The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The shaman's Reincarnation spell (and other self-resurrecting methods).
Dunno if this issue was addressed before, but here goes.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Reincarnation

Essentially, as long as a shaman has at least one ankh, then self-resurrection is possible. However, seeing as this is a possibility of character death abuse, I'm guessing that this is not allowed in COTH.... or is it?

This discussion is also open to other self-resurrecting means such as the warlock's soulstones. I don't know if priests, paladins, or druids can resurrect themselves as well (never personally levelled them past 10).
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
We've generally accepted reincarnation and soulstone-based resurrections. The only issue being is that these sorts of resurrections are extremely taxing on mind body and spirit, which means more drawbacks basically.
Resurrections are unlimited, so yes. It's possible. Still have to wait a week, still need drawbacks. Worse ones according to Krilari. Light users cannot bring themselves back, and neither can druids, according to game mechanics. Is there some obscure lore reason they can? Perhaps.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
While a soulstone binds the Warlock to it, thereby keeping his or her soul out of the afterlife, Shamans have an affinity with the world of the spirits and can navigate it. It's not too much of a stretch to believe that they can quest their way back out of the afterlife, with or without the aid of a friendly spirit, by finding their body's location in the parallel world of the spirits (where the ankh is just one kind of spiritual marker that shows where the body is).

In both ways, they provide a link to the corpse that is more than the corpse can be on its own. One is a forcible binding against spiritual release, while the other is a beacon to find the body from the afterlife.
It's generally accepted that if it's an OOC skill mechanic, then we can do it. Rezz away.

Soulstones and reincarnation are the only means of self-resurrection, I think. I don't see why they'd have more dire ramifications than a regular ass resurrection, though, given all they do is let you come to life on the spot.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Also, I remember someone telling me that an Ankh was just something that held great importance to the Shaman. Let's use my own Shaman, Bragdana, for example. His Ankh, when I used Reincarnation for him, was his axe. More importantly, the skull in the axe. The reason that this skull is so important to him is that he's had it for over thirty years, and he could not reincarnate until he had both this and the Element/Spirit's blessing to resurrect.

Take this as you will.
(10-03-2011, 03:32 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: Also, I remember someone telling me that an Ankh was just something that held great importance to the Shaman. Let's use my own Shaman, Bragdana, for example. His Ankh, when I used Reincarnation for him, was his axe. More importantly, the skull in the axe. The reason that this skull is so important to him is that he's had it for over thirty years, and he could not reincarnate until he had both this and the Element/Spirit's blessing to resurrect.

Take this as you will.

Really?? I am intrigued! Can jewelry also be a resurrection reagent for a shaman?
I suppose anything that's important to the Shaman could be. And by important, I mean very important. I suppose it could also be living, like a loved one.
So I see! :D
Though the importance of the object is key, the other necessary value of a resurrection point is that it actually allows your spirit to find your body. Items are simple because generally they stick with you if you're killed out in the boonies by some bandit, but people move around. It's the union of spirit and body that matter, and you can't come back without help if you can't find yourself. For instance, if a Shaman's body is annihilated in a pit of lava, there's no chance even the most loved spouse would be beacon enough to let them find their body from the spirit world. That thing is gone.

Then again, this gets into my "Warcraft cosmology puts importance on body and spirit" rant about relatively intact bodies or body parts being necessary vessels for resurrection, and no one wants that.
That's an incredibly interesting concept, Flying. I never really took upon it to think that way.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
Don't give me the credit. However, I can't remember who told me it, so yea.
(10-03-2011, 04:10 PM)Kaghuros Wrote: Though the importance of the object is key, the other necessary value of a resurrection point is that it actually allows your spirit to find your body. Items are simple because generally they stick with you if you're killed out in the boonies by some bandit, but people move around. It's the union of spirit and body that matter, and you can't come back without help if you can't find yourself. For instance, if a Shaman's body is annihilated in a pit of lava, there's no chance even the most loved spouse would be beacon enough to let them find their body from the spirit world. That thing is gone.

Then again, this gets into my "Warcraft cosmology puts importance on body and spirit" rant about relatively intact bodies or body parts being necessary vessels for resurrection, and no one wants that.

I imagine the scenario stated though couldn't happen, as I believe a rule on the server is you can't deny someone a resurrection.

It could happen in the universe, which is why I mentioned it. Even though I personally think the rez rules are held out to a ridiculous extent (being infinite and undeniable), the solution for an in-character confrontation would probably not involve lava and would leave some recognizably corpsey bits of the corpse behind.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Community Inquiry II: Custom Spell for Special Classes CappnRob 17 7,091 08-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Last Post: Grakor456
  Shaman Different spirit forms. hyenaskate 4 1,094 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Bovel
  A Human Shaman sunday12321 43 7,437 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Name of Orcish Shaman! GeneralDefyre 2 736 12-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Last Post: GeneralDefyre
  Mage Spell: Wish BountyHunter 6 1,281 11-09-2010, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Bovel