The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Rensin's Overused Concepts
This is a little guide that goes over things that are seen time after time in other's profiles. They come up often, and seldom are overlooked, as they are blatant red flags of... well, a pretty Mary-Sue like character. Reason being? We've all seen it over, and over, and over, and over, and OVER again.

Now, some of you will automatically think I'm trying to bash you, or that "HEY THAT'S MY CHARACTER", but in all honesty, it's to -help- you guys. It's also... not by coincidence they are here. So, if it is here, and it matches your character... well...

Anyhow, here's the list.

The Orphan: Ahh. I start out with this why? Because I do not think I have a single chracter with living parents. While, this isn't -so- bad, some people milk it like there is no tomorrow. As in, what I call, the "pity me" orphan. This is usually a person playing them as so tragic, and misbegotten by everyone that they cannot bear it! Oh the drama!

There is also a -second- part to it. The orphan of a dramatic death. This orphan has seen it all, usually at a young age. People think this makes them deep and tragic, with something to be figured out when that guy starts to ask you about your past...but really, it's something that has happened to either so many people in WoW, or enough times at least in character that it's pretty anti-climatic at this point.

Like I said, this -can- be pulled off, since it's quite difficult to play a character with relations that don't exist in game, or that you can at least communicate to, but just take it down a notch and you'll be cool.

The Uberdin: This is usually a Pally. They can consecrate the ground better than anyone, and they are excelled in combat, romancing, fel magic, ancient lore, and window washing. This is one of the most watched for characters, just because they roleplay them as being able to do anything. Worship the light? Pah, only if they have to, which is seldom because this motorcycle driving archtype is obviously broody.

The Nice Warlock/Forsaken/Deathknight: This is a character that goes against everything that you'd consider any of these things to be. Rather, than the standard tortured soul that has REAL flaws and problems, such as being dead, having to carry themselves secretly, or practicing an art that could get them killed ICly... they are the opposite.

They are overly nice to everyone. They are so friendly, that they'd hug a human and discuss how fun it is to practice summoning their sexy Succubus, or their cute and cuddly Ghoul with a heart of gold. This character may be centered around... *gag* eRP, or something also excedingly rediculous.

Powermage:Mages can do anything right? Right? No, they can't. But people try to make them do everything.

You know the powers your mage has on 'em? Some of -those- aren't even considered IC. Don't make us stuff for 'em. Especially mental powers.

Brain Damaged Orc: There are two GMs and and two ADMINs, -read it- ADMINs that will tear this character appart. Unless the character is a peon there'd be no reason for them to act mentally defunct. Orcs are actually a quiet, and honorable race that fight to -survive-. Playing them as dumb is insulting.

Social Bunny: Not what you think. This is a character that knows major lore figures. Why would you know these figures? And honestly, if you do know them, so darn intamately, why are -you- not a lore figure? The simple answer is that you are not. Piggy-backing on the success of an established character in a profile is a sign of weak writing. It shouldn't be about how amazing Thrall is, the profile should tell us about your character.

Although, Thrall is amazing.

The Crazy: This character is usually described as "unstable" or "wild", or something like that. Players make it known that their actions are -random-, and so on and so forth. Basically, what the profile screams is "I don't know what the hell I'm doing with this character, so I'll call him crazy."

Crazy? It's actually just... lazy. Put some time into it, and try to actually come up with a concept other than saying they are random.

Mastertinkerbubblefluffmeggacute (Gnome): Secrettom will appreciate this, I think. Since it's seen a lot. And that's Gnomes with wierd names popping all about claiming they are "masters of blahblahblah" and so on and so forth. Yes, they love to tinker. Yes, their names can be slightly off the norm. But when you get Gigglestink, inventor of the Nuke, it's going way too far. It's a good idea to tone it down with the cute, and the whole mastergenius stuff, and stick to a single concept. Like steampunk. Gnomes are cool when played right, but I'm going to be blatant. There are like, six Gnomes (not gonna name, but I will say their may be more) that don't make me OOCly want to steer away from them.

Gnomes -should- be a majority serious, with a splash, a -splash- of cute/tinkery.

