The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Serpent and the Fox
The Serpent and the Fox

-I-

I promised Dino to help find Alba and Davide. Promised. This Red Glove nonsense has to stop. Perhaps it's a bit of poetic justice, my actions? A lost Bisen family member, attempting to end a Syndicate-related crime hive.

Who are they, Alba and Davide...? Old friends of his. Alba is from the Glove itself, Davide her husband. Simple loving bakers on the surface.

The Doc knows Alba's looking for his home in Stormwind, he has worried, so I offered to go find her.

...I don't think my parents thought I'd be potentially breaking into old homes, aiding ex-criminals when I went into the Cathedral. Neither did I.

...I need to stop talking to myself in my head. Who knows how long until it spreads to my tongue and lips?

Stormwind. The only place in Azeroth where it never seems to rain. Indeed, it is a tranquil mid-Spring early afternoon, and down the street steps a young woman donned in the blue and white robes of a priestess. Her brown-black hair is tied in a braid at the nape of her neck instead of pony-tail. The billowing sleeves conceal her mechanical left arm, a spring blue cloak over it all. The ensemble hides her toned muscle, all engineering grime scrubbed off. She is glowing in femininity. And on top of all this, once violet eyes were now hazel. The wonders of ocular science found in Dalaran; glass contact lenses.

Under the ensemble? She hopes the straps on her strong legs hold her small arsenal secure. Various non-lethal tricks, traps, and distractions are stuck to and hidden in the gray pants covering her legs. Beauty is only skin deep.

I can't believe I'm doing this, can't believe...what am I saying? I have to believe, it's what I do.

Along she steps to Old Town, as if she is to visit a Church office stationed there for the poor in the area.

Civilians pass by. As the sun rises high over the town, children rush down the street. Grownups chatted. Some took to the noon sun and retreated indoors. Guards marched up and down, shields and swords to their arms. Doors to a bakery swing open as a tall fellow with slicked, curled black hair and a peculiarly long nose steps out, opening the door for a tiny, mousey woman with scratched cheeks and frizzled rusty-red hair. The lady smiles at her new husband, a basket of baked goods in her arms. "See? It wasn't so bad."

"I still think you can bake better," Davide bluntly says as he kept the door open. Alba chuckles, not commenting.

Annabelle eyes the guards now and then, but she passes off her watching with a glint in her eye. Obviously just checking out all the strong men in armor, and not their numbers or patrol routes. Letting a girlish blush appear on her cheeks to strengthen her illusion should one or two look her way, she flits her gaze to a familiar voice.

Eugh. That her...?

She stops herself from leaning over in relief. She watches the baker and his wife, eying Davide a moment. Analyzing. He passes her judgement.

She clears her throat softly, then walks on. Casually passing by the bakery, she spots the woman holding the basket. She lifts her right hand to wave. "Er, pardon, miss? D'you need any help?" She sets her fingertips to her chin as she awaits an answer.

Alba looks up to Annabelle and smiles. She doesn't recognize her right away. "Ah, no thank you, but I'm grateful for the offer." She steps out completely, Davide closing the door.

Annabelle lowers her hand to rest again on the handle of her own basket. The checkered cloth covering it nicely conceals her engineered spellgun. "Ah, d'you mind if I accompany? Even with the guard Old Town can be a bit...dodgy." She glances back and forth down the road. Spotting the look of a guard that seemed to have taken a fancy to her, she plays along with a girlish little wave, then fidgets with the end of her braid over her shoulder. She coughs lightly, conceals a roll of her eyes, then looks back to Alba.

Alba smiles, the scratches on her cheeks lifting with the corners of her lips. "Why, certainly! It's good to have company, especially since we don't know our way too well around this city. My name is Alba, and this is my husband, Davide."

"Pleased to meet you," Davide greets formally with a bow.

Annabelle bows a couple inches at her waist. "Anya Zelenyee!" Ugh, that was horrible. What kind of name is that? She waits for Alba to descend the steps and approach her side before starting off. "You two are lovely together, truly."

"Oh, why thank you!" Alba says, her smile as bright as the sun. "We just got married two months ago."

