking her head, eyes in a glare.

"You try again and again but to no avail."

Sozun growled, standing up and returning the glare. "You, how'd you get here?"

Rebecca walked toward Sozun with a deliberately slow pace, her eyes not losing their focus. Words poured from her mouth again, "Remember your place priest. You won't get far."

Sozun's hand stretched out ready to attack before stopping, eyes narrowing. He opened his mouth to speak but Rebecca was already at him, daggers slashing him thrice, making him stumble backwards, "Come now priest. If you want to defeat me you'll have to give it more than that. Make me tire, make my weapons fall, make me fear and respect your power." Then came that irritating laugh to finish her sentence, mocking him again.

But Sozun was no longer worried about her insults. It was her words that bothered him. "You've not picked up many new lines since I saw you last Rebecca. What, can't think of anything new to say?" When all Sozun received was her usual angry stare it was his turn to laugh, "I get it now. Somehow, this place is able to bring up things that I've heard. Almost as an impulse to my own emotions and the questions I ask. I don't know why, but its true isn't it?"

He once again got no answer from Rebecca and nodded, "Of course you can't answer. You're not the real Rebecca." Sozun turned his attention away from the fuming forsaken woman, back to the mirror, "Now the only real question is to find out how that helps me find my inner shadow."

Laughter came from all around. Sozun turned, searching but finding nothing. Then, next to Rebecca another form appeared. A knight in red, the Scarlet emblem on his chest with a bloody hand imprint over it. It was Geoffrey Lancer, smile adorning his face. "I... know you. You were the Scarlet, the one from before."

"That I am. And you are the weakling who lost to the Scarlets, pushed back." Again, he started to laugh, voice echoing all around.

Sozun bit his lip, glaring the man down, "Shut up. I'll strike you down where you stand."

Geoffrey raised a brow, "Will you know? I don't remember you doing it the first time. And then what happened, did you forget?" He took a few steps closer to Sozun, patting the mark on his tabard, "The Scarlet attack. The destruction of your forsaken allies. And then what happened Croz, what? You ran. Ran away from your failure. But face it, in the end thats what you are. A failure."

Sozun took an involuntary step back, the words cutting deep into him. His eyes turned away, looking into the mirror once again, this time to see himself. But it was not the shadowy ascendant form he had grown accustom to. Instead, the forsaken he once was, tired and weak. Old memories once again filled his head.

"You haven't forgotten have you? Well let me remind you of more. You traveled to Undercity because you were weak and searching for someone stronger to train you. Or did you forget the voice that haunted your head as you rode?

Words once again echoed through the air, this time the voice of the Sin'dorei Vainar, "Shadow Ascendants? They don't exist. You, the Cult, and all that crap the Forsaken preach about. Its all nonsense, not the true path to ascendancy."

Sozun's eyes widened and he shook his head, "Shut up... shut up... I... I do not doubt." But he felt it. And now Sozun's eyes were glued to the mirror, focused only on that image of the forsaken he once was, struggling to be greater with no sure chance of success.

"I am weak," Sozun said to himself. "I am too weak.."

"That's right, give in. Forget this silly path you've chosen. Give up, give in. Doubt." Sozun fell to his knees and Geoffrey's grin widened. "There is nothing left here for you. Leave with the knowledge that your hopes have and forever will be hollow.

"Ascension Sozun..."

Sozun slowly looked up as a new voice rang all around him. Geoffrey and Rebecca turned upwards as well, the looks on their faces showing only their dismay.

"If we cannot preserve ourselves through reproduction we will do so through our shear willpower. Just as we broke away with willpower. Ours is a people who look to themselves to change their universe and you know it... Empower yourself and you will be a god.. We must all do so to preserve and persevere."

Sozun's voice shook as he spoke, shocked, muttering softly, "Larz...? Is that you?"

And then Sozun felt a presence behind him, and a hand resting on his shoulder. When he looked up he saw the old apothecary's face smirking down at him, "Hello old friend. Why do you dirty yourself on the ground? Why not stand up proud. Surely you don't wish to look like a disgrace. You are too proud for that." Sozun nodded, rising to match Larz's height. "Good. Do not forget yourself my priest. Do not let them see you doubt. How can a believer have trust in he who doubts his own teachings? And I know that you do not doubt them."

Larz motioned to the air and a voice rang out again, "Where we have god-like will. On this day let death and undeath mix as we pursue greater heights, and strive for the greater good of our people."

Sozun felt the force of his own words push through him and Larz's encouragement fill his being. He turned and nodded to his old friend, "Thank you for standing beside me, as you always have." He then turned to face Rebecca and Geoffrey, shaking his head, "Doubt. That's what you are. But be warned, I doubt no longer."

And now Sozun's voice started to echo. And the ground started to shake. And the image in the mirror started to change. And from out of his lips came the words of his Church, dogma recited perfectly. "Respect. Tenacity. Power. Death. These are the virtues that fuel my faith and my faith fuels my ascension. Confidence. You will never make me forget it again. Never will I shy away from my destiny nor my people. And never will a shrink away from those who challenge the certainty of my beliefs. Now go. Leave this place and never again return."

And the force of his words sent the two away, forcing them to disappear before a word could escape their lips. And the ground finally settled. And now the mirror's image was finished. It was complete. It was perfect.

Sozun's eyes opened to the darkness of the cave. He saw Kerak's form with ease within the shadows, as if now nothing was hidden from his eyes.

"Good work Sozun. I am proud."

Sozun looked at Kerak questioningly. When he spoke his voice echoed as if both thoughts and words molded together, "What are you talk-..." Then Sozun paused, realization dawning on him, "It was not a dream? But then, where was I? What..."

Kerak held up a shadowy hand, "There is much to explain. But first rise. We have much to do."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In The Shadow Of Elune Duraza 4 2,708 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Duraza
  The Light Casts a Shadow ImagenAshyun 17 3,697 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Last Post: ImagenAshyun
  Lessons in Shadow CappnRob 0 808 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Danger Lurks in the Shadow Piken 3 1,305 10-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Piken
  Slipping into the half-shadow Kirabo 0 673 05-04-2013, 01:06 AM