The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Unrolled! RP Combat For Storytellers
One of the most rewarding RP experiences is the fight. Whether it is the culmination of an ongoing conflict or simply a show of gladiatorial excellence, there is a long and hallowed tradition in telling the tales of battle that is directly related to epic heroism and villainy. We even make drawings and paintings of the figure braving incoming arrows, spears, swords, and axes as he tears through the front lines of the enemy. LOK'TAR OGAR!

However, in the roleplaying environment, telling the tale of combat is the equivalent to two authors writing the same book at the same time, both sides desiring to tell the tale of their protagonist raising their flag triumphantly. So in a world of warcraft, how can two authors get a story out of a battle that furthers both in a positive way? Allow me to be your guide and teach you what you need to know about RP fighting!

Making Your Character Trust Fight Ready

The most important thing to remember about preparing your own character for trust fight readiness is limitation. WoW offers character classes that have tons of abilities and talents, so it can either become overwhelming, or too tempting to say your character can do it all. The question becomes, "If it says my class can do it, then shouldn't I be able to do it?" This is where things get tricky, and you have to realize that inevitably, all fighters have some kind of specialization. That's why I follow what I will call the Simple Six Rule!

What the heck is a Simple Five Rule?

The Simple Five Rule was named by peeking at the abilities of well-known NPCs on wowhead.com, and established long ago when I started RPing. Two NPCs caught my eye: Rexxar and Jaina Proudmoore. Rexxar, being an epic beastmaster, and Jaina, being a powerful mage, are perfect to examine just how many abilities your character should have a rotation of. Both have a total of five special abilities. And most NPCs don't go beyond those numbers. Lets take a look at Rexxar first, a melee fighter. His five abilities are:
  • Cleave - Inflicts 110% of normal melee damage to an enemy and its nearest allies, affecting up to 3 targets.
  • Knockaway - Inflicts weapon damage to an enemy and knocks it back.
  • Puncture - Inflicts Physical damage to an enemy every 2 sec. for 10 sec.
  • Sundering Cleave - Hacks at the armor of an enemy and its nearby allies, affecting up to 3 targets. A target's armor is reduced per Sunder Armor. Can be applied up to 5 times. Lasts 30 sec.
  • Thrash - Gives the caster 2 extra attacks.

As a beastmaster, an unlisted power would be having a pet that can attack, but even so this list is surprisingly...well...tame for someone considered one of the Horde's biggest champions. OOCly, most of these are things that even lower level players have access to. And that's the point. When choosing your Simple Five, you aren't just taking the low-level abilities for granted. In fact, I'd say at least 3/5 (preferably 4) of the abilities you choose should be lower-level skills (level 20 and below). ICly, you can see it as these are abilities that require little of your focus and energy, making them the attacks you would commonly use. The one or two major attacks would be for getting towards the end of the fight, and you need to put down your opponent once and for all.

Let's look at Jaina next, largely considered one of the more powerful living mages. Her five abilities are:
  • Blizzard - Calls down a blizzard that lasts 10 sec., inflicting 14250 to 15750 Frost damage every 2 sec. to all enemies in a selected area.
  • Fire Blast - Inflicts 8550 to 10450 Fire damage to an enemy.
  • Fireball - Inflicts 11390 to 15410 Fire damage to an enemy.
  • Summon Water Elementals - Summons 3 powerful water elementals to aid the caster.
  • Teleport - Teleports an enemy above Theramore Harbor.

Again, most of it is stuff you learn very early on. Seeing this apply for both a melee fighter as well as a mage, you can see how if lore characters don't have an abilities list full of epic abilities, then neither should your own character. It makes the fights more interesting when both players aren't firing off kill shots as well, and allows you to build to an epic conclusion that you can both be proud of.

Picking Fights

Trust fights begin with the conflict. Sometimes, it can start from the desire of the hero to overcome a villain who has become a thorn in his/her side. Sometimes it originates from the gladiatorial arena, where two combatants duke it out for honor and respect, and possibly freedom. Most of the time, it starts with, "Aww snap! He done spilled ale on my fancy shirt! I'M MAD, BRO!" However it begins, it all leads to two common questions: Why are we doing this? And what are we both trying to get out of this?

