The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Belief, Instinct, Goals, Traits
So I was reading a wonderful Tabletop RPG book recently, perhaps you've heard of it. Well, it's a little gem called Mouse Guard, and I have to say it's one of the most roleplay-centric RPGs I've ever read. It's character driven rather than level driven. And due to the characters your players make, the same scenario can end up happening wildly differently than another group's adventure.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScM847uHX4OC1lyoCuLDN...15SfJQlXbg]

Regardless. Enough gushing.

Four things were brought up in this book that really called out to me as a roleplayer. The things in the title of this thread. Thus, I'll simply attempt to convert them to work in CotH's setting, and maybe they'll help you guys out with making characters. All credit to Mouse Guard for this.

Belief

Quite simply, your belief is what your characters believes in. It should be simple, something that can be applied to various situations. And when your character is in a situation where he or she must take action, have the person fall back on a belief! Here's some examples.

The solution can often be found at the tip of a blade!
This simple belief adds so much character to situations. It commands the character in a lot of them too. The character is prone to relying on brute force, threats, duels, or simply killing people, rather than straight negotiation. He feels confident with his blade. This would also make some awkward situations, as the character would likely draw his sword in an improper situation, like when a bar brawl is about to happen! A flaw!

Only a fool doesn't consider his actions.
This gives me reason to believe that the character is a ponderer, someone who contemplates almost every major decision he or she makes. It gives me the impression that the character is educated, though it could just as easily apply to anyone else. It also gives me the impression that the character would be slow to react in a situation where instinct is necessary. He needs to fall back, think, before properly reacting to anything. Or at least he would prefer to do such. Once more, a potential flaw.

Think with your head and act with your heart!
A more neutral belief than the others. Quite simply it means to keep your wits about you, but follow your emotions as well. Not much flaw to this one, is there? But wait, consider this. A situation where a character's mind and heart conflict in what they want to do. Perhaps a friend is about to sacrifice himself so that this individual can complete a mission. The mind would say 'complete the task', the heart would say 'help him'. Which one would the individual follow? Would this change his or her belief? Beliefs can help bring about tough decisions.

Beliefs are not set in stone. Granted, they're hard to change, but they can change. Perhaps the yellow individual chose to complete the mission instead of aid the friend. Maybe something like this would cause her belief to change. Maybe she regrets what she did, and now follows her heart more? Or maybe the red one did something he considers repulsive such as kill an innocent, and is now more careful about using his blade! This would call for a change of belief!

Instinct

Instinct is what a character does in a stressful situation. A snap-second thing that the character does whenever he or she does not have time to consider possible actions. What the individual is most comfortable doing. It's easy to figure out the consequences of all of these listed instincts, so I'll put down a few.

Imagine your character being ambushed on the road. How would he -immediately- react?

Fight or die! Only one walks away!
Draw my blade at the first sign of danger.
Protect my fellows, no matter the risk to myself.
Talk my way out of things.
Run! And don't stop running!
Flee until I find a place to hide.
Fall back, assess the situation, act accordingly.

Try and come up with an instinct for your character, and adhere to it.

Goals

Goals are the most flexible of these things. They'll often change from situation to situation. However, whenever you do something with a character, you should have this character's goal in mind.

I want to get the jar of cookies.
I need to get help to save my grandmother's rocking chair from the fire.
I want him to marry me.

And as stated, they often change from situation to situation. Sometimes in rapid succession.

I want to do a random good deed today.
I want to talk to this man to see if I can help with anything.
I want to speak with his wife to discover if she's really been cheating on him.
I must decide whether I should tell the man the truth, or just walk away.
I... bla bla bla.

Things like that. While not always so cut and dry, a character should just generally have a goal in mind.

Traits

Traits are simply things that define your character's personality, yet are lenient enough to allow for some creative interpretation every now and then. They can change, though to alter one is generally difficult and the moment of change would likely be for important reasons. People don't just change on a whim.

So what I would suggest is figure out three traits about a character when you make him or her. Is he brave? Cowardly? Is she truthful or a liar?

Only tell me the things that are most important. Maybe your character is brave, thoughtful, flirty, and a liar. Figure out which of these is the least important and get rid of it. Just three will suffice.

You could also think of a physical trait or two, but try to only put down one. When your character begins to rely too much on how his or her body is, or the powers at one's control, it dulls the character. Would you be more interested in a character that is defined by being big brave and generous, or one with the defining traits of being small quick and a fast talker?

The Template

So when you make a character, I challenge you to consider what the belief, instinct, and traits of this individual would be. To aid with such, here's an easy template to follow. Maybe it'll help you get a better grip on an existing character after considering these things, even. Goals will come later during roleplay, though they're often influenced by the BITs.