Davide stays quiet as he stays behind the women. He knows better than to interrupt womenfolk’s chats.

Annabelle lets Alba lead the way, as she has little to no idea where they are going. "Ah? Is this your first home together?" She glances back to the bakery, then to Alba again. Perhaps also scanning quickly for any followers besides Davide.

Alba shakes her head. "We actually married in Dalaran and are boarding there temporarily. We're searching for a new home, with little money we have. But we do hope to visit a friend first."

Annabelle peers around a moment, as if a bit lost in this scary, dilapidated part of town. She inhales a moment, offers an unvoiced prayer in her rushing mind, then leans slightly to Alba. To passers by her demeanor is one of girlish gossip. Her tone has returned to her lower, experienced one as Alba had heard previously in the magocratic city-state. "If we think of the same friend, he sent a letter. Did you get it?"

Alba blinks. The memory of that voice nags her, though no bells are rung yet. "I'm sorry?"

Davide quirks a brow and follows closer, the dutiful husband feeling suspicions rise.

A soft huff, then an equally soft smirk. The techno-priestess is pleased with her disguise. "S'me, Anna." She doesn't pay heed to Davide's following closer, considering it only natural. He probably should be in on this anyway. "In Dalaran recently. Yeah?"

Alba's eyes widen. "Oh! I remember you now...you're a friend of Di-" She stops herself and looks around. Guards. So many guards. Or was that just her paranoia multiplying them all? She coughs a bit and continues. "...friend of the good old Doctor. I didn't think I'd see you again like this." She raises her brows. "He sent me a letter?"

Annabelle nods, not following Alba's gaze to the footmen. Don't want to stare too much. "Yeah, I didn't think so either. He did, something about your father being a guard here. And--why he really can't practice here anymore."

Alba freezes dead in her tracks, her rosy cheeks blanching white. "My.... father...is...here?"

Davide stops with her as well, frozen in fear as well--and protective anger. He glares as he looks around.

Annabelle bites her bottom lip, not expecting such a drastic reaction. She steps in front of Alba, setting her left hand on her shoulder, gripping the cloak meanwhile to still keep its nature hidden. She fans with the her right as if the sun had got to the mousy woman. "S'why he sent me. Or--...well, I sort of offered to send myself. He's a snake, I'm a nosy little fox, yeah?" She eyes Davide apologetically, then looks to Alba. "Come on. Can't stand out here like that.”

Alba snaps out of it, shaking her head. She nibbles onto her fingernails as she thinks. She then looks to Annabelle, the smile returning, though nervous. "Is that so?...well, if we go by animal motifs... heh..." She does not elaborate. "Well, then... a letter, yes? Now that I think about it, I haven't checked the mailbox in days. I suppose that's what happens when you finally break old habits."

Davide narrows his eyes. "If your father is here, we better avoid the guard's sight. I hope he wouldn't recognize you, though."

"Oh, he'll recognize me, Davide." She twirls her frizzy hair. Her husband catches on and somberly nods.

“Doc was worried about you--and, I think he advised you not being in Stormwind with this guy around.” She eyes them both, letting Alba go. She lets the mousy baker lead again, wherever she was headed in the first place. She adjusts the cloak about her, plain, thick enough for the cool left in early spring. She shifts it so that it hangs more over her left arm than right.

The smaller woman shakes her head, though she bows her head to hide her fear. "No...I came here for a reason. The Doctor said...he told me that he escaped because a guard let him go...he only told me that much. But he seemed so...anxious to return to Stormwind despite adjusting to just finding a home elsewhere. Like he left behind something. I don't know what it is.... but... if my father is here..." She nibbles her fingernails again, like a mouse nibbles cheese.

Annabelle frowns a bit, her softer hand lifting to touch Alba's cheek. There I go into protective, mothering mode. Fox, or mother bear? Hm. “...He told me you might be snooping around.” She smirks softly. “I have that habit too. Might be safer with the both of us, yeah? And--...the guard. Yeah. That was your father.” She states in an exhale. “Any idea what this thing is? I haven’t a clue.”