The first question is the easiest. You are fighting because one or both sides have something to gain from victory, whether it's putting an end to a reign of tyranny or impressing that hot chick/dude across the room. We are all aware that starting a fight takes very little in the real world, so in RP the possibilities are just as limitless.

The second question, however, is the most important, and when it isn't asked, it leads to stubborness over the outcome, and one side trying to impose their agenda on another. It also leads to massive powergaming and ignoring the Simple Five rule, as the characters will pull out every ultimate move in their class' book (and even some invented ones) to be the victor. So right around the same time as most people would offer a character warning, this question should come up.

Before I continue, a brief word about character death. As has been mentioned many times, death should never be imposed on anyone, and while it may help further a character's story once in a while, it is still up to the player whether or not they wish to die.

So, back to the question at hand! The answer to what you are trying to get out of the fight should never be victory, because at the jump you are putting yourself in the position to overpower the other player at any cost, and it will make it harder to come to a sensible and positive end to the fight. What you are trying to take from the fight should be something that win, lose, or draw is obtainable.

Let's take the "impress the girl" scenario. Pretty girl sitting at the bar, and you want to look like a tough guy. So you pick a fight with the biggest, meanest looking guy you can find! Question: What are you both trying to get out of this? For you, it is to look tough in front of the girl. For the guy you are fighting, it is to continue to look tough in front of everyone else, and for them to decide you are not suddenly a target to be fought/robbed all the time. You both have clear goals in this, which leads to the next step: looking at your character!

Option A: It turns out my character is comically inept at fighting, compared to the guy I picked a fight with who is a multiple war veteran. Personally, I think it is pretty clear that this guy is better than me, and I offer to lose the fight, with the chance that while I may not get to hurt him, I can take a few hits like a champ, and my fortitude may gain sympathy from the lass who has my heart. We agree to either get me knocked out cold, or that the big guy feels sorry for me and just stops pummeling my nearly-toothless visage.

Option B: It turns out his character is like the cowardly lion from the Wizard of Oz. Whether my character is strong or weak, all it takes is one hit and he acts frail. "OH NO NOT IN THE FACE!" The big guy dislikes how he has been called out, putting him on a mission to toughen up, which my character might even help him with, as I may be seeking the same.

Option C: The fight causes chaos, my char decides that maybe this wasn't such a great idea, and escapes to fight another day in the ensuing debacle.

There are many more options, but as you can see, the story can be interesting no matter if you win or lose. The fight should always help tell a story.

A Sample!

This is the fight I consider the best I've ever had in all my 3+ years RPing. It had a buildup, and it's execution natural and flowing.

Spoiler:
A masked diaboli recently killed Nixe, and Jonoth was tasked with dealing with the matter. He runs into her at the tavern .

(22:56:42) Jonoth peers out of the corner of his eye at the masked diaboli as he orders a drink
(22:57:19) Vayl's head turns slightly at the movement to her side.
(23:05:23) Jonoth continues to eye the diaboli as he takes a seat
(23:05:52) Vayl glances over her shoulder at Jonoth, fingers tapping on the counter lightly.
(23:06:15) Jonoth sips his ale and looks down into his mug
(23:06:37) Vayl looks away, turning around to go down towards the basement.
(23:11:12) Vayl pulls a pouch out, looking into it curiously.

