The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

To rez or not to rez...
As those of you not taking part in Kidnapped may not know, my character Lance was killed yesterday during the event. He refused an order as a prisoner and was tossed from a height by one of the more violent guards. Many bones were broken, including ribs which punctured his lungs. Unfortunately, in the midst of everything that was going on, he did not receive healing. After being placed back in the prison cell, he manage to drag himself out of sight and expired from shock and respiratory distress.

The choice was mine alone to kill him. I -probably- should have discussed it with Sol, but we all accepted it was a dangerous situation going in. (Always enjoyed baiting Voragh, even when it got my guy a slug to the face.)

So... he's dead now, and I just don't know what to do with him. He doesn't have any friends or family anymore and never seems to fit in anywhere he goes, but he's my baby and I feel like I failed him somehow. I kind of feel like I should let him go, because he belongs in a world that doesn't exist for him anymore, but then all his history, many months of character growth, just dies with him.

Not sure what to do. I intended for him to permadeath since I've been so unhappy with him lately, but it's proving harder to let go than it probably should be.

I don't really know what to do.
[Image: large.png?1309884332]
When home is far behind and ever the long roads wind,
I keep your memory in my mind; one day I'll repay in kind.
For so long as I've gone and so far I've wandered,
The evening star to me you are.

Lancelet Ardanos - Treading the never-ending road
Domaris Dawnstriker (Firebrand) - Conflicted Quel'dorei-at-heart
Your call sonny, in my opinion, some characters lose their "value" when they resurrect.

If you feel as if your character death felt like a massive pile of dung than resurrect him and give him the appropriate flaws. Letting go of Lancelet or not, it's your decision. You never know, maybe his new flaws could attract some RP between him and others. Damn, the fact you got your char killed is pretty ballsy of you though.

Do what makes you sleep at night is the best I can say.
(04-09-2012, 09:28 PM)Cassius Wrote: Your call sonny, in my opinion, some characters lose their "value" when they resurrect.

If you feel as if your character death felt like a massive pile of dung than resurrect him and give him the appropriate flaws. Letting go of Lancelet or not, it's your decision. You never know, maybe his new flaws could attract some RP between him and others. Damn, the fact you got your char killed is pretty ballsy of you though.

Do what makes you sleep at night is the best I can say.

I had an epiphany a long time ago that my characters would never really grow if I coddled them for my own peace of mind. Some of the most memorable events in my characters' lives have happened when I simply let the cards fall as they may.

Sometimes it ends up being great, and other times, not so much.

I know this is my decision, of course, but community input definitely helps.

Guess this is what the week of waiting is for...

Perma is perma. If you're not 100% sure, leave the door open for yourself.

/twocents
CRISTOBRO NEEDS HIS LANCEBRO.

Seriously I like Lance. He stands out among the crowd of BE paladins, both in personality, demeanor, behavior, philosophy, and actions. I'd hate to lose him.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I don't really have much experience with character death. In all my time on CotH, I only lost my troll shaman. Twice. The second time I was just looking for a reason to retire her anyway.

I'd suggest bringing him back. You seem pretty attached to him, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd bring all of my characters back if they happened to die. Do I go looking for death? Not really, but I've yet to turn down a Character Warning. If I did, I'd feel it would cheapen the RP overall.

Spoiler:
"CW? lolnobro kthxbai <3"
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.
I'm thinking if he comes back, he needs a new purpose or mission. The goal in life he has right now (discovering the whereabouts of his wife who disappeared in the Scourge invasion) will never be fulfilled, not unless I play the part myself, and it's not really much fun to RP alone.

Then again, his life's mission makes the character who he is. Would he have a reason to exist in RP without it?

I painted him into the corner quite skilfully. *laugh*

Back to work.

Bring him back if

A) you enjoy playing him

B) feel he can still add something to a storyline/character

Since you feel unsure it might be best to just let him be for a while, try some other characters out and come back him if you feel that'd be the best choice.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

(04-10-2012, 07:56 AM)Lancelet Wrote: (discovering the whereabouts of his wife who disappeared in the Scourge invasion) will never be fulfilled, not unless I play the part myself, and it's not really much fun to RP alone.
*Brow lowers*

Regardless, as others have said, bring him back if it's plausible and if you enjoy him.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I'm in the "if you die, you stay dead" school of thought.

If you were unhappy with him, and killed him, perhaps it's time to start fresh? That can be very freeing creatively.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
You will more than likely miss him in time. I always make sure my characters can't permadie just in case.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
First, I applaud you for killing him instead of shrugging off the injuries done to him, though I slightly feel bad for not being more attentive to possibly save him on my priest.

Second of all, I'd say res him. For one, the experience on top of the effects of death can add an interesting twist to a character that can allow him to fit in to different situations better than before. If you play your cards right, you can take the time to morph anything out of him that you might not have liked before in order to help right the character in a direction you want him to go. Character death doesn't always have to be 100% bad for the character after all. Some drawbacks can end up beneficial in the sense that it can help steer the character in a new direction you OOCly want them to go but have no IC spinoff. [On top of the res drawbacks, that is.]

TL;DR: Res him, mold him into something more enjoyable for him, have fun in a week!
I tend to look at things and think about the roleplay potential that could come out of them. Having died changes people, often in ways that are not expected. Having had my own near-death experiences (twice!), I can say that it has lasting impression and can change perceptions, goals, attitudes, realizations, and so forth. I think that roleplaying a character after his death can make for new and interesting character dynamics and allow you to further explore how the character behaves.

And, as already noted, if you're uncertain you can bring him back. Final death is permanent; if you find that you do not like playing the character after a resurrection, there is nothing to prevent you from sending him out on a journey for a period of time (or eternity) and focusing on a new character.
(04-10-2012, 08:54 AM)Reigen Wrote: [color=#FFBFFF]First, I applaud you for killing him instead of shrugging off the injuries done to him, though I slightly feel bad for not being more attentive to possibly save him on my priest.

Don't feel bad about it. There was so much going on. Like I said, it was pretty much my idea. I could have stopped it if I wanted!

I'm kind of catching on to the idea of winnowing out some of the parts of his character I'm not fond of. It will require a lot of thought though...

My personal opinion on ressurection... DON'T.
It's something that belittles death and danger and should only if ever be used in rare occasions. Since you really are not sure, then don't ress him. That doesn't mean he is permadead and can be raised later on.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]