The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Crash Course
My first post in my blog's not going to be about me per se, either. I had an idea I've been toying with for a while and I was thinking of getting some input on it.

See, my idea was to have something once every two weeks (or once every month) like a "Crash Course" to CotH, essentially. I know many new members that come along to the server ask many of the same kinds of questions and it's not always so easy to come in fresh to a community like ours, so I figure I'd give newcomers a springboard.

Basically, a little event where questions can be asked, commands are ran through, we get to know eachother a little bit, and then run off and throw a spontaneous RP event with everyone involved.

Much like a Meet & Greet, except smaller. A way to introduce newcomers to the community with a pat on the shoulder and a friendly "Welcome, dude!".

Thoughts?

And, other things to consider (feel free to answer):
  • What's the first thing you'd look for as a member of a new community?
  • What would the first question likely be?
  • What kind of RP event could potentially be fun to run and participate in that could, if all goes well, involve more "veteran" players as well?
  • What's your biggest fear when joining a new community?
  • How long did it take for you to get a grip of the .addrpitem command?
  • What was your first visit to the OOC zone like? (Whether that was Shatterspear Village, Warsong Gulch or GM Island doesn't matter.)
  • How was your first interaction with a GM?
  • What's the most positive experience you've had since joining the community?
  • What was your first sincerely negative experience? How early did you gain this experience?
  • What would've made your first few days in the community easier?
  • How long did it take until you landed in your first roleplay session?
  • What was that first session like? And with who?
  • How did they receive you?
  • Which was the first "drama" you got involved with? How did that feel?

If anyone has any input to help me develop this idea, that'd be swell. What do you think would be good to include/keep in mind/do to make a thing like this work out?

... Is it even worth the effort, to begin with? Is it a worthwhile idea and/or project? And how often do you think it should be held ("Never" being a viable answer)?
I'd help you out with it.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I am being forced against my will to answer these (Q.Q Loxxy)

What's the first thing you'd look for as a member of a new community?
To not be srsfaise all the time.
What would the first question likely be?
If an elephant lives on the savanna, how long until it is hunted down by Teddy Roosevelt?
What kind of RP event could potentially be fun to run and participate in that could, if all goes well, involve more "veteran" players as well?
Kidnapped, nuff said.
What's your biggest fear when joining a new community?
I'll grossly overestimate them.
How long did it take for you to get a grip of the .addrpitem command?
Instantly.
What was your first visit to the OOC zone like? (Whether that was Shatterspear Village, Warsong Gulch or GM Island doesn't matter.)
It was quiet.
How was your first interaction with a GM?
Was actually when Cressyfaise gave me a 1 day suspension about a year ago....<3

(09-06-2011, 01:42 PM)Loxmardin Wrote: Much like a Meet & Greet,
^ Do want!

Basically what aroes said. As you have said above, you're like a family(I say you're because I consider myself the extremely distant cousin who might as well be from Taiwan and speak Swahili). Don't feel left out of the 'cliques' and then NERDRAGE off the server.

For them or for me? For them: Do you know Nyan Cat!? For me... Who are you again?

What kind of RP event could potentially be fun to run and participate in that could, if all goes well, involve more "veteran" players as well?
This is extremely biased but my Deadly Sensation event! /sagenod I also asked Bubbles if he can spawn Netherstorm Agents to be apart of my GRBS agents. <3 BubblesHug

Depends. For online communities like this, the GMs. They terrify me if I don't know them. Also, Lox, you, Nexi, and Hawk were the main people I was scurred faise of. No offense. Scared

Not long actually, it's pretty simple. At first I hadn't even known about how it worked, but it didn't take too long to get used to.

What was your first visit to the OOC zone like? (Whether that was Shatterspear Village, Warsong Gulch or GM Island doesn't matter.)
I visited Smurf Vi--- er, I mean, GM Island as my OOC zone. It was a bit hectic. It seemed everyone on the server was online to stare at me and go, "NEW THING! MUST EAT!"

It was Nexi-in-disguise along with Bubbles at the same time, two very wonderful people and players by the way. Bubbles organized ohmaigawdmustenvyawesomeness event and my Archer Lithdra became mutual with Nexi's... I don't 'member name. x.x That's about it.

What's the most positive experience you've had since joining the community?
The Draenei Pilgrimage. End of discussion. Bset event ever.

What was your first sincerely negative experience? How early did you
gain this experience?
I actually haven't had any real negative situations on here yet, the most is the denial of my gift of flight.