If Alba was fearful before, now she is stricken with terror. She looks up to Annabelle then to Davide, as if to overcome with it all to speak.

Davide catches on to his wife's horror. "...Seems we need to talk away from public ears. Let's see if we find ourselves an inn."

Annabelle bites her bottom lip, retracting her hand. She wraps that arm about her torso and nods. She sighs and glances down, very uncertain if she’s doing this well at all. Believe...She lifts her chin, and motions so for Davide to lead.

He searches around, slipping ahead of the two women, then sees the way to a nearby inn. "I'll pay." He leads the two women inside, having Alba following behind him as his large frame hides her. He pays the innkeeper up front, only for a day. He takes the women upstairs as a key is given to him, watching behind himself as he does. No one follows, not even a curious urchin. He sighs in relief as he unlocks a door and leaves it open for his two companions to walk in. Alba does not hesitate to slip inside.

Annabelle follows in, abandoning her girlish steps for her more purposeful, masculine stride, boots heavy on the wooden floor. She sets her basket on a table and lifts the cloth with its contents glued on. She checks her spell gun, her needle gun. She nods, relieved her precious toys are safe. She glances back, checking on Alba’s condition.

Alba's back is frozen stiff as she seats herself down. Davide immediately checks around the room, checking the window and keeping the curtains closed, then pressing his ears against the walls for possible neighbors. All clear.

He looks like a bird searching for a worm...

Annabelle watches Davide’s checking, blinking. Then smirks softly. She looks back to Alba, lips turning to soft, concerned frown.

The Mouse looks up to Annabelle, finally breathing as if she had no breath before. "....What has the Doctor told you about The Red Glove?"

“Eh--...” She tugs off her cloak as she ponders her response, tossing it over a chair. It gets caught on one of her metallic claws for a moment, then with a shake and another tug is freed. She checks the arm over, making sure it didn’t overheat in its confines. She picks off some lint as she makes her way over to sit on the bed. “Not too much on the inner politics. I’ve got the names of a few members. It worked with the Syndicate of Alterac, mmh...I honestly don’t ask. It’s his business and life to tell me when he wishes. I just care about keeping you guys safe.” That soft smirk again.

"You're absolutely right. They surely did have affiliations with the Syndicate, but they cut them off not long after the War ended. Are aware of their operations? Or what kind they ran?"

Davide takes notice of the constructed arm and stares rather awkwardly down the length of his pointed nose.

Annabelle flexes the clawed fingers, then clenches her hand. Not threatening, just testing. “Not quite. I figure assassinations, murder, subterfuge...if Dino’s skill set says anything, blatant, basic thievery doesn’t seem too big of a focus. Though, I figure it’s used. Useful.” She shrugs idly. She peers over at Davide. Smirk. She waves the hand at him.

Davide jolts, noting his own awkward stare. "S-sorry..."

Alba nods. "You got most of it, yes. Assassins, murder, subterfuge, and indeed, we've done basic theft and a couple high stakes heists... and more." She falls quiet at the last part.

Annabelle grins widely at the baker as his staring is caught. “Hey, I take it as a compliment.” She looks over to Alba and blinks. “Go on.”

She takes a deep breath as she divulges. "Slavery...it would come to no surprise, considering. But specifically...human trafficking, especially vulnerable women and children to... shady services." She lowers her shoulders a little. "We were especially useful during the Second War. Mules, so to speak. They didn't care if we were harmed or even killed. We served a purpose as The Boss sees fit."

Annabelle tilts her head slightly, then looks down in thought, some small memory flitting across the edge of her mind. Perhaps that's why Dino acted the way he did when I told him about Baidin... She flits her gaze back to Alba. “I see.” Is all she says, not drawing it out further than necessary. “I don’t know much about The Boss.” I think a change in topic is needed.

Alba sighs, the fright returning to her eyes. "No one has ever seen the Boss' face...nor have they ever finally left him. Dr. Dino tried it...and he seemed successful for a time. I did the same. Now I fear being found out too. No one ever leaves the Boss."

