The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Stages of Grief: A Guide on Being Able to Let Go
The Stages of Grief
A Guide on Being Able to Let Go
Brought to you in Palatino Linotype

So you've made an adventurer.

[Image: Guide01.png]

Man, that's a sweet adventurer.
You already like your adventurer. Like, immediately. You can tell she's gonna be a good one.
Adventurers come in all different shapes and size, some tall, some short, some built, some skinny, some dumb, some brilliant, some endowed, some flat. This list goes on. Either way, it's an adventurer alright and she's now yours!
But here's the catch, nobody roleplays alone, or often at least. At least not for long. You're obviously going to run into people who want to hurt you (but we'll get to that later) and people who want to be your friend. This is where your adventurer comes from being a silly little drawing Anski made to being an actual character. People inherently develop their characters without often thinking about it through social interaction, just as people define themselves and shape who they are by who they are often around. So, your little adventurer girl is going to need some friends.
[Image: Guide02.png]

Here's a cool orc who's tough on the outside and nice on the inside, like a klondike bar or stale melted cheese.

[Image: Guide03.png]

And here's a badass looking dwarf (who kind of looks like a wizard in a baseball jersey but that's not the point) who'll be there with your adventurer and orc-friend through thick and thin.
Either way, we have our two friends (People usually don't have more than two.. right?) and the adventuring begins! Whether it's sitting in a bar together and getting hammered to saving each other's life on the edge of the maelstrom holding on for dear life on the railing of a falling airship, each person's favorite adventurer goes through some pretty awesome adventures, and they stick around for a while.
Well, after a while, orc-friend stops logging in. That's ok, there's always dwarf-wizard-friend, and maybe you've made some new friends along the way! That's always neat. Especially when you make an enemy alongside dwarf-wizard-friend and new-elf-friend. Maybe your enemy looks like this:

[Image: Guide04.png]
This is really just a picture of Marianna.

Enemies aren't usually nice to your character and want to slay them. Fortunately, as a bastion of good/evil, you wish to destroy your nemesis as much as they want to destroy you. This makes for some great RP, and can stand as great turning points in your adventurers life. Some cause you to cut out your eyes and swear your life to killing them, some cause you to train to become a better adventurer to defend yourself from good/evil. As you do, you either engage in a locked battle of alignment versus alignment for eons or one of you succeeds in killing the other. Especially if you're the defeated, the rest of this guide centers on you.

You may be asking yourself a question so important to you that your answer could make or break a good character's longevity within the current status of the social hierarchy and continuance on the server world.

Now what?

This question has been asked by many men and women, such as Lincoln on winning the Civil War, the US eradicating smallpox and many people after completing college. For some people, this question is irrelevant, their adventurer's longevity will never be struck down by seven letters and a question mark. These people are typically forward thinkers and may have some involvement with applying their characters to this guide. We have reached the core beginning of this guide: Now what?

Your tiny adventurer has become a big adventurer and an old adventurer. They have made, and specifically lost, many friends along the way. You continue to use them forwardly as they grow in understanding and capability. Normally, this is where people usually forward their characters into Prestige titles so that they can gain even more development, but this system has become moot so your characters must come to a conclusion somewhere. But this is not the case with many people. Characters continue as far as their creator is willing to run with them, but this is for people who have stopped in the dust, looking at their old and beaten kite with a bunch of holes in it and glancing over at the cool kids with their new kites that don't have holes in them, and asking themselves the same question that has baffled mankind since the dawn of reason: Now what?

Some people leap at the opportune to remake them. Brand new adventurers at heart, they know nobody and haven't seen the trials of war and friendship. But, here lies an underlying concept, what halts the creator from simply guiding them in the same direction they were before because they're used to their character being the same way? They'll make a new dwarf-wizard-friend and fall in love with nice-human-friend and have a villain and they'll act the same in some aspects and different in others. Nobody travels down the same path twice, right? This is true, but when you're looking at the paths from a seat amongst the gods and pushing your little tiny-minions on where to go, you simply pick them back up and put them at the start when they hit the end of the world. They walk down the same path and in a way you're used to Navren still being Navren but with different experiences and Krilari still being Krilari with different hair. Why change that?