... I like that acronym.

Quote:Character Name:

Belief:
Instinct:
Three Traits:

Pretty simple, takes less than five minutes. Might help you define your character better. Give it a whirl! Heck, post it here if you want to.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
And bam, finito.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I have the sudden urge to go read Redwall again.

The, uh, guide was good too, of course.

/adds to RP Profiles folder
Character Name: Singe
Spoiler:

Belief: Freedom needs to be maximised.
Instinct: Talk, talk, talk, slice-char.
Three Traits: Impulsive, insightful, hedonistic

Character Name: Telih
Spoiler:

Belief: All scales must be even and to know the balance is to ponder.
Instinct: Let the Animal take over.
Three Traits: Thoughtful, insightful, unorthodox

Character Name: Jacob
Spoiler:

Belief: The excellent should rule: Jungle meritocracy.
Instinct: Use what they want to get what you want.
Three Traits: Diplomatic, scholarly, manipulative

Character Name: Daze
Spoiler:

Belief: There is no morality or greater good, only intensity of experience.
Instinct: Maximise all feeling and sensation.
Three Traits: Schizoid, sadistic, good-natured
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
Character Name: Krest

Belief: A blade is how I live, and it shall be how I die.
Instinct: Slash first, ask questions later less it be an innocent.
Three Traits: Strong-willed, impulsive, charismatic.
Character Name: Velissa

Belief: Always have them believe you are conforming.
Instinct: Find a way to move your piece first.
Three Traits: Manipulative, Intelligent, Illusionistic.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
Character Name: Rensin Redjaw

Belief: Anything can be solved with a solid fist.
Instinct: Drink away any pain. Emotional or physical.
Three Traits: Hedonistic, Scrappy, Restless.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Character: Pygan

Belief: Make others happy to make yourself happy.
Instinct: Look on the bright side, or find a bright side.
Traits: Loving, Selfless, Ignorant.

Character: Sersay

Belief: Always seek gain for yourself.
Instinct: Taunt, tease, and pick on flaws.
Traits: Selfish, Greedy, Arrogant.
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
Character: Alywien

Belief: The Shadows are as part of the Night, as is the moon. Being dead doesn't mean stop living.
Instinct: Self-preservation at all costs.
Traits: Apathetic, Curious, Spontaneous.

Character: Doyle

Belief: The Light will guide us well.
Instinct: Preserve all Life.
Traits: Calculated, Caring, Balanced.

Character: M'yiru

Belief: What will happen, should've happened.
Instinct: Adapt.
Traits: Grateful, Selfless, Caring.

Just three of mine. I have more, but why post it all?
[Image: 8.jpg]
Character: Krohn Rageclaw

Belief: Survival of the fittest. Leave the weak behind.
Instinct: Animalistic. Enough said.
Traits: Vindictive, Wild, Brutal

Character: Draknir Bloodcleave

Belief: Whoever doesn't act is already dead.
Instinct: Protect the Horde's brothers and sisters, but don't get yourself killed.
Traits: Blunt, Loyal, Defensive

Character: Mokaku

Belief: Every defeat is a lesson.
Instinct: Seek peace, but let no threat go ignored.
Traits: Patient, Durable, Physical

Character: Tzekel

Belief: "Don't stare at me."
Instinct: Whimper and hide. Attack only when forced.
Traits: Shy, Slow, Greedy
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Character: Annabelle Gree--Bronco.

Belief: Inherent goodness in all. Bonds bring change and action.
Instinct: There is more than meets the eye here.
Traits: Patient, loving, nosy

Character: Mar'waz'fon

Belief: Everyone is a plaything of the Loa. The issue is how one can play back.
Instinct: Manipulate to self's advantage without too much injury to others.
Traits: Serpentine, coy, regret

Character: Nuadon Duskshield

Belief: Elune is the mother of all, and Nuadon is her people's shield.
Instinct: Follow orders.
Traits: Stoic, patient, curious
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Character Name: Riael

Belief: Survival of the Fittest!
Instinct: Prevail, no matter what.
Three Traits: Truthful, need-driven, intimate

Character Name: Telah

Belief: The interest of our race must come first, always.
Instinct: Defends the weak, defuse the situation
Three Traits: Dutiful, thoughtful, tenacious
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Character Name : Corchel
Belief: Nature's balance must be preserved, at all costs.
Instinct: Protect the weak.
Three Traits: Soft-spoken, philosophic, strong
Character Name : Tressian van Ravenholdt

Belief: Do good when profitable, evil when logical

Instinct: Defend the self first, and the family second; All others may be aided when the outcome seems beneficial financially, socially, or personally.

Three Traits: Controlling, patriotic, unpredictable
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~