The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Abjuration?
I've fairly recently made a mage character who is an abjurer and while I really like the concept on her, I've found sources on exactly what abjuration in the Warcraft universe covers a bit... sparse. She's not really much of a fighter, but this is the school she's passionate about and I'd like some parameters so I and everyone else feels comfortable with her around.

Should I be looking at D&D for some guidance? X
Sure, some of these are nice and hadn't immediately occured to me, such as Alarm and Arcane lock, but it gets potentially inappropriate, OP or god-moddie really quick. (stoneskin, dismissal and hide from undead >.>)

WoWwikis and the like aren't much help, and the existing mage spell list comes up pretty thin.

Any suggestions/advice/ feelings on what you would/would not be comfortable with if you were RPing with such a character?
If spell-breakers are allowed I'm sure your character will be.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
You're asking for personal opinion.

I'd be fine with literally anything your creative mind could come up with. I mean it! I actually love players who step outside the box and pull together their own concepts of using the Arcane as a tool or weapon. I wouldn't consider anything you do godmodding! Really!
(05-17-2012, 08:53 AM)Kirabo Wrote: You're asking for personal opinion.

I'd be fine with literally anything your creative mind could come up with. I mean it! I actually love players who step outside the box and pull together their own concepts of using the Arcane as a tool or weapon. I wouldn't consider anything you do godmodding! Really!

But I would like to have a box as a point of reference, as well as opinions to sate my godmod/munchkin paranoia.. I feel like I'm flying blind with WoW abjurers. What do they do? Where do people draw the line between it and other schools of magic, etc.
So I like magic. I like magic a lot. In fact, most of my favorite characters have been magical ones. That said, I had no idea what abjuration was so I went to the D20 SRD to get a description. This is what I'm basing it off of, so please correct me if I'm wrong about what you meant.

Quote:Abjurations are protective spells. They create physical or magical barriers, negate magical or physical abilities, harm trespassers, or even banish the subject of the spell to another plane of existence.

As far as I see it, this stands well with the magic that Mages practice in Azeroth. We see Arcane Mages using spells like Mana Shield and Counterspell, even Spellsteal. Spellbreakers harness the power of Arcane energies and the teachings of Mages to become immune to magical effects and to reflect and destroy the magical energies of spellcasters. Even Priests practice a form of Abjuration in a way, dispelling magical effects over large areas and creating shields out of the souls and wills of living beings. Warlocks and Paladins also are known for banishing creatures quite often, though to be fair they can only banish creatures that do not belong in the current dimension (Since it seems to only work on "evil outsider" type creatures, it might just be working against creatures summoned from a different "home plane" who don't belong).

As for the magically trapped and protected areas, what's the difference between a little Mana Shield and the bubble around Dalaran except for a matter of scale? And if any old dagger or piece of rock can be enchanted why not enchant a doorway or a room? Those kinds of things take more people and time to make, but that's not always a poor trade for peace of mind behind a magical barrier.

Anyway I think it's a cool idea.
The Schools of Arcane Magic - Abjuration

This may be of interest to you, as it essentially outlines the entire Abjuration school as it exists in Warcraft. Your character could also use the Inscription and Enchantment professions to imbue protective wards and glyphs on items.

Personally, I think this is fantastic. I love it when people put that little bit extra thought into their magic characters' abilities.
(05-17-2012, 12:41 PM)Sol Wrote: Your character could also use the Inscription and Enchantment professions to imbue protective wards and glyphs on items.

That's kind of exactly what I'm going for with her. >.>
She's spent most of her adult life in a Mage's tower, nurturing her natural affinity for Abjuration, and studying how to make practical and specialized spells and enchantments for improving quality of life. Her current favorite accomplishment is having created an enchantment that will, without visible or archival issue, dry and cure paint.

...She's mostly a civilian character.