The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Why are CotH's GMs such jerks?
Why Are CotH's GMs Such Jerks?

When a player has a question to ask, nine times out of ten they go directly to a GM with a PM or a whisper in order to get an answer. 99% of questions that GMs answer are things that can be easily found in the wiki or forum stickies with only minimal effort. This makes most GMs cranky.

Often, a GM will be forced to speak to a player and request that he follow our server rules. Many times, the player being spoken to will take this personally, and/or reply with sarcasm instead of simply obeying the GM's request. This makes most GMs annoyed.

GMs are tasked with doing mundane tasks such as reading profiles, looking at introductions, and reading questionnaires. While not difficult work, it is often monotonous and uninteresting. This makes most GMs tired.

The power and prestige associated with the GM title is often overestimated. GMs will come into the team with lofty ideas for storylines and fun things that they can do, only to realize that the job mostly entails grunt work and the reality of their situation is much more limiting. This makes most GMs depressed.

Despite being unpaid volunteers instead of trained professionals, GMs are put under a microscope by the playerbase. Their actions are often blown out of proportion or demonized, and the GMs are often ridiculed for things that are not entirely their faults. This makes most GMs angry.

So, in conclusion, GMs will often get cranky, annoyed, tired, depressed, and angry on a fairly regular basis, often many of these things at the same time. You may be surprised when they get snippy in response to what you think is a reasonable question, or get forceful when you delay in fulfilling one of their requests. I am more surprised that they don't respond to you by erasing your character in a fit of deific vengeance.

Other Points of Interest

The Administration has deemed that there is no such thing as a stupid question. On the other hand, do not be surprised if you are told to search for the answer yourself in a particular area.

If a GM or Admin says to stop or not say another word, they mean that. Exactly. Literally. This does not translate to "You're allowed to say a sarcastic quip." This does not translate to "Nothing more after you say one more word." This also does not translate to "Defend your position." It means you stop and say nothing further. Unless you want the aforementioned deific vengeance.

Also, arguing against a GM is not a good idea. If they ask you to do something, and you feel it's unreasonable, either do it anyway and take screenshots, or just take screenshots and quit. Arguing or being stubborn will just result in bad consequences and do nothing to help you. Send them to me and voice your complaint. If you have a problem with me, send them to Kretol. If you have a problem with Kretol...well, you're screwed, I'd suggest another server.

Much of this has been said before. Due to recent...problems, I feel it needs to be said again.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Quote:If you have a problem with Kretol...well, you're screwed, I'd suggest another server.

This made me smile.

Nonetheless. From my completely "unaware of what went on" standpoint, I can say I've seen this happen moreso than it should. I recall seeing old players saying the GMs are getting too lenient - and that's actually true.

I think that's what most people forget. It's a volunteer job that brings a share of headache the staff could avoid by simply not accepting - But they do out of desire to improve the server's overall experience
Or a propency to masochism, but hey, nobody's judging. and even then, the vast majority of the times they have to handle something, they try to be nice while doing it.

People have times where they explode, yes, but most of the times I see the GMs being nice to people - even the times I saw one actually getting annoyed, they were still -polite- while doing it. It's worthy adding that to the list, if anything. If someone's nice to you, or at least well-mannered, don't lash out just "'cause". It's childish and plain silly. Manners should be met with manners only, and I don't think I even need to link this here, but nonetheless.

Lastly, if you have a big issue with the GMs, I have a solution for you.
Write tons of profiles and call your friends to CotH, that way they'll have more work to do!
I'm an evil genius, ain't I?
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edeOEuXdMU[/youtube]
Uthaniel Wrote:I recall seeing old players saying the GMs are getting too lenient - and that's actually true.

Oh lawd, that's something that will never have a solid footing.

"Too limiting!"

"Too lenient!"

"Unimaginative!"

"Overambitious!"
And from the damp, blood-coated depths of the maw that is the cave of GM's, the sickly-sweet scents of death and decay give morose portent to the beings that lie inside - solely built by trepidation, speculation, and unabated fear. "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!" may be the oft-spoken words of a tattered wise man, on the verge of sanity-shattered foolery; to bear heed upon the ears of those whom may listen, or otherwise meet their doom.

Indeed; we malevolent, horned deities of twelve heads, nineteen horns, and vastly inhuman wails who call ourselves Gamemasters even oft demand a sacrificial lamb for our harvest, so very evil are we. In very truth, it is moreso than likely that even as you read this, we hateful and heinous people are, even now, sitting atop our monolithic pedestals, cackling madly and gloating down upon you, below, lamenting your insufficiencies as a human and a mere waste of life, even as we make a snack of the very tears and blood of children. Yes, most cruel and dire are we.

I'm kidding. We're human. Really.

