The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Mages & Earth Magic
(11-29-2011, 10:55 AM)c0rzilla Wrote: An Elementalist, well...punches the elemental spirit with arcane until they do their bidding.

In a more serious reflection of my footnote joke earlier, isn't this what warlocks do?

Warlocks that do the forcing and enslaving and bullying magic around?

I always thought mages were those that took a scholastic approach to the forces of the world, and warlocks the tyrannical and predatory.

Perhaps one would make the distinction instead that warlocks and mages bend different powers to their respective wills, or that warlocks channel the Nether and that mages cast by way of Ley...

Blah, of fringe relevance at best.
Except warlocks use demons.

And evil.

*nods sagely*
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Mages still punch things into submission, so to speak.

It's just they punch something other than demons into submission. :P
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Well, sure, warlocks are all about the black magic, brimstone, and beastlies, but if you're going to declare that mages enslave the full spectrum of elemental spirits...

...Why can't a warlock, or rather, a warlock variant? Corrupted swirls of the Great Dark Beyond's coldest reaches?

Water elementals... Sickly, tainted, polluted, and wrapped in ethereal chains? Those entropic horrors that were once fire elementals but twisted with a tint of fel?

By all means, it's far more thematically appropriate for a warlock to simply wield soul-scorching streaks of destruction, but the archetypal mage is a student of Dalaran taught to defend himself with spells of frost and flame.

...Although I find the idea of a dark shaman variant quite the fascinating flight of fancy, I do doubt such a fiendish creature is all that likely to see fruition.
Warlocks do enslave elementals. They're all over the place on the edges of Shadowmoon in Outland. But, then the elemental ends up twisted into something new and nasty.

Below: Unhappy earth and fire spirits.

Spoiler:
[Image: Enraged_Fire_Spirit.jpg]

Spoiler:
[Image: Enraged_Earth_Spirit.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Dark Shamen exist as well. Ones who bind elements instead of being all friendly with them.

... Look to... I believe the Twilight Hammer. The Old Horde Remnants. The Taunka. These are people who enslave elements, one of which (Taunka) are even good guys still.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(11-29-2011, 09:50 AM)ChampionMouse Wrote: Kretol, where is my cookie? You said a mouse could have a cookie!

Spoiler:
[Image: mousegetscookie.png]

There.
I find the argumentation behind this decision pretty meagre.

I highly doubt frost magic is done by freezing moist in the air, while this theory in itself is feasible but the amount of moist frozen with this method would barely enough to make it snow lightly, let alone rain shards of ice from the sky, encase oneself in it etc. Fire doesn't burn without fuel nor could one shoot 'lightning' because electricity doesn't work that way. Shaman can do this because the elements themselves use their powers to make it happen.

Arcanists have to use other methods: They form it out of the arcane...thus fire magic is not actual fire, it's burning arcane, frost is frozen arcane, lightning is an almost pure form of the arcane and thus can be directly almost at whim. Theoretically mages could use both wind and earth/rock to do this, yet there are arguments why the uses of these two elements is rare. Wind is simply not effective enough, it only blows people away and would be quite difficult to make out of the arcane. Rock is rather inefficient, because being quite a dense thing, it requires a lot of mana to form such a thing and throw it at the enemy.

This leaves the second argument, mages using all four the elements makes shaman redundant....It's already established they do not. Magi can't heal, can't wear mail, consult the elements/spirits can't turn into spirit wolves and can't wield giant hammers into combat.

While this is an interesting discussion, it's not significant to poke an already slightly upset community by simply dictating mages should not use earth and wind. Especially when the community states it's displeasure about decisions like these. But it's your server, do with it whatever you want.

Issue is, when someone asks if they can do this, or if they are allowed to, we all had to come together and decide.

It isn't like we just went.

"Ha, u tink dat we shuld let magi use dem watur stuffs n litnng?"

We had a purpose and discussion on what we feel makes sense. Because we are asked too,

Anyways.

You can not say the server in general are upset about this. Many people have told we we shouldn't allow mages play anything outside their spellbook.

So did we give a little in attempt to please the vocal people, only to have them be mad that we didn't give in all the way? It seems that way.

Tldr; Wah, wah, wah. Nothing we do is good enough. Wah, wah, wah.

(From teh Phones.)
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
I for one support this.
Of course you do.

Now, in response to the argument being surprisingly unclear, I'm arguing not for all random mages to be able to use them on a whim, I wanted to make the variant of elementalist. So... this is just further making me confused by people being like, "You're overlapping shaman!" Even though mages and shaman share some of the same powers, even though each have something unique about them because they're not actually sharing the same powers but using different methods and power entirely to produce similar effects.

It's elementary, really. Wait, no puns? Well, that shoves me between a rock and a hard place. Honestly, this discussion has just become long-winded and so I'm just watering it down with some light humor. We should all just cool down, y'know? No need to act bitter cold towards each other or stomp off in heated rage...

Either way, it's been a pretty en-lightning argument, to say the least.
(11-29-2011, 04:56 PM)Aphetoros Wrote: Of course you do.

Now, in response to the argument being surprisingly unclear, I'm arguing not for all random mages to be able to use them on a whim, I wanted to make the variant of elementalist. So... this is just further making me confused by people being like, "You're overlapping shaman!" Even though mages and shaman share some of the same powers, even though each have something unique about them because they're not actually sharing the same powers but using different methods and power entirely to produce similar effects.

It's elementary, really. Wait, no puns? Well, that shoves me between a rock and a hard place. Honestly, this discussion has just become long-winded and so I'm just watering it down with some light humor. We should all just cool down, y'know? No need to act bitter cold towards each other or stomp off in heated rage...

Either way, it's been a pretty en-lightning argument, to say the least.

I love you.
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
Actually I thought this was partly a post to clarify that stuff like water and lightning was available for mages; in the past I know I've heard that we didn't allow electricity.

...So (at least in my knowledge) this is also giving stuff, not just saying what cannot be done.

EDIT: Again, to reiterate I don't really care either way; personally I do believe that geomancer should be viable, to an extent. At the same time I honestly think it would just be easier to go dark shaman instead of creating a ruckus, though.
Oh. Well. Now I'm all sorts of confused. Either way, when I make a profile we can all spit fire (ogodaphewhy), ice, lightning, water, and possible rocks and air at each other! :D

...in an acidic debate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o[/youtube]
(11-29-2011, 05:28 PM)Aphetoros Wrote: Oh. Well. Now I'm all sorts of confused. Either way, when I make a profile we can all spit fire (ogodaphewhy), ice, lightning, water, and possible rocks and air at each other! :D

...in an acidic debate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o[/youtube]

I love you again.
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)