The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Paladin Code
So some time ago I stumbled across an excellent piece of writing that I've decided to share with you all. Although it's by no means official, I think that the author has perfectly captured the spirit and nature of the paladin class, and I give it my highest endorsement. If you play a paladin or are considering rolling one, then I definitely suggest you read it and give its contents consideration.

It takes the form of an IC lecture given by a veteran champion of the Light to a rookie and frankly, it's brilliant, covering the codes of behaviour, values and principles an ideal paladin might hold himself to. What I really like about it is how it harmonises elements derived from medieval conceptions of knighthood and chivalry with Warcarft lore regarding the Light and the Three Virtues. It's definitely worth a read, and it can be found here or in the spoiler tag below.

Spoiler:
Quote:Hm, what can I say that will justify this particular work?
Perhaps I should start by loyally warning you that this code, although it does nail down the Three Virtues of the Light, is entirely unofficial; it's just a proposition of what the perfect Paladin, the chevalier sans peur et sans reproche could be like. I've decided to write it in the style of a master Paladin giving a lecture to younger ones, but don't be swayed by its authoritarian tone. The only thing a paladin must ICly keep in mind are the Three Virtues, the entire rest is expanding and commenting upon them.

Yes, I know it all relies on the Paladin's own belief. However, I doubt that's common knowledge.

Finally, the substance of this code is more suited to the traditional Alliance Paladins. Blood Knights and Sunwalkers will have to do some - a lot of - adaptive work to be able to work with it.

An old master shares his wisdom with younger Paladins...

Truly, you set on a long and arduous path to holiness by donning the mantle of a paladin. For although we seem to be a numerous group we are but a handful, united from countless souls dwelling on this plane of tears. Therefore remember to always have the courage worthy of ten people.

Know that when the young do not see the difference between good and evil, the aged often wrap themselves in sinful haughtiness. Therefore, it might be that my words will aid all who hear them.

Beginning our lesson, I wish to point to an important matter – what is the difference between a paladin and a knight? Know, brothers and sisters, that a knight is a man of high standing and of great prowess in battle, who fights in King's name and is carried only by his own pride and honour. A paladin is an agent of the Light and its church, pure of heart and word, always vigilant and ready to strike at the evil which lurks among us.

Therefore remember: although your enemies shall mock and taunt you while walking the realms of Azeroth, you may not become like a bold knight or a proud swordswoman, challenging them to duels. You shall endure verbal abuse in stoic silence. May your pride and sense of honour never cause the death of those who can still return to the Light! For when your skill at battle increases and your pride swells and you start to ward off hatred by force only, you shall become impure and unworthy to the Light. Always let your deeds be just before your own conscience, for public opinion matters not.

Brothers and sisters, be merciful! I ask this of you in lieu of tens and hundreds of beings who shall scream for mercy when you begin to dispense justice by way of sword and warfare. For the only just course is to forgive the sins of the penitent sinner. Only if you are certain of the wickedness of your enemy and twice as certain he cannot be turned to the path of the Light again, kill him and pray for purity. Every being you slay, even if done to aid a good cause, still leaves a bloody stain on your hands and soul. I forbid you to kill by way of sword or spell or burning pyre only because they hail form a race or family that is considered a vile enemy. Entire crowds of people fight the Orcs and Trolls, the Tauren, the Forsaken and the accursed Sin'dorei, but you, paladin, you shall only deal in justice. If you ever murder a thinking being whose only fault was the skin or eye colour or a mark on its body, you shall be judged severely by the Light when you die.

Therefore you must never forget that your mission is not to kill but to convert, for sudden death is an abomination. By killing that which is evil, you prevent them from changing, from turning to the Light! Their souls shall never find peace and happiness within it. Thus, may you never forget that by killing you become like a thief to the Light. Strive to perfection, so that the only souls you wrest from Light's forgiving grasp are irredeemable scraps with no other destiny than being fed to demons.

But do not believe in destiny! Your hands are not guided by invisible and arcane forces, but by the will of the Light and your own. When people say “Over there is a maid whose fate is death”, do not believe them and go try to save her, even if there are no obvious solutions.

You shall deem the life of the innocent and just as well as their faith holy. As a servant of the Light, strive to deepen your faith and follow a code of honour. Do not teach falsely, for those of us who teach will face much harsher judgement than others. Do not judge wrongly, for you will be judged with your own justice. Do not kill yourself or others unless absolutely necessary, for if you become unworthy to the Light, your spirit will die for all eternity.

Treat every brother in Light with respect, showing exceptional courtesy to women. Everyone deserves respect and show them the same kind of treatment you would like to experience yourself. Do not praise the body or the soul falsely, for if you falsely exalt a kinsman once he shall not trust you for much longer, not knowing when you speak the truth and when you simply wish to incur a favour.

