The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Writings of an Aphetoros
A Taste for Blood

Astus crumpled to the desk, breaths haggard. "Why am I breathing... I...?" He was undead. His body twisted to such a macabre visage of his former self, none who saw him living would now recognize him. He yearned for something. A taste lingered in his mouth, but he couldn't tell what it was. He wanted to cry out in rage, but only agony escaped his lips. "How do I... feel such pain!?" He shivered, lying there curled into a ball on the floor. He was in withdrawal.
But from what.

Astus looked at the orc with contempt, turning up his nose. "Bah. You are ignorant." He would close his brilliant white eyes and step from the table, leaving the stench of blood lingering. He grumbled to himself, those insolent orcs would pay someday. As all would. When the people of the world die, they would belong to him. He strode through the city, catching surprised glances and glares. Occasional gasps of fear. He smiled. They were right to fear. He stepped from the comfort of Booty Bay, walking along through the jungle, the chirping of birds and hollers of the silver-back gorillas occasionally cut the silence, and had everything been dead and silent, the place might have been remotely pleasant to be in. He heard footsteps behind him and frowned. He stopped and stretched backwards before relaxing once more; they were far enough from the town. "What." His tone was flat, the normal inflection of a question wasn't present. He turned, and the orcs drew their weapons. "You are foolish." The orcs roared something that Astus didn't really deem important enough to pay attention to, and a tomahawk went careening for his neck. With a heavy sigh he moved slightly to the left. The axe landed in his should and at first no blood poured, but it seemed that it was moving slow as molasses, ichor mixed within it. His eyes closed and his mouth moved, a whisper of a spell fleeting from his mouth. A shadow rose up near him, forming into his bone scythe. He gripped it tightly in one hand as the runes in it responded to his touch, flowing through it with the dark crimson of blood. "You... have sealed your fate, you...children. I welcome you... to agony. Come at me, and my children." He began to raise his hands as inaudible words would flow from his lips, runes beginning to draw themselves at his feet as virulent ebony light that occasionally crackled with violent violets burst from within his arms, swirling around them to glow radiantly at his clawed fingertips. Three ghouls rise from the mists, one's garments being tattered robes and a spellbook while the others wore armor with gleaming swords. He waved his hand, boiling blood rising to his hands from a small flickering rune that would suddenly spring to life with a gesture of his fingers. The reddish bulb of light in his hand would fly at one of the orcs, missing just as the three ghouls attacked him at once, sending him sprawling to the dirt, bloodied and broken.
Astus simply smiled.

He turned his head to the other as he spun, swinging his katana and cleaving two of the ghouls in half. Astus would raise his hands and the ghouls would both explode, sending him stumbling. Astus's other ghoul swiped at his head and sent him staggering back the other way. Tojiro, the orc's name, sliced at the ghoul with his weapon, and cleaved him straight in half. Astus drained the remaining vestiges of life inside of it, and laughed at the distracted orc. Why he laughed, he had no idea. He wasn't amused, really. He held out his hand, barking out a command in a dark tongue, runes in red appearing on his opened palm. He dragged the claws through the air and the orc's flesh tore at the wounding spell. Now in a bloodrage, the orc came at Astus, swinging his blade. Astus didn't even move. He simply closed his eyes and spoke a single syllable, black mist covering him head to foot for mere moments before it seemed to blow away, revealing a full set of plate-like armor, made of bone interlocking shadow. The blade glanced from the armor and the orc came back again with a swing. Astus stopped the blade with his gauntlet, though it cracked slightly. "Never disrespect a god."

Astus looked at the orc, swinging his scythe and, sending it through the man's back and into his body. The man began to bleed rivers of crimson onto the ground. And Astus shivered. His eyes were drawn to the blood. He looked away, but found it near impossible to pull away his eyes. He let the scythe stay in the orc's flesh as he lifted a hand, death energy flooding his palm as he'd deliver a touch of death to the orc. Suddenly death energy burst from him, consuming his body in the gossamer green glow. His flesh seemed to have been hit with a tsunami of decay. Astus ripped his scythe from the body, looking at the orc as he fell to the ground. Astus watched the blood flow from the figure, unable to pull himself away as the overwhelming hunger overtook him. He tried to pull away, but he could not. The flesh was too tantalizing, and... Astus wanted to devour him whole. He opened his mouth, revealing jagged teeth as he'd take a bite into the shoulder to the left of the orc's neck, tearing out flesh and sinew as he'd swallow it ravenously, lapping at the blood uncontrollably. He groaned, forcing himself from the creature as he'd look down at the horrifying scene. It disturbed even him. He saw the other orc, lying there helpless. He felt the urges taking over, his body seeming to slide without his own will towards the other dying orc. He sucked greedily on the crimson life-sustaining liquid in the body until the hunger was gone. He felt no remorse for what he had done... but he was confused. The blood hung in his mouth, sticky and metallic. He grabbed his face with his hands, muttering softly. "What... am I?" He peered through his fingers at a Draenei and Sin'dorei who had rounded the corner. He snarled at them with crazed eyes and bloodstained teeth. "Go..."
"Leave!" The two yelped, grabbing each other and heading back to the city.

