The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Northwind - Skin Thieves Feedback
[Image: Northwindpicture1.png]
[Image: NorthwindHeader-1.png]

Heya!

I know we're not close to being finished with the event, but I really feel like I'm getting a ton of content in thus far. So I'd like to put up this thread to take in some feedback! I suppose for both me and Grak, though he's welcome to make his own thread if he'd rather.

I've been having a ton of fun with this, and I hope everyone else has as well.

So yeah. Tell me what you've thought thus far!

Of particular interest to me is the latest (and first) dungeon, the Silverbrook Warehouse. As well, I'd like to hear how the crowd-based versions of the monsters have been doing, and Greed's dealings. But anything would be interesting for me to read!
I feel like the monsters aren't quite as.. terrifying as they should be. Atleast, they aren't out and about making people scared senseless of going outside.

They show up, snap a neck, and off they go!

I'll have some more useful feed back later, I'm certain.
While I think it was a good idea to forego [individual] intrigues (did ya -see- the size of that sign-up list? Woooo-ee!) I think a PM for the starting Skin Thieves would've been beneficial. A "So I can't help but notice you're not yourself" introduction for those who may not be familiar with the concept as it is used in CotH: What can a Skin Thief do, how are more Skin Thieves made, when do the Skin Thieves "start", etc.

However, as this is your side of the coin, Rigley, I'll say this: Northwind certainly got creepier since last I saw it. Love the atmosphere and environment. I also enjoy the "everything is trying to destroy you" element of pairing the Skin Thieving with Northwind. That was clever. That's all I have in the ways of feedback for ST-Northwind, as I've not seen them monsters at play, yet.
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
(08-07-2012, 04:39 PM)Felix Wrote: I feel like the monsters aren't quite as.. terrifying as they should be. Atleast, they aren't out and about making people scared senseless of going outside.

Yeah. That giant black crawling shadow was terrifying and I'd love to see it used.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
..I feel like my response was typed wrong.

I mean they aren't quite active as much as I'd like, but when they do come out, it's quite impressive!

EDIT: Speaking too soon!

Wrath is very active right now!
I loved it, honestly. I'm sad I can't really commit myself to it further.

There is one gripe however, and that's the sheer massive size of the event. It's probably become more tame, however that initial day I felt like I couldn't even keep track of my own thoughts, let alone what was happening around me.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

All that I say is that I'm grateful that you're being patient with a constantly DCing nub like me. Thank you.

Gratitude aside, while I am having fun, as said before, this place feels so crowded and, quite honestly? Too fast paced. Not as in the story being fast and action-packed, moreso that too much is happening in such a short time.

But that could be just me being used to slower-paced survival events.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
I admit, the sheer scale of the event has made it very difficult to process at times. But otherwise, the event is fantastic and excellently DM'd. I actually kind of wish for more lulls in the action, to be honest, or to have the action more spread out.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
My squeals of terror over TeamSpeak probably speak well for themselves by now.
Hmmm.

I suppose the issue is that I like to keep Wrath about frequently then-- when you actually look at it, the actual even progression has been likely very minimal, in terms of finding new things and areas.

In a way I think it might be me trying to make the environment too much in the form of how I perceive horror works; oppressive, unfriendly, constantly a threat. In reality I don't think most of the event is -major-... but then again, it's something people react to. In all earnesty Wrath isn't usually around for any plot-intensive purpose, just one to keep people occupied, and especially to give people on at different hours a feel of the event. I suppose it shows that Northwind as an event series is much more geared towards the shorter-term single person events, since while I think that environment can be awesome for a fair amount of time, I think it can become taxing if kept up for a great length.

...Hm.

So what should be done?

In terms of crowding, I can't help that too much. People find strength in groups, and often prefer to be around the main group instead of being out alone.

On another note, I've noticed that my use of Wrath has caused something of a revolving door in terms of deaths of thieves, re-thiefing, so forth. I'm kinda wondering how I might fix this-- I know I may make certain creatures (Commander Haimen for one) end up as ones which actually carry a character warning, at this point.

...So yep.
Do more than Skin Thief-ing if Wrath gets you! Maybe the character gets sent into a crazy mini-dungeon private purgatory, or maybe it just assaults their mind with crazy, or just flat out beats the tar out of them physically.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
(08-08-2012, 12:32 AM)CappnRob Wrote: crazy mini-dungeon private purgatory,

You're just suggesting that because you would have had, like, five so far!

(08-08-2012, 12:32 AM)CappnRob Wrote: assaults their mind with crazy,

A possibility, though that's meant to be there already.

(08-08-2012, 12:32 AM)CappnRob Wrote: beats the tar out of them physically.

Can do.

------

That being said, I've something of an idea now. The Commander will need to make an announcement tomorrow.
WELL RIGLEY

IF YOU STOPPED SPAWNING WRATH DIRECTLY BEHIND MY WHEN I TRY TO RUN FROM HIM

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN SO MUCH.

Personally I am fond of the purgatory ideas myself. Maybe the characters get sent to a short term spirit world version of Northwind, ala Silent Hill's Other World, or some weird thing like that.

But physical ass kickings work too. Gantrithor is better at taking those
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
I'm loving what I've seen of the atmosphere, the bad guy depiction, area, all of it. I won't type all the awesome out.

(So all of my feedback has to do with the not-that-much I've gotten around to seeing. The things I'm talking about may have been adressed while I wasn't around.)

My feedback would have to do with... participant-management, I guess?

The feeling I'm getting is that players being unrealistic with their characters to get more exposure to events/attention, instead of - as would be the karmic rule of horror - being felled up, instead they get rewarded with seeing more of the event content, being at the center of attention, and basically everything they're really looking for. This, for me, kills part of the awesome mood you've set up.

To be constructive, I'd suggest:

-Bigger penalties for lack of wisdom.

Maiming. Unconsciousness for the rest of the event should be an option. etcetera. And not penalties that the player behind the character will squeal with joy to have. Part of the joy of horror is the party thinning out over time. Knowing you can lose your character/miss the event also helps simulate conservation instinct better.

-More content geared towards the players realistically playing it safe.

I know as a player that if my character realistically holes out in a house, I will miss most of the "special" content. Seems like "Oooh, let's go get close to that evidently super dangerous thing to investigate it" characters get most of the fun. It's awesome in horror flicks when the bad guys/spirits go exactly -after- the guys who stayed behind to be safe.

Not least: Sorry I got over the wall. Only asked myself if I should be able to IC after succeding (which I wasn't expecting to).

Anyway, Northwind is awesome and I'm glad to be in it!
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
DaveM Wrote:Stuff

I think this is difficult to pull off. As far as I understood the concept of Northwind itself in combination with the Skin Thieves event, sheer survival by sticking together in close groups and staying put and hidden would likely slow the event down. A lot. The objective is to find a way out in some way, and that won't be accomplished by not moving around, if that makes any sense. Limiting movement in such a way, especially for an event like this where investigation is key to progress, is a dangerous thing. I do agree that the players staying behind should get more action, but I'm not sure if giving severe penalties to exploring or investigating is a good idea.

The only way to really move the event forward if people stay put and protect themselves above all is by the DMs forcing the event to move forward. Which takes away a bit of the joy of actually provoking progress on our own, as well (and takes away from the "investigation" part of the event).

Just my thoughts on it, though.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cappn Feedback 4: Feedback 4Ever CappnRob 1 4,611 08-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Zenethen