The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Vladdy's Absence Thread
I'm back. No, not one of those "Oh I'll stay for a month" kind of things... I mean I'll stay as long as possible. My immediate and extended family required much of me for a few weeks. I don't want to bore you with the details about the beginning, so... I went through another 'injury'. I'm not looking for sympathy or any of that bull, and I don't want to go around saying that it was all important and consumed my entire being. I was blind. Cataracts to be exact. Now I know what you're thinking, "Oh hey, isn't that what old people get?" Yup. But I got them as well. I don't know the details, I'm not a doctor and I didn't want to know to be honest. Anyways, I tried talking to a doctor about it. The conversation essentially went like this.

Doc: Well, the only thing I can recommend is a lens implant surgery.

Me: How much would that cost?

Doc: Around $10,000 give or take.

Me: $10,000!? I'm not paying that!

At this point the wife jumped in and said I was getting the surgery. Me being the stubborn son of a gun I am started repeatedly saying "No, no, no." While the wife said, "Yes, yes, yes." Long story short, I got the surgery. Surprise surprise. So here I am.
[Image: 54079-Dr-Evil-air-quotes-lasers-gif-A6nY.gif]
Vladdy! <3
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Welcome back! :D
Vladdy, I know full well the money vs. health dilemma. I am fully grateful you got the surgery, and I am beyond happy it's a success. I wouldn't know what I'd do without vision, though I know for a fact I wouldn't return to CotH.

I hope whatever follows will be many blessings to you and your family and that the problems around the surgery will be resolved soon. Welcome back, Vladdy!
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
Well I'm glad you're back to see us, Vlad. Glad to hear that you're getting something done to help with the blindness.

Anyways, welcome back to CotH! Westfall has been awfully quiet without you.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
Welcome back!
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
Wait for it...
*Loading: 34%*
Wait a bit more...
*Loading: 57%*
It's getting there...
*Loading: 89%*
Almost there!
*Loading: 100%*

HOORRAY, VLADDY IS BACK! /cheer
I know that a good sum of you probably didn't want to hear this, but some others might have. ANYWAYS!

Now, I've gotten myself into a conundrum. My younger cousin got out of college a few months back, and he still hasn't found a decent job. He lost his job at a K-Mart a couple of towns away. But guess what? His parents don't want to take him in, and he's too proud to use welfare. I'm the closest relative, and I didn't know what to say, so I talked it over with the wife, and eventually we decided that he could stay for a month before he got a job. I hope he doesn't leech or anything, and there's the possibility that this is a grave mistake that could lead to me dealing with a whiny college graduate who didn't have the common sense to take the right classes. We're allocating him a bit of space in the basement and searching him for drugs before he gets inside of the house, so we should be relatively fine.

I'm not going to push blame here; I shouldn't have answered his phone call in the first place. But after a month, there's no way he shouldn't have a job. None at all. So I'm going to be busy for roughly...10-14 days getting him situated and nudging him to apply somewhere that he thinks is "Good." Wish me luck, hugs, kisses, prayers, whatever-you-want, etc, etc.

I'll be back as soon as possible. No buts!
Here where I live, you can job-hunt everyday, every week, for the whole month, and only half of those jobs will bother to look at your application and half of those who bother to look at your application will bother to give you an interview. Good luck with competing with hundreds of people who also got that interview only to be hired because they have more work experience than you. College graduates of this generation are having greater difficulty finding a job than the previous, especially in certain states. California is especially hit hard, where it's actually normal for someone with a fresh and new BA applying for jobs only to settle with flipping burgers because their internship/volunteer history is now useless.

Wow, am I really that jaded?

Anyway, good luck for you and your cousin!
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
(06-23-2013, 09:25 AM)Vladdy Wrote: I know that a good sum of you probably didn't want to hear this, but some others might have. ANYWAYS!

Now, I've gotten myself into a conundrum. My younger cousin got out of college a few months back, and he still hasn't found a decent job. He lost his job at a K-Mart a couple of towns away. But guess what? His parents don't want to take him in, and he's too proud to use welfare. I'm the closest relative, and I didn't know what to say, so I talked it over with the wife, and eventually we decided that he could stay for a month before he got a job. I hope he doesn't leech or anything, and there's the possibility that this is a grave mistake that could lead to me dealing with a whiny college graduate who didn't have the common sense to take the right classes. We're allocating him a bit of space in the basement and searching him for drugs before he gets inside of the house, so we should be relatively fine.

I'm not going to push blame here; I shouldn't have answered his phone call in the first place. But after a month, there's no way he shouldn't have a job. None at all. So I'm going to be busy for roughly...10-14 days getting him situated and nudging him to apply somewhere that he thinks is "Good." Wish me luck, hugs, kisses, prayers, whatever-you-want, etc, etc.

I'll be back as soon as possible. No buts!

I offer you sacrifices of only the purest virgin blood!

All hail Vletzacoatl!
I have to say it's good of you to take in a family member in need. While it can come back to burn you, at least you have the heart to say that you gave it a try. If he's actively looking for employment and engaged in job-finding, then maybe some slack can be cut for him. It's hard to find a job in this day and age, no matter what classes are there. So many people are fighting for the same spot that unless you have an 'in' with another worker, there's a good chance there's 10 other people who are also applying for that spot.

If he isn't actively looking and is content to sit around, then yeah, get that boot ready. :|
Oh man. My wife and I did this with a close friend and my own sister. Both worked out poorly. I wish you a better outcome, and to know that in any case... it matters. Only the strong can have an open heart and open doors.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
I'll be back tomorrow. I really think I got my cousin a better work ethic; lots of chores and fewer complaints. He sassed me once, so he didn't get dinner. Only a cup of dog food that he didn't touch. I kid, I kid. He's applied at multiple places, and I think he should get a job soon. Something good enough so he can continue to pay the rent in his apartment.
Vladdy returns... then I leave. I'm rather sore about that thought. Best of luck good buddy.
[Image: stonetalon-mountains.jpg?w=760]
I'll be gone for four days on a fishing trip. Once I come back? You can imagine what will happen. Anyways, we're going up to Minnesota to fish. Mosquitos will be everywhere, and we have ourselves a 'luxury' condo. Might be able to teach my kids some life lessons while up there. Lots of fish for dinner, lots of bug spray, and a lot of whining. Wish me luck.

Update on my cousin: He's gone! Got a job, still in his apartment...Turned out better than expected.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Absence Gunnash 3 2,070 01-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Altaine
  Absence Gunnash 0 1,619 01-17-2015, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Gunnash
  My Absence(s) Rosencrat 10 4,530 09-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Ural
  Squirrel's official absence thread FlyingSquirrel 3 1,928 08-30-2014, 08:36 AM
Last Post: Kretol
  Absence V2.0 Paylonas 5 1,472 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Paylonas