Goes upstairs and puts on his cloak

(23:12:47) Vayl slips the tip of a vial out, staring down into it as she shakes its contents slightly.
(23:14:05) Jonoth tells Vayl in a gravelly tone "Your days are numbered diaboli"
(23:14:34) Vayl's attention turns to the cloak figure, eyes seeming shocked for an instant before regaining their calm stare "Isn't everyones.."
(23:16:25) Jonoth adds "But some shorter than others"
(23:16:56) Vayl smiles in a charming manner "So it'd seem.. are you afraid you may be one of them?"
(23:18:10) Jonoth says: No...i am death...think of me as Dakkru...and when i come for you you will not see me. enjoy what little time you have
(23:19:14) Vayl nods once, tucking the pouch away "What've I done to be 'honored' with such an introduction..?"
(23:20:28) Jonoth replies simply "Eye for an eye"
(23:21:10) Vayl slowly stands from her seat, adjusting her mask as she peers to Jonoth "..I've done nothing wrong.. "
(23:21:47) Jonoth says: Blood stains the streets...and it begs for vengeance
(23:22:36) Vayl looks off to her side, sighing "Must everyone approach me with nothing good to say..?"
(23:24:40) Jonoth stares back "Oh but I do have good news....it will be over very quickly"
(23:25:51) Vayl shakes her head slowly, short on words as adjusts her mask at the slightest.
(23:27:08) Jonoth bows and says as he exits "Don't look for me dear...i shall find you"
(23:27:55) Vayl brushes her bangs back, sighing as she looks around.