Speak of your emotions in words both polite and elaborate, never blaspheming, never in anger, always mastering fear and fury. Your stance shall be straight yet humble, never showing weakness, lending itself not to anger, haughtiness, grief or sadness, but to joy, not seeking quarrel, but peace of mind and humility.

Do not trust strangers too much, but do not hide your past from them – speak of any deed you are not ashamed of in a tempered tone, never wandering into excess pride or humility. Always accept a just punishment for deeds you should repent for. Forgive freely, but never forget about deceit or betrayal so that you may not be deceived again. Show genuine sympathy to your paladin brothers and sisters and never strive to convert them to your views, for every paladin walks the righteous path of the Light, even if you don't share the same outlook.

May money be of little concern to you. Do not spend them on pleasures of the flesh, but to ensure the peace of mind of others. Spend them on a sword and armour which will aid you in your tasks, on bread and simple food instead of rich and extravagant cuisine. Strive to live as long as you can by maintaining as little expenses as possible. The gold and silver you save will aid the work of the Church in tending to victims of poverty, plague and war.

A paladin should wear simple garb on a common day, for not gold and silver but the purity of one's hand and soul are a testament of one's devotion to the Light. Thus, a paladin should care about the purity of his body, but without excessive beautification, for it's not your body nor your chest that are your pride.

You may wear the gowns and garments of the common folk, just like anything else. However, even though the Light shines upon those who stand against their foes armed with prayer and shielded with faith, you shall not give yourself to death and never underestimate the powers of darkness. Armour and shield shall not be unholy to you, but holy, for they save the lives of you and those under your protection. Remember, however, that the most infallible armour and shield is your faith in the Light and the love it gives you in return.

It is honourable but not strictly necessary to have a lady whom your heart may love, for the Light deems the knightly custom neither righteous nor evil. It shall be your own pleasure, your own action towards increasing your honour.

Do not take your betrothed to bed with you, nor fulfil the husband's duty before you both are wedded – may your love be praised, treasured and immaculate, for good or for worse. May your bodies never become one to satisfy the cravings of the flesh, but those of your hearts and souls.

Remember that family will be a great treasure to you, one that will lead you away from the Light and expose you to anxiety, fear and suffering – and not only you, but also many other souls. For it will be much harder for you to risk your life for an unacquainted person if you're afraid for the fate of your spouse and offspring. Therefore, only a wise paladin with an equally wise spouse should continue his service to the Light. May others learn that while it is a true blessing to have a child and a hearth, one's service to the Light is far more important.

Thus said, every married paladin should decide for himself whether or not to put the sword away and become a priest who would convert others to the Light and enjoy peace with his dearest ones. For the Light is good and taking an orphaned child into care is as holy and noble as the creation of new life.

Hear me and follow this code I give you:
The second most important virtue of a paladin is his honour. Honour disallows the paladin to break any single point of this code. Only your faith in the Light will be above your honour and only your faith may justify staining it.

If it happens that a paladin loses his honour by way of an accident or due to circumstances, he is obliged to repair his error and repent. If the code is broken knowingly and willingly, then the paladin is not worthy of his rank and should abandon his insignia.

A paladin, being a warrior of the Light, is obliged to show his devotion by following its teachings as well the laws of the church and of the realm. He may never disavow his faith and, if need be, give his own life to protect it.

The greatest stain on the honour of a warrior of the Light is to treat women badly. For women are beings of purity and beauty and no paladin should raise his hand against them. Moreover, they should defend them, serve them and care for their good name. Only mortal peril may allow a paladin to harm a woman.

A paladin must be of a lawful disposition. He may not break laws and if faced with others doing so, he must try to talk them out of it or notify the criminal police.

A paladin must not stain his lips with a lie. If a paladin is being persuaded into lying, better if he stays silent, even in the face of death, than utter a lie.

A paladin must not take the property of others, unless it is given by the owner's own free will.

A paladin is a warrior whom the Light gave the right to kill in name of faith, justice, the life of others and his own. Therefore, he must not harm any innocents. Should one of us kill an innocent, a child or an elder, he deserves ultimate condemnation.

A paladin should be courageous. He must never run from a field of battle, nor refuse to attend a duel out of fear.

A paladin must not attack dishonourably. He must never ambush his foes, use poison, bow or crossbow against melee fighters, nor must he use assassination or traps.

A paladin must treat defeated foes with respect. He must treat them honourably and ensure the dead are always properly buried, even if they are mortal enemies to the paladin. Should a paladin be asked for mercy, he is obliged to be merciful, unless his foe is a wicked creature, seeking only to poison others' souls.

