The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Non-traditional uses for herbs and other items
Ok, so in the interest of anyone who has ever used an herb or other substance for something other than its intended purpose... I thought it would be nice to have a serverwide consensus on the effects of different items. There is no canon information on this (that I can find), so I think this will just have to be server-specific information and nothing more.

I'm posting a useful list that I found, and adding to it based on information I've read around the 'webz. If anyone has used herbs or essences or whatever in their RP, feel free to post below and I'll add it to the guide. If we can agree on the uses for these different substances, I'm planning on making an IC post of a book written by my elf Cerae, who has more than a casual interest in the recreational use of plants and magic.

Disclaimer: I may toss in a few real-life equivalents here, just to give a better idea. I'm also including a full list of effects (if I can guess at them) with every item, so you'll still understand what the herb does, even if you don't know much about real-life drugs. Don't ask me about any of the real-life stuff. If you know about it, you know it. If you don't, I'm not going to explain it to you. Nothing personal, I just don't want anyone learning about potentially dangerous real-life stuff here. Gotcha?

Without further ado.... (again, NOT canon... feel free to correct or debate)

Herbs

Dreamfoil
Uses: Often brewed as a tea, can also be ground into a powder. Smoking is possible but less common. Produces a thick white smoke.
Effects: Small doses gives a mellowing, satisfied feeling. Relieves symptoms of magic addiction, but only for a short time. Moderate doses cause drowsiness, and high doses induce immediate sleep. Concentrated powder is sometimes used as a drink additive to incapacitate a victim.
Withdrawal: None reported, further study may be required.

Cured Bloodthistle (dried for smoking)
Uses: Smoking.
Effects: Gives a relaxing, revitalizing feeling to Blood Elves only. Other races can smoke it, but it might be rather weak or unsatisfying, with a flavor that might seem floral and "frippy". Offers mana to Blood Elves, satisfying their cravings. Has its own psychologically addictive properties similar to cigarettes, but this may be directly linked to mana addiction. Offers a far weaker physical withdrawl period than pure bloodthistle, but most elves who don't use the stuff wouldn't know this.
Withdrawal: Can include headache, irritability, fatigue, mild nausea.

Pure Bloodthistle (not cured or dried)
Uses: Eaten/chewed, mashed into an elixir, or mashed, reduced, and pressed into capsules.
Effects: Offers an energizing, revitalizing feeling to Blood Elves only. Chemically and psychologically addictive. Physiological effects like caffeine, or in higher doses, like lesser amphetamines (namely speed and MDMA). Empowering and satisfying, but sustained use is required to keep from suffering "lows." In higher doses, it is a powerful empathogen, producing intense euphoria, energy, and a feeling of good will and closeness to others. To most other races, consuming this plant's leaves or petals is akin to eating potpourri. Side effects of high doses include clenching of teeth, elevated body temperature, and pupil dilation.
Withdrawal: Minor doses usually only result in lethargy or dysphoric mood for a short time. Higher doses can result in lethargy, dysphoria and hypersomnia for a few hours to a day after the effects wear off. Long term side effects include memory alteration or loss, risk of depression.

Concentrated Bloodthistle
Uses: Mashed, simmered, or various other methods for producing highest concentrations of active chemicals. Usually eaten.
Effects: Like many drugs, once a certain threshold is reached, it can have effects that are unlike the effects of lower doses. Concentrated Bloodthistle works as a powerful muscle relaxant with depressive properties. Depending on the dose, immediate side effects can include drowsiness, disorientation, or hypersomnia. Care should be taken, as this drug is highly addictive if used irresponsibly.
Withdrawal: (I'm pulling this from painkiller addiction info, correct me if you think it should be different) Once addicted, going through withdrawal is extreme and painful. Symptoms can include tremors (sometimes seizures in especially heavy users), alternating sensations of heat and cold, pins and needles, and severe body aches (especially in the legs).

