The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Birth and the surrounding
So, earlier today, when I was annoying my guildies, I came up with a few random questions concerning birth.
1) How long are children in the womb? (Mainly talking Draenei, Night Elves, and Blood Elves.)
2) Would physical adaptations (I.E. Shadow Ascendant, Felsworn, Demon Hunter, Primal) in any way alter the process? (I.E. longer stay in the womb, markings on child, complete inability to have/partake in creating children?)
3) Would any type of magic (Arcane, Shadow, Fel or Nature) have any mark on the child, if constantly practiced by mother/father?

In advance, I apologize if this is making anyone uncomfortable. These questions were just nagging at me.
Shadow Ascendants would be incapable of having children, since they're pure shadow.

Uh, gestation is based on size of creature, so elves would have around the same as humans, Draenei and Tauren possibly longer...

Felsworn babies, if the genitals weren't burned away by like, fel-fire or scaled over, then I'd assume it would be like having kids with a demon; probably really rare and if happening at all, make a half or 1/4 demon baby. Primal kids might be...the same? Maybe stronger with a longer gestation period (if the primal is the female). Demon hunter children would probably be tainted, same if the mother practiced fel magic a lot. I don't think shadow or nature magic would affect the kid, though arcane might give the child a natural tolerance for arcane, or an affinity for it? I'm not quite sure since all that was really based on assumptions.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Either way, the chidlren would likely end up being shot by a Commisar on birth. Suffer not the mutant!

Ahem.

40k references aside, i have a feeling arcane would be rather mild. Magic users are commen enough in WOW that any real damage or effect would be well known, and it isn't mentioned. As for the other?...Not sure. Demon kiddies!
Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence.
Aphetoros Wrote:Shadow Ascendants would be incapable of having children, since they're pure shadow.

Uh, gestation is based on size of creature, so elves would have around the same as humans, Draenei and Tauren possibly longer...

Felsworn babies, if the genitals weren't burned away by like, fel-fire or scaled over, then I'd assume it would be like having kids with a demon; probably really rare and if happening at all, make a half or 1/4 demon baby. Primal kids might be...the same? Maybe stronger with a longer gestation period (if the primal is the female). Demon hunter children would probably be tainted, same if the mother practiced fel magic a lot. I don't think shadow or nature magic would affect the kid, though arcane might give the child a natural tolerance for arcane, or an affinity for it? I'm not quite sure since all that was really based on assumptions.

Thank you, Aphetoros. However, I have more questions now.

1) The Felsworn part to me was self evident (for females, at least). Actually, it is for males, as well. Same for Shadow Ascendants.

However, if the Felsworn and Demon Hunter was possible, and did happen, would the babies womb-stay be shorter, and would they grow faster, or such?

2) So, on the Gestation thing, would Night Elves be about 1 year, Blood Elves 9 months, gnomes 3 months?

3) Is this approved by any GM? Do we just wing it, etc, or is there a guideline hidden somewhere on the wiki?
Due to the nature of fel I'd assume that any unborn child would either die or come out horribly mutated, and not in a "Hey, I am strong and spiny!" -way.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Bovel Wrote:Due to the nature of fel I'd assume that any unborn child would either die or come out horribly mutated, and not in a "Hey, I am strong and spiny!" -way.

Fel has pretty potent effects, the baby's body would most likely not be able to survive that kind of power. Therefore, die, or severely weakened/mutated. Weakened as in, legs won't even grow, arms, brain problems. Any of those kind of effects.
I think I read somewhere that draenei are pregnant significantly longer than humans or elves, and that females usually only have one child in the course of their lifetime. Which makes sense when you consider their extremely long lifespans, and how regular nine-month pregnancies and several births by each female could otherwise lead to a staggering and swift overpopulation.