Broodelf: Goes for both Elf races. This is an elf that is so broody that he's a real turn off to the people around him. With Bloodelves, it's usually an elf that hates -everything-. While, yes, BE's are generally not nice, but snobbish, they still can differentiate between another noble, and someone who is a stinking-non-noble.

For the NE's, this is that -male- elf that defies women, of any race, and goes to the glorious human lands to spread around whatever it is those damn things spread around. Men in this race should be so much more docile than what they are played to be. They've been ruled by women for -Thousands of years-!

Venomdruid: Ahh, this is a type of druid that has shown up more than a few times on profiles. This archetype is a druid that not only slept in the Emerald Dream, but the Nightmare as well. Somehow, they claim that this makes them evil, or something like a mentally defunct spit personality being.

It really makes no sense, but it's happened, -quite- a few times. Heh.

---------------------------------

Final part: The "duh" factor.

This is pretty self explainatory. I hope you all know this one. If it is not from cannon lore... it shouldn't be in your profile. If it's something you made up, and includes something -with- official lore (such as an area or a character) it certainly shouldn't be in your profile. If you get something super special that makes you awesome and everyone else suck, it shouldn't be in your profile.

Also, if you are a megapowered as a -child-, then it's an automatic failure of the duh check. Any. Class. Or. Race.

This is the "duh" factor. The "duh" factor basically means, that if you cannot... comprehend this, then your character will get denied. Why?

Well, duh.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Finished, somewhat. However this is just a taste, taken from my own experience on the server.

I invite players, but mostly GMs to comment here on what they look out for with profiles, or what they have seen that -really- stood out to them in the past.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Quote:Mastertinkerbubblefluffmeggacute (Gnome): Secrettom will appreciate this, I think. Since it's seen a lot. And that's Gnomes with wierd names popping all about claiming they are "masters of blahblahblah" and so on and so forth. Yes, they love to tinker. Yes, their names can be slightly off the norm. But when you get Gigglestink, inventor of the Nuke, it's going way too far. It's a good idea to tone it down with the cute, and the whole mastergenius stuff, and stick to a single concept. Like steampunk. Gnomes are cool when played right, but I'm going to be blatant. There are like, six Gnomes (not gonna name, but I will say their may be more) that don't make me OOCly want to steer away from them.

Gnomes -should- be a majority serious, with a splash, a -splash- of cute/tinkery.

I love you, Rensin. Srsly.

Gnomes have gone through a LOT of crap to get to where there they are now- it would actually make more sense to make a Gnome that was mentally damaged then anything (Which I have seen done excellently) Sure, they may have a streak of the eccentric but this is NOT all they are- it would be like playing a Human constantly afraid of the Undead and scaredey-cats, or an Orc who is ONLY evil and uses his WTF warlock powers.

Gnomes are easily one of the most open races and accepting of others, but don't go overkill and make them just...comical. Please.
Hehe, excellent work Ren, it's all good points and I think this deserves to be stikied/wikied for other players to read so that it isn't buried in the seemingly endless mounds of threads that I can't ever seem to catch up with.
[Image: Signature.png]
Quote:The Nice Warlock/Forsaken/Deathknight: This is a character that goes against everything that you'd consider any of these things to be. Rather, than the standard tortured soul that has REAL flaws and problems, such as being dead, having to carry themselves secretly, or practicing an art that could get them killed ICly... they are the opposite.

They are overly nice to everyone. They are so friendly, that they'd hug a human and discuss how fun it is to practice summoning their sexy Succubus, or their cute and cuddly Ghoul with a heart of gold. This character may be centered around... *gag* eRP, or something also excedingly rediculous.

This I see way too much. As an avid Warlock player and game master I come all too often at odds with the people who think that Warlocks can be nice and loving people all the time. The thing is, while they can be kind and have good intentions on occasion, there is always the evil of Fel lurking just behind their soft eyes. Felin'areth has burned, cut, and beaten the only person he loves because he's just so goddamn messed up by Fel. Sure he can seem loving sometimes, even express kindness in a twisted way, but he has terrifyingly dangerous issues.

Quote:Brain Damaged Orc: There are two GMs and and two ADMINs, -read it- ADMINs that will tear this character appart. Unless the character is a peon there'd be no reason for them to act mentally defunct. Orcs are actually a quiet, and honorable race that fight to -survive-. Playing them as dumb is insulting.