Vayl leaves the tavern, with Jonoth silently stalking her

(23:32:07) Jonoth sneaks up behind Vayl and attempts to slit her throat with a dagger
(23:33:39) Vayl's eyes widen, hearing the pitter-patter of feet behind her as she goes to spin around, the dagger striking her shoulder as she yelps in shock, stumbling towards the ledge as she's caught off balance.
(23:35:31) Vayl's arms flail, her dress shuddering as she falls back after loosing her footing to the roof below.
(23:35:47) Jonoth pulls out a second dagger and follows Vayl
(23:36:38) Jonoth tries to force one dagger into Vayls face and the other into her chest
(23:38:52) Vayl tries to slide under Jonoth and grab his ankles to pull him off balance as the daggers miss their target
(23:39:19) Jonoth misses Vayl as his daggers slam into the roof
(23:40:38) Vayl staggers to her feet, walking along the tiled roofing unsteadily as she whips around to face her attacker, hair and dress flowing with her movements.
(23:41:45) Jonoth pulls his daggers out of the roof and lets off a muffled growl as he rushes Vayl
(23:42:15) Vayl slides her hook-end ruby adorned daggers out, readying herself for his attack.
(23:44:15) Jonoth jumps at Vayl's head, attempting to slash her throat with one hand while blocking his face with the other
(23:45:38) Vayl's head instinctively pulls back as her oposing dagger hand shifts to parry with his right, her knee attempting to make a swift blow to his groin.
(23:46:32) Jonoth flies past Vayl after getting hit in the groin. He groans and holds it with a hand as he lands
(23:47:23) Vayl spins around, taking her right hand dagger with her left so her hand's free as she tries to cast a weakness magic towards him.
(23:48:22) Jonoth throws a dagger at Vayl's casting hand, hoping to hit the target or at least slow the spell
(23:49:29) Vayl's casting haults as she swings her duel-dagger wielding hand over to knock the dagger to the rooftop. trying to recast.
(23:50:29) Jonoth lunges at Vayl's legs attempting to put his remaining dagger in her thigh
(23:52:39) Vayl makes a slight paniced noise, eyes following the movement as his dagger as she tries swinging hers at his body, not moving in time as the dagger strikes her knee causing her to fall forward into Jonoth.
(23:54:32) Jonoth yelps muffled as Vayl's dagger penetrates his back near his shoulder. He pulls out a short sword and attempts to drive it into her stomach
(23:55:52) Vayl winces at the dagger's stabbing, releasing the one in his back as she notices the sword, a burst of spiraling flames roaring around her as she tries to repel him before the sword makes contact.
(23:58:34) Jonoth falls back as he releases the dagger in her leg. his cloak is burned in some places reavealing small amounts of fur
(23:59:17) Vayl takes in sharp breathes, her oxygen obviously being burned away as she ceases the flames, staring at the patches of fur for a moment.
(00:00:52) Jonoth takes the opportunity to draw another sword and charge Vayl...making a scissoring motion as he aims for Vayl's head
(00:01:51) Vayl scowls, stumbling back unsteadily along the tiles, trying to keep from falling as she looks about for her daggers.
(00:04:40) Jonoth reaches his target and attempts to cut her throat
(00:07:54) Vayl winces as she quickly pulls the dagger from her leg while diving down into a roll to evade the sword as she ends up losing control and log rolling towards the end of the roof, trying to grab for something.
(00:10:38) Jonoth rebounds and dives at Vayl, swords pointed down in a stabbing motion at her shoulders
(00:13:02) Vayl's eyes widen, still rolling down the rooftop as one of his swords pound down into the tiles that stops her from falling off the roof, the other landing down just behind her back as she lets out an unsteady breath, muttering faintly "Damnit.."
(00:14:59) Jonoth pulls the second sword out and attempts to bring it down on Vayl's face
(00:15:45) Vayl's fears begin to show, eyes widen as the sword comes down on her "No!"
(00:18:43) Jonoth drives the sword into Vayl's mask and tries to put it through her head
(00:22:30) Vayl's eyes show shock before shutting tight as her mask is struck, cracking down the middle before shattering and revealing her face, the shadows around her body writhing about.
(00:23:34) Jonoth mutters in a suprised but muffled tone "Vayl?"
(00:25:03) Vayl's body tenses a few times, face twitching as she seems in pain, fighting against her own movements.
(00:25:46) Jonoth attempts to regain composure and drive his sword though her chest
(00:28:58) Vayl's eyes open slightly, staring up at the cloaked figure in despair as the shadows around her seem to thicken and rise to try and consume Jonoth into suffocation.
(00:31:23) Jonoth starts to suffocate, falling back and dropping his swords and watching them fall off the roof as he tries to breath. He turns his back to Vayl and reveals the dagger still stuck in his back
(00:33:11) Vayl's eyes slowly dim to a darker colour than her regular orange. She groans as her hands raise to her head, seemingly throbbing as the shadows swirl around the Enki's body, continuing at their task as a larger one sweeps over her body, seemingly absorbing physical energy from her body.
(00:35:59) Jonoth attempts to use crystal energy to drive away the shadows, though his magics are not strong
(00:37:52) Vayl's dark void-filled eyes widen as the crystal energy causes the shadows to ripple and fade off in thin air as the larger one overtop of her spins around wildly in its darkly growth, trying to sink itself down into Vayl
(00:39:54) Jonoth casts a burst of crstal energy on Vayl as he falls to the ground severely weakened
(00:42:22) Vayl's head falls off to the side, eyes barely open as the dark shadow hovering above her ripples due to the burst of crystal magic and mists off into the air around them.
(00:46:16) Jonoth catches Vayl before she falls. He pulls the dagger out of his back and holds it up, asking Vayl in his gravelly voice "Why did you kill Nixe?"
(00:49:03) Vayl blinks a couple of times, eyes slowly regaining their colour as she replies in a slightly baffled and quiet tone "I..didn't..though."
(00:50:23) Jonoth sounds more aggressive "DON'T LIE TO ME! I DON'T SEE ANY OTHER MASKED DIABOLI WALKIN AROUND SO WHY'D YOU DO IT? DID YOU JUST HAVE TO FINISH THE JOB?"
(00:51:31) Vayl seems slightly shocked, releasing the dagger she'd pulled from her leg and letting it slide off the roof "She...I didn't...- Died.?"
(00:53:03) Jonoth is furious "Yes! She was killed by you. I guess dying once wasnt enough of a hint. You killed her and now its time to send you to the death realm again"
(00:54:06) Vayl overcomes a slight heavy feeling in her chest "..It wasn't intended to kill...her.."
(00:55:59) Jonoth in a rage brings the dagger down toward Vayl's chest
(00:57:15) Vayl instinctively brings her hands up to grab the hilt of her dagger with one hand, and Jonoth's wrist with the other to squeeze it. A foot swings up to try and kick the back of Jonoth's knee as she watches the blade come down with slight fear.
(00:58:30) Jonoth tries with all his upperbody strength to drive the dagger through Vayl's heart
(00:59:27) Vayl's muscles strain, trying to rip the dagger from Jonoth and pull him off balance as the dagger drives closer to her chest, trying to bring her head forth to sink her horns into his hand
(01:01:34) Jonoth yelps in pain as the horns sink in, though Jonoth continues to push the dagger downward
(01:04:43) Vayl's eyes begin to flood with tears, not wanting to be pierced again as she brings up a quick burst of flames, keeping tight hold of the dagger in Jonoth's hands as it closes the gap
(01:07:45) Jonoth pushes stronger as the flames burn away at his cloak, revealing his angry yet saddened face
(01:08:54) Vayl's eyes widen, the flames quickly disinigrating as the dagger pierces her stomach, though missing any vitals as she lets out a sharp exhale "Ka-ah!.." Staring up at Jonoth in disbelief.
(01:10:28) Jonoth mutters with a sad face "I'm sorry" as he tries to pull the dagger downward and cut Vayl wide open
(01:14:29) Vayl's voice comes out faintly "Jono..-" voice trailing off as her hand pulls up to grab Jonoth's hand to prevent him from cutting her open, wincing in great pain.
(01:15:25) Jonoth attempts to headbutt Vayl to knock her out as he pulls the dagger down
(01:17:23) Vayl takes the hit, most of the impact taken away through her horns against his head as she scowls, trying with all her strength to pull the dagger from Jonoth's grasp and out of herself
(01:21:02) Jonoth twists the dagger while it is inside of Vayl
(01:22:15) Vayl's curls up slightly as the dagger's twisted, giving off a silent scream.
(01:24:29) Jonoth pulls off Vay'l snake tooth necklace and whispers "Go to sleep Vayl"
(01:26:38) Vayl's eyes close slowly, tears flowing down her face as her breathes are short, a hand over the dagger in her.
(01:27:39) Jonoth stands up...tears falling from his face as he stares at his friend
(01:28:15) Vayl's breathing slows as she falls unconscious, limbs going limp as she slowly slide down the roof.
(01:28:53) Jonoth climbs down and collects his weapons
(01:29:28) Vayl's body hits the ground
(01:29:48) Jonoth looks one last time before walking away
Excellent guide, Jonoth!

