The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Can Warlocks turn?
Alright, ladies and gents, here's the thing:

In the WoW comics, Valeera Sanguinar was corrupted by a Warlock, and then she consumed the blood of a demon. STILL she was able to return to her normal self through the help of Broll.

Now, here's the actual question: Would a Warlock who hasn't consumed demon blood be able to turn with quite some help as well?

See, I'm planning this thing for a character, but I wanted to consult you all before I did it.

There's two major differences in the scenario, though;

1. Valeera was corrupted for a shorter amount of time.

2. She consumed demon blood.
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
Warlocks are perfectly capable of returning to becoming Mages if they wish, but, the track to doing so is a hard one due to the addicting nature of Fel magic.

So, yup.
Brilliant, thanks for the quick and clear response! :D

Eet seems I haz no warlock lore.
<- dumbass.
(09-02-2011, 08:06 AM)13kira13 Wrote: Eet seems I haz no warlock lore.
<- dumbass.

Don't worry Kira, we still love you and those who don't at least have the decency to pretend to! Tongue
No, no, that's not...

"It doesn't quite work like that" may be the most pretentious thing ever, and it may be rude to contradict staff, but adsfcghjkbkhu.

The purportedly added dose of addictive allure to such magic may be problematic, but that's not the difference between a mage and warlock. You don't drink in some demonic energies or blood and suddenly wield the diabolical spells of such a darkcaster.

A warlock is not a tainted arcanist or shaman, but an entirely different study of spellcasting altogether. In the same way, a death knight is not just a disillusioned paladin.

Though the warlock's way is the fast track to power, its gains coming more quickly and palpably, it still requires years in its own right.

EDIT

The knee-jerk reaction of my perspective of lore seeing a local authority note something to be so that it fiercely believes to not be soothed and settled by the above rant, I do feel I may have been exaggerating in my frustration, considering Archmage Kel'Thuzad's quick... descent... necromancy...

Actually... He wasn't making much in the way of meaningful progress, was he? Not until the Lich King tutored him, even if that went on for a short spell, insofar as I'm aware, of which I consider on par with Gul'dan/Ner'zhul receiving instruction in warlockery from Kil'jaeden himself.

...Which itself took quite a tick of time, didn't it.

In the case of my character, the Warlock in question was a mage before he began studying Demonology. The question was if he'd be able to break the Fel addiction with some help and a lot of will power, a bit like a drug addict, and return to his studies as a mage.
The key in the matter is that "You can pull yourself out of Warlockery". Call it rehabilitation or whatever you like.

If your character was a Mage before and studied Warlockery for a time, then it's possible through effort and sacrifice (and probably some inconvenience) to give up the darker arts in favour of what you did before.

No matter what kind of profession you had before.

... Unless you were a Paladin. Then that might be a bit more tricky. But that's not what the question is aimed at this time around.
(09-02-2011, 09:37 AM)LostStranger Wrote: The purportedly added dose of addictive allure to such magic may be problematic, but that's not the difference between a mage and warlock. You don't drink in some demonic energies or blood and suddenly wield the diabolical spells of such a darkcaster.

It's an easy mistake to make, particularly given how the games treat it. In Reign of Chaos, Grom drinks fel blood from the healing fountain and BAM, all of his shaman are instantly warlocks. It certainly doesn't help the notion that shaman and mages aren't just cups of potential labelled "Instant Warlock, just add Fel!"

From a more realistic perspective, it's been rather established that demon blood (and fel energies in general) can augment non-warlock magics, but that doesn't mean that a mage with demon blood is a warlock, nor that a warlock without demon blood is suddenly a mage. They're two very different magic disciplines, so a warlock class-changing to mage is roughly on par with, say, a shaman changing to a druid. Only harder to motivate, due to the addictive nature of fel and the arcane in general.

Though it should also be noted for our purposes that warlocks are not, as a rule, always evil. I don't necessarily see why a class change would be necessary for the story attempting to be told here.

Edit: Ninja'd by Rowgen and Loxy. Keep that in mind.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Well, I'm not doing the class-change before Cata. I plan to have him gradually turn, and if I'm a bit slow he'll probably still be ICly a Warlock after the server has been updated.

Edit: No problems there. It's just additional confirmation that it's indeed possible. :D

Further Edit: Please note that I used the fact that a character was able to turn back despite Fel blood to underline the possibility that a Warlock who hadn't could.

Do remember that Fel magic is arcane magic, just evil and a thousand times more addicting and hazardous to your health. Many warlocks are former arcanists (in the case of humans and elves) and shaman (in the case of orcs) who turned to more sinister means of power.

That said, the transition from arcanist/shaman to warlock is not instaneous and it does take time to learn to wield warlock powers.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Yeah, I know. I imagine I'll be taking some weeks before I'll consider him clean. And even then, I'll keep in TRP2 that taint can still be felt in him.
... You actually want to be a mage?!?! Nub! :3

(Warlocks rule)
I don't. Thalendan do. Crazy2

Anyway, I figured I'd go through some sort of storyline, but I felt that having him followed the path of the Diabolist was just against his character. He has no loyalty to the Legion whatsoever. Judging by his personality, I felt that redemption was more likely.

This would mean to practically leave around sixty years of devotion to Demonology behind. I think the abstinence would be pretty rough, considering, and I'll allow that to leave a mark on him.

On an unrelated note;
Yes, Warlocks DO rule. They're perhaps my favorite class.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  On Warlocks. Nexi 98 13,243 12-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Last Post: Knock