Annabelle snorts softly. Light save us all, a new challenge for me to rise up to and protect people from. “...Sir Boss probably doesn’t expect me aiding you nutters.” Another smirk to brighten Alba up, though her eyes remain appropriately serious. The smirk fades. “Alright, so.” She pinches the bridge of her nose in thought. “You said you’re here for Dino’s house? Something’s in it?”

"I don't know what it is," Alba says. "He only told me he wishes to go back, but he won't say why. Dr. Dino...is not a materialistic man, nor is he one to possess items of symbolic importance. Not that I know of, at least. But...if my father was the one who released him...perhaps there is something in his home he's afraid they'll find. Then again...he fled the city without going home first. I'd like to see why."

“Alright. When’re we going? Or were you heading there ‘fore I sidetracked you?”

"That was it," she says with a nervous chuckle. "We were about to head there. Dino didn't give me his address, so I managed to pull it out from the city directory. Apparently, the guards already sacked his place, but they found nothing suspicious. There is probably something hidden there instead. Knowing Dini, it's likely hidden very well."

Annabelle smirks a bit as the pet name for the Doctor reaches her ears. “Well--sorry, for interrupting. S'pose it was for the best, though. Shall we head back out now, or wait a while here? Ah--speaking, of maps. I had a friend or two supply me with ones of the catacombs and sewers. In case things get heated, and...chase-like.”

She raises her brows at Annabelle, smiling. "Have you now? Hiding is my specialty! Let me see." She leans forward.

Mouse indeed...

Davide huffs. "You could just... blink."

Alba narrows her eyes at Davide. "I can't trust those abilities yet."

“...Oh, you’re a mage-in-training?” The smirk turns into a grin. She digs into her basket again, pulling up a flap in the bottom. A few folded squares of parchment are tugged from their home, then tossed them to Alba.

Alba spreads them out to examine them as she continues speaking. "Yes, I am! I began my studies as soon as I arrived in Dalaran some years back. The Red Glove is not made up of arcanists, but that may have changed by now. I wish to be prepared in case confrontation occurs, and I was never much of a fighter." She peers over the routes, her fingers trailing along them. "This is amazing..."

“Gypsies, right?” Annabelle snickers a bit at her last comment and lets her peruse. She gives a stretch while she does that.

"I never knew they'd be around here. Then again, isn't the Darkmoon Faire run by them? I forget." She motions to Davide to examine the maps with her, as if memorizing the routes.

“They tend to be everywhere and nowhere. I first met them in the Underbelly in Dalaran. And--no, not run. But, I’m sure they have some stake in it.”

"Hm... do you think they can help us? Maybe they can find my father for us..."

“S’possible.” She rubs the back of her head. “They don’t do things for free, though. Hard to say what they’ll ask of us. Could range from a few coin, to a head-trip that shows them your moral character.”

Davide blinks. "Maybe we don't need them after all..."

Annabelle flits her gaze over to Davide. “Do tell.

Davide answers. "Alba isn't completely pure herself. I wouldn't want to risk exposure to gypsies if it means possible harm to her."

“What, you think I’m pure? No one is.” She shakes her head. “The choices you make now matter to them. They’re always on the move, as are we all with our choices.” She shrugs. “But--...I doubt it’ll be that extravagant. The head trip was the price for their aid in assaulting the fortress of a slaver prince.”

Davide turns to Alba. "It's up to you, bemìo." Annabelle blinks at the pet name, the meaning lost on her.

Alba thinks. She huffs a little as she provides her answer. "Gypsies might draw unwanted attention to us. If we're going to snoop around, we need to keep our numbers small."

Annabelle he peers over at Alba and nods, accepting her decision.

"Where would this be? We were going to search...but if we look around aimlessly, it might catch a guard's attention." She lays down a note with Dino's address written down. The location on the map would show that he lives not far from a canal.

Annabelle smirks again. “And if it looks like we know what we’re doing, it might be worse.” She leans to peer at the note. “Might be worth to read your mail. I wouldn’t put code past you guys. Could be a clue in there.”

Alba nods. "I'll go see." She gets up.

Davide pushes off the wall he was leaning on, intent to follow her. "I'll go with you."

"Davide, it's just a mailbox. It's right next to the entrance. I'll be fine." She steps out by herself as her husband watches. He sighs then turns to look down at Annabelle.

Annabelle watches Alba depart, then flits her gaze up to Davide. “Right. How many times have people said ‘it’s just a...’ before something happens?”

Davide crosses his arms. "Too many to count. But at least she can blink."

Annabelle eyes him up and down. Perhaps pointedly on his long nose a moment, before she looks down again. “Ah--...sorry about this. Really.” She sighs. “...Didn’t mean t’scare her like that.”

Davide, thankfully, doesn't notice her brief staring. He shrugs, arms still crossed. "I was actually hoping it'd scare her off...but not enough, apparently. Too stubborn." He frowns. "I advised her not to come to Stormwind because the guards might question her. She has a bounty on her own head, though I don't know what regions it covers nor if by any chance a statute of limitations was placed."

Annabelle flits her gaze back up to him. She smirks. “Yeah, she’s not the only stubborn one.” She lifts her chin slightly in some pride, then lowers it to its usual position. “So--were you one of them? Or did you marry into the whole thing?”

"I'm sort of one of them. My father was indebted to The Red Glove, and I grew up not knowing this. I had cut my ties with my family by the time I met Alba, who was trying to run away."

Annabelle flits her gaze to the door, then back to him. “Mmh. My name’s Anna, by the way. Annabelle Greene.” She holds out her right hand for him to shake, mechanical left sitting in her lap, softly whirring now and then as she idly shifts it.

Davide nods as he shakes her hand firmly. "Pleased to meet you. So...Dr. Dino's friend, yes? How did you encounter him?"

Annabelle’s grip is firm, masculine, but very warm and friendly. She releases it and sets it back in her lap. “...I am, yes. I consider him one of my best. And I met him when he saved a town in on the coast of Tanaris.” She grins. Proud of her strange friend.

Davide blinks. "He... 'saved' a town?" He scratches his head, puzzled.

Annabelle chuckles softly and nods. She knew that introduction would confuse him, and enjoyed the reaction. “Developed a cure for a parasitic worm infection. Horrible nightmare of a situation; the things took over their victim’s minds and--...eh, too long of a story for here.” She eyes the door again, attentive and impatient for Alba’s return.

"That's just...huh. He's a killer, not a healer. From what I've known, his medical knowledge was mostly used to torture people for information, not cure them."

Annabelle nods slightly in understanding. “...I’m sure it was. And I’m sure that’s how you know him.” Davide stops as soon as Alba steps through the door with a pile of mail in her arms.

"Who are you talking about?" Alba asks as she nearly drops a letter or two.

"Dini saved a town, she says." He thumbs to Annabelle. Alba stares in confusion.

She shrugs, then peers over to Alba. “Yup!” She grins again, perhaps having a bit of fun confusing the two with this revelation.

At hearing her old friend is a now a hero, Alba beams as she lets the letters drop. "Did he?! Oh, do tell, do tell!" She sits on the bed with her legs crossed, her elbows resting on her knees and her head resting on her knuckles. She listens like a schoolgirl eager for gossip.

Davide chuckles at her posture. "Something about finding a cure for a town-wide infection. I know he's smart and all, but I didn't think he's the type to have any semblance of compassion besides helping the likes of you."

"I always knew he was a hero. He just needed the opportunity and freedom to be one." She smiles.

Watching Alba with bright amusement, the techno-priest assumes a similar position to she. For the next few minutes she recounts the story of the worm plague in Tanaris, hand gestures dramatic in their flair. Especially about the parts where Dino is concerned.

Alba's mouth was agape the whole time. She threw her arms in disbelief. "And he never -told- me this?! That bastard! I have to wring it out of him!" She laughs.

Davide smirks then strokes his chin as he thinks. "I remember the incident now...I read it on a newspaper when we were in Booty Bay. Though the doctor was never given an explicit name...maybe out of Dino's request because he would fear extradition. And yet...it's happening anyway. Someone must have blabbed his identity casually talking about it while here in Stormwind."