Astus stared at the orcs, whom he thought dead, for the longest time. He took in a breath as if to reassure his own humanity, despite his own beliefs of godhood. "I..."
He turned, walking briskly from the scene with his eyes trained on the ground.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
A Burning Blight

Astus sat at his desk, his eyes flickering with unholy mist behind a pair of protective goggles. Carefully in his left claw he held a glass vial with a festering fungi from felstone field. He could've touched it, but the equipment was a formality from his former life. He let the mushroom flow from the glass onto a petri dish, his face void of emotions beneath the mask. He took the dish, letting the fungus swish around in the plagued liquid. He nodded after a moment and poured it into a mortar, grabbing a nearby bone. He began to use it as a pestle, grinding the substance into a harsh paste. Astus looked down upon it with a narrowed eye as a burst of virulent green mist began to billow from the cup. He sighed once more, muttering spells of permanency over it, then turning and pouring it into a vat. He'd repeat the process until the entire emptied 'vat' had been filled with that disgusting paste.

Astus took a small corpse, dropping it into the paste. He waved his hands and began to chant over and over again, blood draining from various runed wounds. The green would turn to orange and Astus would let it ferment.

Astus walked back to the vat, now filled with disgusting fumes. He pulled a lever and gears and machinery whirred. Astus fixed glass sphere after glass sphere to a faucet as the fumes would compact into dust. Astus looked to the writhing webs as he slipped them into his pouch. Except for one. He waved a hand and a small spiderling began to slice through the webs, revealing a pale, anorexic man. Astus dropped the glass. It didn't break. He nodded, bending down to pick it up. He raised his hand and hurled it towards the man. A rune glimmered and death energy crackled through the air, stirring the plague inside and sending it spiraling in a cloud around the man and half of the room. The man began to cough, stumbling back into the corner as after a long few moments he'd begin to vomit as his eyes would turn bloodshot. He began to claw and pick at his skin and his mouth foamed before after a good hour he'd seize violently on the floor after inhaling so much tainted air at once. "Perhaps... a less of a dosage would also be affective." Astus returned to his desk and scribbled on a clipboard.
Some music.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFepQZCmBFU[/youtube]

No More Memories.
I took a step from the portal onto the cold ground below me. A gentle breeze flicked at my nose and pulled on my hair. I took a few steps, but my body failed me. Weak shell. But I had it, oh fel yes I did. My left hand was clenched and a small adamantium chain dangled from between two fingers. I held up the amulet to the dim lights of Tirisfal, admiring the dark, rust-red stains. I closed my eyes, hurling it into the air, the blood-stains would flicker magically for a moment, the broach hanging in the air loosely before slamming against the walls of the city. Not a scratch. As I walked to pick it up, his I caught the Orb of Translocation in my sight. Slowly I bent down, picking up the runed necklace. How long has it been since I've been to Silvermoon? Would they even let me back? Maybe since I'm Forsaken now I...no. There is nothing left for me there. I had been walking while thinking, and as I stood, bathed in the crimson glow, I felt something... strange. It was a twinge, inside my head? Or... stomach? There was a flash, and I was... reliving...

I remember back at home, the sun beat down during the summer, and the grass blew like waves on a gentle sea. I was alive, then. Maybe about twelve. I wore loose cloth pants and a red satin shirt, and at my side was a small ebony hawkstrider hatchling. I pat it on the head, holding out a small biscuit to it, which it nommed on greedily. Smiling, I ruffled the head-feathers. I ran inside the house, opening a cupboard to grab a loaf of bread and something like peanut-butter and jelly. My feet moved quickly and energetically towards the door, dropping the food in a basket and heading out, the hawkling running alongside me as we played a one-sided game of tag.

Man that striderling was fast. Eventually I was out of breath, but it was okay because I reached my destination, Dath'remar's shrine. I read the inscription with awe, marveling at the craftsmanship. After a long while I tore my eyes away and looked to the shoreline. I walked slowly down the path, catching my breath. I knelt down, pulling a blanket from the pick-nick basket and smoothing it along a small spread of assorted wildflowers.

He began to eat and occasionally feed the baby bird. And that's when I realized that wasn't me, anymore. Slowly I came back from my daydream, and my face was wet. I must've been standing there for hours. I turned my back on Silvermoon and walked away. I didn't want to remember that anymore, reminded of what I had done to myself. There's no going back. Only moving forwards. And so I walked down the twisted labyrinth of the Undercity. As darkness fell, I knew what I had to do. I sat in my chambers, the necklace hovering before me as death magic would slam into it constantly, alighting the room in unholy fires. I had to keep going... to get rid of these mortal emotions, my weakness.
I don't think I've written in this book for the better part of forty years.
The other day someone asked me why I do what I do, why I am 'evil.'
He tapped the pencil to the paper in thought. I am not evil, though I had to be when the demoness was my master. I had to do what she said, else I be killed. Again. Now that I am undead I have removed such... weakness, and I am one step closer to achieving my goal. The other day Marianna was captured in some... prison. Time will tell if she is there forever, and so I shall wait to make these next few decisions. Mr. Black should help me find what knowledge I seek, and once he does I will betray them, and then I can be alone, at last. I now have his people, and the Forsaken, at my disposal for this aid... though both will require my services, or aid at the least. But I am repaid in knowledge. Then I can ascend, build a fine crypt on the coast and retire with a good wife. Just kidding. Having a wife for eternity sounds like shit. He strokes a scarf gently before going back to his writing. Back to the question. I... don't know why I have followed this path. Was it for power? To rule all? No, I don't think so. I don't want to lead anything. Though blind fervor and worship would be a bonus, this... isn't what I wish for. My thoughts look to those like Martin, or Alistus, Haim or Redis. They are... simple minded. They lust after power and death, all I wish is to live. Ironic, isn't it, that I have been slain three times. But I...
No. I'm a god now, aren't I? Or is this merely an delusion again? I must believe this... if I want it to be true. I have to. Last chance.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Writings of an Anchorite Bovel 24 9,757 03-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  Balgarn's Writings Grakor456 2 865 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Grakor456