Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Warlords of Draenor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I see what they did there. It's very much alike past Warcraft cinematics.

Specifically, killing Manoroth in WC3.
That, among countless other details, made me very happy.

I might well forgive two expansions of despicably bad characterization and cartoon villainy, for a boy to go back in time to save his father.
'S not great, but not bad. At this point, gong for a happy medium between gameplay and the spirit of warcraft is all we can realistically ask for.
I know everyone's losing their pants over the Grom-Mannoroth redux fight, but I really liked Gul'dan myself. I dunno, he just looked neat. Seeing such an influential lore figure we've never even seen remade in modern HD is nice. Now we just need a CG video of Lothar fighting Doomhammer :V
(08-14-2014, 12:19 PM)Dae Wrote: [ -> ]'S not great, but not bad.

Pretty much.

At this point, the video trailers are just kind of 'eh.' Nothing particularly outstanding in this one. Nothing awful beyond the brain-dead premise of WoD in general.

One criticism I have in watching the fight is that I have no investment in seeing that outcome. Sure, it's a call-back to the WC3 cutscene of Manoroth's death, but that's about it. It's kind of like the old wrestling adage where no one wants to see two heels fight. Same here: a bunch of evil villains are fighting each other. Why should I care? This is probably better if you have some nostalgic love for Grom, but I never liked his character in the first place, so it's just some pointless action to make the fanboys squee. At least in the fights in the MoP trailer, there were the player factions represented.

So it's just kind of a wash.

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, it does reflect an issue with Grom's depiction here. Why is he as broad as Garrosh? He's supposed to be tall and (relatively, for an orc,) thin. It's like they gave him long hair and that's all you need to recognize that he's supposed to be Grom.
(08-14-2014, 12:40 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: [ -> ]Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, it does reflect an issue with Grom's depiction here. Why is he as broad as Garrosh? He's supposed to be tall and (relatively, for an orc,) thin. It's like they gave him long hair and that's all you need to recognize that he's supposed to be Grom.

@Grakor456
To be honest this is something only really mentioned in Rise of the Horde and while Im not trying to say its wrong to think that Grom shouldn't be as broad and barrel chested as he is I really think it's because most artwork of Grom simply depicts him as such.

I just dont think Blizz artists took Christie Goldens descriptions as a basis to begin with.
Not really, you could tell that he was intended to be tall by his Warcraft 3 model. Again, proportionally, I understand that heroes in that game are naturally larger due to the weird way units are scaled. But yeah, it's not just from Rise of the Horde.
I looked through most of the Grom stuff in all of the places he was described in and to be honest that's the only place I could actually find anything about him being slender. I did it because of a discussion about this in skype.

The direct quote from the Christie Golden novel is

Hcllscream stood in the front of his clan, more slender than most orcs, but still tall and imposing.
Yes, I'm aware of his description in Rise of the Horde. I never contested that.

My point is that (again, proportionally) he's taller and more slender than most orcs in his other depictions. A quick look at the units in Warcraft 3:

Spoiler:
[Image: Grom_Hellscream.gif]
Grom

[Image: grunt.jpg]
Standard Grunt

[Image: shaman.jpg]
Standard Shaman

For their height, the grunt and shaman are very broad of shoulder, while Grom is less so. Still broad, of course, but not quite as pronounced.
I posted the quote more so for other people to see it (that is anyone who cares of course)

I see now what you mean. Still you have to admit that despite being a litte less broad the WoD cinematic did not do a bad job of portraying mag'har Grom ? It does stay true to his artwork by Blizzard at least.
Not...really, no. His face looks a bit too scrunched and too...pig-like, for lack of a better term. He just looks really ugly.

Dunno, they just screwed up Grom's appearance entirely, to me.
For comparison, here's the video from WCIII where he kills Mannoroth. He's definitely skinnier in this one than he is in the new one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr0kgy6DeDw
(08-14-2014, 01:45 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: [ -> ]Not...really, no. His face looks a bit too scrunched and too...pig-like, for lack of a better term. He just looks really ugly.

Dunno, they just screwed up Grom's appearance entirely, to me.

Agreed. He just looks really ugly. The hair doesn't do him any good, either. Looks like crap.

That aside, I feel as though they're appealing to the wrong audience with this scene. Most of the people who play WoW now-a-days have probably never played Warcraft 3, let alone even heard of it. They really picked the wrong reference to make. Plus, I do just think it's totally poorly played. It's a bad time to be trying to make us all play on nostalgia alone. People are angry at Blizzard for killing their own setting--why would throwing the glory days in everyone's face make them want to turn back to it?
...Aren't orcs supposed to be ugly?
Pages: 1 2 3 4