To note; while the points outlined in the OP are not untrue, I, personally, am quite simply not one of those who takes things here so seriously as to let happenstance truly affect my emotions.

It's just not my style.
I hope that the fact that we have forum helpers now will help to take at least some of the stress of the minds of many of the GMs.

Our GMs do so many wonderful things for this server, but I feel that it's often overlooked because people are often busy criticizing. As I've said before, the blame isn't on any one group. So, next time you're about to accuse a GM of something, try thinking about what your actions have been like, and the actions of your peers.
People like to whine.
Simple as that really.
Seeing how many events these guys run, how many ideas they make come true and how many times they teleport to a player, after a quick "brb" on GMI... they deserve a big "Thank you, guys!". Accusing them is not an option, because they are the ones that keep the server running in the proper direction. Us, players, just provide the power needed for this movement forward.

No idea if this post made any sense, so just... thanks for the great work, guys! :)
Binkleheimer Wrote:People like to whine.
Simple as that really.

THAT.

Honestly, I'm not going to rise myself above the rest of CotHers by saying that -they- want to whine. I am a human too, and I like to whine at times as well. We, people, need to find an object of guilt, in this case the GMs, for the troubles that we encounter during the day of roleplaying.

Of course, seeing as the GMs are people too, well... That's a problem...

I'd rather everybody contributes their bit for the sake of this community than forcing all the guilt on the GM team and further, but hey! Who am I to order people around?
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
Quote:I hope that the fact that we have forum helpers now will help to take at least some of the stress of the minds of many of the GMs.

And, to answer that from my -personal- mind state! I don't mind answering questions! If you have any, feel free to shoot -me- a PM, and even if I don't know the answer directly, I'll find out. We forum helpers know stuff as well. (I said me, for I can not speak for every forum helper, however, I do not think they mind answering questions, but for the safety; Think of meeeee.)

Quote:If you have a problem with Kretol...well, you're screwed, I'd suggest another server.

Kretol? That nub?! /ragequit

I mean.. Kretol, like Grakor and every GM person are pretty much rational people. Though Kretol has yet to submit to my love for him, he's a pretty cool guy. (Like Grakor / rest of the GM / well.. Everybody.) They won't bite, maybe punt you of GMI but that's a secret way to show "I love you.". It is, really! But really, you'd get into less troubles if you openly talk to them about problems then bottle them up and raging them out towards folks. I remember I had a ~12 pointer list, and both Grak / Kret took the time to talk to me over Vent for.. ~2 hours? In the end, everything was solved. <3

I'm really not sure what else to add, so I'll leave it at this. Perhaps a abrupt ending, but I felt like showing my face in here and remind us all, that we are human. Every human has bad days, and not a single human on here gets paid for any service provided. Therefore, every human tries to do their best, without payment, despite stress, despite being tired, cranky, depressed, or anything. Remember that folks'. ^.^
Binkleheimer Wrote:People like to whine.
Simple as that really.

But they're all in control of their own actions. They don't have to complain to us how we're horrible people - they can at least have the decency to confide in someone and whine about us behind closed doors, or they can send in a screenshot to Kretol and Grakor and they will deal with it. The latter of course, being more useful. That too is very simple.

I think for all of the things Grakor has pointed out, I have but only one response.

Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROPEICInVPY[/youtube]

But, jokes aside people. Being a GM is not as fancy and wonderful as many people seem to believe. It's difficult work. But funnily enough, 95% of the time it's only difficult because the playerbase makes it so. When we enforce, we get backtalk, ragefests, or even people just turning on a trollface and being a joker (which is THE most vexing thing ever). When we try and make a statement, you have 15 people just crawling all over the chance to prove you wrong, or blow your point out of proportion and make it seem like you want to see dead puppies rain from the sky or something ridiculous. I'm not trying to say "GRRR THE PLAYERBASE SUCKS IT'S YOUR FAULT" but I'm just saying, sometimes there are paths the players can take which help us out, but instead they just become the thorns in our sides.

Like with namechanges. Why do people freak whenever we have to change their name? They act as if we told them to rip their own arm off.

It's strange how people think that being so persistant in your point of view and arguing is actually helpful. If anything, it's the exact opposite. Most of the time when you do it, then you've broken the respect rule and a number of policies. You now have a report filed in, and then it'll be counted amongst the other offenses when you receive your suspension/ban. If you think the GM is doing their job wrong, don't complain to us about how you want your Human to be a Druid and that we're the worst GMs ever - send a screenshot at Grakor's way. As much as I'd rather him not do a bunch of admin work shortly after his return, it's really something that just isn't done no matter how often we preach it. I'm positive I've done plenty of things wrong, but I've got nothing yet.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
It's always easy to criticise those in a perceived "position of authority". Be it in forum communities, Baseball teams or countries. The administration on the forums, the team leader in the baseball team and the government leading their country. Everyone knows who they are, everyone knows where to find them, and most importantly... You see them everywhere. As on this forum, the staff's usernames stand out from the rest with their bright green, purple or blue. Or red, in the case of Kretol and Grakor. These colours are all sharper than the blue/dark green/blue of the Peons and the Grunts. And in-game, there's a very simple command for players to use to see which GMs are currently online, and the only way for the regular GM to hide from that is to vanish off the face of Azeroth (becoming invisible or logging off altogether).

