The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Troll Accents
hi everyone,
i am planning on rolling out a troll character and didn't know i have to converse in a Jamaican accent or proper English (i am new to roleplaying) :mrgreen:

thanks for reading
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
Bertrand Russell
The best way of learning the accent is just practice; been roleplaying trolls since retail 06 and next to nothing else.

This is how I do things, no magical official guide or what-have-you.

There are 3 main things that you really need to keep in check with trolls and the rest I just picked up;

1. The sound of 'oo'. The double 'o' is slipped in when there is an 'oo' sound, even if the 'o' isn't there. Commons words include;

Yoo (you)
Stoopid (stupid)
Hooman (human)

2. The letter 'D'. This letter pretty much replaces 'th' when it begins a word with no exceptions. Just my opinion but trolls seem to be able to pronouce 'th' when it's inbetween two other sounds but
tusks make it hard to pronouce the 'thhh' sound when it begins a word. Word examples!;

Dere (there)
Dat (that)
Dis (this)
Dought (thought)

And the infamous; Da (the).

3. Hard sounding letters over soft. When a hard sound ends a word, it's profound and doesn't need a soft movement of the lips to pronounce properly. Soft endings are rather troublesome, so I usually just end those words with ' or 'eh' if it ends with 'y'. This pretty much counts all words with hidden sounds.

Whistl' (Whistle)
Vacanceh (Vacancy)
Noodl' (Noodle)
Forgiv' (Forgive)
Yukai the Spiritwalker; Answers come in my sleep.
Look at me! I can shamelessly link my storythread too!
Thanks for the reply,
though my question was whether trolls speak in a Jamaican accent or just normal English but you kind of answered it :mrgreen:
Bertrand Russell
No problem, was just helping out. Need to remember that when speaking trollish, they use good, gramatical english. :)
Yukai the Spiritwalker; Answers come in my sleep.
Look at me! I can shamelessly link my storythread too!
One thing that's always been a big reference for my trolls is Tia Dalma from Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3. xD;; Corny as that sounds, it's helped a lot to think about her accent when I'm trying to pull it off.
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
thanks for the help guys ,
by the way what about the addon "trollizer" will that be useful/necessary for a newbie like me?
Bertrand Russell
I use an addon called tongues, it isn't the greatest for accents but it helps with words I some times miss.
Have some MIND CONTROL JERKY! (Care of Drukag)
[Image: 3YOM.gif]
I just usually have a Jamaican voice in my head... Mm-hmm. . .
[Image: k1OX.gif]
Aw, look at the young Akatsuki. Now he needs to be petted with love or else he... disappears!
LET'S DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIN

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character accents? Kaizeschtossen 14 2,718 01-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Aphetoros
  Accents - Nature or Nurture? Adolivan 8 2,452 04-11-2009, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Adolivan