The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Since I can't keep my fat mouth shut.
It has come to my attention that a lot of people seem to be speaking their minds as of late, so I thought, "Hey, what the heck, I'll jump on the bandwagon and give a shot at making sense of all of this, too." This is all written super fast and I'm sure there are mistakes, but I just needed to get my thoughts out on this. I apologize if it seems harsh or abrasive, but these are my feelings on the matter, and I in no way expect everyone to agree or conform with them.

Let me start with a recollection of how things went for me when I was but a wee nublet of a player, just starting out on CotH. I had little to no knowledge of lore, thought Elves were pretty, and figured that I could sate my fancy for fluffy romance RP. I'm surprised that my introduction post even got through. Mind you, this was during the time when it was much harder to be approved for CotH, when the GM's were pickier and someone's introduction could be denied. So, Larshka's profile was approved by some act of God, I was leveled to 80. What did I do? Hung out in Ratchet, met a BElf and had the fluffiest, steamy romance novel cross-relationship since Thrall and Jaina. There were tons of consequences, though. I got little to no other RP with anyone, people snubbed their noses at me and my silly little mind's lack of lore, and it got to a point where things were stretched so thin, GMs stepped in ICly and basically put an end to a very poor guild that the BElfy and Larshy were captains of.

Do I hold a grudge over it? Heck no. In fact, I'm glad that the intervening happened.

Because after that whole mess, and a hiatus from CotH, something amazing happened. I came back and joined the GSF. We were the most racist group of little heathens to walk Azeroth. I think I went to neutral towns once, maybe twice on Babbakin, and each time she despised it. -Despised- it. She rarely went to Stormwind, for goodness sake. We hung out in Ironforge, Dun Morogh and, eventually, Gnomeregan. And it was some of the best RP I have ever had. The plot was solid, the lore was quite accurate, the people who I RP'd with were great fun, and the characters were intensely complex. For a while, it was the 'it' guild. Saving Gnomeregan was the in thing to do. We had no neutral RP whatsoever. Heck, we barely had Humans helping us out. So it's pretty clear that following the lore, making a unique but believable character and sticking to it can be done. I also gained an infatuation with a race that I'd never been able to take seriously or enjoy in the past.

It's sad, however. I came back after leaving, and I see that the reason that I left is still rearing its ugly head. The server has such a conglomeration of bland, uncreative characters that just sit around in an inn all day and do suggestive things or kill one another pointlessly. On a good day, the "Who" window is nothing but Stranglethorn Vale or Barrens for location and Blood Elves for the primarily played race.

I know, I know. Roll your eyes about me bringing up the BElves. Let me say right now that I honestly hold no grudges towards Blood Elves -- well-played ones. Ones that are spiteful and egotistical and racist. Ones that battle with their addictions and their bad rep. ICly, nobody likes them. Not even most of the Horde. They are the goth kid in the back of the class that mutters about taxidermy and Disturbed. The Forsaken merely tolerate them because they are powerful and useful to an extent, and because their Dark Lady was once a High Elf. In fact, I'd probably play a BElf if more people actually played them in a compelling way. If people actually hung out in Silvermoon on a regular basis, instead of magically poofing there for no reason, just because there's an event, then hell yeah! Bring on the angry little pointed ears of death! Let's smoke some bloodthistle hookahs and practice magic! Let's kill the Scourge along the Scar and set up scouting parties of Elven rangers to beat on the A'mani Trolls!

Digression aside, I know that I'm not the only one who feels like this. I know I'm not the only one who wishes for engaging, well thought-out RP storylines. Otherwise you lot wouldn't go to different zones when there are events being held, or jump at the chance of RP in different places when it's brought up, or volunteer gladly to join a new, different guild. I know that the reason a lot of people go to neutral zones is because people don't want to - or rather, can't - move RP anywhere else. I've been in the same situation on several of my characters. But you know what? I go there, stroll around the dock, get bored and log. It bothers me, because I used to be really fond of Stranglethorn Vale and Ratchet for the pretty zones that they are. I'm not begrudging people of their neutral RP, but there's a difference between neutral RP and RP that has no sound logic.