Now, this is pretty natural. Staff members stand out, and that's how it's going to be wherever you go. Nothing wrong with that. You're supposed to be able to find them easily when you need help with whatever. However, the longer you stare at the same spot on the wall, the more dirt you're going to see.

So, the more attention you give to the staff, the more flaws you're going to see. And, many more of the actions they take are going to seem faulty, clumsy, unfair, ridiculous, you name it.

This applies to the people close to the GMs, as well. When someone spends a lot of time around a member of the staff, they're going to have some time in their spotlight as well and soon, most of the community will know who they are as well and they'll fall victim to the same recognition process and, eventually, people will start seeing the flaws with these people as well just like they do with the staff. And this will also lead people to call 'favoritism' about just about everything involving the staff and the people of this 'separate' group. I won't say we're not guilty of favoritism at times, as it's almost unavoidable that it happens, but it certainly does not happen as often as people seem to think.

It's easy to call favoritism where it's not present. Simply because, if you really want to, you can find signs and reasons for everything. You can find connections between people that aren't really there, but they will be once you start seeing them. Does this make sense at all?

It's the same principle as self-fulfilling prophecies, in essence.

Basic psychology teaches that one man is heavily influenced by what other people expect and think of him. If you are expected by everyone to be a jerk, you will be perceived and treated as one and soon, experienced as one by everyone who's shared the rumours to make you out as one. If you are a more conform person, you will eventually start acting like one, as well. Those who are not conform and resist this process will instead be stressed and have to struggle against the masses to prove themselves as something else entirely and switch the role they have been given within the "group" that is the community, in this case.

This, really, goes both ways. Just as the community will treat its staff in a certain way depending on what kind of impression they have of them, the staff will do the same thing to the community depending on their experiences. You may not be a jerk, but everyones' expectations will undoubtably make you out to be one and no matter how you act until you can drastically prove people wrong, you will keep looking like one.

Prejudice is a lovely thing, no?

The fault is not to be pinned on one person or group separately. For the processes to change, it requires a collective effort. As long as people point fingers at others saying "They started it!", things will never get better on any end. This applies to everyone.
I'm one of those silly people who's just been getting it wrong from day one.
While I've never had any ill-intentions, things just seem to dramatically collapse around me.
For the patience of everyone who's either had, or opted to show me the right path, and continues to do so;

ThankyouforyourpatienceIamhappyyoudidn'tjustbanme.
So many colorful people posting in this thread.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
It's not at all in my interest to say this, and I do so with reluctance, but:

Spoiler:
I disagree with the apparent concusion of the first section of the OP.

The "Why Are CotH's GMs Such Jerks?" explains why their job is hard.
Their job is hard.
We appreciate it, honestly. I've always said so.
Anyone that cares should chip in to ease their work and cut the bull. Idiots are pissing off our awesome GMs and that sucks.

But the conclusion that they therefore have every right to be forceful, or snippy or that we should be thankful we don't get our toon erased, however ironical, is simply wrong.

You just don't take up a volunteer position and say "Fine, I'll do it, but I'm reserving the right to be in negative-way-X because I'm putting in work." Volunteer work just doesn't work that way, and I know what I'm talking about. You do it right or you don't do it.

To be all fair, rather more importantly, in two years, I've never heard of GMs being uncivilised to anyone approaching them rationally, civilised, patiently and not about something retarded.

Anyway, yea, stop giving my GMs reasons to be pissed. Mine.

Mine.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
DaveM Wrote:But the conclusion that they therefore have every right to be forceful, or snippy or that we should be thankful we don't get our toon erased, however ironical, is simply wrong.

You missed the point as to why the post was constructed the way it was.

This thread was designed not as a defense of rude behavior, but as a way to open people's eyes that GMs are people as well, with jobs that are highly stressful. We have a high turn-over rate for GMs for a reason...many can't handle the job for a long period of time. That's just how it is.

As for what is "simply wrong," that's a matter of opinion, and nothing is that simple. GMs have every right to get forceful if they make a request and you fail to meet it. While snippiness is not a right, it's a very human response to poor treatment, and I'm not going to expect someone to act at all times like they are a professional customer service representative when they don't have that training and aren't getting paid for it. That's unfair to them, regardless of your belief that they should "do it right or not do it at all."
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -