The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The musing of two brothers...
Hello CotH community!

My brother Danuvis and I have recently joined and really like the atmosphere that this server has provided for us thus far. In fact we've even started a guild, The Varlet Sapphire, should check it out! (Had to get some free advertising in there, you know how it is.) Anyways, we have noticed something that we have seen on numerous Private Rp Servers in the past, and that is the, "Where is everyone?!" Question. I've noticed that there is basically unrestricted role-play, which isn't entirely bad per se, but it appears to be very uneventful in regards to the fact that there really is no IC conflict among the factions and everyone seems to just do their own private role-play or chill in the OOC cavern which is fine for some; but for my brother and I, not the case. We like action! Another thing I've noticed in my first week or so here that there are some popular hubs, Hearthglen, etc. but what about having a popular zone? Now this idea I am about to present may seem a little out there but bear with me and keep an open mind.

This is our 'rough draft', if you will, for our suggestion:

The War

Initiate some server-based lore that pits the Alliance and Horde against one another, the zone we would use to stage this war would be The Barrens, considering it's a horde-based server and that has been widely popular in the past.

Alliance Hubs:

Human/Dwarves/Gnomes would setup shop in Theramore Isle where they would be invading from the southeast.

Draenei/Night Elves would have there central hub in Ashenvale, invading from the north.

Horde Hubs:

The Crossroads would be the main central hub for the Horde role-play, this where all the races would gather on the Horde side.

Orcs - North where The Barrens enters Ashenvale to combat the Night Elf invasion.

Forsaken - directly adjacent to the Human/Dwarf/Gnome hub in Theramore Isle.

The Tauren/Trolls/Blood Elves would be dispersed among these two invasion points, as well as The Crossroads.

NOTE: This would not mean each race is restricted to the areas listed, Orcs to the north and Forsaken south, but that would just be the majority in that sector. The idea encourages interracial role-play among the two factions.

Roles within the War:

Leaders - With this idea, we would have various leaders of each race leading the offensive/defensive and this would give those an opportunity to have their time to shine and receive server-renowned recognition. We plan to have a leader for each offensive/defensive hub, and one for The Crossroads.

Diplomats - Emissaries that the opposing factions would send to one another for negotiations, surrender, etc.

Soliders - Explains itself.

Healers - Explains itself.

Scouts - Gathers intel, preforms espionage and infiltration.

This idea provides the ability to give just about every class a role within the server and provide them with interactive and diverse role-play. In addition it also gives those who do not wish to participate something to speculate about and discuss in the local Tavern's and such. Overall providing a server-wide event.

NOTE: By no means do we wish to make this a 'mandatory' event, that the War could be ignored by members of the Alliance/Horde that do not wish to partake, thus allowing the current system of unrestricted role-play that we already have. We've yet to devise a Neutral hub, perhaps you guys could help with that?

This is all just some fragmented thoughts that my brother and I shared, we are very open and want to hear what you guys think and or if this would even be possible!

Thanks for reading,

~Renegade
Shazbot! (I don't know what to say, but I must comment.)
Quote:the War could be ignored by members of the Alliance/Horde that do not wish to partake

This is why war events have never worked in the past. Having been personally responsible for helping run more than one of them, I know that all they do is make some people whine about x-faction RP and others simply ignore them altogether.

Quick edit: The policy against major lore alterations exists for a variety of reasons, and these kinds of events are one.
(03-02-2012, 05:24 PM)Kaghuros Wrote: This is why war events have never worked in the past.

Isn't supposed to be intended as an event, but more as a melting pot of where Horde vs. Alliance conflicts can arise, or secret alliances of the sort between certain individuals, or all sorts of things could happen. It's just really a place you go to other than OOC cavern to go and watch things unfold as they happen before you. /shrug I mean this server offers A LOT of places to RP. But wouldn't be nicer if the population was focused in one area?
The point I'm trying to make is that there have been wars. First we tried to let it happen and have people choose sides if they wanted, but nearly everyone picked "neutral" and flocked to Booty Bay. We've even had some major lore changes that tried to force people to be at each other's throats like the Alliance and Horde "ought to be." People chose to ignore it and RP how they wanted.

Ultimately, in the current lore, the Horde and Alliance are more or less at a stalemate. You can be as warlike as you feel like, but war on CotH is only as big as the group of people you can get to RP with you.
We've tried it before, we had a whole storyline called the Sin'sholai where we had factions pitted each other and a major part of that was a war in Arathi. While the idea is nice, and it could work, it'll also put a lot of strain on the organizers in regards to dealing with complaints of bias, keeping interest up and even get people involved to start. One thing you have to understand is that a lot of people enjoy their 'own thing' more overall than they do getting involved in a bigger picture like this. Which means that while initial response might be good, it'll peter out within a few days.

If you want action I'd suggest going for something smaller scale, try to start up a group and work with another group to get something going between you.

Edit: Pfft, Kagsanub.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Oh well, it was worth a shot. New to this server, so don't really know what didn't work in the past and knew what did.
Yeah that's no problem. I guess we were a bit harsh, both being bitter ex-GMs who tried to run wars xD The main point I guess is learn from our mistakes. People like being involved in a big story but it's very hard to keep a major plot running without some serious organization.
-- of course, none of this should prevent you with proceeding with some plot, especially since it appears that you already have someone with whom to share ideas and lead events. It's always awesome to see people step up, lead events/plots, and get people engaged.

I'd recommend starting smaller, at least until you either build up a name or reputation for yourselves on the server. Conquest of the Horde can be fickle when it comes to ideas (there's a distinct pattern of "Flavor of the Month" when it comes to ideas, guilds, plots, races, and so forth), but having done things in the past will garner more interest in the future -- especially for larger things, which people may be afraid to join because it might fall apart.

Formulate a small-scale plan. Expand on your guild. Roleplayers flock to where the roleplay is, so if you want to see something outside of designated areas, give people a reason to do so. With some effort, you guys can definitely make something work, even if it's only initially at a smaller scope.

Good luck to you two!
What is it you want out of the action? Do you like to RP as warriors on the front lines, do you like to roleplay fights or IC PVP in particular, do you want to see more faction conflict in your interaction with other characters, or what?

Tell us the elements that make up the RP experience you're looking for, and we can probably help you find it, even if its not the war you're envisioning.
It just seems that when I log on there's nothing going on other than things in Hearthglen. It would be enjoyable if an area in the World could be marked for war where it's horde vs. alliance things and conflicts arive at certain points. You, and a orc friend just walking along. See a human by the southern oasis, go in and check it out. Things unfold, it's an ambush!

Just a hostile zone that everyone is aware of would be awesome! It feels that no matter where I go there's a safety net of neutrality where I can't be harmed ICly.