What would've made your first few days in the community easier?
Funny, I seem to not have a good answer for these negative-esque questions. Oh well, I guess what would've made it easier would be a big How-To Guide on how to start on here, or this thread here!

How long did it take until you landed in your first roleplay session?
Uhm, at least my 2nd or 3rd day on the server was when Rhyan had her first roleplay experience with Maxen.

What was that first session like? And with who?
It was funny, we were two decided childhood friends who met up in Stormwind and walked around a bit, went to an armourer, the Mage Tower, basically just walked and talked. Oh! It was also with Maxen!

How did they receive you?
Pretty good, we were both new to the server, so we chit chatted about it in Party while RPing.

Which was the first "drama" you got involved with? How did that feel?
I've never really been involved in very much drama here on CotH yet. I hope not to get there soon. The most drama I've even seen was with Bel.
Delta Wrote: I couldn't help but watch that with a smile. It's comparable to watching a kitten climb onto the sofa and mew excitably, as if it's just achieved something monumental.

[Image: Sasuke-gifs-uchiha-sasuke-22778910-500-220.gif]

Spoiler:
Lithdra -- Blood Elf -- 85
Aitana -- Forsaken -- 85
Kymu -- Draenei -- 85
Anrielle -- Night Elf -- 85
Kravus -- Blood Elf -- 60
Rinkata -- Troll -- 60
Nicci -- Goblin -- 60
I approve of this greatly. Good way to get new players involved more within the community!

(I'm putting a color theme here, too! Not only you people get them! /cackle)
Mostly just good company. I won't stay in a community if I don't enjoy the people in it, or if I won't, under any circumstance, be able to make some friends.

Mostly something concerning the community, and how its built. Regarding people's overall friendliness and whatnot.

Travel RPs. /nod
I love travel RP events, and I love traveling on foot in real life. When you have a decent, steady group of people that want to participate, it could be a lot of fun, plus very easily form -some- relationships between characters. (Friendships, rivalry, strengthen bonds of current friendships, or even shatter them. Etc, etc...) I'd imagine such an event is open for everyone, not only a certain group.

Being a person with a mild case of xenophobia, I usually have trouble with getting to know everyone properly. It takes me a long time before I can make some new friends and get more well-known in the community.

Call me paranoid, but before even filling out my introduction, I went over every bit of info/rules that there was on the forums and wiki, then did another recap of it all. I found a thread about the .addrpitem command, and along with all the other info threads, I went over it about ten times. Overall, it was pretty easy and took me ten minutes at best.

Oh my... My first trip to the OOC zone (GMI) was rather terrifying, to say the least. As I said earlier, xenophobia is a fear of strangers, and GMI was packed with them for me. I couldn't do anything but stand in the side quietly and feel like everyone's staring at me.

Err... Almost sure it was with Gunnar, or Grakor by his forum name. (I might be wrong, since my memory isn't all too well.) It was in one of his Dungeoneering events where me and a friend of mine joined. To say the very least, I had a ton of fun and Grakor was very nice overall.
What happens if a bowl of Tauren spills into Wednesday on a bed of six o'clock?
Needs moar input.

More questions:
  • What was your first sincerely negative experience? How early did you gain this experience?

I'll be adding in more questions as they come. People are still welcome to come with inputs and answers. It gives good food for thought for everyone; You, when you answer, and those who read what you've had to say.

(Feel free to answer all questions, as well. If you haven't. Not just the recent ones. You do as you wish, however, but I'd love to see more answers to all the questions.)
  • What's the first thing you'd look for as a member of a new community?

Drama free people. It may sounds harsh, and I'm not saying anyone wished for RL troubles, but don't start new stuff when you can't handle it. (It's why I removed my purpleness application, I admit it sucks, but it's better for all of us.)

If a whole forum seems dramatic, with people throwing disrespecting fits back and forth, it's a huge disinterest loss for me. Why bother to join something when people fight over the internet? Silly thing.

• What would the first question likely be?

Most likely something where the guides and articles are if they aren't clearly described, if they are I'd simply ask for a group I could join up with that could show me the ropes of the new place. Tends to be the easiest in most places.

• What kind of RP event could potentially be fun to run and participate in that could, if all goes well, involve more "veteran" players as well?

Travel, exploration, wars.. Pretty much anything if you can mix and match the right people. Hell, a grand dining event could be crap load of fun if people are laid back and relaxed.

• What's your biggest fear when joining a new community?