I'm not mad at the neutral RPers. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in specific or trying to grief or bash people. I know you want to stretch your imaginations like a picture of Popeye in silly putty. I know you do. I do the same every time I draw. But I am disappointed, because there are ways to do it that won't make you look silly. Take advantage of the lore that WoW is based upon, as flawed as some of it may be. Use it as a guideline. There are some very straightforward things that could be built into some amazing storylines. The Sin'sholai, when it was done, was a great example. Reclaiming Gnomeregan with the GSF, the Trolls taking back the Echo Isles, the events going on in Duskwood - they're all great plots. It CAN be done, guys, you just have to put effort into it. I'm not saying cut out the tea-party RP completely, I'm saying that it's like candy. Too much and a lot of you will eventually get sick of it. Spice some things up! If you're interested in a specific race, go to WoWwiki and actually take the time to read about their histories and cultures! Plan long-term RP events, branch out and make new friends who you can RP with! There just needs to be some oomph put into playing your characters as they are, instead of playing them as YOU are. And if someone genuinely seems to want to learn the lore and better themselves as a player, help them. Teach them. Don't sit around and mock them for their silliness. I know how it feels.

I wish I could be as articulate as Tim Minchin, but that's as well as I can sort my thoughts out on all of this. I guess I can leave off on one of his quotes.

"…and if, perchance, I have offended. Let me say but this and all is mended: we'd as well be ten minutes back in time for all the chance you'll change your mind."
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
What I get from this is that you're upset a certain type of RP isn't available? It's a rant post and a bit disheveled to me after reading over it a few times, so forgive me for reading into it wrong.

Why not coordinate a storyline event on your own?
There's actually a good bit of little ideas floating around and even a nice number of events & storylines that come from them, especially on the weekends. Some are cross faction, some are monoracial. I, personally, haven't had the time to log in and participate in these, but they give a nice change of pace from BB.

Nothing wrong with BB RP; it's tiresome, yes, but it also serves as a hub where personalties can clash.
Would you like to see more lore-abiding and monoracial RP? Just ask if anyone wants to RP in [Faction Capital]. Sometimes, the fish don't bite; sometimes you get a good catch.

It's okay to tell everyone to be proactive, but these things have to start with you, too! Granted, I can't say you haven't been trying since I haven't been IG for a while. But, if there's a certain RP you desire, you should foster it.
˜★Sketch Blog
I'm not saying that I'm not upset that a certain type of RP isn't available, and as I said, I have no problem with neutral RPers. I'm merely stating that there are other forms of RP out there, and am mostly saying this to perhaps motivate other players to join into the fray, considering the rant posts that I've been seeing lately.

As for events, I have several that I'd like to run and/or participate in. I'd just rather not take someone else's idea and be a copycat.
Well, the first rant post I totally agree with. It's a shame there are so much unracist-characters with absolute knowledge about everything, especially when playing ignorant racists can be soo rewarding. The downside is, everyone is going to hate you. For instance, the Blood Knights are arguably the most hated guild in Silvermoon. They're accused of being: arrogant, racist, and uhm...overly proud of their status? Kinda boggles me.

As for epic events: I think they got killed when Kretol said we wouldn't have any lore changing events anymore. While it does not make epic events impossible, it simply discourages people. And I'm not accusing him of screwing our rp.
Right.
So, I see you complaining about how people are RPing.
I see someone basically gave you an idea.
And what did you do with it? Nada.
You're just as bad as the people you complain about.

As a side note of the racist BElfs, I believe there is a thing called subtlety. You don't have to be a rogue to get it.
I've seen plenty BElfs with racism in their persona.
They're just not exactly "lol u inferior" all the time.
Especially when out numbered.
Arrillion Wrote:As for epic events: I think they got killed when Kretol said we wouldn't have any lore changing events anymore. While it does not make epic events impossible, it simply discourages people. And I'm not accusing him of screwing our rp.

Not true!

It's very possible to have events that don't clash with lore or somesuch. I once held a few events running a battle through Stonetalon, with Orcs and Elves pushing against one another.

Granted, due to a lack of enthusiasm and inactivity that ended up scrapped a few events in.

Personally as of late I've unfortunately only had ideas pertaining to a small group of people, event-wise. That is problematic, of course, since that just forms small RP circles, when really I should be hosting stuff that would be more readily available to anyone.

Then again, I'm a more of a builder, so what do I know.

Wow. Tangent.
Binkleheimer Wrote:Right.

As a side note of the racist BElfs, I believe there is a thing called subtlety. You don't have to be a rogue to get it.

