The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Demand For Vouches!
Heheh, got you to think I was a revolutionary and a rabble raiser for a second there didn't I?
The Vouch system was corrupt, and in many ways it was good that the GM's decided to do away with it. However, it would seem that of late I've had this particularly strange urge... I feel the need to give out vouches.

Peculiar isn't it?

The Vouch system for promotion purposes was an idea which worked well and looked fantastic upon paper, but not necessarily in application. (Much like communism, but that is another topic)
With Vouching we may still be able to enjoy it's best parts without falling into it's poorer uses. Many people on this server are brilliant writers and role-players, yet without vouches they may go unrecognized and un-complimented. (a crime of incredible proportions!) So why not continue vouching without the nifty grunt promotion?

It is a personal pleasure of mine to give credit to where credit is due, and I believe it would be nice to reward some of CotH's better visitors with a touch of praise. My first thought would be to post such ‘new vouches' on the intro post of each respective player you wish to compliment, or maybe make a thread topic specifically for such words of kindness.

I would not expect a large amount of these to be posted, but the fact that they could be is something of a comfort and might serve to bolster the confidence of those previously unaware of their talents or basic ‘awesomeness'.

Rank, whether it be Peon, Grunt or GM, would not come into account for these little compliments as everyone might enjoy them, as well there would be no need to stop at the previous cap of three.

That's just my few words on that matter. I do like this idea, and there are a few of you that I've already in my sights to ‘vouch' as soon as I can.

Well wishes to the lot of you!
[Image: walrus_family_affair-2.gif]
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
I don't know. One side of me tells me to want this, because good RP'ers need their shining light.

However, the other screams at me. How would the people who don't get vouches react to this? How would they feel?

Other then that, I'm fairly torn between this decision.
So Ivan say to me "Who was talking device then?"

And then Sergei say "But Ivan is dead"

That is when I realize Sergei was bear.
DrinkArizona Wrote:I don't know. One side of me tells me to want this, because good RP'ers need their shining light.

However, the other screams at me. How would the people who don't get vouches react to this? How would they feel?

Other then that, I'm fairly torn between this decision.

Not everyone can win a blue ribbon at the county fair, and though all entries may be admirable only a select few are crowned by the judges. Besides, someone who is active, kind, helpful or artistic fits my bill of a good RP'er, and I see plenty of persons that portray those qualities. Beyond that, even players who actively seem to look to improve.

In the end, this is a game, and the vouches in this case would mean little.

Edit - in fact, these vouches would mean nothing. What I am suggesting is a sweet little way to publicly complement other players, much like the original vouch system yet without the Grunt rank promotion. What happened to those who didn't receive vouches back in the old Vouch based system? Not getting vouches meant not ever getting Grunt, much more 'feeling hurtful' then what I propose.

Then, the system of Vouches was done away with for good reason and perhaps by invoking this new way of vouching we would regain some of the deplorable aspects that tossing the old ways was meant to rid us of.
But then, I ramble. I still do not see what hurt could come of this. It's just an idea. :mrgreen:
"The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships - and sealing wax - of cabbages and kings" - Lewis Carrol
I like this idea. Though I don't believe there's anything explicitly stating we can't drop a good word on someone's introduction if we feel like it, official (useless) vouches would be amusing to throw up once in a while. Plus, it gives me an excuse to make pretty artworks in photoshop again. Couldn't hurt much IMO; not everyone would get them but that doesn't mean there's any reason to deprive the whole of something they deserve.
[Image: lichkingfell.png]
This seems like a pretty damn good idea to me. I say let's go ahead with it.
"The Snake, The Rat, The Cat, The Dog...how you gonna see em' when you livin' in the fog?"
I do believe Dilnikas talked about this in the actual thread about the whole grunt change.

Regardless, I agree with this thread and the OP. Yeah. Vouches are something I love (Or loved) to get - even from other peons, and I'm sure others do as well. It may help to brighten up the server a little more as well.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
Derp. Walluce, you idea thief. >:{

. . .

