The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Forsaken purposes..
Hi!

I just can't seem to be able to give Forsaken characters a purpose beyond the very simple (show off power by killing, take over the world etc).

Can anyone give me some insight on what could a Forsaken decide, beyond revenge or the like? (Besides, most revenge is satiated now the Lich King is gone, but meh)

Beer
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
Forsaken come in pretty wide varieties. From the 'classic evil villain' sort of archetype to much, much more. They are generally thought of as this sort because of their grimdark nature. If you mean a larger purpose, you need but to take a look to Cataclysm.

With their rival gone, they've taken to expanding and securing their borders. You see many Forsaken devoted to their Queen and country and they are fully willing to go to great lengths to protect and reclaim what was once theirs in life.

You could continue on as an apothecary. Although the society has a hurt reputation from good ol' Putress, they labor on with their research. That being chemical warfare in a sense. That isn't the only field which they study. Undead constructs had been a major focus, however the Kor'kron seem to have nearly taken Abominations out of commission.

Among those two listed common archetypes, there's several more. A warlock is still a warlock, undead or not. A mage is still a mage, undead or not. Simply give them a bit of flavoring from the Forsaken perspective and viola.

Hope that helps at all.

Edit:

Bah! How could I have forgotten Shadow Priests! The Cult of Forgotten Shadow! D:! This aspect intertwines itself deeply in Forsaken culture. It does not strictly require you to be the stereotyped 'destroy all' undead. But it brings a thirst for power, healthy or not. It is interesting to see and RP all around. If you are lucky, you may even come to the desired end of Shadow Ascendant! Someone to be both feared and respected among Forsaken brethren.
[Image: tumblr_m1dc8rDUHe1rn95k2o1_400.gif]
I'm fascinated by the idea of undeath. I've had some of my most interesting RP on undead characters, and I think a lot of it revolves around a question common to us in the real world.

"If I could do it all over again, what would I change? Would I change?"

Okay, so technically that was two questions. Regardless, I love exploring the fact that these undead characters (Forsaken and Death Knight alike) are given a second chance, have what will amount to a much longer lifespan to do something with it, and in many cases are doing it with greater endurance. Your typical revenge type comes from this obviously, as in "RAWR! I AM MUMR...UHHH...ED THE EVERLIVING!!!!" My undead witch Bruhara fits your revenge type, hating the living for drowning her, her husband, and her young child. But other avenues also open up.

Jonoth, while still desiring revenge against his former Captain, is largely stuctured around his unending desire to sail the seas and explore, and he finds himself with near infinite time to do so. My Tauren DK Yvakara is starting to move past killing her own child, and is re-undergoing the Rites of the Earthmother, seeing her undeath as a rebirth and second life. My Human DK Rhodyngar is continuing to fight the good fight, still upholding the tenets of the Holy Light despite wielding darker magic, and at the same time debating whether he should make himself known to his family.

The idea of a second life is a powerful one, and opens up a world of chance to do something unique. Ask youself: If you had a second chance, what would you do with it?
As well...

...Do take the time to remember that even if they're undead, they're ultimately still a person.

Though death is a trauma like no other, and though theirs is a cold existence... They were born human; that they born again doesn't change that.

Put yourself in their shoes, if you can bear it.

What would you do, were you slain but risen as they?

Would you be bitter, would you be glad? Perchance the least bit mad?

Who and what have you lost? Who and what haven't you?

Do you mourn your country that was, or honestly delight in the ashes of dead Lordaeron?

Did you rally around Sylvanas, and her incendiary rhetoric of vengeance and liberty?

Did you resent any of the powers that be, for forsaking you and yours?

Maybe you merely rode the Banshee Queen bandwagon, but with the wars in Northrend over... What now?

Contemplate your character's plight.

If you honestly can't think of something worth living fighting for, you could have it that character can't either.

I've certainly heard the philosophy that the meaning of life is to give life meaning.

...Still. Forsaken are people too. Core concept.

