The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Soldier Gurl
Kalah lightly raps a mechanical ink pen on a wooden table. She looks at her surroundings, notably her friends Anthrion and Nuadon. Things are quiet in Astranaar tonight as a host brings around food to the trio. With a quiet nod of thanks Kalah takes a piece of her bread to nibble on. She sets the ink pen to paper and begins to write. Despite the interruptions the script is flowing and elegant,

Kalah Wrote:I have decided to write the journal for many reasons, but for tonight’s entry it is this; I have moved in with my friend and Shan'do, Nuadon. It would also seem that I have moved in with her mate as well, Anthrion. Together the three of us have vowed to take another step forward in defending our Kaldorei lands. I feel awkward, as though I am open to the idea of finding my own mate, I didn’t think I was moving in with a mated couple. Nuadon never menti- Dear Elune, did I walk-in on their first time?

Regardless, tonight I start my new life on my own. Before these two, I had the military, and even then I never moved out of home. Tonight I’ve done that. I’ve even hung up my glaive that was given to me at the completion of basic training. It’s a good weapon, but I have my doubts about using it with the Warden’s style of cloak. I am no Warden yet, but with Nuadon’s training I can start down that path. As a Watcher, if only in our little group dubbed “Ash Wardens”.

The next section follows a series of scrawled out starts and is visibly written with a bit more pressure.
Kalah Wrote:How right I was! Seems they mated not two hours before I came in on them. Thank Elune I didn’t barge right into that. I really need to rethink my lodging choice. Nuadon did say it just kind of happened, but seriously. I thought I was moving into a bachelorette house. I suppose I wanted to jot down the these thoughts of mine so I can try to get some sleep. I am no Druid; give me a bed, a few pillows and a thick blanket I can cuddle up in. I kind of guessed they were already mated, but wasn’t sure. I must confess, at least to these pages, that I find Anthrion physically attractive. Elune could of spared me less hormones, no doubt. Other than eye candy, I’m not sure he’d be a good fit for me anyway. I want someone playful and with a sense of humor. Maybe good with animals or nature, as I’m more of a city Elf. I was going to have some gurl-talk with Corchel about this very topic, but I’m not really in the mood now. – Odd. I am happy for them, and should make a point to congratulate them.

It’s getting late. I think I will enjoy this little new hobby, but for now I must put this pen down. I think I will end with this thought; “What a day!
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Kalah runs both hands into her short hair and massages her scalp with a long, drawn out sigh. Finally ready to turn in for the night; she collapses exaggeratedly into her new bed with a huff. After a moment to collect herself Kalah reaches for her journal and pen. The following script is just as elegant as before but with traces of light and wispy notes,

Kalah Wrote:I am exhausted! First thing first was to find Franziska, which I hadn’t planned to before taking the time to visit the Temple. I noticed she was kneeling silent in prayer, so I joined her. It was nice, I usually don’t have the pleasure of company during a time of devotion. Nuadon had some books about Elune, so maybe I could barrow one or maybe she’d even like go with me sometime? I told Franziska about my situation and we decided that it would be alright if I moved in the Sentinel bunkhouse just outside of Maestra’s Post. She cleared it with her superiors pretty easily. She mentioned it was mostly empty due to the other gurls staying in the barracks or with family. I got a nook of my own and a bed. That’s enough for me now.

Anthrion seemed to be quite worried about my choice, but otherwise he took my decision well enough. Nuadon gifted me with an exquisite moonglaive. It took my breath away. I can’t help but wonder how much this set her back. It looks custom crafted, adorned with snowflakes in the leather bindings. It was so sweet of her! I want to focus on mastering this exotic weapon. But for now, I’ll be happy if I don’t cut myself. Easy to do after all the moving I’ve done tonight. I really appreciate Nuadon’s gifts of furniture, but they were heavy. At least I’m settled now. Fran and I are both single, so I feel better moving in with her right now. At least I can focus on my training. Nuadon pushes me to my limits, but she knows I’ll give it everything I got. It is refreshing to get this one-on-one attention for a chang
The elven script just kind of scribbles off ineligible as the young Kalah passes out from exhaustion. There is a subtle water mark near the bottom of the page.

This short, hastily written entry is practically embossed into the page.

Kalah Wrote:So Franziska and I were almost sacrificed tonight at a place called, ‘The Master’s Glaive’ in the Twilight Vale. I’ve never been so terrified in my life. Franziska definitely help me keep my head. We melded into the shadows and fooled the guard long enough to wiggle towards the bushes. I saw something glinter metal. Luckily they too busy bickering amongst themselves as we managed to find a discarded chest, dagger inside. With a little distraction from Franziska’s death magic, we managed to escape up some vines. We both lost our armor, but more importantly, Nuadon’s gift, my moonglaive.

We’re going to gather the Ash Wardens and strike back and recover our stolen gear. I must put my fears aside and stand untied with my brothers and sisters!

Kalah opens her eyes, but darkness is all she sees. She pulls the covers from over her head and leans up to look out into the forest. Her silver eyes squint at the morning light and she grumbles to herself. The young writer picks up her journal and pen and lies back into her bed. She folds the binding back and begins to write. The Darnassian script is slightly skewed and slightly arcs downward the farther away from the center of the journal because of this position.

Kalah Wrote:Can’t sleep. I didn’t want to write this down, as I have no idea what to think. But I can’t talk to anyone about it. Maybe Corchel, I trust her. We’ve had some gurl talk before, she would have some advice. It was probably her advice she already gave me that put me actually thinking about this seriously. I should thank her again for her time. Maybe on our hunt. But not now. I need to rest for the big day tomorrow. But my mind is swirling with these thoughts!