I will eat you if you do this.
Hrm. Could this be a sticky in the profile section?

Edit: Also, I intend to keep this fresh and updated. Probably gonna write the Venomdruid soon into here...

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Ah, might want to add this, too. There's people who can't speak either Common or Orcish IC. So, let's say our example is a Draenei who has never visited Azeroth. Of course he wouldn't know Common too good. But then, What I see is the fact that when they speak Draenei, they make sense. And suddenly, when they try to speak Common, they attempt to be hilarious and whatnot. Out of sudden their whole personality is turned upside down.

And it fits either in the Guides or Profiles section, indeed.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
A lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.
To me, Ruby, that sounds rather exclusive. The point of this is these are archetypes that are seen over, and over, and over again in profiles.

That sounds more like someone contradicting their profile, which is another matter entirely.

In any case, I'd also say that ICly, a Drae could start to learn the language... and it wouldn't be perfect.

Edit: Also, I full heartedly support dialects when switching between your known language, and a secondary language. As a matter of a fact, that's a sign of solid, realistic roleplaying. :\

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

How about "The guy who got amazing powers at childhood/early life" which also works with Paladins. I've seen a lot of people (Recently -and- over time) creating characters who were somehow really talented at birth, and

"burned down parents house at 3 years old"
"Conjured a mega fireball and destroyed the Orc raiding party as a young adult"
"Managed to cleave an ogre in half with his super arm in his teens"

This'd probably be a subclass of the Uberdin, if anything.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Actually, Maul... that might fit under the "Duh" factor, heh. But you are right, people do that a lot too.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Great post! Good for anyone, myself included, who might accidentally fall into one of these stereotypes.
The moment I see a brain-damaged orc I swear... I will...

Put a small fluffy innocent puppy/bunny/kitten into a meat grinder.

Every...

Single...

Time...
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Nice post, Rensin. This should open some eyes and make people aware of what people don't want to see.

Rensin Wrote:The Nice Warlock/Forsaken/Deathknight:

This...This is something I see a lot and It actually disgusts me usually they all have the same storys of how they came to be and what not. I actually try and avoid RP with these types because it sort of makes me go :?. Hopefully with this post we won't be seeing anymore of these.
Something else I see a lot, not necessarily just in profiles, is the way people roleplay their characters in terms of age. First of all, time is completely subjective to our individual sense of consciousness. Different people perceive time differently; sometimes a day can seem to last forever, but that same day can go by in a flash for someone else. My point with is that if the perception of time varies with each human, the perception of time would vary incredibly between the humans and all of the other races of the world in terms of relating our experience of time to a character we choose to roleplay. Night elves, blood elves and draenei live a great, great deal longer than humans do while even races we tend to think of as close-to-being-human like gnomes and dwarves have much longer lifespans than most people care to take into account; their perception of time would be completely different than ours is and would change the way they behave. We as humans do not have the experience of living for thousands of years or even hundreds, but we cannot play draenei/elves/gnomes/dwarves/any race the same way we play humans. This is especially true for draenei and night elves who can and have lived for thousands of years. Insert race here -humans are incredibly overused, if even accidentally, and it seems unacceptable to me.

I know this has been brought up before in greater detail, but it is becoming abundant and perhaps that merits another look into the subject.
[corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][tr=][th=5]
Character Information
[/th][/tr][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][td=1,]Name[/td][td=1,]Race[/td][td=1,]Class[/td][td=1,]Association[/td][td=1,]Status[/td][/tr][tr=bg2][td=1,]Lyra Dawnreaver[/td][td=1,]Sin'dorei[/td][td=1,]Mage[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,]Noelle Sophelia Payne[/td][td=1,]Human[/td][td=1,]Mage[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,]Eliana Grace Matthews[/td][td=1,]Human[/td][td=1,]Paladin[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,]Connie Fizzlebolt[/td][td=1,]Gnome[/td][td=1,]Rogue[/td][td=1,]None[/td][td=1,]Alive[/td][/tr][tr=bg3][td=1,][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners][corners=forumbg forumbg-table][table=tablebg table1][thead][/thead][tbody][tr=bg1][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/corners]
Ahh, a non-human human.

I'll add that later. Can't believe I forgot that.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△