The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

RP
I just wanted to make a quick little thread, not to be mad at anyone or to rant on certain people, but to just quickly remind people of the servers number 1 rule.

Respect.

Now, specifically I have noticed this in me most recent thread, but I have noticed it for other people as well. It is that people get mad when people post an idea that has been posted before. Guys, don't get mad just because someone reposts a already suggested idea. It is not a waste of time, it is simply showing that there are more people interested in it.

Rather than saying, "This has already been suggested but nice try" Be nice and just say, "Thanks for your opinion."

Another thing, is the topics of threads. Another thing that was a great problem with my last thread, but I have noticed elsewhere a lot.

When the subject says "Let's talk about A" Don't start talking about B. That is just simply stating my idea. People often have have a great problem with their personal feelings getting in the way of actually discussing the topic. If someone wants to add a suggestion for the server, then talk about it. Don't talk about why this related thing or this other thing is bad or good. Talk about the actual pros and cons of that specific suggestion.

Example: We were supposed to be talking about the orphan whistles.

We ended up very quickly talking about how bad child abuse was.

The whistles in no way affected this.

What am I getting at? I would have preferred that we had ACTUALLY discussed the pros and cons of whistles, not the problems of something that they would/do not affect.

Now, as I said, I do not mean to make anyone mad or to tell everyone "You suck learn to be nice or shut up" Or anything like that. I know I will often myself get off topic or angry at people and show disrespect when I don't mean too. But there are some people around here that I have yet to see show respect to me, and seem to me to think very highly of themselves, and think it their place to twist words into something they can get mad at me for.

I honestly don't enjoy having everything I say changed into something that turns me into the bad guy, which is why you often see me in my threads getting mad at people.

Thanks for listening to me rant, if you actually read all that. Sorry if anyone got offended, but I am simply speaking the truth.
I, Dareksar, approve of this thread and agree with it.
Another thing I might add...

If you don't like what someone says, deal with it. You may not agree, but that is what discussing is for. Not saying "This is stupid you are stupid for bringing this up".

And a note for the GMs. Don't close threads because there is disrespect going on. People need to learn to work their problems out, not just be closed off from talking about it in that specific place.
I don't mean to be rude, but the job of the administrative staff here should be to make SURE people work out their differences. Not just close them off from doing it publicly.

Not saying anything bad, I love the GM team here, but some things need to just happen. And people discussing against each other is one of those things.
Umm, I'm not trying to cause trouble. But as caretakers of the forums, the GM's actually reserve the right to close a thread down if they believe it's becoming out of hand. Without the diligence the GM team show, the dedication and effort they put into monitoring these threads, I'm sure we'd have multiple discussion threads on the same topic, and flaming would be quite constant.

Also ... it is also possible that you read a particular comment incorrectly. Without the use of tone of voice, it's hard to decipher entirely the emotion a text on the computer screen and it's true meaning. Would you be standing in front of me while I try and say this to you, you would find I'd be stuttering and not keeping eye contact. Even your own interpretations of people's responses can be twisted out of proportion xox
"When it rains, do you run from door to door, getting wet all the same, or do you walk with dignity and accept it's raining?"
"On a rainy night, does the sandman send the mud-man?"

.<=='"Characters"''==>.
Karast - The Unlikely Paladin.
Tarlak Nightstride - The Lone Hunter.
Salinia Windrider - Princess.
Alaszun Nightglade - Priestess of the Elune.

.<=="'Threads'"==>.
Renae's cooking thread

"Think about the rain dance for just a moment. Don't you think you'd need rain dance practice? I mean some guys don't know it, some may have forgotten. You know what I wonder? Does it rain during practice? If it doesn't how do you know you got it right? And if it does ... why bother with the dance in the first place. Hey, need a little rain? Call a practice!"
When a thread is containing much non-constructive debate which is borderline or blatant disrespect from one or all parties, locking a thread is more often than not the wisest choice of action. Better to douse a fire instead of letting it burn until it dies.
While I agree with most in this thread, threads are almost always locked for a very good reason.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
I know, and I understand that. But if you close a thread because some people are fighting, they are just going to finish it elsewhere. That is only a personal solution in my opinion.

