The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Expanding the Community Series?
Hello, reader.

Well, some might have seen the two blog posts I made, dubbed "Community Series". One about Apologizing, and the other about Introverts & Personal Space. These two blog posts have just come up because of images or videos I've read and have been spurs of the moment, but I'd love it if people could give me suggestions about things I could touch upon and perhaps hunt for some words of wisdom about.

The "Community Series" blog posts could become something pretty great if I got some help along with this. It's all to make our community better by inspiring and teaching people how to do their part in being better community members, and the lessons won't just have to apply to CotH. CotH being the second home it's become to a lot of the members, it certainly can't hurt to use it as a platform to share this kind of information, right?

So, suggestions?

Love,
Loxxy
Even though most of us here on CotH are rather open-minded, perhaps a good topic to just touch upon could be the necessary duality between open-mindedness and acceptance (accepting things/people for what they are regardless of the circumstances).
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Not to be too negative, because this is a good idea... but will the people that need this sort of thing actually read it? I know this is in the idea of expanding the community, however the community as a whole is fairly welcoming and unbiased.

Basically, what's the immediate goal for this series? To educate people on manners and communication skills that will help in the long run? It seems like a good idea, but how will this be executed? How will this be followed through? Will it just be a guide that sits here and is hoped that people will read it, or will it become something more in the future, akin to something that's shown to "rule breakers" in the hopes that they will shape up?

Thing is, something like this is needed for people that need a bit of stern enforcement. While these are good reads, again, those that'd need to read them probably won't unless they are told they have to.

Along with this, if this is something that's to "expand" our community...

That's not the problem with the community. We've all proven pretty well over time that we are accepting of practically everyone. The exception is? People with "poor" RP skills. I think we need to start a series of this that focuses on how to "Guide" others through RP, rather than turning them down and not trying to garner change.

There seems to be a general attitude towards new people that come here that aren't very skilled with roleplay or that don't have the firmest of grasps on the lore, or grammar, or anything like that. Instead of cutting them out of our cliques, we should try to invite the new people to our RP, and communicate with them how things work on CoTH, as well as try to teach them rather then deny them.

This also goes hand in hand with profiles, and working with people. That means, rather than discouraging people (Which has happened with some FH's in the past, not recently though) we should try to coach them in the right direction. Get them to a point where the profile -can- be approved, work with them. This is a much better option that leaving the person clueless and stonewalling them into being forever in the dark about what's going on.

Granted, some people will never get it. However, as a community it's still our job to try.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

@Harmonic That was the whole vision of the Mentor program. If not to change the community's opinion, at least guide our new members.
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
They really didn't have much of a practical purpose before beyond being good reading or inspiring for the people who took the time to read them. If they could be applied in a disciplinary way, that's great. It's always good to have somewhere to refer people to if there's a specific area they're failing in, but otherwise... Seeing as they're currently in my blog, they weren't originally meant to have that much of a practical purpose, no.

I also echo Rowgen. I'm open to suggestions on how we can do this in other ways or areas, though.
(01-17-2014, 11:40 AM)Rowgen Wrote: @Harmonic That was the whole vision of the Mentor program. If not to change the community's opinion, at least guide our new members.

I know. But it doesn't look like much is being done with that. If it is, it's very low key and doesn't seem to be brought to much attention, or if it is, it's not going in the direction it should with some of the people that really do struggle here one CoTH.

Feel free to correct me though, however it doesn't seem like the mentor program has much of a structure yet. Do they have a private forum? Do the mentors all actively let the new players know they are here to help? Or, do we hope they find the badge and let it be?

I think it's also something that shouldn't be for a -select- group of people. That should be something as a community we -all- do. We should all be mentors for the people that join. We should all welcome them, and try to coach them---not shun them.

Because while the mentor program is great... mentors should then be really pro-active and go out and do these things. SEEK out the people that are here and try to help them, don't just wait for them to seek you.

And that's why I think CoTH would benefit for some guides/community series posts about coaching the new folks, instead of just saying "We've got it covered with mentors!" because if that -did- completely cover it, we wouldn't have people that still shun others who have low RP/Grammar skills, eh?

That's pretty much my point.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Well, the Mentor Program so far is voluntary. Only the peons who sign up for it are assigned to a mentor who's responsible for answering questions and introducing them to the community. Many of those who sign up for it vanish tracelessly shortly after signing up without ever reading or responding to their mentor's PMs.

Nothing stopping anyone else from helping out with the new players, though. Other than their willingness to do so, that is.
Exactly. So why not make part of the community series about reaching out to players with low experience?

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

This is a bit of a sideline, but the fact that some people who sign up vanish right away kinda makes me wonder if they do so because they expected to find lots of RP going on at all times and were disappointed that it's not quite the case with CoTH - not that that's a bad thing, just a thought.
So, current list of suggestions would look something like this:
  • Inviting new players into the community.
  • Creating RP on the server.
  • Promoting activity--What YOU can do!
  • Open-mindedness, OOC.
  • Exclusivity and trends (PM'd suggestion).
  • Being racist and still being inclusive/RP-generating.
  • Why Conflict RP is awesome.
  • The line between OOC and IC.
(and open-mindedness! :D)
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
Added that and a vague note about a topic that was PM'd in to me, as well.
Some of these things should be noted as well... they'd have to be OOC.

Because I play many close-minded characters, and I see a lot of "Open minded" characters that's absolutely mind boggling lately. Too many.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Added two more, that in mind. (And clarified the Open-mindedness was for OOC.)
Along with Racism, a section included about how to do it without being offensive OOCly, as well as how to tolerate it should be expanded on. One of the things that gets me is uh, when you're playing a "racist" character, and people give you so much flack OOC about that sort of character.

I guess that could be called "Handling IC conflict with grace".

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Community Series: Introverts & Personal Space Loxmardin 5 1,666 02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Kirabo
  Community Series: Apologizing Loxmardin 8 2,293 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Harmonic