Tainted Bloodthistle (Bloodthistle painted with Nightmare Vine Resin)
Uses: Chewed or eaten.
Effects: A dangerous combination of chemical substances. Known as "getting red", "seeing red", "climbing the vine", "swinging the vine". Nightmare Vine has chemical properties that are magical and fel, and can enhance and energize an individual of any race, but this energy can reach dangerous levels, and anyone who has not become used to the toxin will likely become physically ill. Can also cause hallucinations.
The hallucinogenic and narcotic effects of the concentrated Nightmare Vine resin is combined with the stimulant (for Blood Elves) effects of the Bloodthistle, making the results of consumption similar to the consumption of an 'upper' and a 'downer'. The results are euphoric and mind-fuzzing, but can also be deadly due to the opposing effects of the drugs on the body's physiology. Highly addictive physically after sustained use.
(note for reference: to me this sounds like 'candyflipping,' taking a mixture of MDMA and acid.)
Withdrawal: Intense nausea, often accompanied by vomiting. Extreme dysphoria, chills, sweating. Heavy users may experience seizures during withdrawal.

Felweed
Uses: Smoked. Produces a thick, green acrid smoke.
Effects: Distortion of perception, especially of time. Makes the user feel euphoric, energetic, talkative, and mentally alert, especially to the sensations of sight, sound, and touch. (Think marijuana laced with cocaine.) It can also temporarily decrease the need for food and sleep. Overdoses can result in cardiac arrest.
Withdrawal: Can include tremors, chills, and paranoia.

Swiftthistle
Uses: Commonly made into a tea, can also be chewed directly.
Effects: Tea is a moderate stimulant. Chewed leaves have a milder effect.
Withdrawal: None known.

Ghost Mushroom
Uses: Eaten.
Effects: Intense psychoactive. Known to produce hallucinations, and euphoria. The user becomes hypersensitive to surroundings, circumstances and events. Paranoia can be triggered by simple things.
Withdrawal: Unknown.

Glowcap
Uses: Harvested as needed. No known method of preservation for later use.
Effects: Provides a surprisingly strong source of light. Lasts about an hour.
Withdrawal: N/A

Peacebloom
Uses: Binding accelerator. Oral, and physical application.
Effects: When mixed with various anti-coagulants or any oral infused medication increases the rate of absorption. Also quite aromatic.
Withdrawal: None

Silverleaf
Uses: Oral consumption and topical application.
Effects: Provides a minty flavor and scent in its use. Often used in teas or other food recipes. Can be used to clear nasal congestion. Found in some perfumes.

Briar Thorn
Uses: Applied topically.
Effects: When applied to cloth articles or watered surfaces creates a rather irritable residue. Residue can lead to skin irritation, skin sores and other misc. infections

Earthroot
Uses: Eaten directly, or brewed in a tea.
Effects: When ingested increases ones relaxation (similar effects to Valerian Root). Sedative effect. Can lead to chemical dependency.
Withdrawal: Symptoms of chemical dependency can include headaches, irritability, or increasing stomach cramps.

Bruiseweed
Uses: Topical application.
Effects: Skin tone foundation makeup. Blend or change skin colorization, as well as cover unsightly scars, tattoos, and bruises. For external use only.

Purple Lotus
Uses: Oral or intravenous.
Effects: Lethal poison in large doses, small doses only affect muscle control for a short period of time. Can disable a person for a number of hours/days.
Withdrawal: None, however it is possible to develop a tolerance for its effects.

Fire Bloom
Uses: Extraction of flammable liquid.
Effects: When applied to frost bit skin or dried earth and dehydrated flora, the cytoplasm found in the plant's stems acts as a flammable liquid.

Mana Thistle
Uses: Chewed/eaten, and brewed as a tea.
Effects: Provides a boost of mental alertness as well as energy. (Think Thistle tea but for those Magi staying up late studying old dusted tomes.)
Withdrawal: Irritability, hunger, loss of weight over long periods.

Talandra's Rose
Uses: Oral, intravenous, and topical application.
Effects: Talandra is Northrend's best kept secret. Its aromatic qualities make is an ideal and well sought out perfume, as does its thinning properties when applied as a coagulant for calming potions i.e. [Potion of Nightmares]. As a tea, it has the inherent quality to settle ones nerves and aid digestion. In baked goods provides an addictive quality, perhaps boosting one's profits (Think KFC's secret ingredient.) As a salve, it is often believed to have an age defying quality that allows its application to erase the signs of aging.
Withdrawal: None cited.