But still, I know what you mean and yes I do often agree with them locking threads. I am just saying that in SOME cases I don't.
Majority of the time when a thread is closed dear, the thread has reduced from an open discussion down to two people arguing between each other. At this stage, the forum readers would actually prefer that they finish the 'discussion' elsewhere. No one wants to read a cluttering forum. Such times it is often more mature to finish the arguing through whispers, or another private venue xox
"When it rains, do you run from door to door, getting wet all the same, or do you walk with dignity and accept it's raining?"
"On a rainy night, does the sandman send the mud-man?"

.<=='"Characters"''==>.
Karast - The Unlikely Paladin.
Tarlak Nightstride - The Lone Hunter.
Salinia Windrider - Princess.
Alaszun Nightglade - Priestess of the Elune.

.<=="'Threads'"==>.
Renae's cooking thread

"Think about the rain dance for just a moment. Don't you think you'd need rain dance practice? I mean some guys don't know it, some may have forgotten. You know what I wonder? Does it rain during practice? If it doesn't how do you know you got it right? And if it does ... why bother with the dance in the first place. Hey, need a little rain? Call a practice!"
I've been around for quite some time, Zero. I'd like to think I've been around long enough to sense when a thread is going to escalate into a flame war without achieving any productive end. Not that I'm some sort of psychic, but it's pretty easy to recognise a thread that will end with a few pages of senseless yelling before a GM decides to unload the fire extinguisher. The only result would've just been a group of irritated people.

If the thread was just a simple debate then I wouldn't have closed it. -That- would've been settling differences, and as such I probably wouldn't bat an eyelid. That thread was a few things, but settling differences wasn't one of them, nor was it a thread that looked like there was any intent of there being a discussion. You even titled the thread "Stupid" and complained to people who chill in the cavern. From my angle, it simply looked as if the whole purpose of the thread was just to rant at and tell people what they should be doing in their free time.

So that's why I closed it. *shrug*

EDIT: The reason I closed your other thread at least.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Well, on my last thread, everyone got COMPLETELY off topic, and no one did anything about it.
GMs are also at liberty to close threads that go completely off topic. We generally don't unless it's been said to get back on topic and no one's listened, but we're still obliged to close threads that stray from the discussion to something unrelated.

EDIT: I think what I'm saying is making me out to be more peeved that I am. I'm not, I'm just explaining it in simple terms instead of beating around the bush.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Actually that thread wasn't closed for being off topic. Kretol closed it because he said his stance has not changed and that the decision is no. I don't see why a request thread should stay open after he's come to a verdict.
It wasn't really that off topic. You wanted a whistle, people explained why it wasn't allowed the last time. Kretol locked the thread because he denied it.

And, about derailing, you did it a few times in the thread. Sometimes you can't point fingers and put the blame on other people.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
By the way Cressy, you were one of the people I was talking about in the first thread.

And you guys need to see what I am saying. I said they DIDN'T do anything. You just made my point for me. He locked it because it was denied, not because of everyone yelling at each other over child abuse.

Especially you Cressy, need to read. I specifically said in the first post.

"Now, as I said, I do not mean to make anyone mad or to tell everyone "You suck learn to be nice or shut up" Or anything like that. I know I will often myself get off topic or angry at people and show disrespect when I don't mean too"

And It was a discussion about whistles, not about the possible abuse of IC children. That could happen just as easily without the whistles, so it was not a valid point. That is what I mean.
Unfortunately, Zero, I think you need to listen to your own request. I see you frequently throwing out disrespect and anger, sometimes way too quickly. You can't ask for something if you aren't willing to give it yourself.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]