Posting an introduction, giving that first glance into my character to find like minded folks after. Always scared me to be honest, for in most communities your tagged as "lolnub".. This is actually the only place as I recall I've posted an introduction in. Never bothered with the rest.

• How long did it take for you to get a grip of the .addrpitem command?

Quite a while, seeing I did not get where and how I could look the item ID's up. Now with modelviewer, I just look up the name and it's all good. Don't think it's described anywhere how one can find the item ID's for new people, can't recall.

• What was your first visit to the OOC zone like? (Whether that was Shatterspear Village, Warsong Gulch or GM Island doesn't matter.)

Warsong Gulch, big thing. First impression was something along the lines of "What the heck is this?" and I spend some time exploring. Back then, that place was massive and confusing.

• How was your first interaction with a GM?

Saddening actually, it almost made me insta-leave the server but it all worked out in the end after a talk with Kretol. Nothing that stayed with me for a huge time, but when it happened I was quite upset.

Too many.. Just too many. I've met great people, I've had great events and RPs over a great span of time. Romance, hatreds, wars.. One greater then the last, so I can't truly answer this.

My first sincerely negative experience would be the one way back with the GM. Some RP went bad, GM stepped in and curses got thrown around from both sides. I was quite shocked to see it from a GM, and was quite early in my RPing. Think.. Few months in? Can't truly recall any more nor does it matter to me much now.

Some helper buddy. Someone that whispers you, shows you the ropes and get you involved into RP. Maybe that's something for new players and Vet's? Vet's volunteer to become an helper, when a new person signs up the Vet's get assigned to him/her, seek him/her out and shows them around.

.. Me and my random ideas. Maybe I should post that in a new thread.

A week or so? Not longer at least. Think I found some in Goldshire after leveling up to six and running there.

Can't recall sadly.

Quite open, else I hadn't stayed for long that's for sure.

First Drama huh? I'll pass on that because I can't recall clearly any more, and it's no use opening up old wounds.
Shameless bump. I would appreciate more input, since the answers to all these question help me more than you could imagine.

Sidenote: What day of the week and time of the day would be ideal for this kind of thing?I know that most of the population on the server is American, which is an entirely different region and timezone to mine. If anyone has any good idea for when would be good to hold a small event like this, I'd appreciate the suggestions.
Wish this had been running when I joined -.-

The answer to all those questions is 42. End of discussion. :P
Humility. If you've ever had a new boss who just joined the company who thinks they know best... you know what I'm talking about. Someone still capable of learning.
Probably a short history and/or inspiration, ironically it's the first thing on the Portal page. It helped me back in the day.
I am a fan of problem solving and combat RP. Have a treasure hunt with some monsters for steamrolling and/or teamwork.
Getting banned before I learn the rules! Same way with a new job, really.
.addrpitem took just a day, I thought it was cool. Over a couple of weeks I learned all the shortcuts and stuff though.
I remember it being organized and a hub to gather people who wanted to RP. Much like the hubs in Guild Wars from which I hailed from. I remember the first trip up the box stairs, and wow a innkeeper! I'm going to get all my characters up there! It was fun during RP breaks. I miss Shatterspear!
GMs don't RP, at least when I first started I thought. I remember a Guard being pupetted, and that it was awesome for immersion. Something I still look forward and enjoy today.
Stonetalon Event! It came off professional, organized, sprinkled with plot twists. Plus I was able to attend most nights, so there was some consistency on my end.
What was your first sincerely negative experience? How early did you gain this experience?
I don't remember.
A tour of sorts I suppose. Occasionally new people pop in and love a tour of the OOC area. Of course they came to RP, but sometimes they just want to level so it helps if they know where the good items are. OH- I was a nub 80 for a long time. I never got above 57 or so on Live, it was completely new to me. Back then (still WotLK) t6 was the best, where's the boots and I am so broke! Everyone's solution for several months were this odd word: Dalies. Um, no I don't need any flowers? I wanted to save up and buy the best once, not spend and spend for each tiny upgrade I discovered on my own.
That's what I came for, and it didn't take very long once I was able to settle on a character. Maybe a day or two after the forum stuff was handled.
The one I remember the most was back in my first months: Nexi's Tauren Hania and my Troll Dazehl, chillin' by a Barrens lake. I recall it was so peaceful and relaxing whenever we RPed, which was what I was looking for.
This was back when you needed vouches, and I remember Grunts being excited to RP with me and were happy when I was approved for Gruntship.
I had a forsaken DK profile I was working on. It was back when they were special profiles. I just remember rehashing it over and over until I gave up completely. It was disheartening at the time.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.