Terocone
Uses: Crushed into a fine powder and snorted.
Effects: High amounts of energy for a medium amount of time, similar to caffeine or speed.
Withdrawal: Symptoms can include headaches, random rage, and paranoia.

Lichbloom
Uses: Crushed into a powder then mixed into an elixir.
Effects: Provides mana. Mild hallucinations are possible, especially auditory (hearing things). Extreme doses have not been studied.
Withdrawal: Massive headaches and/or inability to cast spells at random.

Nightmare Seeds
Uses: Eaten/chewed
Effects: Causes intense visual hallucinations, sometimes interpreted as visions. Also distorts visual perception.
Withdrawal: Extreme paranoia, hallucinations of evil (even in normal settings) have been reported. Can cause temporary paralysis due to fear in weaker individuals.

Magical Items:

Help me out here... :)

Other (not directly herbal or magical in nature):

Sicco Orbs
Uses: Small balls of highly concentrated extract of radiation found in Gnomeregan. Consumed by putting into a bag and inhaling. Usually accompanied by a saltless bread in order to neutralize potential negative effects.
Effects: Produces an intense although short-lived high. Symptoms are varied and can range from sensations of disembodiment, to hallucinations, disorientation, or (usually pleasant) numbness of limbs, similar to when a part of the body has 'gone to sleep' and is recovering. Long-term use results in psychological instability, starting with paranoia and memory loss, and eventually progressing to complete insanity.
Withdrawal: While continued use invariably results in insainty, winthdrawal symptoms are lesser known. Headaches are likely.

Voodoo Flour
Uses: A very fine white powder, snorted up the nose.
Effects: Believed to have gotten it's name from the hallucinations it causes.
Bury me on my feet. I have lived my entire life on my knees.
I've always used concentrated Bloodthistle as a potent muscle relaxant and depressant. Like some painkillers.
I myself have created a few addictive medicine for IC purpose.

Sicco orbs: Little balls of a highly concentrated extract of the radiation in Gnomeregan, used with saltless bread to neutralize the negative effects. Consumed by putting it into a bag and inhaling from it. After having used it for a long period you'll go crazy.
Voodoo Flour: A very thin white substance, believed to have gotten it's name from the hallucinations it causes. Consumed by sniffing it up trough the nose.
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
Yes, Painkillahz!!! :mrgreen:
On a more serious note, I've always roleplayed Silverleaf like it's some kind of mint. (Read the "Uses" section if nothing else)

Also I'm glad someone rose up and started spinning the wheel for this idea. I know others hinted towards wanting to set up an idea like this. Mahumia told me and I also remember reading a thread entitled something along the lines of "library being the hospital for the mind". I believe it's nexusphere's post.
"Educate yourself in the art of true metal."
"From the Heaven of My Heart" & "Silver Bride" - Amorphis (Skyforger)

"Beyond the Stars"
~ Head over to our own subforum on CotH Worlds and enjoy. ^^
That voodoo thing reminds me of Ratchet White. Can't forget about the Cartel's drugs!
Peacebloom
Uses: Binding accelerator. Oral, and physical application.
Effects: When mixed with various anti-coagulants or any oral infused medication increases the rate of gestation. Also quite aromatic.
Withdrawal: None

Silverleaf
Uses: Oral gestation and physical application.
Effects: Provides a minty flavor and scent in it's use.

Briar Thorn
Uses: Irritable itching powder.
Effects: When applied to cloth articles or watered surfaces creates a rather irritable residue. Residue can lead to skin irritation, skin sores and other misc. infections

Earth root
Uses: Oral Sedative through normal gestation or a tea.
Effects: When ingested increases ones relaxation (similar effects to Valerian Root.)
Withdrawal: May lead to chemical dependency, or increasing stomach cramps.

Bruise weed
Uses: Cosmetic Enhancement
Effects: Skin tone foundation makeup. Blend or change skin colorization, as well as cover unsightly scars, tattoos, and bruises.

Purple Lotus
Uses: Oral or intravenous poison
Effects: Lethal in large doses, normally only effects muscle control for a short period of time. Can disable a person for a number of hours/days.
Withdrawal: None, however it is possible to develop a tolerance for it's effects.

Fire Bloom
Uses: Extraction of it's flammable liquid.
Effects: When applied to frost bit skin or dried earth and dehydrated flora, the cytoplasm find in the plants stems act as a flammable liquid.

Ghost Mushroom
Uses: Oral gestation
Effects: For the purpose of achieving hallucinogenic and other euphoric feelings.
Withdrawal: N/a

Mana Thistle
Uses: Oral gestation and tea.
Effects: Provides a boost of mental alertness as well as energy. (Think Thistle tea but for those Magi staying up late studying old dusted tomes.)
Withdrawal: Irritability, hunger, loss of weight over long periods.

Talandra's Rose
Uses: Oral, intravenous, and physical application.
Talandra is Northrend's best kept secret. It's aromatic qualities make is an ideal and well sought out perfume, as does it thinning properties when applied as a coagulant for calming potions i.e. [item]Potion of Nightmares[/item]. As a tea, it has the inherent quality to settle ones nerves and aid digestion. In baked goods provides an addictive quality, perhaps boosting one's profits (Think KFC's secret ingredient.) As a salve, it is often believed to have an age defying quality that allows its application to erase the signs of aging.
Withdrawal: None cited.
Thanks for speaking up!

Kagh and Roobald: I added your info... does it look right? If there's anything you want me to add or change, let me know.

Roobald: Do you have any idea what (if any) withdrawal is caused by the orbs or powder? And what negative effects will there be if one doesn't have bread to take when using the orbs?

Also, is it possible that Voodoo Flour is the same as Ratchet White, just by a different name? Just a possibility after seeing Kael's post. If it's something completely different, that's great too.

Speaking of those Cartel drugs... does anyone have any info on them? I'd like to include them. Also, I just got Armistad's post. Will add those, and I'm about to add Silverleaf as well. :D
Terocone
Uses: Crushed, and snorted.
Effects: High amounts of energy for a medium amount of time.
Withdrawal: Symptoms of dependency include headaches, random rage, and paranoia.

Lichbloom
Uses: Crushed into a powder then mixed into elixer
Effects: Able to use more mana than you were before using it. lasts a short period.
Withdrawal: Massive headaches at random. Unable to cast spells at random.

Nightmare Seeds
Uses: Eaten, or Chewed
Effects: Causes strange visions, and distorts your view.
Withdrawal: Things will appear evil, and mutated in your view for a short period leaving you in fear, or for weaker souls paralyzed.
Alrighty! I added some more... thanks for the input! Keep the suggestions coming! :D
I always imagined that Dreamfoil would make the user fall asleep (at least in large enough quantities) because it is called Dreamfoil, y'know. So the user could fall into a deep sleep filled with dreams. This lends to it being used as an anesthetic or something similar, or perhaps as something that could be slipped into someone's drink to make them sleepy/fall asleep.

Here is what I propose:

Small dose (<1 teaspoon): Makes the user mellow and calm.

Medium dose (1 tsp-1 tbsp): Makes the user sleepy.

Large dose (>1 tablespoon): Makes the user fall into a deep sleep filled with dreams (or nightmares).

I'm not really sure if it should be addictive, and therefore I'm not sure if there should be withdrawal.
I've always used felweed as something similar to RL marijuana, except with an extra sort of magical euphoria thrown into the mix. (Plus with creepy green smoke, yay!)
Scout- I like your idea. It seems like there are already a lot of things that act as stimulants, and an anesthetic would be a nice change of pace. I agree with you about the name. The information that's already there came from someone's RP blog, so I don't see any problem with changing it to suit our own world. In fact I think what you have described makes a bit more sense than what was originally posted.

Shivali- I've always sort of thought the same, sort of like marijuana laced with something nastier like coke, perhaps. I think I'll go ahead and throw that in.

Edits will be forthcoming!
Quote:Ghost Mushroom
Uses: Eaten.
Effects: Intense psychoactive. Known to produce hallucinations, and euphoria. The user becomes hypersensitive to surroundings, circumstances and events. Paranoia can be triggered by simple things.

In other words.... SHROOMS!

If always seen the Different Kinds of Mushrooms around the game as possible 'shrooms'. Each with it's own effect.
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

Glain- I was thinking that too, but I only found the one variety. If you know of others, post 'em!
[item]Glowcap[/item]
Use: Illumination source
Effects: Illuminates an entire room