Franziska has told me that she cares for me. Why wouldn’t she? We’ve been through so much together. From our patrols together, the occasional Orc battle, that time I got wasted on that Airship, and even simple things like cutting her hair or going shopping in Darnassus. When I think on those, I am filled with happiness. I know she’s undead. I know, alright? But she’s still Kaldorei, and has proven herself to have the opportunity to serve her country. Just like I do. Is it wrong to feel angry when someone is rude to her because of what she is? I want her to be happy, as if she was never twisted into undeath. Is that an impossible wish? Even so, I think my efforts have proved fruitful. Franziska is the happiest I’ve ever seen her. It was even noticeable as we escaped from the cultists. The way she whispered directions directly into my ear. Had I not been so scared I might of flirted back? Is that what caused all this, playful banter? She’s said it a few times, especially when we went shopping for robes and dresses; that she finds me attractive. I smiled as I wrote that. It is a good feeling, to be wanted, desired. I even felt something when Anthrion teased me about running around bare-chested like him when his armor was being repaired.

Corchel spoke to me about picking a mate and the first thing she mentioned was reciprocal feelings. Do I feel the same way back? I enjoy the attention, flirting, jokes, but that’s not really the same thing is it? Next was, do I find them attractive? That was an easy question for the muscular Warden, but what about Franziska? She’s got that gaping eye scar-wound, but that’s not so bad with the eyepatch. She’s also undead. Not really thinking that’ll be any fun. She’s also a she. I always pictured myself with a little family tucked away much like my own parents. Even Corchel and Tikar seem happy together. I dare write Anthrion and Nuadon if only make sure I’m over it. But it’s not like I was completely repulsed by the idea either. What does that mean!? I care for Franziska, she is my friend. I don’t want to hurt her, but I want to stay true to my own hopes and dreams. Is that selfish? I kind of left it open when we talked, but she deserves a proper answer. Not until I talk with Corchel at least. This hunt will give me a few days away from all this to clear my head, and simply return to who I am.

Gods, am I going to have to move again?

Kalah takes the time to read a note in the early evening before she prepares for battle. She smiles faintly as she finishes reading it and neatly folds it in half. The young soldier then tucks it between these pages of her journal.

Spoiler:
Kalah,

I'd like to apologize for yesterday. Like I said time and time again, don't mind me.

MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES.

Your friend, always,
Franziska

The young Kaldorei stirs in her bed with a sleepy groan of stiffness. Kalah’s arm stretches against her pillow and her silver eyes flicker open with a deep yawn. She blinks a few times at the pillow and runs her fingertips across it. With an amused smirk she wipes her damp mouth and stirs to her knees on the bed. Kalah swings her feet over and stands in a full body stretch, hands reaching for the ceiling. She ruffles her own hair kinda back into place and turns around to make the bed neatly. Plucking up a small toothbrush and towel she heads up the ramp looking around. She thinks to herself as she nears a wash tub, Must of slept in too long, no one’s here.

Kalah struts confidently back to her bed after her bath. She sets the toothbrush next to her journal and adjusts the towel she’s securely wrapped up in. Kneeling next to her footlocker chest at the end of her bed, she begins to unload the contents onto her bed. Afterwards she sits on her knees and folds her hands on the edge of the bed. After a concentrated sigh she takes a quiet moment to pray. To the Night Warrior, My Goddess Elune, I pray for protection and strength for tonight. I need your hand on me as I take this opportunity to grow and thrive in devotion to you. Help me to take time aside and enjoy whatever peace and tranquility I find along the way, and give me the courage to face whatever challenges await. Kalah opens her eyes and stands with a content sigh. She discards her towel and slips into her under-armor garments. She thinks as she slips her shirt over her head, Franziska really knows what she is talking about.. I haven’t bruised at all since she helped me pick out the proper padding under my armor.

Kalah takes up her plate leggings and slips both legs into it, securing it loosely on her hips. She lifts her breastplate and looks at it for a moment, then arcs it over her head. Her fingertips snug the bindings on the right side of ribcage and she reaches down again. She pulls up the long tabard of white and gray and smiles at it. She rolls it up and tucks it against her pillow. The young warrior dips either foot into a boot and secures them snugly. Kalah picks up her moonglaive, and traces her fingertips over the snowflakes etched in the leather bindings. She clips it to her belt along with a small quiver holding six arrows. The woman takes a ceremonial-looking Kaldorei bow and works a leather strap around it, securing it to her pauldron.

The young Kaldorei looks around with a slow nod, Feels like I’m forgetting something.. She shrugs and sits on the edge of her bed. Reaching behind her, Kalah takes up her journal and begins to write in it.

Kalah Wrote:I believe I am all set. Corchel and I will be leaving today for our hunt in Azshara. I spent some time with my parents in preparation, who gifted me with a ceremonial longbow. They still push the ritual at me, though after my failure with the Cultists, how could I accept? Perhaps they think I will return from this trip ready for it. I wanted to get away from them for a little bit so I went over to the hot springs. Franzskia surprised me with a visit. She was really worried about me for some reason. I tried to get her to loosen up, and I think for the most part it worked. She joined me in the hot springs, though it seemed like she’s never changed in front of someone else before. Privacy is a luxury in the service, at least for me. Not sure if things were different when she entered the Sisterhood. It was good to get to relax away the afternoon though.

Later, after dinner and while I was getting ready to return to Ashenvale, Min’da and I had an.. awkward talk. Hopefully it doesn’t haunt me during our trip. I am really looking forward to getting away from it all. No Orcs. No Cultists. No social awkwardness. Just me, and Corchel. She’s pretty level headed and has sound advice. Hopefully I will be able to re-center myself and simply focus on my skills. I’m leaving this journal here, no need to bother with it. Whatever happens out there will be just between Corchel and Elune.

Kalah slips the journal under the tabard and further still under the pillow. She runs her hands over the bed, smoothing out the wrinkles before gingerly trotting out towards Astranaar.

While reclining in a bath, Kalah sets her journal on a small ledge and writes as she soaks. The elven handwriting is elegant and light, but with many breaks in thought.

Kalah Wrote:Hello journal, long time no see! The hunt in Azshara was amazing, as I predicted it would be. It was really relaxing to be around Corchel. I don’t know if it’s because she’s a Druid, or older, but we just kind of went at our own pace for a couple days. She has the most beautiful hair, it almost makes me want to grow mine out. Might make me look older? Anyway, It was a good retreat away from everything. I even took my hunting bow, but it was really a bit too bulky to carry around. I wonder if Nuadon will train me to throw daggers like her and Warden Ironraven?

Franziska ambushed me with a gift when we returned, some sort of human-Sentinel outfit. “Agent” costume. It matches the dark glasses I bought from the goblin a few weeks ago! Don’t know when I’ll wear it, but it was sweet of her to think of me when she was in Darnassus.

Met up with that Demon Hunter again, his name is Taladir. This time he tried to attack me, it was a wasted effort as he collapsed from blood loss. Luckily Corchel was able to heal him up. It seemed to take a lot out of the Druidess. No wonder they only heal in dire needs. I always wondered if the body will get stronger if left to heal naturally? I should pick back up on my first aid classes. I’m no Druidess or Priestess.

Tonight, I ran into Tirius and Torose. After how well the Hunt went, I eagerly accepted to spar with him. It was a really close fight, I was surprised I did so well. I haven’t had the moonglaive that long and yet I am still taken aback at my natural affinity for weapons. Tirius didn’t hold back or treat me like a child, it was invigorating! He packed quite a punch, I’m going to need my faceguard fixed. Not to mention I got a pretty good shiner on my face.

Speaking of face, Anthrion suggested that I take my rite tattoos. He didn’t really give me a reason as to why I should now. It’s not that I’m against the idea, I just don’t expect to really go through with it any time soon. I feel that I’ve grown up so much since I joined the military, despite my failings. Perhaps if I do get them, then my peers will take my decision to defend my home more seriously. I’ll have to think on this.

Thinking always leads me to Elune’s teachings. I met a Priestess name Rija. She didn’t seem like the other Priestesses in the Temple. Rija was very confident in our people as a whole. Between her and the Warden I hope more people answer the call to defend our land. She was rather easy to talk to, for an older lady. She’s got some sort of wisdom that is intriguing. Rija offered to let me tag along on one of her many trips to other Alliance cities. It would be good to see the other races’ faith first hand, and with an expert!

~ It's good to be home again ~

Kalah drags her feet as she nears the small building where she is staying. She glances to her journal as she drops into her soft bed. The exhausted elf manages to tear off her faceguard and gives it a drop to the ground. Kalah shut her eyes and thinks, Just going rest my eyes for a couple minutes before..

Or so she thought.

A line of heavily plated soldiers stand at attention in a small stone courtyard tucked away in the Warrior’s Terrace. Their feet tucked neatly together and hands folded into each other at their back. Every soldier stands upright, shoulders back, tabards displayed proudly in the setting sun’s rays. It is a practiced and perfected stance. Silver or amber, every eye is trained on a pair of soldiers exiting a stone compound. The first soldier carries a long, tightly bound roll of heavy purple cloth. The pair march towards an ancient stone spire set defiantly in the center of the courtyard. The first soldier approaches the spire and turns around to his counterpart. He extends his hands, both clasped firmly around the cloth suspending it between the heavens and weather-beaten stone. The second soldier extends her steel-plated hands to his, and together they precisely coordinate their practiced movements to unfurl the rather large Darnassian Banner. It holds taut between them for a moment before the lead soldier attaches it to a sturdy woven rope. The assistant supports the bottom of banner until it is raised out of danger of touching the ground. The female soldier steps back, and assumes a salute, watching the banner raise into the twilight of evening. In unison, the line of their peers curl their right hands into fists and move them over their chests. Their eyes follow the banner up until it reaches just below the peak of the white stone spire. With a secure knot the lead soldier faces the assembled group of soldiers. He salutes them, ending the typical morning ceremony. The line of soldiers ease out of formation and carry on with their assigned duties.

Another soldier steps from the shadows and approaches the pair, “Exemplar Stormleaf, Private Ironraven.” The pair of soldiers turn and at attention, salute the commanding officer. With a knowing smile she says, “A job well done. You two performed admirably together.”

Jalide Stormleaf replies with a nod, “It is an honor to serve beside a driven soldier. The deeds of the Ash Wardens spread far outside of Ashenvale. You mentioned your next campaign will take your group to Warsong Gulch?”

Kalah Ironraven raises her hands and waves them off in a subtle disagreeing manner, “It is my brother’s charge to defend Ashenvale, and with his group he aims to do just that. I am just one of many supporters.”

Jalide Stormleaf smirks slyly and teases, “Many of which are of Ironraven blood yes?”

Kalah Ironraven takes a moment to breathe before she offers a stern rebuttal, but is quickly cut off by the officer, “Another topic for another day.” She slightly shifts her weight and turns to Kalah and speaks in an authoritative tone, “Private Kalah Ironraven, I summoned you here to personally approve your training under Exemplar Jalide Stormleaf until he deems completed in full.”

Kalah absolutely beams a wide smile as she bows respectfully, “Thank you so much. I won’t let you down.”

The officer turns to the Exemplar and comments, “If there are any problems or requests for equipment, pass them to me. Dismissed.”

Jalide and Kalah turn in unison and begin to walk off towards another building. He comments, “It’ll be fulfilling to pass what I know to another infantry division unit.”

Kalah remarks, “When I heard we were going to Warsong Gulch, I thought of no better way to greet the Silverwing Sentinels.” She leans for the door and opens it for the Exemplar.

Jalide nods in thanks and replies as he walks in, “We will get you a smaller flag until you are ready for your own Battle-Standard. For today we will simply work on the history and basics. You’ll begin to see what you’re really getting into.”

Kalah gently walks through the lush power layer of snow in the vast wintery landscape of Winterspring. She approaches a small house, tucked back on the edges of Starfall Village. She pulls the bottom part of her hood down. She calls out, "Hello.. Min'da, An'da... you decent?" A sly smirk twists the fabric of her mask as her mind drifts to the last time she walked in on her brother and his mate.

Beliria looks up from the box she's filling. She steps to the entrance and opens the door as she looks outside into the snow-drenched yard. "Kalah?"

Kalah grins as she trots up. The memories flood back to her as she remembers what it was like as a little gurl to trot up much the same. The strap on her heavy training staff digs into her armor with every step and reminds her of where she is. "I'm home!"

Beliria smiles faintly, though there's warmth in her eyes, as she holds out an arm, the other hand still firmly holding onto the door, "Well, come in, then, Kalah!" Her daughter then slips in and pulls the rest of her hood down, leaving the winter outside. Beliria shuts the door against the lightly-falling snow and turns on her heel. She appraises her daughter with a fond nod before she reaches over and squeezes her shoulder, "Welcome back."

Kalah grins eagerly and looks around the room, "How's packing? Seen dad?" The typical Kaldorei room is mostly filled with wooden boxes and large canvas sacks. There are neatly-arranged weapons and armor on the floor.

“It's three-times easier than the packing of your An'da's forge, I'll say that.”

The youngling leans in to give her mother a warm hug, "I bet, how are you?"

Beliria presses her lips lightly against the crown of Kalah's head as her daughter hugs her. She wraps her arms lightly around the girl briefly. "I'm very well. Your brother seems to be in good health and making something of himself. And how are you? I heard you had trouble.” Her voice takes on a stern quality to it as she comments again, “Trouble you've not yet told me about.”

Kalah hums lightly trying to lighten the mood and releases the hug. She has some difficulty with the staff, but manages it off and to prop it up in the corner. Soon afterward the rapier joins next to the staff. "Y'know min'da.. orcs and stuff."

Beliria 's jaw tightens, "Yes, I do know orcs." She simply stands there and waits, staring at Kalah.

Kalah absolutely beams a toothy smile, trying desperately to change the subject, "But that's not why I came back to interrupt your packing."

“No? Because I expect to know more of the encounter.”

Kalah’s mind flashes with all her recent conflicts. She tries to hide with with a sly grin, “Ah well.. which one?” She looks away trying to seem more interested in the various boxes and armor sets.

Beliria fixes her daughter with a warning look. “The -orcs-, Kalah.”

Kalah frowns lightly, no longer being able to resist her mother. "There are many Orcs Min'da.. but there is one that is particularly annoying."

Beliria hums lightly following along.

“His name is Daichi, a Blademaster. He's harrased me multiple times, but the first time was the worst.”

“I'll remove him.”

Kalah motions with her hands, "No Min'da. He's mine.. I can take him."

Beliria frowns, "Kalah."

Kalah understands that tone and shakes her head lightly, "It doesn't matter. I'm not interested in him anymore. He thinks I'm a child that he is sculpting into a fighter. I wish to prove him wrong, is all.”

“And you do not intend to fight him again -- he is not your teacher.”

“I don't.. ugh.. this is hard to explain..”

Beliria waits with a disciplined patience. "Then would you like to sit while you try to explain? Are you hungry?"

Kalah moves around the boxes to a small table and chair, “Yes please.” After a moment to collect her thoughts she responds to the matter at hand, “What I'm trying to say, is that this has been a long time past.” Her mother prepares a small plate of cheese slices, nuts, and dried fruit. She sets it on the table before her daughter with a cup of hot tea before taking her own seat. “He threatens me now and then, but all the times we've both been with others.”

Beliria drums her fingertips on her knees thoughtfully.

Kalah slips off her gloves and removes her shoulders and wide cloak. She then takes a couple bits of nuts and fruit, poping them into her mouth. After a quiet moment passes she continues, “Next time we see each other, I want to prove to him that.. apart from him.. I have grown up, stronger, more disciplined.”

The woman's voice is surprisingly calm for the following declaration. “If you fail, and he beats you -- the next time he threatens you, I will kill him.”

Kalah sips from her hot tea. She smiles and hums as she remembers the familiar taste of mother’s tea. The thought is passing as she is reprimanded by her mother, “He retreated out of Ashenvale after a spat with Anthrion.”

“Good.”

“He's since returned. I had hoped he learnt something, but it seems if it didn't stick.”

“They're brutes, Little Moon. They never learn.”

Kalah looks down into her cup as her mind weighs heavily with their last meeting, "He's already sworn next time we fight, will be to the death."

Kalah’s mother frowns sternly, “Do I need to forbid you, formally, from entering into such an arrangement?”

The youngling is quick to reply and stumbles over her words, “No! I mean, of course not. I know. When he left.. I was glad.. Now that he's back..” As the last words leave her mouth, she frowns in thought. She tries to cover it up by drinking her tea.

”Kalah.”

Kalah removes her cup from her lips to meet her mother’s gaze.

“Do not give in to this savage's threats.”

Kalah nods and confidently replies, “I'm not, I won't.” She then gathers more fruit and nuts, popping a couple into her mouth.

“Good. Now that that's settled... what did you come here for?”

Kalah swallows down her food before replying. "With everything that's going on.. Orcs, demons, the Ash Wardens, Exemplar training.. all my friends..” She then punctuates the ending of her sentence, “I am ready."

A big smile, probably the warmest the woman has worn in years, crosses Beliria’s face before she quickly adopts a gentle neutral expression, "Are you sure? It is a heavy commitment, Kalah."

Anthrion sifts his way through the snow silently, a gauntlet peaking out of his cloak to intertwine with one of Nuadon's own. Together, they would proceed to the lonely house.

Kalah grins happily, "Of course. Have you known me to make decisions without overly thinking about it? Remember I spent a year trying to fig--" The sound of plate knocking against the heavy wooden door echoes through the house, interrupting the young woman. She peers at the door.

Beliria holds up a hand to Kalah as she raises from her chair to cross over to the door. "Hold that thought." She then opens the door and nods to the two snow-covered individuals on the step. "Anthrion. Nuadon.”

The Warden tips his helmet to the woman. "May we?" He motioned further inside.

“Yes, come inside.”

Nuadon's hood is rightly covered with snow, weighing it down somewhat over her eyes. She lifts a hand to wave. The youngling sees the wave and replies in kind.

Anthrion eases inside, hands splitting from Nuadon's in order to rid of his snow-coated helm.

“Overlook the mess as we're packing. Your father goes to pack a piece of armor or a sword and instead sits down in a corner inspecting every last detail and recounting the exact hour in which it was made.” Kalah giggles softly at her mother’s accurate description as she continues, “I wish I could say his forge was in much better packed condition.”

Nuadon shakes her hooded head free of the white stuff, not un-like a saber ridding itself of water. She then trots the couple steps after her mate, lowering her hood.

Anthrion shakes his head out as the helm's dismissed, soon looking to his mother with a smirk. "Good old dad... Don't worry, I'll give you two a hand."

Kalah goes back to fruit and nut munching. She follows it up with the rest of her tea.

“Have a seat.”

Anthrion tips his head to the woman once more, easing closer to the table. he considers his options - the bench, the bed, or the stool. Considering the bed, he would shudder and rest on the nearby shelf instead. Nuadon follows him and offers, "I would be happy to aid as well." She assures Beliria as she enters with a nod.

Beliria smiles faintly at the two, "The assistance is appreciated, thank you."

Kalah smiles happily at the pair as they get settled, "Ishnu'alah." Nuadon waves over at Kalah with a shier smile than normal. A result of being in this family's home.

Anthrion tips his head for a third time. "Fairing well in the cold, Kalah?" He grins lightly.

The hostess calls out over the conversation, “Would you two care for anything? Food? Tea? I'm sure we have something here.”

Kalah smiles proudly as she considers the previous topic, “I wouldn't consider anywhere else.”

At the silence, Beliria presumes they require nothing. She returns her attention to her youngest, "So...you're ready."

Kalah nods once. "Yes."

Nuadon tilts her head a bit, ears twitching slightly in consideration of the moment.

Anthrion looks to the two, brow aloft as he rises from some off train of thought.

Beliria taps a forefinger against her own facial tattoo thoughtfully, "And your motif?"

“I'd have yours, Min'da.”

Beliria 's facial expression softens quite considerably as she smiles, "I would be honored by this."

Anthrion blinks once, twice, a smile soon pulling along the corners of his mouth as he takes a guess at the topic at hand.

Kalah makes it a point to smile proudly to her mother, “ Someday I will be a great leader like yourself. I wouldn't have it any other way.”

Nuadon smiles as well, pulling her knees up a bit. She leans slightly against Anthrion in the d'aww of the moment.

Beliria is left speechless for a moment.

Kalah tears her eyes from her stunned mother, and attempts to break the ice by looking to her empty tea cup. She grabs it and waggles it breaking the silence, "More please?"

Anthrion 's armored hand curls about Nuadon's shoulders, pulling her close as he looked with pride to the younger sister.

Beliria snaps from her moment of intense motherly pride. “Of course.” She retrieves the teapot and fills Kalah's cup to nearly full. “May I ask when?”

Kalah can't help but smile as she reaches for her tea. “Before we leave Winterspring. This is my birthplace. It seems fitting, yes?” Kalah sips from her tea and sets it back down.

“It would, yes.”

Kalah’s older brother comments, “Hopefully you haven't already packed what's needed for it.”

Beliria nods to a small, old wooden box just behind Anthrion. Despite its age, it appears to be well-cared for, and much care has been given to ensure the enduring quality of the carvings and paintings on its surface. “It was to be the last thing I packed.” Beliria spares her daughter a warm, pride-filled smile.

Kalah softly coos at the consideration. Her mind swells with thoughts of her mother being proud for her decision. “We could begin now.. it is the main reason why I returned. Or we could wait for Dad.. if he'd even have the patience to watch..” She snickers as she thinks about her absent-minded father.

Nuadon blinks, then turns to peer at the box. She studies it a few moments, her own thoughtful, small smile forming.

Beliria does not seem all-to-amused by the thought, "While I would like to say he would, he could hardly sit through your sister's."

Nuadon can't help a soft comment to Anthrion. Amused.

Beliria stands up, crosses over to Anthrion and looms, "If you will hand me the box, Anthrion."

Anthrion 's expression loses its smile, to some degree, instead biting at his bottem lip. Once more that quickly fades as his mother nears. He would nod, soon turning about to fetch the box.

Kalah smiles lightly, "I have yet to met her.. how many other siblings do I have?"

“Five.”

Anthrion passes the box off to his mother, careful not to wound it with his metal gauntlet.

Beliria takes the box and holds it gently against her stomach. She looks between her son and daughter-in-law for a moment before turning on her heel to look at Kalah as she walks to her bed, "Come."

Kalah leans down in her chair and works off her boots. She then rises and lightly pads over to her mother.

Beliria sets the box down on the mattress and sits. Once she's settled, she pats the bed beside her, "Lay down here, please."

Kalah climbs into her parents’ bed, and lies on her back as she prepares to set her head into her mother’s lap. She peers up quietly in awesome reverence for what is about to take place.

Beliria rests Kalah's head on her lap and smoothes her daughter's hair with one hand in another rare, tender moment. She opens the box beside her and removes a black stone with a hollow groove in its center. “Did I ever tell you of the night you were born, Little Moon?” She then takes a stick of black ink and grinds it in smooth, practiced strokes against the black stone. Beliria glances to Nuadon, "Will you retrieve some snow from outside? A bowlful, I'd say, and bring it to a melt in here."

Kalah looks up to her Min'da with a quiet sigh of relief. She softly whispers, "I would hear it again..”

Nuadon watches quietly, ears perked up. They twitch a bit at the start of the story and she glances away for a flitting moment. She blinks as Beliria speaks, sitting up a bit in attentiveness. A curt nod and she stands. Bowl is gotten, and filled with fresh, unspoiled snow from the side of the house. She strides back in, placing the bowl on the wooden corner of the bed.

Kalah softly grins at Nuadon and Beliria smiles appreciatively. She continues the story softly, “It was snowing, much as it always is here, but it was light -- you know, the type you used to think were petals.”

Nuadon peers down to Kalah with a sheepish grin, then steps back toward the table. She watches and listens from there.

Beliria gradually adds snow to the dried ink on the stone. She retrieves a long piece of bone -- long-since stained by age and centuries-old ink -- that may have once belonged to a saber. She mixes the ink and the snow with its tip. Kalah watches and studies intently. She thinks to herself, Someday I’ll get to do this too..