I'm a huge fan of what this server calls "trust" combat, though I cannot tell you exactly why. I think that it may be related to what you have outlined in this guide: the goal is to weave a story with another individual that is mutually beneficial and enjoyable. I often feel that roll-based combat is the result of some sort of competition, though I can understand that it also helps provide a measure of randomness into the roleplay that may help makes things fair -- or prevent someone from being too powerful in combat.

I just prefer combat that is entirely reliant on rolls to remain in PvE scenarios rather than PvP. Personal preference, of course!

Regarding rolls, you can incorporate it into your roleplay in unexpected ways and that can really make roleplay enjoyable by leaving certain aspects of the conflict to chance. One of my characters was recently in direct conflict with another player's character. Enough so that personal harm was possible to the other character. We roleplayed the exchange and were having a blast when the other person utilized an ability that would effectively end combat. He asked me if it would work; I said, "Hell, I don't know! Let's let RNG decide!" We set up three possible scenarios (pass, neutral, and fail) on a 1-100 scale and let fate decide what happened.

Needless to say, the character failed horribly, allowing for further antagonism to occur and what was -- at least to me! -- a thoroughly enjoyable exchange. When the character made another attempt to pacify my character, we used a similar system (with less likelihood of passing) and continued when the player somehow managed to meet those requirements.

Mind you, all involved parties were open to what was happening. And I think that that made it even more awesome; we were working together, we were having fun, and we had little concern that one person or another was going one-up the other or fail to let any character shine.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Avast Ye Scurvy Dogs! Combat On The High Seas Jonoth 6 1,650 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Kage
  Boat combat system. FlyingSquirrel 0 1,008 09-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Last Post: FlyingSquirrel
  Mass Combat Idea! requiem225 7 1,740 07-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Aphetoros's Combat System Aphetoros 0 614 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Character Comparisons- Combat Proficiency ImagenAshyun 18 3,646 08-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Last Post: rodentjoe