:D

Anyways, I agree. And since nuffin's keeping us from posting good stuff in introductions... Let's do it! Well, at least I know I'll be posting these, as I said before. :D
And don't forget, boys and girls, that a whisper or PM to the person/people you've enjoyed RPing with might be a more personal approach, but it's just as welcome if you're wary about hurting others' feelings. If anyone's anything like me, getting the pop-up window alone that there's a message waiting in their inbox fills them with glee. :B
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
I've already made my thoughts known about the new system in the other thread and I won't repeat them here.
Suffice to say, I'm going to continue vouching for people who I believe deserve vouches.
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" --Thomas Jefferson
Or, ya know, you could just say "This person is a swell RP'r!" and say why, without having to post a fancy VOUCHED! in pretty colors. I don't really have any problem with people praising each other, other than the fact that it can sometimes feed into a very clique-like mentality. I've seen it happen before.

Group 1 is consisted of Person A, Person B, Person C. Person B gives Person A a VOUCHED! and in return, out of obligation, Person A returns the VOUCHED!. Even if Person B isn't exactly the best Role Player. Person C in the clique feels unloved, so Person A and B both decide to give a VOUCHED! out to their beloved lunch mate, making them feel all warm and fuzzy inside. As a little favor for their clique buddy.

The meaning of the VOUCHED! can get diluted and hollow. Eventually, it just becomes a circle jerk between good friends. One person strokes the other person and then they stroke them in return and they look like they're having fun so another person begs to be stroke so they start stroking and then they eventually get stroked and it suddenly becomes a giant stroke fest that served as a hilarious stand up piece in the deceased master of stand up comedy....

So while it's not originally intended or wanted, people would end up using the VOUCHED! as a hollow means to give big ups to someone who stroked 'em good. Even if they weren't the best RP'r out there.

I say we should just let compliments be compliments. Why add a special title to 'em? Why make it into a flashy sticker? Why do we even need to call it anything other than an appreciation for what that person has done? A simple "Good job" should do, no need for a fancy ribbon or nothin'.

Also,

Quote:The Vouch system for promotion purposes was an idea which worked well and looked fantastic upon paper, but not necessarily in application. (Much like communism, but that is another topic)

The same can be said for Free Market Capitalism.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
^ Agreed there, I don't mind handing out compliments, hell.. their fun and can brighten up anyone's day. But why add a title to them that in most cases have been hollow. Befriend someone, get a vouch.

I too say that we should let compliments be compliments, and not vouches. :)
Quote:Perhaps one day, at a new sight,
We will search again for that light.
Hold it close, between our arms,
Listen again, to the priestess her charms.
- Me, in a poetry named "The Priestess."
Krent Wrote:I say we should just let compliments be compliments. Why add a special title to 'em? Why make it into a flashy sticker? Why do we even need to call it anything other than an appreciation for what that person has done? A simple "Good job" should do, no need for a fancy ribbon or nothin'.

Hm, "Good Job" posts. But yes I agree, perhaps using the word vouch might take away from the purpose of such gestures. You have a valid point as well with the clique comment.

dilnikas Wrote:Derp. Walluce, you idea thief. >:{

. . .

:D

Anyways, I agree. And since nuffin's keeping us from posting good stuff in introductions... Let's do it! Well, at least I know I'll be posting these, as I said before. :D

O.O
I never even noticed, I apologize. I never meant to become an "Idea Thief" Cry
Great minds think alike?
Personally, I wouldn't mind saying once in a while that someone's simply an awesome writer and/or provided a very amusing RP session. Still, I don't see any special reason why such a thing has to be on something as viewable to the community like a forum. Just tell someone in-game you had a great time with them, and leave it that.

The same message, only in a different shell.
Why not let Vouches stay Vouches? The old system had a lot of merit, despite the fact that people were misusing it, and now that Vouches aren't necessary for Gruntship, they won't be farmed.

And yes, it's true, not everybody can get vouches. I remember when not everybody could join CotH to begin with. When did this become a problem?
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?" --Thomas Jefferson
Ahh, I know the feeling of not getting those darn vouches. I didnt get them, in a long time period. A -long- time period. But a few days ago, a fella promised to give me one. I was -so- happy. My first vouch. And then they initiated this system.

It killed my joy, I mean, now you only need a questionaire and a profile. Before you needed vouches! Vouches, vouches and more vouches.

Vouches proved you were good, they were epic. They were compliments, and now theres only the approved profile.

If I'd get to decide, the vouch-system would be back very quick. Allthough I've only gotten one.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vouches? Varithos 2 736 06-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Varithos
  Vouches Shammydude 9 1,489 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Qaza