The purpose of this guild is to solve the "Now What?" question many people ask themselves at a point of the end of their character. Were it up to me, everyone would make brand new characters of everything and it'd be like the first day of a new school and you get to flourish out and meet people, instead of lingering around people who already know each other and you're still pretty minor on the food chain. No worries, though, people work their way up even when faced with such problems, but I digress. People who feel their characters have ran their life should be encouraged to spindle out threads of new ideas, new concepts and creations to keep the two day old clothing of the server fresh and not smelling like Anski-workout-sweat. Although this is more of an article than a guide, the stress remains the same.

If you're tired of a character, consider all the options you have at your disposal before simply changing their skin color and facial hair before tossing them back out into the world. You may be asking yourself, 'But Anski, why else is this relevant other than the congregation of your own personal idealism on the server?'
Fear not, question asking minions, because there are more points to make! Particularly, there is one red flagging high upon yourself rather than the server well-being at large. What is a good writer that has fallen ill on old ideas? Well, probably a continual best seller writer like that James Patterson fellow or old Tom Clancy. But, they write to themselves and the (ignorant) masses keep buying their novels! But here, on a cornerstone of human-to-human interaction, the informed masses must simply be creative enough to stand out amongst their peers to create everyone standing out and a blanket of glory will overtake the outward appearance of the player base. If you limit yourself down, one takes on the grief of having a character that they have made simply a thousand times before and this often enough leads people to becoming simply disenchanted with the idea of RPing anymore. It's harrowingly sad, but from my concourse across the server, i've seen it done simply a million times before from a lot of people I consider my friends.

Now, this isn't a forward demand for everyone to trash their characters and start a new, but rather for people to cope with the often foreign concept of beginning again with no traces of their past around them. The forging of a new mold into a solid brick of iron is not an easy task, and one must begin into it with a forceful confidence, or fail where others have succeeded. Everyone started brand new on the server once, and some feel like they must rise to the challenge again. Fear not, new adventurer, for it is easier than once perceived. The upward bonuses of being able to begin from nothing is the allowance of your characters to be something you have no knowledge of doing before. You may ask 'But Anski, what simply stops us from rolling alts and experiencing what we've yet to experience before?' The answer is simply nothing. Nothing stops a player from experiencing all there is to experience with new characters, but the valley remains a valley no matter how high you climb up the walls. If you tire of your new alt adventurer, you simply slide down the canyon walls back into your safe zone.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. However, if you've slid down so much, you may feel as if you can never climb up the canyon wall again, and that walking in a canyon isn't really all it's cracked up to be and you're bent on going fishing or doing something that looks clearly more interesting than what was before it. This is the point that the whole article is focused on: a clean slate may be the only solution to a person feeling down in a rut from RPing and wish to absolve themselves from it because they have simply exhausted their character and they can grow no more. Their pretty adventurer has become worn with time and has simply seen so many people that meeting someone else is not new, they'd rather wish dwarf-wizard-friend and orc-friend were still around so their adventurer could be their adventurer in full. Unfortunately, people do leave for this reason or that reason, and those who hunker through the years simply just have old characters. I have experienced this three times now, as a whole account rather than a single adventurer.

There's always a bright side to starting with nothing at all and reconfiguring that into something brand new, but there is also a downside. You're starting into a place where many people have reached a plateau of character relationships, and becoming a part of that makes you feel like a foreign adventurer in a sea of fish that all know each other by first name and ask how their wives are doing. This is tough but possible to be overcome, especially when everyone is almost severing all of their relationships at once. Sure, some won't, (but who needs them anyway?) and that's alright. However, many more will be.

If you're feeling your characters have all grown into great things and their prime has come and gone, it may be right well to look into another option than just simply remaking them over again. It's clearly not for everybody, some characters are still in their prime, and if you feel they are, then continue to run with them as far as you're willing to go, it shows a capital perseverance of self and writing, but not all feel this way. If you're willing to let go, it's not as hard as it looks.

Everyone needs a new main adventurer every now and then.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
Brilliant.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Well, one of the problems that I have with restarting fresh (which was my original plan for this restart) is the people. Not only your wife, but friends and such. /shrug
You can still have the same OOC friends and interact with them differently IC right?
(09-07-2011, 06:33 PM)Anski Wrote: The purpose of this guild is to...
Typo. Anywho, great guide if a bit long. Perfect timing with the whole restart thing.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
It's such a tense moment when you have to decide on dropping a main. But you really really should start a new one. If only you could get both, and perhaps also do something about the dwindling playtime and the many characters you'd like to get into that playtime.