“And the whole time, I kept thinking Elune help me, this child is going to be the death of me, but your father was so patient, so kind, and he opened the window so that I could see the snow-petals falling outside. And when you were born I thought Elune herself had touched your face, you were such a beautiful, gentle baby.” Beliria wipes off the bone with a dark cloth from the box. She dips it back into the ink as she retrieves a small mallet-like instrument. She whispers, "You are going to do great things, Little Moon. You are going to make us proud." The Ironraven matron presses the end of the sharpened bone to her daughter’s face, starting above her bow, and begins to tap the mallet in sharp, practiced rhythms. Kalah 's fingertips twitch as she begins. She slowly closes both hands into fists and keeps still.

Beliria is very focused on the task at hand, though she says softly to Nuadon, "When did you receive yours, Nuadon?"

Nuadon still watches, a gentle statue over by the wall. “T'was so many centuries ago I do not quite recall. I was far older than Kalah, though. Whenever I figured out I was not meant to be a lithe huntress.”

Beliria nods at this as she continues to form the outline of one of the glaives on Kalah's face. "My mother bestowed mine upon me on the eve of my induction into the Sentinels. That seems...so long ago." A pondering frown graces Kalah's lips.

Nuadon responds, “...My mentor in shield-work bestowed mine, though my mother was present.”

“Oh?”

Beliria pauses after the initial outline has been etched. She dips a cloth into the partially-melted snow and dabs gently at Kalah's face. “This can commemorate my decision to become an Exemplar.” She smiles again and kinda points to the corner where a thick, heavy training staff is propped up.

Nuadon peers across to the wall. "My mother was a priestess, only vaguely a warrior. It fit better that the woman who aided me in discovering my first calling in battle to do them. And it can, yes."

“Yes, your mentor was an excellent choice. It is quite an honor to be the Hand -- I've performed a few of these for those who are not my daughters.” Beliria dips the bone into the ink and begins outlining the glaive on the other side of Kalah's face.

Kalah flinches her fingertips again as she begins anew on the other side. She comments softly, "I am blessed to have both in my own mother."

Nuadon keeps her tranquil gaze on the wall and window, ears softly twitching as voices speak.

In due time, Beliria finishes the second outline. She dips the cloth into the bowl of cold water, the snow having since completely melted, and she dabs at Kalah's face again, surveying her handiwork. Kalah blinks a couple times after she dabs her eyes softly. Her mother continues to speak softly to her daughter, “I am very proud of you. One girl who was to be a Sentinel cried from the moment the bone touched her skin. She swiftly decided to be an innkeeper after that.”

Kalah snickers histerically, trying her best to retain her composure. “This is nothing compared to what I've been though lately..” She exhales contently.

Her mother cautions softly, “Don't think I've forgotten that you have not given me the full story just because this is your Rite Day.” Nuadon raises her eyebrow inquisitively at the comment.

Beliria dips the bone back into the ink and begins to hammer gently away, filling in the first glaive now. Kalah closes her eyes as Beliria works and after a moment speaks out, “You know.. An'da better cave in and forge me some armor now..” She grins lightly.

“If he does not, I will persuade him.” She then proceeds to filling in the second glaive.

“Good idea too.. you know how much of a target Exemplars are..”

“Your father and I will not let you go without excellent armor. I won't allow it.”

Kalah hums happily in response and remains still.

Beliria dips the cloth into the water and dabs at the fresh tattoos, cleaning her skin of blood and excess ink. She softly states, “I am proud of you for stepping confidently onto your path.”

Kalah blinks after the cloth passes over her silver eyes. She blinks a couple times, still lying still. Her eyes search her mother's face, taking in the moment. Her eyes begin to glaze and she swallows. She whispers, "I know.."

Beliria takes the bone and dips it into the ink as she goes to fill in small area's she's missed. “You must always be worthy of these markings, Little Moon.”

Kalah smiles in acknowledgement, and remains still until she is finished.

Beliria wipes the end of the bone clean and sets it back into the case. She sets the stone down and reaches into the box to retrieve a small green-glass jar. She opens it and dips her forefinger into the salve before rubbing the soothing balm over Kalah's fresh tattoos.

Kalah sighs contently as the balm touches her. Her mother warns, “Try not to touch them save to put ointment on them. In three days we will sit here again and re-ink them.”

“I will stay at the Village Inn, then.”

“I would offer you a place here, but as you can see the disarray...”

Kalah turns her head with a slight grin. She goes to sit up and cuddles lovingly next to her mother. She presses a quick motherly kiss over Kalah's hair as she appraises the young elf's tattoos. "Oh, look at you."

Kalah smiles proudly, "There a mirror around here unpacked?"

Beliria nods to a particularly shiny piece of armor, "That may work."

Kalah slips off the bed and goes for the armor. She returns to her spot, right next to her mother. She leans her face over Beliria's shoulder for both of them to look into the armor. She grins into the reflection. Their resemblance cuts Kalah to the heart, "I should cut my hair again.. it's getting long."

“You have beautiful hair, Kalah. I will advise that shorter hair is safer.”

Kalah reaches her arm behind Beliria and gives her a gentle squeeze. “I agree. I was growing it out to look older but.. this is so much more fitting.”

Beliria pats Kalah's back. "You have no need to look older. You've completed your rite."

Kalah grins happily, a little color flowing to her cheeks.

Kalah sits at a small campfire in the late evening hours. She finishes the last bit of juice at the end of her dinner. The youngling reaches for her neglected journal and pen that she brought out with her. She flips to the first empty page and touches the pen to the paper. The woman pauses, and lifts the pen back to to rest the butt of it against her chin in thought. She flips back to the first page and skims over it for a moment. She turns a couple more pages and a note falls out. Picking up the note, she unfolds it to re-read it. After she reads the last few words on the note, her gaze drifts towards her nearby home.

The woman’s lower lip quivers in quiet contemplation. She steps towards the fire and holds the note over the flames for a moment before letting it go. It drifts down against the current of hot air before being consumed in the flames. The sound of a single page being torn out of the journal breaks the quiet sound of the forest. The broken page lofts down into the fire much the same. Without the same warning, the rest of the journal flops down into the fire. An explosion of ash and red hot embers drifts upward and harmlessly floats into the dew-glazed grass.

