The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Asholme Feedback
So. It's finally happened. Five months in the making but this $!@#ing island is finally out.

I've tried to get as much feedback from players and administrators throughout the process as I could, but I only could do so much.

So, I ask: What do you think needs changing with Asholme?

I've designed it with the players in mind. Lawless sections. Neutral theme. Crime. Debauchery...

I want to hear your thoughts.

Also, who likes the idea of Asholme having a night and day effect, where during the day it is patrolled and law is enforced and during the night it becomes a lawless den without guards or order?
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
I'd say due to the time differences a night/day effect would only be viable is night and day were subjective to each individual. It's not however, so most people would end up losing out on the variety that goes along with such a thing. People might get bored of -only- getting the lawless aspect or -only- getting the guarded parts of the town. Rather it should be cut down into sections. There are always police patrolling, be it night or day, but coming from Los Angeles I can definitely say there are some areas police would rather not go at 3 AM. Gang territory, where there's literal anarchy in the streets. It should be somewhat similar in my mind, but with a mobster mentality. Make certain buildings guarded, as well as their immediate vicinity. The inn and everywhere within a fifty foot radius should be a 'controlled' zone, while the alley next to a barbershop is free reign (Using a barber shop purely as an example, of course).

That's my opinion at least, especially as someone who normally plays at nighttime. I'd hate to be stuck somewhere 24/7 where anyone can run up, stab my character in the back while he's smoking outside a tavern, and run off with his pocketbook. :P
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
That's actually a good point.

Perhaps it would be better to stagger the times to make them a tad more compact, allowing two night/day phases per day.

Another difficulty would be, of course, implementation. How would you let people know it was night or day?

Such difficulties...
(07-27-2011, 10:23 AM)Rosencrat Wrote: Another difficulty would be, of course, implementation. How would you let people know it was night or day?

Such difficulties...

Different server times.

But what I would do is like this;

Midnight - 6 AM; Anarchial time. Places such as well populated bars and guard houses are safe, but in streets, it's primarily survival of the fittest. Group travel advised.

6 AM - Noon; Anarchy is still predominant, but some Guards are up. However, they may not look while some bad guys take you out, so group travel is slightly advised.

Noon - 6 PM; This is the safest time of day. If somewhere is ever going to be safe, then it will be at this time.

6 PM; Midnight; Same as 6 AM - Noon. Some places are safe, and the player base is considerably more active. However, this may lead to good or bad.
A day-based system would work well I think. Have designated lawless days, explained in-character as times of stress. When the guards pull back towards the inns and taverns, banks and general stores in order to protect the necessities from crime. Have a time, every two or three days when the island ICly gets supplies. There's no way a bunch of evil criminals and necromancers are going to be tending to their blighted fields for food. Have a motley crew of pirates or other dastardly yea-sayers come into Asholme every few days. They'd bring food, water, items to sell in the stores, demonic reagents, but along with them they bring all of the craziness that goes along with maddened sailors. This would cause the retreat into the worthwhile areas for the guards, and at the same time let criminals run free as said guards watch them murder one another. Everyone's a winner!
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
I'm a bit leery on the day idea. While it is a good suggestion, I have a few complaints against it:

First, the idea that some days are safer then others is a bit far-fetched and wouldn't really make sense.

Secondly, it may create an atmosphere where certain people come to the island only on certain days, which isn't the point. People should RP during the lawful and unlawful aspect. If you are only coming during certain days you are robbing the island of its purpose.

Thirdly, it will play havoc with attempting to schedule events for guilds who are holding events on the island.

I liked the gradation approach Flying proposed, it it seems a bit too difficult to implement.
(07-27-2011, 09:52 AM)Beltharean Wrote: the alley next to a barbershop is free reign

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn47ovGknDM
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
I am not a fan of dividing the day up into sections of safety. Mainly because I can only get on the server during certain times of the day and if I do not have vacation, probably not much longer then a few hours. I am certain I ain't the only person in such a position.

If you'd want to implement a day/night cycle perhaps do it on a daily basis or hourly even.
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.”
― Frank Zappa
Perhaps the guards could be a little capricious - seemingly randomly turning a blind eye to certain infractions.
There would be accusations of bias, but by way of a workaround, it would not be difficult to write up a behind-the-scenes timetable so that the populace would not know 'safe' and 'dangerous' times. Breaking the rules at any given moment would always carry a risk, but you'd not know if the gamble paid off until after.
That seems unnecessarily complicated though. If it's meant to be a "lawless" port city, why not restrict the law to only the upscale areas? Like the main inn and courtly castle. Then the ports and slums could be hives of the scum and villainy you want to attract.
Here is another idea:

What if the guards will only step in if someone is about to kill another person/a person will damage the island and its inhabitants in some way?

That way you can mug people, bar fight and do all sorts of fun things...Without a chance of dieing.
Eh. Let death happen if it's going to, as long as it won't affect the business or such. Plus, if the two are right next to eachother in a barfight, and one whips out a knife, the guards won't be able to intersect quick enough to pull him off.
What Squirrel said, as long as the guy with a knife doesn't go around hacking at the counter later, let death happen if it's going to.
Spoiler:
[Image: 2wd92y0.gif]

I love Asholme by far, but I do have one complaint: its inconsistent loading.

Let's say I logged out while in Asholme. I log back in, I'm suddenly surrounded by level near 80ish mobs on my level 50 warlock. Bam, I'm wiped out in an instant. And then, somehow, there is no Spirit Healer in the graveyard across the sea. Getting my body back would be a hassle in which I would have to struggle to find a safe resurrection spot (usually on the dock). This happened twice when I first logged out in Asholme wherein I learned my lesson: Never log out in Asholme. However, the third time it happened was when I DC'd, and my body was faaaaaaaar from the dock. So to speak, getting my body out to safety was a far bigger hassle than it really should be.

Perhaps this is a coding problem that ought to be handled by Kretol. Maybe not. I don't necessarily blame you or those who created Asholme, but if this would be consistently recurring, then RP frequency for those lower levelled than 80 would drop. I'm not sure what to suggest here--either fix the loading problem itself, or take out the mobs that would occupy that island should the town not load at all. Or do something about that missing Spirit Healer.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
Well, they can't delete the mobs, so there's really nothing they can do, unless you want everything else that people use to be phased to the same place.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cappn Feedback 4: Feedback 4Ever CappnRob 1 4,611 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Zenethen