Compassion is a trait of the enlightened soul and those who show it are favoured by the Light. A paladin should not ignore poverty, suffering and misery, especially this of orphans, widows and elders. Should a paladin be asked for aid, he is obliged to lend it to the best of his abilities, unless it breaks a point of the code.

A paladin should pray often, for in prayer he speaks with the Light and repents for his misdeeds. He must feel reverence towards priesthood and every time a foe is slain by his hand, he must pray to the Light for forgiveness, even if he kills in a righteous cause.

I can teach you nothing more, brothers and sisters. May your heart and the call of a righteous soul guide you all. May the Light lead you through dark paths. I wish you the best of luck.

All credit goes to Edanna of The Sha'tar EU.
... Good find.
This is fantastic! Thanks!
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
CotH Paladin Code

-Curse like a sailor
-Snark. Never enough snark.
-Hate. Everyone.
-Or the extreme opposite. Love everyone.
-Don't attack the heretic, insult him/her.
-Master the usage of the precision F bomb, it is a cultist's weakness.
-When in doubt, bubble. No one can now hit you.
-Fall in love with alcohol, it powers you.
-Your armor deflects everything.
-Your sword cuts through anything.
-Remember to stay fit. If you can not backflip or roll to the side nimbly while in full plate, you are a failure.
-Never use a hammer or a shield. Only swords.
-Let your sex drive influence you greatly.
-Forgive people for actions of their race as a whole. Or constantly remind them of your racism. Depends on which previously mentioned extreme you are.
-Never worry about losing the Light.
-No matter what you do, you are right. You can not make mistakes.
-This code does not apply if you wear purple.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
You disappoint me greatly, Xigo.

EDIT: Oh, and great post! Derp.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
I added in a little bit for you, Clovis. :P
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(05-08-2012, 06:50 PM)Xigo Wrote: I added in a little bit for you, Clovis. :P

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE D:

But yar. I admit, a lot of players on CotH don't quite fit the Paladin trope to a tee, but can you blame them? It's hard enough to keep to ones morals in real life. Managing them for a whole new character, in a whole new world, with a whole list of things that you can do that could go terrible wrong, while still making that character interesting and engaging and human without turning them into a walking Lawful Srs Goody Goody who's not fun to be around, nevermind to play, is -hard-. I dare say Paladin is one of the most challenging classes in WoW RP to do right due to all the standards they're held to.

But I do really like this guild, and I think it'd make an amazing set of standards for the average Cothadin to hold their character too - think of them as words to life by, not holy commandments that can never be broken. Part of being a Paladin is knowing you're not perfect. Hell, this article is pretty much a perfect 'Paladin Guide', imo.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
Understood. It's just there's a fine line between 'dudebro with Light powers' and 'Paladin' in my eyes. And unfortunately I tend to see more of the former than the latter.

Regardless, I like the OP!
ha.

Cristovao has screwed up a good deal of those to some degree or another.

WHAT A LOSER HE IS HUH

edit: and yet he more or less also fails Xigo's CotHadin guide too.

DOUBLE LOSER.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I honestly have no 'paladin' paladin. Most are variants of the class. Though, I'd like to think that Lieonai fits some of these rather well. I just...sorta...need to play her more often.

*cough*
(05-08-2012, 06:34 PM)Xigo Wrote: CotH Paladin Code

-Curse like a sailor
-Snark. Never enough snark.
-Hate. Everyone.
-Or the extreme opposite. Love everyone.
-Don't attack the heretic, insult him/her.
-Master the usage of the precision F bomb, it is a cultist's weakness.
-When in doubt, bubble. No one can now hit you.
-Fall in love with alcohol, it powers you.
-Your armor deflects everything.
-Your sword cuts through anything.
-Remember to stay fit. If you can not backflip or roll to the side nimbly while in full plate, you are a failure.
-Never use a hammer or a shield. Only swords.
-Let your sex drive influence you greatly.
-Forgive people for actions of their race as a whole. Or constantly remind them of your racism. Depends on which previously mentioned extreme you are.
-Never worry about losing the Light.
-No matter what you do, you are right. You can not make mistakes.
-This code does not apply if you wear purple.

Shoot. I accidentally rolled Rensin as a paladin and didn't know it.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

In all honesty, I sometimes think -Piken- has more Paladin traits than actual Paladins. >.>
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Necro'd, but for good reason. Reopened this while I was writing a profile today. This is definitely worth keeping around, yo. (Articles and Guides, maybe? I think it could be expanded even further than it already is, and made into a fantastic guide, with this OP as the centerpiece.)
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
Thanks for the necro, Muhaha. Recently rolled a wannabe Paladin and this will be fandiddlytastic for referencing on his way to proper Paladinship!
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paladin Question Edgar 4 1,291 03-08-2010, 10:46 PM
Last Post: Jeff