The soldier steps back into the barracks and finds her way to her foot locker. She opens it to scan her belongings. Her hands reach for a white leather tunic. She holds it up before slowly putting it back down. Her own thoughts swirl about her mind, Not going to run.. She begins to organize her belongings, starting with her warm Winterspring leathers. She sets her moonglaive, etched with snowflakes, on top of the set with care. Her hands move to another set of leather bindings, these a deep red. Tirius… She moves to run her hand over a thick and heavy training staff lodged in the roof of the footlocker. Next, she turns her attention to a the rest of her current wear; her exemplar armor. Her mind drifts to a happier, simpler time as she removes the helmet. Soon setting it to the side, the young warrior takes up her Darnassian Tabard with both hands. She softly speaks to herself, ”It is time to refocus.. to finish my training. But..” She replaces the tabard, and moves to her Winterspring set again. Kalah begins to set the homemade leather garb to her bed with care. ”Perhaps a short trip to my homeland to find myself again.” With a quiet hum of thought she adds into the silence, ”But first I should clear my head. The Druids of Moonglade are a tranquil lot.. and I shouldn’t run into anyone I know. Must find my center again before returning to my friends again.”

A thin line of smoke drifts from a lonely campfire in the northern reaches of Winterspring. Garbed in warm leathers hand-stitched by mother, Kalah keeps warm next to the fire. She idly pokes the fire with a stick before simply tossing it into the fire. Her hand returns to the inside of her half warden-like cloak. The woman’s face is protected by a hood and face wrap as her silver eyes drift upwards. It is a calm night with the stars peeking from above the wispy clouds. A beam of moonlight stretches across the landscape, save for a nightly shadow being cast over Kalah’s camp from the shelter of a tree.

A loud growl breaks the silence. The lone woman unfolds her arms to press a hand lightly to her stomach. It is the second evening she’s gone without food. Kalah returns her attention to the fire with a subtle sigh. She weighs the decision to include a fast with the trip to her homeland and it leads her to believe it will lead her to spiritual enlightenment. It is one of the first exercises she learned from the Temple. Her mind recalls the Priestess who taught her, Fasting is a primal rejection of self, youngling. The pangs of hunger will try to overwhelm your will.. and that is when you pray. Elune will bless your steadfast commitment to her. And when you break the fast, give thanks for the food you eat for it is indeed a gift from your Goddess. Despite her hunger, Kalah remains next to the fire. She gently places another stick into the flames and lowers her head in silent prayer.

The clash of swords locking mid-combat rings out outside the peaceful town of Dolanaar. Two figures, both clad in foreign metals stand wavering with strength. Dual Darnassian tabards brand each as a defender of the city. The first, wrapped loosely around the larger male Kaldorei is sun-bleached and worn with the passage of time. The other appears washed, pressed and well taken care of. This one carries a polished metal pin. Private Ironraven.

"Move your hand here, and drive down with your sword.. Then step forward, and follow through with your elbow."

"They won't expect it, focusing on their weapon?"

"Exactly. If you connect.. then jerk towards your shoulder- see how I have caught your guard?"

Kalah chuckles and withdraws from the lock as she catches on, "Disarmed." She steps back with her right foot to take up another ready stance.

The man eases slower back up and then into his own wide stance. "You pick up a new weapon quick."

A sly grin is all that is spared before they're at it again. The two dance that ancient dance. Experience versus vigor. Wisdom versus innovation. The friendly training spar continues well into the morning hours atop the Great Tree.

A courier finds Kalah Ironraven at the Astranaar dock. She looks up curiously to his call and accepts a two-piece package with an accompanying letter. She tips the boy and sets the package to the side before opening the letter.

Spoiler:

Kalah,

I hope you like these. I'm sure it'll look lovely on you.

Franziska Shadowstar
Sentinel of Darnassus and the Ash Wardens

With a content smile Kalah returns the note back into the envelope and slips it into her belt. Her hands move for the first, smaller package and takes her sweet time opening it. It reveals a lovely bracelet. A string of white moonstone beads secured by two leather cords. The small centerpiece is wooden carving of a Purple Lotus, a flower native to Ashenvale. Kalah rolls the lovely bracelet in her hand taking in its features before sliding it over her bare left hand. She gives her wrist a gentle shake and smiles at the trinket.

Kalah's silvery gaze moves from her wrist to the larger package. A simple wooden box lies underneath the plain red wrapping paper. As the woman thumbs open the box it bursts open! A flash of green blankets the unsuspecting soldier as she reels back, flailing for a moment. "Elune!!" she inwardly gasps as the thing drops to the dock with a metal clank. Kalah's braceleted hand moves for what looks ot be a toad? The new creature ribbits and tries to jump away as it flies through the air within Kalah's grip. She squeezes the frog curiously only to find its metal skin flexing under the test. "Franziska.." she murmurs to herself. "You've really out done yourself this time." She sets the lifelike toad back down and spends a few minutes memorized by it.

"Let's see how you do on a patrol little guy." And with that Kalah rises and slips her helmet back over her head. Soon the gauntlets return to each arm as she completes the set. A hand reaches over her shoulder to make sure her mechanical battle-standard is secured. With a nod of approval and her other hand resting on the hilt of her longsword, the soldier heads off the pier. Kalah looks down as the mechanical toad chirps and follows. An amused smirk is spared before she looks up again and heads out of town.

This patrol only proves interesting when a lone figure is set against the path. An Orc. A few yards on this side of the Falfarren. Not quite as far as the nearby Silverwing Outpost though. The Orc simply stands there with his arms crossed. His thin frame, wolf mask and that amber surcoat sets him apart as Daichi. Kalah slows to a stop and declares. "Daichi."

The Orc maintains his statuesque pose. "Kalah."

"What are you doing?"

"Traveling to the places that made me who I am now."

Kalah looks above Daichi. Her eyes scan the area for a moment before returning to the Orc. "Are you preparing for something?"

"I am. Not what you think, but I am preparing."

Kalah pauses for another moment before asking flatly. "Do your people still suffer from the drought?"

"They do. The elements are getting worse, even attacking out cities."

"I have seen the reports from the human lands of the same thing."

"Then it is getting worse all around the world."