Probably, in general, how mature and 'family' like the community is like. If there is drama on the forums, I wouldn't stick around.

Hmm..I don't really know. Maybe, how is the community as a whole?

Any. I think as long as it isn't slow paced because of rolls or waiting for the DM to type out really long emotes, anything and everything is welcomed.

That I would be disliked or outcasted. I hate that feeling.

Rather quickly.

Aww, Shatterspear. A bunch of people were there just messing around. It was sort of a cluster-fudge.

It was good. When I first joined the server, Qaza actually didn't hate me. But lol, then the staff hated me and made my experience for the next few months awful.

Hmm..I would have to say anything that dealt with the Circle of Discord. It was fun, we actually did something as evil characters that didn't involve killing everyone or being 'mwahaha' evil. I mean, I had some of the best 'romance RP' and some of the best 'teacher/student' RP because of that guild. I miss things like that.

What was your first sincerely negative experience? How early did you gain this experience?

Oh god. Do I have to pick one? First big one was having a few GMs openly attack my friends and myself for -no reason-. A close second would be being threatened with a ban during a restart. Third, having the staff, yet again, yell at me for something I wasn't to blame for. Oh, and the whole 'drama'-crap that all the older players know about.

I should probably say the first one started happening after a month of me being here.

GMs not threatening everyone with a kick when you said or did something wrong.

Not long. I forced myself into RP with Sprinkles, my gnome.

I can remember my first RP session on CotH. There was a bunch of people at the Azshara Tavern, which was the Booty Bay of the time. Someone was giving Sprinkles flack for being chubby and eating muffins/cupcakes. She became so angry and fired up that she started throwing muffins at him before finally portalling in a bunch on his head. It was great fun and the people involved were awesome.

Most people liked me, but hell, there will always be people who won't. I mean, I received my vouches rather quickly...I had at least ten on my list.

I think I mentioned it up top, but it dealt with a few GMs at the time. They mixed me up with a person I came to the server with and got on my case all the time over it. I honestly had had no bad experiences till that happened, I mean, some of the GMs vouched for me and told me I was swell. I mean, it took a LONG TIME for the staff to atleast deal with me. Hell, after things cleared up, Rensin and I became 'BFFSFSBFSBFBSBFSBSBFFSS'. Amazing shit.

And how did it feel? It was awful. All drama is awful.

PS. It is funny that you want to start doing that Loxxy, I tried to get people (Mind you, many, many moons ago) to join in on bi-weekly meet 'n greets and it turned into a flub because new players never showed up. Anyways. Good luck with it.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Quote:PS. It is funny that you want to start doing that Loxxy, I tried to get people (Mind you, many, many moons ago) to join in on bi-weekly meet 'n greets and it turned into a flub because new players never showed up. Anyways. Good luck with it.

I'll resort to kidnappings if necessary.

... <.<

No, but I'll figure something out.

Fun.

"Hey, what's th- OH GOD WHY AM I ON FIRE?!"

What kind of RP event could potentially be fun to run and participate in
that could, if all goes well, involve more "veteran" players as well?

I'd have to say somewhere between mystery, and travel.

To find out that everyone hunts down the new meat.

With the help of a certain candy-lord, it took me about ten, five minutes.

GMI? Oh boy. I just sat there in the side, as everyone talked. I felt like everything I would say would just come out terribly wrong, and I'd have to run away. Forever.

Shy, at best. Nexi granted me the magic of the Bronze Token!

I'd have to say, the experience with Torches and Rosencrat, involving the four month developing of Sangreala. Those were insane times.

This isn't to blame anyone, but myself. A certain someone was wiping the floor with me for a week in rolls, so I almost broke my PC in a rage of fit. (Totally not crazy.)

Probably knowing more people, but other then that? Nothing.

Took me about... An hour until I had the courage to join something.

My first session would be with the said candy-lord. It was rather un-eventful, but it got me a better grip on the ideas of the server.

Fairly well.

My first drama was recent, actually. I won't point fingers, or call names, but it was god awful.
Why was this never instituted Loxy?

I'm not interested in filling out that pretty survey but I would be more than willing to assist in actually doing something along these lines. Gimme a shout... or a kick in the face for resurrecting dead threads.
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]
How did I manage to miss this post???

Edit: Dangit, Nikodemos, what an epic necro! I read these as September -2012-.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]