The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Blood Is Thickest.
Nia was told not to do it, both by her best friend and by her cousin. She knew she wasn't supposed to be here, but she couldn't push it out of her mind anymore. If she couldn't protect anyone else, at least she could protect her cousin.

It was funny, in a way. Why would a Knight so devoted to the laws of her people want to protect such a black sheep? Nia knew Vyndus wasn't a wholesome person, he was far from it, but she still saw good in him. He was still family. She sighed as she slipped through the records office, one hand holding the lantern up, the other hand gripping the hilt of her sword tightly. She left her shield and the majority of her armor back home, not wanting to make a lot of noise. Nia wasn't even certain why she felt the need to bring her sword with her. Just in case?

Nia glowered at all of the cabinets and books filling the entire room. It was a good thing she mostly snuck in wearing civilian clothes; the bulky armor would have made walking around almost impossible without knocking things over. Finding Vyndus's records was going to be like finding a needle in a pile of other needles. With a sigh, she carefully set the lantern down on a pile of books and opened one drawer of a random cabinet. Might as well get started before sunrise came. It took her about two hours to find it, but she almost let out an "Aha!" of victory when she pulled one particular handful of papers out: the Sunstone family birth and death registrations. She sat down on her haunches and read through each page, chewing on the inside of her lower lip. Nia let out a sigh as she reached the record of birth and citizenship of Vyndus Sunstone, and stashed the rest of the family records back into the cabinet as carefully as she could. She stood up, then used the candle fire of the lantern to burn the paper in her hands. Within moments, Vyndus officially ceased to exist. Nia smiled, feeling satisfied with what she did, and reached out to grab the lantern. She didn't hear the door to the office open up minutes ago.

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?"

Nia froze in place and her eyes went wide as dinner plates. Fear gripped her heart, causing her breath to immediately become ragged. She abandoned her previous task of retrieving the lantern to slowly turn and face who caught her. It was the morning clerk. By the Sun, how long did she dawdle in there? Was he early? Was she simply late in escaping? In any case, she was staring down a very unamused Sin'Dorei male. "Again, I ask" he said with a stern tone, "who a--Knight Sustone, is that you?"

Nia took in a sharp breath. By the Sun, he recognized her. Of course he would recognize her. She visited the records office often as a Blood Knight to do investigations, and she had to stop by when she changed careers as a Spellbreaker. No, if he found out why she has here, she could be accused as protecting a possible criminal. That would tarnish her reputation, or worse, brand her a traitor. She may be executed for treason if enough of a spin was put on her actions. Fear turned to terror, which turned into panic. Before she realized what she was doing, the clerk was sliding off of her blade and landed on the floor with a desperate gurgling. Nia stared at her bloodied blade in fright. She just killed a man in cold blood. She just killed a man in cold blood. She just...

Nia barely had the sense to run off with her blade instead of drop it. She sheathed it as soon as she left the building and used the back alleys she knew during her days of patroling to slip unnoticed back into Del Delamore's office, where she stashed her armor. She bite her lowered lip until it bled. By the Sun, what could she do now? She was still in a panic, and paranoia began to seep into her mind. Surely someone might have seen her leave. She had to run away.

Three letters were written: one to her best friend, one to the girl she confessed her love to, and her cousin. She let out a sigh and donned her armor. After, Nia set out on her Hawkstrider to flee the city. She would pay someone she trusted to deliver two of the letters, leaving the one for Del in a spot of his office that only he would know was there.

Spoiler:
Del,

My dearest best friend, I have committed a very stupid mistake. I'm sure you will hear of what it might be soon. Please forgive me. I have to flee the city, and I may never be able to return. I just wanted to warn you, so you wouldn't be more worried than you normally would be of my disappearance. Please, Del, be happy in everything you do. That was all I wanted for you. I love you, brother.

Sincerely,
Nia Sunstone

Spoiler:
Dear Kelinesdea,

Oh my love, I am so sorry for this. I have commited a crime that I cannot stand to face. I only wanted to protect my cousin, but it quickly got out of control. I must flee the city, and I may never return. In order to protect you, it is best that you do not find me. It would pain me to see you hurt. I hope that one day you can forgive me.

Love,
Nia

Curiously, along with the third letter is a small package with a very ornate ring. Engraved on the inside of the ring is the following passage in Thalassian: "To my dear cousin, Vyndus. Blood is thickest. With love, Nia."

Spoiler:
Vyndus,

My cousin, I have possibly committed a very grave mistake. I managed to wipe away your birth and citizenship records. Officially, you do not exist to Silvermoon or its people. I know you tried to convince me not to do it after asking me such a task, but with what I had heard I felt I had to protect what little family I had left. I do not regret burning your records, but I regretfully had to kill a man that caught me inside the office. I panicked, and ran away after spilling that poor man's blood. I don't think I can ever return to Silvermoon.

I meant to give you this ring personally as a belated wedding gift, but I fear associating anyone with my murderous self after the work I did to wipe you clean. I will, for the time being, hide away somewhere. I am not sure when, or if, I'll return. Vyndus, I wish nothing but happiness for you. So, please, be happy.

Sincerely,
Nia Sunstone

Nia Sunstone fled through Eversong toward the Ghostlands, and through there into the Plaguelands. She disappeared after that.
Characters
------------
Spoiler:
Mika Mistwalker
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." ~James Baldwin

Miruka Moonshroud
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye." ~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Belaria Arrowthorn
"Few love to hear the sins they love to act." ~William Shakespeare

Sylir Manasworn
"Everything is perfect in the universe, even your desire to improve it." ~Wayne Dyer

Nana'li Flametongue
"There is only one passion, the passion for happiness." ~Denis Diderot

Calanon Sunfeather
"Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor." ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Amabael of the Frozen Wind
"Curiosity is, in great and generous minds, the first passion and the last." ~Samuel Johnson

Nia Sunstone
"Duty cannot exist without faith." ~Benjamin Disraeli

Arilyn Shadewhisper
"Absolute silence leads to sadness. It is the image of death." ~Jean Jacques Rousseau

Gwyneira Porter
"Death is the veil which those who live call life; They sleep, and it is lifted." ~Percy Bysshe Shelley

Ishani
"Peace if possible, but truth at any rate." ~Martin Luther

Azure Palenix
"I carry from my mother's womb a fanatic's heart." ~William Butler Yeats