What is your purpose? The respective aspirations of your other characters?
(01-18-2012, 05:47 PM)LostStranger Wrote: ...Still. Forsaken are people too. Core concept.

Some others said it too... Honestly, its the best advice that can be given in the situation. However, as I love Forsaken, allow me to go on about them for a little while.

The perception that Forsaken are a bunch of evil deaders that just want to rule Azeroth is incorrect. Sure, there is a core group of them that are against any living beings. However, put that in the general context of how the races has some racism towards another race and it's not really such a dark thought anymore. As for Revenge against the Lich King, once again many of the races all have the same reason to hate the Lich King. We see it stressed in Forsaken because of Putress... But I could see Blood Elves wanting the same revenge as an example (I'm sure other races too).

When you take away what 'seems' to be more characteristic of their race, you get down to what is truly most characteristic IMO. A group of people who had their lives forcefully taken away from them... Who were made to do the bidding of another, possibly destroy their families, friends, and homes, and then suddenly regained a consciousness to who they where. That same group became hated my humanity, even though they were once humans. Yet, what they've done, and what they've become is an offense against the beliefs of their former race.

Through all that despair that people does not simply sink into a depressive state (though some undoubtedly have). Instead, they take pride in the Queen who protected them and cling to the very name that characterizes what they are, Forsaken. Everything, from their manner, to their religion, to the grim home of Undercity, represent this pride. We think of them as 'evil,' but their entire culture is based around the only thing they can understand truly. Death. Many of them reject their past life as life seems to have rejected them. That's why you've got this grim dark culture.

But... then of course it gets confusing. Because, no matter how much pride they can find in their new culture and way of existing... There are still the confusing ties of the old life and of the questions that cannot be answered. Many still seek to feel alive, even if they cannot -be- alive. That leads to Forsaken who might pursue the arcane/fel and the Echo of Life cult. But that can also lead to a generally more compassionate Forsaken. It can explain why some who became Forsaken together retain ties of family/marriage/love even though most of the former life is rejected/forgotten.

And of course, you've got a race of people who cannot reproduce (since we are not in Cataclysm). Imagine being not only the youngest of all the races... But the one thats existence is finite. There are a set number of Forsaken... And that number can only decrease. Combined with the pride you've garnered for your race it can lead one to being protective of the lands held by Undercity. Defensive to downright hostile against any who would dare harm another Forsaken. This feeling is one that other races can't possibly share and truly I think its underplayed. Despite the egotistical grim dark nature, there is also a great potential for strong ties of brotherhood, though brotherhood built on different kinds of relationships.

Not to mention that the numbered existence of the Forsaken puts into stress their need to grasp at power. Cult of Forgotten Shadow that shows how to ascend past the weak forsaken body into a stronger, seemingly immortal one. That's important because doing so keeps the hope that the race will be preserved alive. Honestly, you could explain the egotistical/power hungry side of many Forsaken with the necessity to gain power. Relations with the Horde are unstable at best. The Alliance would have them wiped out if possible. The only way to exist is to spend your time finding ways to continue to exist. It doesn't matter what the source of power is or who is giving it. Morality cannot become an issue when existence is on the line.

Finally, there is are tons of problems that Forsaken might encounter... They are dead and yet can still die, bodies decayed and yet can still fall back into mindlessness. They seem ageless, but do they really age? Being such a young race with no prior history its hard to understand what will happen. While pride and necessity normally keeps a Forsaken going, they have the potential to be complex characters.

I have no nerves, yet I still can remember how pain feels. They call me emotionless, yet sometimes I'm over taken by rage or fear. I try hard, hard to be what I am, a cold dead being... Yet, by simply being I contradict the death that has taken me.

The living dead. Its a powerful contradiction and while many Forsaken have a stony(boney) poker face... There is still a deep psychology within, effected by numerous significant events.... But yeah, I could go on and on about this but I think somewhere in here you could find an answer to purpose.
[Image: c9eda896-b205-41b9-9f52-22b1e122210f.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help of the Forsaken. 3brothersInn 9 1,975 06-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Last Post: therew