The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Linux (Ubuntu)
Have any computer folk messed around with Linux, or perhaps specifically Ubuntu? I've been considering making the switch (especially after fiddling around with Ubuntu on my laptop computer), but are there any folks with first-hand experience?
I have a xubuntu partition I recently installed. I could probably answer some questions.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
I had used Ubuntu in the beginning when I switched to Linux for 1 1/2 month I think. Then I changed to archlinux. Depending on your question (if it isn't Ubuntu specific), I might be able to answer it.
I'm actually learning Ubuntu in my engineering course... except for the part where I'm not understanding anything. >:
[Image: NXAwd.png?1]
I work with Red Hat, Fedora etc.

So I pretty much know my way around Linux.

Ubuntu is easier for me, if you have ye olde gnome classic installed.

Most of the IT industry uses Linux, since it's less resource consuming than Windows.

However, a major downside of Linux is that you don't have directx, only openGL.
But for everything else it's a bit better than windows. (Program-wise)
[Image: kuzco_llama_by_mroobalooba-d3jkg9p.png]

Oh my god... you didn't...
After doing some research this morning, I've come up with a few suggestions. I see that as Jaella suggests, Red Hat and Fedora seem to be pretty decent for a wide spectrum of games, as well as is Unbuntu.

Depending on the games you're installing and the services you are running for them, however, you may have to do quite a bit of research to construct your own Kernel to suite the needs for the game and services, and from what memory I have from working with Linux/Unix it can be quite time consuming and very confusing due to the lack of the typical bells and whistles of Windows OS's.

A lot of making the Kernel and altering the shell has to do with using the command line heavily, but luckily there are many resources that list cheatsheets for that, as well as providing some simple scripts to help you with all the services.

Basically, I'd see what games you are looking to install, and their services, and research what you'd have to do in order to get it all in workin' order. Windows is easier, but again costly and a pain in the patootie when you're adding new hardware thanks to Microsoft's wonderful restrictions on hardware VIDs, along with all the flashy OS crap that detracts from your CPU and RAM output.

I'll try to find some more firm information later, as I'm quickly going to see the Avengers! Good luck Kretol!

Edit: Ah, and! One of the hard parts about Linux servers is figuring out how to get DirectX working on them. Linux does not officially have support with DirectX, so often in order to get it working, you have to find a way to emulate it on the operating system, and sometimes that can get buggy and unwieldy.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

My sister's run more Ubuntu than I have. It seems to be a great OS, though I can't navigate Linux too well. There's a lot of manuals out there for Red Hat, Fedora, and Ubuntu.

I've always stuck my guns to Mac OS, mostly because my computing is geared more to art than gaming. It'll run WoW and Photoshop easily and that's about all I care for. From what my understanding is, Linux is a great OS if you want access to nearly all disk formats, programming, and capability of running Windows (and sometimes Mac) programs. If you do make the switch to Ubuntu, you might want to learn a handful of commands. The more prompt commands you know, the more you can do with Linux.

tl;dr
From what I've seen with my sister using Ubuntu, I'd probably use it if it didn't seem so difficult to get it to run Photoshop and WoW. Looks like a mess of commands and components. Still great though. Not a big Linux fan though.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
For Ubuntu there is something called PlayOnLinux, it uses a wine front-end to emulate directx and only the necessary windows components to make the game run. But don't go with the kadoodle of making your own Kernel, since it'll be hard to update and keep track of which packages are still supported by applications.

For the sake of safety, reliability and stability, pick Ubuntu or a reliable KDE distribution.

Rensin, most people only build a Kernel to suit their specific needs. (Usually companies and some hobbyists)
Most companies I had some assignments for were using Red Hat or Fedora or OpenSuse which they tuned and modified for specific services.

Im using Linux (not Ubuntu) since quite some years, so I should be able to assist in case of problems.
Kretol should make a self-note list of the people he can turn to when problems occur.

I have an ubuntu computer that I've had for the past few years, I was even able to get WoW to work on it. I know someone very talented with the system as well who helped me set the whole thing up. Reach me on Skype, ( Skype name Lokmagrosh) if you need anything. We should be able to figure it out.

[Image: c36335d73555714146b393bce05c4a74.jpg]

[Image: 1219597_c9f207c53e0656326cf233adf2569bb2.jpg]
Email is better Therew, to set up a time-meeting 'n stuff.

For running the .exe's of the server or bat files you need Wine (Windows front-end for Linux [Any distribution]).

That way you won't have to mess around in finding a replacement software package to emulate the server. Unless the server-emulating software was originally made for Linux D=

There's always an option of emulating a test run or partitioning your OS installation disk. If you run Linux on the server machine and find it more of a hassle than anything, you can always swap right back to your original OS. I try to partition any disk I want to test run an OS on or create a virtual machine with VMWare. I do know that Windows and Linux and coexist on a disk much better than Windows and OSX will.

And I can get contact with one of my friends who specializes in Linux. One of the best I know.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Yea you are right. Email would be better. I work from home and go to school at home so I forget that not everyone has the 24/7 availability that I have. If you need me my email is [email protected]

[Image: c36335d73555714146b393bce05c4a74.jpg]

[Image: 1219597_c9f207c53e0656326cf233adf2569bb2.jpg]
(05-13-2012, 06:42 AM)SachikoMaeda Wrote: There's always an option of emulating a test run or partitioning your OS installation disk. If you run Linux on the server machine and find it more of a hassle than anything, you can always swap right back to your original OS. I try to partition any disk I want to test run an OS on or create a virtual machine with VMWare. I do know that Windows and Linux and coexist on a disk much better than Windows and OSX will.

And I can get contact with one of my friends who specializes in Linux. One of the best I know.

There's the option of running Linux/OSX as a Virtual machine as well, if it's trying to throw up problems. However, I can't imagine a Virtual machine doing to well at running a gaming server, but of course I haven't even seen anything about anyone trying it either... so who knows? Heh.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△