The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Tell me about Skype RP
Seeing as things have been a little difficult for me to sit down and dedicate my time pretty exclusively to WoW RP, Skype seems like a great way to suppliment my RP experience, especially when I can even have Skype on my iPod.
But how does Skype RP go?
How's the pace, how long are posts, how's it feel, etc.
Any tips or strong feelings on it? How has Skype RP affected your experiences on CotH?

I'd kind of like to get a gist for what to expect and what others expect for a satisfying experience.
Skype RP is like any other IM RP. The pacing can be faster or slower depending on the RP itself, because you don't have the visual aid of WoW's models to set the scenes for you. At the same time, you have to be a bit more verbose, because simple actions like walking have to be dictated, but all in all, it is enjoyable!
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Whenever I do Skype RP, it's not a far cry from what I'm used to. Most of the time it's pure one-on-one RP, which is what I had consistently prior to joining CotH. For me, it can be more engaging and allow for a bit more elbow room. Each person, from what I've seen, handles it differently. I'm one to dodge lengthy first posts by establishing who will be used and what the setting shall be prior, then get the ball rolling.

If I go to a group in Skype, the best thing to do us to establish a post order prior. This keeps any confusion and "unfair advantages" from arising due to different typing speeds.

I for one enjoy Skype RP. I use it for CotH related development when I'm not at home, off the wall WoW ideas that wouldn't fly on CotH, or stuff that's in no way related to WoW in the slightest. The only real limitations come from imagination and what can be done with the written word.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
(09-14-2012, 01:25 PM)CappnRob Wrote: Skype RP is like any other IM RP. The pacing can be faster or slower depending on the RP itself, because you don't have the visual aid of WoW's models to set the scenes for you. At the same time, you have to be a bit more verbose, because simple actions like walking have to be dictated, but all in all, it is enjoyable!

I suppose part of why I ask this is because I get the sense that Skype somehow has a different feel from other IM RP. Is this true?
I think the only real difference is the UI is different from the standard messenger. Instead of one window for contacts and windows for different conversations, it's all done in one window. That can alter the feel in some way. It all depends on the preference in UI. I've had friends that refused to RP in some messengers like YIM or AIM simply because they don't like the way it looks.
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @"CappnRob"): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
(09-14-2012, 01:44 PM)SachikoMaeda Wrote: I think the only real difference is the UI is different from the standard messenger. Instead of one window for contacts and windows for different conversations, it's all done in one window. That can alter the feel in some way. It all depends on the preference in UI. I've had friends that refused to RP in some messengers like YIM or AIM simply because they don't like the way it looks.

Remember, there is a fourth button on Skype (for PC users at least) that allows each conversation/person to have their own window. So, it can be more traditional if you want it to!
Skype roleplay is great because you don't have the limitations of visuals to hold you back. Whether it's fast or slow depends entirely on who you're RPing with, though it generally goes faster than play-by-post, and slower than WoW RP because you don't have the visuals to use as a crutch.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I often encourage Skype RP with other RPers on COTH because my availability is so little for RP for me to get in-game. Skype, on the other hand, messages can be sent to the other player offline (so they can get it when they get on), and the pacing is more relaxed.

Skype also is more suitable for my own personal RP style--I can RP more than 2-3 characters at once in a single scenario, something WoW can't allow me to do! /smacked
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
A bit late to the game, but I really enjoy Skype RP; well, text-rp in general, rather. As of late I've actually been trying to run one, though I've been meeting with some pretty poor results thus far in terms of getting an active group running.

I'm actually thinking of posting on here to see if anyone'd be interested, though I'm getting a little demoralized by this point. :u
The best description of Skype RP in regards to other IMs is that Skype is the Epic RP IM. One of the best things that I find with it is that is had a text limit that is insane and very difficult to actually reach, so, if you're the kind of person who enjoys writing long posts or a large over-arching introduction then Skype is the way to go. I often use it mostly for only one-on-one RPs but with the text limit it has, it's very good when you're creating a world of epic proportions as you RP.
I learned last night that Skype is pretty handy when the server crashes in the middle of the event and all of the players involved are in the CotH skype group. Of course, there aren't the visuals that WoW provides, but the creation of a little skype group for RP rescue can work with a little improvising and imagination. I also think it'd be useful for other things, such as certain circumstances that I haven't come up with yet.
[Image: anim_500.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cappn Contemplates: Streaming and Skype! CappnRob 9 2,463 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM
Last Post: ImagenAshyun
  My Skype group Jameston 1 1,212 07-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Grakor456