The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Oh Villainy
Around this time last year there was some RP going on in the catacombs with various groups doing.. 'morally ambiguous' things. But the catacombs seem pretty designated to a certain type of group. What are you referring to, Uthaniel?
"My country is the world, my religion is to do good" - Thomas Paine

"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died." - Jorah Mormont

----- Characters -----

Spoiler:
Dulcius Seregon - Mage/addict with a tendency to bore others.
Daedre Seregon - Low-born noble with a cocksure behavior.
Edric Luven - Cautious lowlife Human who will do anything for quick coin.
Sandor Deramore - A former Alliance military commander turned lost Undead soldier.
Ranzbert Spoznotch - Tad-insane Gnome Warlock with a passion for potion making and research.
Elizabeth Drakos - Stern and assertive zealot.
There are plenty of safe havens for villains.

For one, the goblin towns! You cannot get touched there. At all. Goblins don't care what you do as long as you spend money (and don't cost them money). Running a slaving business out of it? Fantastic for them! New tax revenue.

Secondly, the catacombs. They're notoriously dark and somewhat evil aligned. Dunno what was ever wrong with them.

Thirdly, Stormwind, believe it or not. It's still a law-abiding city. As long as you aren't overt, you'll be nominally safe. Especially if there is no concrete evidence.

And then there's Undercity. Especially if you're a Forsaken.

Remember, your number one friend as a villain is knowing your laws.
Rank amateurs.
[Image: B2hmvU1.gif]
Unfortunately the catacombs are a little borked right now. No door in so we need a summon from a GM :<
(09-23-2011, 07:24 PM)Rosencrat Wrote: Rank amateurs.

What.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
(09-23-2011, 07:24 PM)Rosencrat Wrote: Rank amateurs.
Not everyone can be invisible from the /who list.
Or have their own tower.
Or personal army.
:3
I already have a villain I'm trying to bring back for the restart, but so far I've pushed that storyline aside so other events and stories can be done first.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
Another issue that sprung to my head is consitancy. Not everyone was lucky enough to have a four month storyline involving a certain window puncher, and it times that makes the biggest difference. Many villains will come and go, but its those who stay that will earn their spot among the blackest of books.

Also, climatic things. A lot of people tell me. "Psycho, Y U MAKE SPEECHES?!" And that seems like a wrong question in nature. You don't want a cardboard cutout as a villain. You want flesh and bone, driven by children's tear and the blood of angels. At times, the moustache twirler will reign supreme to the sneaky-sneaky low profiler. Then again, not everyone has invisibility from /who, and their own private army... And a tower... And NPCs at their command. A well spoken sentence by Binkleheimer.
Sadistic concepts, the monster waiting beneath your bed, the destruction of barricades against the hordes.

These are the things of nightmares.

I hope nightmares come to life.

Time shall tell...
(09-24-2011, 03:46 AM)Psycho Wrote: Also, climatic things. A lot of people tell me. "Psycho, Y U MAKE SPEECHES?!" And that seems like a wrong question in nature. You don't want a cardboard cutout as a villain. You want flesh and bone, driven by children's tear and the blood of angels. At times, the moustache twirler will reign supreme to the sneaky-sneaky low profiler. Then again, not everyone has invisibility from /who, and their own private army... And a tower... And NPCs at their command. A well spoken sentence by Binkleheimer.

(09-24-2011, 04:27 AM)Ben Wrote: Sadistic concepts, the monster waiting beneath your bed, the destruction of barricades against the hordes.

These are the things of nightmares.

I hope nightmares come to life.

Time shall tell...

The biggest problem I've had with the villains of CotH lately is that many of them do seem a bit 'flat' though; no offense, of course. It seems many of them are just set up to be nightmarish evil, not an actual character.

And there's a place for the mustache twirling, of course, but I still think there should be flesh and bone villains that people can still call flesh and bone; people who's motives can be understood, be it for revenge or any other reason. The best villains (at least for me) are those you can actually feel sympathy for at times-- it makes it all the more profound that these are people that had, at least some time into the past, good intentions which have been either turned away from or perverted in a way to create a villainous character.

Idunno, sometimes I find myself just missing that extra dimension. It's what gives characters some actual gravity for me, and distinguishes them amongst the rest of the cackling evil populous. It's what gives me an impression of intimidation, as well. There's a place for the camp and the simplistic in terms of a character's motives and mindset I know, but I just wish we would get some of this stuff as well.

Didn't mean to type that much. Whoops!
I completely agree with Rigley, on this.

I'd love to see a lot more villains whose intentions take them to the moral grey-ground, instead of clearly jumping around in the dark, with a knife that they use to turn people's eyeballs into jam for today's brunch.
10,000 days in the fire is long enough,
You're going home...
Yum, eye jam!

I like the idea of the character doing good from their own perception and clashed with the main perception of good. Who is to say that the accepted "good guys" are doing the right thing?

"Z"
(09-23-2011, 02:04 PM)muhaha8 Wrote: Ohai. Wuvvums, log ingame. I'm more than willing to help out! (Note: first post in a while. D: )

Waritine's back, perhaps I can give you a hand >:D
(09-23-2011, 03:17 PM)Binkleheimer Wrote: Villainy is over rated.
Moral ambiguity is the way to go!

This times a thousand and a half to the third quarter of Atlanta.

Also, I have a morally-ambiguous character who doesn't mind taking dirty jobs.

Who should I be talking to?
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
I've got my warlock Gul'dhar...

Who is currently living in someone's manor in Alterac.

Doing nasty things. But he's got a character. He's not doing things to be evil, he's doing what he's doing for several reasons that I don't have time to type out in the ten minutes left until I leave for NYC. <3
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The plight of villainy. Psycho 30 5,609 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Cassius