On of the things I loved most in comic book history was Amalgam.

Inspired by it, what I'll be doing this restart and what may be a good solution for many of the RPers out there looking for a mix of new starts and old background is melding sets of characters in sets of two or even three.The six characters that have been my mains over time will become about three new characters with, I hope, deeper nuance by a process of intelligent, well thought-out melding between characters.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
I don't see the problem people have with juggling mains. I have 4 mains, of which 3 get RPed quite equally, and have good development and established characters.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Hmm, I had a hard time getting sense of the guide. I didn't read all of it but that's the point; guides should have some structure, be close to the point, and offer some instruction.

For example, you could have the format for introduction that explains the context of the guide, and then separate it into parts. Have one of the parts include maybe tips and steps to letting go, and then wrap it up into a conclusion. Otherwise the drawings and writings are nice, but this feels structured more like a general post than something to offer guidance.
(09-07-2011, 06:43 PM)Cressy Wrote: Brilliant.

Thank yous, Cress. :>

FlyingSquirrel Wrote:Well, one of the problems that I have with restarting fresh (which was my original plan for this restart) is the people. Not only your wife, but friends and such. /shrug

Each situation is different, as some characters are very deep within interpersonal relationships amongst others that it'd be insane to just rip it out. If you truly wish to start anew, the best bet would be talking to those you're too tied into and working it out with them.

Ural Wrote:
'Anski Wrote:The purpose of this guild is to...
Typo. Anywho, great guide if a bit long. Perfect timing with the whole restart thing.

Yes, it was getting quite late when I wrote it, it'll be fixed and thank yous. :>

DaveM Wrote:It's such a tense moment when you have to decide on dropping a main. But you really really should start a new one. If only you could get both, and perhaps also do something about the dwindling playtime and the many characters you'd like to get into that playtime.

On of the things I loved most in comic book history was Amalgam.

Inspired by it, what I'll be doing this restart and what may be a good solution for many of the RPers out there looking for a mix of new starts and old background is melding sets of characters in sets of two or even three.The six characters that have been my mains over time will become about three new characters with, I hope, deeper nuance by a process of intelligent, well thought-out melding between characters.

I concur, what a brilliant idea!

CappnRob Wrote:I don't see the problem people have with juggling mains. I have 4 mains, of which 3 get RPed quite equally, and have good development and established characters.

Not all of us have the time to juggle characters enough to make many of them our mains, unfortunately. I for one can only be on at certain times now, which limits my overall capability to play multiple characters within the timespans that i'd like to due to my current work. As I said in the guide, however, if you do have characters that are running well and you're enjoying the RP, there is no reason to stop doing such a thing.

Wuvvums Wrote:Hmm, I had a hard time getting sense of the guide. I didn't read all of it but that's the point; guides should have some structure, be close to the point, and offer some instruction.

For example, you could have the format for introduction that explains the context of the guide, and then separate it into parts. Have one of the parts include maybe tips and steps to letting go, and then wrap it up into a conclusion. Otherwise the drawings and writings are nice, but this feels structured more like a general post than something to offer guidance.

Well, as you commented before finishing reading, you must have missed the part where I quipped that it was more of an article rather than a guide, with the hierarchal divisions being interjected into the text in an orderly fashion rather than with obtuse headings. The section is 'Articles & Guides', after all.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
Is this where I deposit my sacrifice, mistress? (Great guide too.)
Really awesome... whatcha-ma-call-it, thingy.

But seriously. This pretty much explains my day to day RP life, I'll be sitting here... doing my 'homework' and all of a sudden I'll get a brilliant (mostly not-so-brilliant) idea for a character. I'll stay up writing a character sheet until about 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning, then realize I have class in a couple hours.
Personally, I love restarting. :3
I dumped like... Two or three characters. I think.
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
...But...

Spoiler:
[Image: 34ozinm.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sewer Swimming: A Guide to Sueism, Godmodding and Clichés HelveteSong 36 15,305 10-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Scow2
  Hero Guide! c0rzilla 22 7,974 06-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla