The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Enruned Fists
Since most of my adventures seem to happen when only a few people, or no people, are around, I thought I'd keep a record of them... then, I figured, 'hey, why not make them into short stories?' So, I did. The writing style will probably change with each story. Please don't post in this thread.

---

Tempered steel with jagged spikes, firmly fit on t' two plain fists. Ya know, this kin'a thing shouldn't be all that scary. At best, a spiked gauntlet could break your skin and give you some nasty bruises. Maybe on some big, burly guy, you could do some real damage, but... When a guy comes running at you barring nothing but his fists, and you're standing some ninety feet away with an arrow on your bow and his head in your sights, and he doesn't have single piece'a armor on, you tend to want to chuckle a little. Of course, I never expected the guy to see me first. Actually, I think he saw all of us first, cause he disappeared in'a the forest before we could react. I figured he was runnin' away or somethin'.

Two seconds in and I heard Orrel cry out in pain, like he got shanked. Did he have another weapon? Daegen moved down the open road. I guess he figured the ambush was ruined. Granted, he was the only one with short swords, so I guess it figures. I moved to my right- there he was, the fuckin' elf. His body was glowin' with these strange marks. I don't even know. Whatever, anyone walking around without weapons or armor through this neck'a Elwynn must be some kin'a dumbass. No one was going to miss a night elf, anyway.

I let my arrow fly, and my bow gave it a little extra kick. Composite bows, got'a love 'em. That ought'a put him in his place. Wait... What the f**k?

Did it just snap? Hell, it did, the arrowhead snapped off. He's bleeding, but there's nothing on him. Better aim for the head next time. Bill took the next shot, but his arrow just glanced off the edge of his shoulder. Made a deep cut, but it was just a cut.

Ten seconds, now. The elf kept moving. He touched his chest for a moment and there was this light, and- Oh, you're kidding me, he's not hurt? He's in front'a Bill now. "Bill, kick him!" I said, but it's no good, the bastard's too fast. Bill's kick doesn't make it. Oh shit, Bill's got the jitters.

Oh, what luck, Daegan's chargin' behind the elf. Good man, he won't be able to- oh, hell. That's the first time I've seen someone parry a sword with a palm.

There, arrow's ready, let's see him dodge this. C'mon, come- f**k. There goes my chance. Looks like Bill's gonna run. C'mon, Bill, come on- holy crap! What the hell! What the hell, he just punched through Bill! Oh, Light. Oh, Light, we need to get out of here. "Daegen, get away from him!"

"Shut up! He killed Bill! You killed Orrel, too, you son of a b-.. B..."

"Daegen?" He just.. stopped movin'... "Daegen, don't die, get out'a there!" What the hell am I yelling for? Daeg's guts are spilling... this is hopeless. I didn't even notice myself firing another arrow. Did it hit? It did hit... grazed him. Lightly.

Now, he's standing infron'a me. Forget it. We were outclassed from the beginnin'. Droppin' my bow and holdin' up my arms is the only card I got left, now. "I surrender..."

"This is the first time I met a Defias who knew how to surrender."

"...First time I've seen a guy punch a hole through another guy." Guess he found that funny. He's chucklin' at me.

"Don't worry. They're all alive. Horribly bruised, but alive. The holes you saw were a trick of the dark." Trick, he says. And now he's windin' his fist back... lights out for me, I guess.

"Ya mind if I ask just what the hell you are?"

He just stopped there, watchin' me like some kin'a blue-eyed owl. Freaky.

"...Runemaster. I am a runemaster."

"Huh. Ya don't s-" Oh.. f**k... can't..breathe. Feels... like a... cannon...

That's the last of them. Let's take a look...

Four more bounties and a few choice items. A little spare change as well? The bows will sell quite well. They were a little more organized than the last pair. Gave me quite a scare with those arrows. Had they hit anything more vital, a simple mark of healing may not have been enough...

Hm. I oft wonder if it is right for me to meddle in the affairs of humans like this. Afterall, the qualm between these rebels and the king is no business of mine. I suppose this isn't the first time, but still, the question remains unanswered. Though... it would not matter where I go; I'll be forced to throw a punch somewhere along the way. We're just like animals. Wild beasts, hunting each other when we grow hungry. The easiest prey comes first.

But these humans are just common thieves. Though they be considered scum, even the Defias know of pity and mercy, at least to their own kind. Aside from their lawlessness, what evils have these thieves committed beyond being caught by desperation? To be driven into desperation is just as much of an evil... I have to wonder what could have been taken from them to harden their hearts in such a way. Maybe I'll look into their story when I visit again. For now, I'll just be grateful to have my runes. The life of an ascetic... It's more of a blessing than I first thought it to be.

Right. Time to visit the good Marshal.