The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Proposal about IC "Deaths"
Hey all, Urisun here. Now, seeing as there are some guidelines and such being set for character descriptions and the like... I figure we should set up something about character death on the server.

[b]The Idea Behind It/b]
Death is a substantial part of anyones life, and is an eventuallity. It is also a consequence when one's actions lead them to it. Currently, in RP I have seen before, all death is is a frivilous inconvience. When someone can die, then instantly be ressurected by a priest...it just ruins the whole threat of death, the will to live, the fight for survival.

Of course, I realize no one wants to actualy lose their character, and fights can turn into e-peen fests for hours on end, therefore, I am propsing these rules

1. If a character is killed, he can be ressurected. However, after several ressurections, it does not work anymore. Therefore the character remains dead. (If you get yourself killed five or so times...You deserve to stay dead.)

2. If a character is killed, and not ressurected for a certain amount of times, he must remain dead. (Must be ressurected by a player able to do so)

3. If a character is killed, and either 1 or 2 apply, he can be risen by a necromancer as an undead character. (For character development to still flow, with the punishment of death)

4. Accept IC consequences for any and all IC actions. If you try to assassinate someone, and fail, don't just go "Lol you can't kill my character he is too cool!" Accept the fact you will die, and get over it.

This is only a short guideline, that I think should be instated. Its nothing big, and its just a rough draft...but I just want to get the spark out there.
Skalus - Bloodsail Pirate
Urisun - Scourge Lich
1, 2, 3; No. It's better to just let each person work out character "Death" on a personal level. This isn't something that should be affected by rules at all or in any way, but something that should be up to the player. One of the pillars here is the freedom to RP just about whatever you want, and this puts a limit on that.

4; Well, duh.
I personally feel that it completely removes any apparent realisim from the game, being able to simply come back -whenever- one wants. A limitation should be put on it, loose, maybe. But still. I can see why you would want for each character to handle it themselves, but it just gets ridiculous after awhile.
Urisun - Scourge Lich
I'm not saying it doesn't get ridiculous. I'm just saying that's not something I believe a set of rules should have an impact on.
Quote:1. If a character is killed, he can be ressurected. However, after several ressurections, it does not work anymore. Therefore the character remains dead. (If you get yourself killed five or so times...You deserve to stay dead.)

That's a rather ignorant stance to take. A character who is killed several times isn't necessarily deserving of a permanent death. If a character isn't seeking that combat, it may not be on him/her.

Quote:2. If a character is killed, and not ressurected for a certain amount of times, he must remain dead. (Must be ressurected by a player able to do so)

Because everyone must make friends with a Priest, Paladin, or Shaman, and those friends must know where you are at all times.

Quote:3. If a character is killed, and either 1 or 2 apply, he can be risen by a necromancer as an undead character. (For character development to still flow, with the punishment of death)

So people can god-mode specifically against the necromancer because he/she doesn't want his/her character to be undead. Again, no.

Quote:4. Accept IC consequences for any and all IC actions. If you try to assassinate someone, and fail, don't just go "Lol you can't kill my character he is too cool!" Accept the fact you will die, and get over it.

While I agree with the sentiment, there are still too many factors to consider in any situation to make such a harsh ruling. ICA=ICC is a rule that I live by, but understand that permanent character death (as well as permanent changes such as being made undead or something of that nature) is not something people want to happen to the characters they spent a great deal of time on. You're not going to do something of that nature to them unless they expressly want it to happen, period.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
As I merely stated, Dorgoth, it was a short list of ideas. Maybe it is just me, coming from RP where permadeath was the only option, but I feel that it is a strong, important part of RP.

And I in no way have ever stated that I would kill someone without their express permission, so your last sentence will be completely ignored.
Urisun - Scourge Lich
If you think perma-death was an important part of RP, then feel free to RP in a location where that is the only option. I see no value in making it that way here, however. I simply told you why I disagree with all of the ideas you listed.

I've played Muds that talked about the concept of character death as well. The short of it is that when you get into a battle of egos, the person who takes the more adult route and lets his/her character lose the conflict shouldn't be punished for it. The simple fact that your character lost the conflict is bad enough.

Edit:

Quote:And I in no way have ever stated that I would kill someone without their express permission, so your last sentence will be completely ignored.

And yes, you did. The moment you say "oh, I should be able to perma-kill you after the fifth time, or turn you into an undead against your will" you pretty much said just that.
For the record, I am a firm believer of the "DO NOT CONSENT" rule since 1982.

~otherwise~

I get dibs on rolling Archimonde the Defiler as my new main.

Just in case.

=^_-=
The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.
- Mark Twain
Grakkor, if you have a problem with me, feel free to say it. I am not going to get angry, not going to start cursing you out over the forums, but I did -not- say that I will perma death people without a consent. I was simply asking this option to be considered, you denied it, its done. Lock the thread, if you feel the need to not let anyone else post their thoughts on this subject. But, do not take my words and twist them back at my face. That is one thing I am not tolerant of. You denied my ideas in a rude, excessive manner, you do not need to accuse me as well.
Urisun - Scourge Lich
Quote:Angelofdark wrote:
Grakkor, if you have a problem with me, feel free to say it. I am not going to get angry, not going to start cursing you out over the forums, but I did -not- say that I will perma death people without a consent.

You were asking for rules that limit a character's ability to return after death. I'm not sure how that can be read any other way.

Quote:I was simply asking this option to be considered, you denied it, its done. Lock the thread, if you feel the need to not let anyone else post their thoughts on this subject. But, do not take my words and twist them back at my face. That is one thing I am not tolerant of. You denied my ideas in a rude, excessive manner, you do not need to accuse me as well.

If you think that was rude or excessive of me, you really don't know me that well.
If you think that I do things without consent...then you obviously don't know -me- very well, hmm?
Urisun - Scourge Lich
Quote:Angelofdark wrote:
If you think that I do things without consent...then you obviously don't know -me- very well, hmm?

For the third time: you are asking for rules that limit a person's ability to keep their character alive. *That can only be read in one way.*
I'll ask you this, please just drop it and leave the thread be, hmm? This is my post, my idea, you do not have to agree with it, or even condone it. But you can respect another man's opinion.
Urisun - Scourge Lich
If you end up interacting with someone who refuses to accept harm done to them or a death, just... don't interact with them as much. Go find something else to do. Eventually they will find someone to stoke their ego and leave you be.

I'd hate to see RP-camping, in the sense that someone knows another character is on their last couple deaths, and speeds them along to perma-death. A set number of deaths would feel a bit awkward RP-wise as well. Would they keep a tally somewhere on their person so healers know when not to bother? I subscribe to keeping it on a personal level. If you are seeing death as the only result of your character's interactions with another, speak to them about it OOC'ly, and make sure they're comfortable with it, and agree on whether there is an out (like rezzing or undeath) before doing the dirty deed. If the character cannot be resurrected, have a reason. Too much damage to the body, unwilling soul, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to discuss the method of death, as well. Is it going to be a sudden, unceremonious affair, or will the character get to fight for their life?

I've found I like something like die-rolling for major, possibly harmful actions. Both characters agree that anything in a certain number range yields a certain result, and when they roll, they stick with that and let the plot roll with it.

I think I've rambled off-topic. I'd better stop now. :) I think most of this has been said before anyway.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
This topic is now about Rubber Duckies.
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Concerning Character Deaths Wuvvums 22 4,378 08-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Dotsy
  Deaths EpicDuck 3 853 11-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Zunaj
  Character Deaths Harmonic 23 4,342 02-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Last Post: grembomb