“Mmh--...we were watched the whole time, by the ones who made the plague. Though, no names were written down.” She peers over at Alba and laughs. “I told you, he’s modest. But, he really was our leader.” She snorts. “Better than that lascivious drunkard of a mayor.” She grumbles quietly to herself. “In my aunt’s pocket...”

"I beg your pardon?" Alba says as she tilts her head.

Annabelle blinks, then looks over to Alba, staring blankly. “Wh--...oh, nothing.” She shakes her head, then puts on her soft smirk. “I’m looking forward to seeing you strangle Dino for the story. Mmh--so, the letter?”

"Ah, yes!" She fishes her piles for the letter, then picks one up. She tears off the seal and pulls it out. She reads it silently herself first, then places it down onto the floor. She picks up another piece--advertisement flier, pah!--and turns it around. "Davide, a pen please?" Her husband then opens his coat and pulls out an ink pen from the inner pocket. As soon as her fingers wrap around the pen, she starts writing while keeping her eyes on the letter. The letter itself seems to be an innocent greeting, but it seems she's gotten a hidden message.

Davide scratches his head. "You gotta tell me how you manage to-"

Alba grins. "Nope! That's a secret between me and Dini." She chuckles as she keeps writing

Annabelle sighs a bit, relieved at the lack of prodding about her grumbling. She watches, and tilts her head. She lifts her chin slightly, proud at her guessing correctly as she mutters to herself. “So going to tease him about Dini...”

Alba finishes up. She grins. Davide sees this and looks at her writing and is unable to decipher it. It's all as good as Draenic to him. "...What is this?"

"I'm not telling."

"We're married now! You can't hide secrets from me!"

"If I explain, it'll take me forever. But...I'll try to be brief." She holds up the letter. "Yes...it's a warning that my father is here. He even described how we can distinguish him from other guards." She looks at her notes. " 'Very large compared to the others, with cracked pauldrons and a scruffy topknot. He's not very well kept.' My father is a very large man, six feet and five inches tall and far over two hundred pounds. We have to be on the lookout for a bear of a guard." She sighs.

“Yeah, he mentioned that. But, no clue about whatever it is he’s hiding?” She folds her arms, and frowns a bit. She sighs. “That reminds me-...I didn’t get to finish about why your father let him go. A condition: he wants the Doc back in the Red Glove.”

Alba lowers her eyes. "I have suspected that much. No one leaves the Boss. Papa was among his most loyal subordinates." She sighs. "This letter... well. It's not just a warning. It's an explanation. But I'm still not leaving Stormwind."

Annabelle peers over to Davide, then back to Alba. “...Guess now we need to figure out how to go about getting into this house.”

Alba snaps her fingers. "I can try to turn invisible!"

"No... no." Davide chastises with a skeptical tone. His wife frowns at him.

“...You know, night time is sort of convenient for this kind of thing. Right? And--Dino did give me a few toys of his. Mostly stuff for distraction.”

"I was hoping we could locate the home first before we break in. But... we will surely sneak in at night." She looks at Annabelle. "What has he given you?"

Annabelle stretches, grins that impish grin, then hops off the bed. Lifting up the skirt of her robe—to Davide's embarrassment, as he quickly averts his gaze—she reveals the gray pants underneath. Out of all the little folds and pockets and straps she pulls her gifts. Firecrackers, smoke bombs, tear gas pellets, noisemakers. A folded caltrop or two as well, for more persistent followers. She lists these off, counting them as she displays them. She blinks at Alba. “You have the address, though, yes?”

She nods. "I do, yes."

“Grand. I say we set off a little before the moon's zenith tonight.”

Light, cure my insanity someday...and protect my new friends as they try to find a better way in the world.
Spoiler:
[Image: We_make_sweet_things_together__by_ImagenAshyun.png]
((Art, and characters besides Annabelle belong to ImagenAyshun!))
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How the Serpent Lost His Legs ImagenAshyun 17 3,732 06-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Last Post: ImagenAshyun