Based on what I know about the races, I'd say it might look something like this:

Humans: 9 months
Elves: 12 months (or more)
Dwarves: 7-8 months
Gnomes: 4-5 months (Being very energetic and smaller than other races, it makes sense that it takes them less time to reproduce)
Draenei: 16-18 months
Worgen: 2-4 months (About the same time as dogs and wolves, though being half-human probably places it somewhere in-between)

Orcs: 9 months
Trolls: 7-8 months
Tauren: 9 months (Same as for a real world bovine)
Forsaken: Infertile
Goblin: 4-5 months (Same reason as for gnomes, though the slightly more unhealthy lifestyles of goblins might possibly cause premature births)
Blood Elves: 12 months (or more)

These estimates are based only on common sense, not on any actual lore examples.
Made me think bout the felsworn this. I personally think a felsworn male could procreate normally, but a felsworn female would share its fel-tainted blood (felblood :P) With the child, which would either outright kill it, which I imagine would be the more likely and common case (not that felsworn have children often), or create a child completely dependant on fel, and felsworn from birth. I imagine finding a way to break the dependency on fel would be the only way the felsworn could hope to become pregnant however, as it would be like ingesting a powerfull drug while pregnant, most likely killing the baby. But if it were simply a felsworn physically, I imagine it would just result in the baby sharing the mother's blood.
waffenbaum Wrote:Humans: 9 months
Gnomes: 4-5 months (Being very energetic and smaller than other races, it makes sense that it takes them less time to reproduce)
Worgen: 2-4 months (About the same time as dogs and wolves, though being half-human probably places it somewhere in-between)

Goblin: 4-5 months (Same reason as for gnomes, though the slightly more unhealthy lifestyles of goblins might possibly cause premature births)
Awesome!
Could you please notify me when you find a source for this?
There are just some of these that I ponder on. Why would dwarves have longer pregnancy periods when they live almost three times as long as a human? (Short and energetic again?)
And I assume that draenei can be pregnant longer, perhaps that their females can go impregnated for years without even know, the embryo and mother preparing for a quick period of growth.
Worgen are humans affected with a druidic curse, not sure if this will affect thier pregnancies in this manner. But if it did I'd say your estimation is correct.
Trolls are reknowned for their regenerative properties and I'd count that into procreation aswell. I think they can get away with even shorter pregnancies.
We come back to fel and arcane on blood elves; fel can taint anything around it by just being fel and being around so I would find it reasonable that even the rangers kids can come out affected unless they stayed out in the woods for the period of being with child. IF one take the changes made by magic, such as slowing down by frost magic or being more energetic by fire, then would perhaps the pregnancy length increase and/or decrease? (Not to speak of manually-magically tampering with ones pregnancy!!)
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.

Elves are inherently very magical beings. If anyone can handle the effects of fel energies during pregnancy I think it would be them.
Like I said, there's really no source for anything like this to be had. I just calculated the numbers based on the average lifespan of the creature, as well as it's height and the pregnancy time of any creature it might be closely related to physically. Dwarves I have heard rumors about though, in that they are said to only conceive once in a lifetime, but then they very often get twins. I also took their lifestyles and height into the equation. The smaller the mammal, the less time the pregnancy generally takes. But being that dwarves were first conceived from stone, who knows.
Honestly, I could see trolls having 1-2 month pregnancies, perhaps with twins or triplets being fairly normal. Would just seem to fit with them in my mind. Breeding like rabbits :P
waffenbaum Wrote:Humans: 9 months

I don't see where your numbers come from. Being based on size, it would be more like this, I think. (some you got right though.)

Humans: 9 months
Elves: 9-10 months
Worgen: Same size as humans, therefore they should reproduce at the same rate. 9 months.

Orcs: 10 months
Trolls: 6-9 months (they vary greatly in size)
Tauren: 12 months
Blood Elves: 9-10 months.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Yes this post is a month old and this is somewhat necroposting, but it's not. I more or less have a new question based on a statement said above. Could one hasten a pregnancies with magic, and if so, what kind?
Possibly somewhat but not without great risk of death or worse.

Hmm, good, cause I have a story line based on that, and advanced growing. Although only one survived >.>