Kalah changes back to her previous topic again, "What are you preparing for?"

Daichi locks eyes with Kalah. "War."

The breeze catches Kalah's battle-standard. The fabric sways with the slight suggestion. "I understand."

The orcs hair sways in the breeze. Daichi stands where he is, letting his arms drop to his side. Beside him is a wrapped package, chest high. Kalah 's shoulders rise as she shifts her weight. Her voice switches to be less confrontational. "What is next to you?"

"My Sashimono."

It was a short tone swap. "An odd thing to wrap."

Daichi offers a shrug. "I felt that it would be proper to wrap it for now."

"Why, Orc?"

"I did not expect to see you again." Daichi pulls the wrapped flag up and unwraps it. He pulls the flag free and wraps it around his shoulders. Without a word he pulls the now silver blade free from his back, spreading his feet wide.

Kalah grins and laughs under her breath. "No- I thought you gone from my life. Yet here we are again." Kalah leaves her battles-standard strapped to her own back. However she draws a pristine longsword from her side. "I know there is a story behind the color of your sword."

"It is made from the scraps of the armor of the Dread Lord I had killed. It's proven to be lighter and sharper then my old blade."

Kalah quirks her head to the side as she takes her own stance. "Rija aided you in that."

"Rija added in killing one of the two. The second myself and my brothers slayed without her help."

Kalah glances to her mechanical companion in a moment of distracted thought. It is all the time the Blademaster needs. Daichi fades from view in an instant. He forms close behind her, right hand bringing the blade around in a wide arc with deadly skill and precision. Kalah turns again to the Orc- who is no longer there. The clash of metals rings out in the forest as his blade bites into her armor. She is forced into turning and brings her left gauntlet for the Orc's face in retaliation.

The gauntleted sucker punch hits home and sends the Blademaster stumbling to the side. He spits out a tooth, grunting. He steps back towards the girl quickly, swinging his balde over head before straight down. Kalah brings her sword to meet his. The virgin blade receives its first notch as she needs both hands to parry the attack. Quickly she moves to spin closer to the Orc as her sword follows her rotation towards Daichi's side.

Daichi moves with the elf. He slides back, giving himself room to move the large blade over, catching the sword along it's edge. Daichi steps back once more, shifting his grip before pushing against Kalah's sword, moving to over power and knocker her off balance.

Kalah is forced back backpedaling with a bit of grace in her step. The Orc matches her step for step and presses his attack. He brings his blade down and around, swiping for the elf's side, his good eye focused intently on the challenge. Kalah moves her sword to intercept though it is at an odd, struggling angle. Another clash of metals heralds a successful strike. Kalah's elbow juts out to fight the Orc off for some space to maneuver. It is to little effect as the Orc pushes forward, swinging his blade twice more from the side before bringing it over his head, slashing down in a three hit combo!

The soldier is battered as she reels to the side. The last strike crushes into Kalah's pauldron, only after slicing the lower cartilage of her left ear. Kalah then drives the tip of her sword for Daichi's chest in desperation. Daichi slides back. The blade strikes true, piercing into his unarmored chest. Blood leaks out of his tabard as a hand grips it.

Daichi growls under his breath before looking back to the girl. He steps forward and pivots, spinning in place as he Bladestorms. Kalah manages to parry the first strike, but it only knocks her own sword away as he continues. A flurry of expert attacks shreds the Exemplar's tabard as she's knocked off her feet and onto the mechanical toad with a crunch. Daichi stops his spin and continues forward, using the momentum of it to bring his blade down upon the fallen girl.

Kalah brings her arms up to parry the attack, but the blade continues into her other shoulder. The edge of his steel nocks into the crevice of her armor. Giving him the strike, she lashes out for his waist from the side. Daichi stumbles back a step, then another. His stomach is slashed open. The deep cut causes blood to pour out. Daichi wobbles back one more step, panting.

Kalah huffs with the success. She rises and yells out, "Bandu Thoribas!" Her hands bring up her blade to hack for the Orc as she closes the gap again. Daichi weakly brings his blade up in defense, but it easily gets knocked away. Blood sprays out as the blade drops to the ground. Daichi drops to his knees, his single eye gazing hard at the elf.

Kalah jerks her sword back after the strike and pants in the moment of respite. She swallows and takes a step back as her chest heaves. She grits her teeth as she just stares. Daichi hands slide off of his knee, eye still gazing hard. His skin pales as blood pools around him though. Kalah lowers her guard as she moves to walk behind the Orc, a hand reaching out for his Sashimomo. His hand shoots out, taking a hold of Kalah's wrist. "Do not.. Dishonor my people.." His face twitches with pain as he swoons forward. Kalah's hand moves from his banner to his torn and bloodied tabard to support her adversary. Daichi remains conscious just enough to give his final words. "Bring my body.. Home.." Kalah finds her grip loosening as his weight pulls Daichi out of her grasp. She looms over the Orc before sheathing her notched sword. Daichi lands onto the soiled path. Slowly his heart stops beating, and the young orc dies.

Kalah walks around the Orc and takes his wrist. Kneeling down she pulls his body onto her beaten pauldron. The warm crimson flow seeps into her armor's padding and down her skin. With struggling legs she drives upward as much as she can. The first step falters, but she doesn't give up. Kalah makes a slow and grueling trek down the path. Between her injuries, heavy armor and now dead weight it is a difficult task. She continues down the path with the weight of her deed not only physically, but mentally bearing down on her. Kalah slows to a stop as she spots an Orcish camp. With a huff of relief she kneels down and actually sets the dead orc gently to the ground. Kalah moves her hand behind her cloak, and pulls out a bloodied boomerang. She winds up her arm as she rises, and lets the wooden projectile fly. The swift projectile clips a branch and alerts the guards to the flying object. It returns to Kalah, who catches it with a practiced skill. Quickly she kneels down and tucks the druidic boomerang into Daichi's Sashimomo. Kalah rises and jogs away from the shouting orcish voices.

Exhausted and injured, Kalah slows to a limp as she nears the safe haven of the Silverwing Outpost. One of the Sentinels spots her and runs to her aid. It's finally over...