First: This 'idea' is mine for a long long time, and now I see a post of someone with a similar idea. So I say hey! I actually agree with you, instead of saying, bah! you ideas are shit, or you're just as bad as you complain about. What do I do with my idea? What -can- I do with it? It's not like I'm the one who makes the rules, nor wil people change their mind, so I stick to simply stating my opinion without calling other people idiots or bad rpers. Supporting other people's opinion is a good thing.
As for the Blood Knight situation, other Blood Elves see them as arrogant and racist. Now that could be due to two reasons. The Blood Knights are...exceptionally arrogant, or the others don't have these characteristics that pretty much define the Blood Elf race. So that makes me wonder.

And about the events: I didn't say the: No Lore changing events stuff makes epic events impossible. But from my personal experience we've had much less of them since that day, which might be due to other causes.
I wasn't referring to you, Arrillion.
My post was directed to Kiffles.
Same counts for her I suppose.
Today, there was a heap of people in the Barrens near an Oasis. The reason was because it slowly populated after people realized something may be happening there. It is not uncommon to hear in chat/barrens "What's going on in X?" when there appears to be a lot of people in a single location. And it works to draw RP everywhere, because at any given point the race balance can tip any number of ways. Heck, I've gotten a few good Dwarf RP days when I found a couple people in Ironforge, and by adding to the numbers more dwarves (some old, some new) popped up. The allure of neutral zones is simply the high populous of players there, but this can truly be any place given 3 or 4 players get together and start an RP somewhere. Believe me, I used to complain about the RP centralizing in BB, and sometimes about the RP that happens. But sometimes you have to remember that people just wanna be around other people, otherwise they'd play a non-MMO RPG. And the best way to teach how to RP is to show how it can be done, and how it can be -fun-. Because no matter how lore-correct an RP is, we can all admit that we'd rather have fun than be correct. So for anyone who wants correct, make it fun and I guarantee people will follow. I forget this sometimes myself, and I'm working on it :)
You know, I'd hate to give my position away (you can all laugh now), but I'm completely in agreement with Kiffles. And please, Binkleheimer, try to tone down the hate a bit, would you? The post was not made to incite a flame war. I shan't have it.
Binkleheimer Wrote:Right.

First of all, that wording is particularly rude of you.

Secondly, I'm not saying that EVERYONE SHOULD STOP RPING IN BOOTY BAY/RATCHET/NEUTRAL AREAS AUGHGHGH. I'm saying that it wouldn't be an awful idea to branch out. I'm trying to encourage other people to perhaps start up events and other such things, and I do apologize, as stated in my post, if I come of as abrasive in that manner.

As for Blood Elves, I have a pair of BElves that I've done a lot of writing for, but am always apprehensive about playing them because of the terrible reputation the race has acquired over the years.
Ahem! I think I agree with Kiffles pretty much. . .fully on this one. and this is a rant post that I actually found typed in a not very rude manner! I'm impressed! although that doesn't matter.

I'd like to say, that I used to dwell in BB as all others have. Then I branched out and I'm admitting that it's probably the best decision I've ever done on this server. I have several characters in plotlines now. Well written and intriguing plotlines and it is fantastic.

If you BB Rpers wants to hang in BB all day, fine. If it makes you happy, by all means do so. But I strongly recommend to try and get involved in a large plotline ranging outside of BB. Trust me. It can get really good.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]

Please don't cause this topic to be locked. That's all I ask.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Kiffles Wrote:As for Blood Elves, I have a pair of BElves that I've done a lot of writing for, but am always apprehensive about playing them because of the terrible reputation the race has acquired over the years.

I'd be glad to play with you if you're looking for more chances to develop those two characters. I have what can only be considered a surfeit of elven characters (both kinds).

All righty, back on topic. Forgive my rudeness, but every time this topic comes up, I see something along the lines of people telling others to make their own RP in X location rather than allowing someone to suggest that they roleplay elsewhere. It's less productive to merely point out things, but Kiffles does have something here. BB roleplay is very proliferative. To the point where people have to bend their character's personalities and purpose just to find a reason they'd be where everyone else is roleplaying. A black hole would be an appropriate analogy.

Cliques can be a good thing sometimes. If you can find a smallish group of people who share your same interests, you can tailor stories and characters according to -everyone's- tastes, with everyone getting something they love. It builds friendships too. And you can always invite other interesting people in now and then, to let them see if they like it. It's a far cry from closed-door RP where nobody else is welcome.

Most of my time online on CotH is spent roleplaying with a very limited selection of people who -love- planning out storylines. We've been able to build up some really intricate and interesting stories together bit by bit. I haven't been bored on CotH in months.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Stale taste in my mouth. Temujai 14 2,473 08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Rakkezai