The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Loving the Unloved Character
Loving the Unloved Character
A Guide to Saving Your Neglected Alts

from your local Moose written by Moose

Let's be frank, here. You have a problem.

Within the past month, you rolled an alt after seeing an awesome guild in CotH's guild forum. You played that alt for about a week, had some great RP, and then went back to your level 80 dressed in tier gear and exuding awesome without a second thought. You still haven't touched the alt since, yet you see its name every day and occasionally glance at its half-written profile buried amongst a stack of other profiles in various stages of completion. And during the same month, you answered someone's personal ad but they stopped coming online so you haven't logged on that alt, either. And you keep getting bothered by your friend to log this other alt of yours so he can RP on his alt, but you don't really feel like it because you want to play as your main character instead.

For some reason, you feel as though you can't seem to commit to any one character besides your favorite—you just keep making and ditching new ones, and you never seem to generate any real attachment besides an obligatory “Oh, I should probably log on.” To you, your alts are boring—old news. They don't have the flashy gear your main does, and they don't have the extensive contact base, either. Your alts have one or two friends at most, and maybe one thing to do to amuse themselves with. They don't feel like real people, and thus you don't love them.

What is an unloved character?
You probably don't care too much about that alt that RPs with only one or two characters and you never log unless you know they're going to be used; if you can't find the other characters then you don't RP with your own that night. You shelved that alt that you made specifically for an event, guild or RP that is no longer happening because you don't know what to do with your character any more. Your other alt that never sees much use, either because you don't have anyone to RP with or you don't like RPing as that character. Maybe both. And then the other alt taking up space on your account was made to be companion to another character, both of which are now inactive.

They're the throwaway characters that we make on a whim, put little time into, and ultimately take up a slot that we "plan to use one day," but likely never will. Or they're the characters that are unable to go out without prior permission from someone else, the alts that are unlucky enough to be stuffed on the shelf because we'd rather RP with our favorite characters. It's fine to play favorites, but neglecting your characters is an issue prevalent in almost any RP situation.

So then how do you know you love any of your characters?
You probably have that one character, the one you rolled first and carried over from retail that you've had for years, languishing over the lore to convert them to something CotH-worthy. That character that you log on first thing every day, the one you always switch to when your friends are on and the RP is over; they're the one you made your first friends on and the one you're resurrecting over and over because you just don't want to say goodbye to them. Or because it would screw up the three plots you have going at once. You know the deal, it's your favorite character and Plan A no matter what.

I could go on and on with these examples, but I'm willing to bet you know what I mean when I say the favorite child. You might have three children, you might have upwards of twenty, but there's only room for one or two on your busy list of "people you really want to RP as." So what happens to the others? They take up space on your account, get used maybe once every couple weeks or get shoved into the odd event. They stare at you with big eyes if you don't jump straight to your main character the moment you get in-game, quietly asking you why you don't play with them more often. You tell them "Maybe later," but later may be more than a week away from when you made the first promise, if you ever get around to using them again. And until then, they just sit there gathering dust on your shelf and wishing that maybe instead of asking the GM for a new account so you can roll ten more alts that you'll only use for a couple weeks at best, you'll actually try and play the ones you already have. Because you have a /lot/.

I'm guilty of this myself; I tend to neglect characters that don't get a lot of RP that I find enjoyable. Sometimes it's just a failed concept--the occasional need to roll a new character thanks to some great idea turns out to be not so great and you're left with an extra alt. But you don't delete it, because . . . because . . . there's people out there depending on you, you reason. But it's not like they're RPing with you, considering that neither of you are busy with your alts any more; you're already hopping off to your mains and RPing with them instead.

You don't have to euthanise your poor alts, though. With a little TLC, you, too, can bring RP to your neglected alts and possibly find a brand new main in the process.

Ways to Love Your Alts:
Don't log on your main character today.
Show your other characters you haven't forgotten them, and that you care about them just as much as your favorite night elf that has pressing business to attend to. Frankly, main characters are impatient and needy. The moment you leave them they'll start screaming for you to come back like the spoiled brats you let them get to be, whereas the lesser characters don't mind it if you have to deal with the problem children first. If you can resist the temptation and spend a day away from your main, you might be surprised how much fun your alts can be.

Stop rolling new alts. Chances are you already have six or seven that you don't use; it's insulting enough to them that they're being shelved while you go play your favorites. How do you think the pixels on your computer feel when you'd sooner start a new, doomed character than touch the ones that have been gathering dust for over a month? Sometimes you really want to make a character for the latest elf craze, or to participate in that Ironforge RP over there, but such events are fleeting--by the time you're settled in, the RP will have moved somewhere else and you're stuck with another alt on your hands. Having a wide variety of race, class, social status and personality can help you snatch these opportunities when they come up, without becoming a mindless follower of them everywhere they go.

Instead of asking your friends to roll an alt and RP with you, ask LFG instead. You are not the only night elf out there that wants to RP in Darnassus, and you don't have to go to Stormwind to find some RP. You are not the only Kirin Tor mage, or the only person with an alt somewhere in Stromgarde (nor are you the only Horde player). Don't look to your friends and ask them to make an alt that will be neglected when you inevitably decide to return to your mains. Take a deep breath and type in that LFG box "Hey guys, let's get some Undercity RP going." You'll be surprised at what pops up.

Attend events with your alts instead of your mains. Your main characters likely have rich, full backgrounds with ongoing storylines and huge, intertwining plots that could fill whole novels (or maybe you just have a character that likes to drink in taverns). Your alts have themselves, but you probably never gave them enough attention in the first place to develop real connections with others. Events give you a chance to meet new people and form relationships you wouldn't have had otherwise, whereas if you bring your main, and your friends bring their mains which coincidentally hang out with yours, you meet no one new and advance a character that's had plenty of attention already.

Post on the forums.
The occasional RP put into story format can make its participants smile, look back and go "Hey! I remember that!" An IC post or a forum RP can accentuate what you already have going on in-game, and you don't have to worry about random interruptions while you're doing it. Forum RP lets you take your time, though it is more of a commitment and takes longer to wrap up. You'll at least have records to look back on, which will one day make you think "Hmm, I should log that alt." With any luck, you'll move on to go do that.

Try all manner of RP you can, and use an old alt of yours to explore it--get your friends on IM, maybe start up something to fall back on when you're feeling burned out from WoW, or try a non-fantasy setting; start up an email chain between three or four of you; get a D&D game going with like-minded people that have plenty of time on their hands. There's lots of websites supporting all manner of RP, even ones based off drawing your characters' every movement out with a graphics tablet.

"But Moose, I tried all that and I still don't RP on my alt as often as I'd theoretically like to! I just can't bring myself to log on my alt and play it!"
Maybe it's not you, and it's not your fellow RPers keeping you from playing your unloved alt. Maybe it's the alt themselves. Maybe you can't connect with your character, or they're too dull, or they can't get RP because they're too busy being grouchy and passing up good RP opportunities because of some personality quirk. I've had players from both retail and CotH tell me that my character is the only one they've ever gotten anywhere with, because I went out of my way to go RP with said character and it snowballed from there. I've told others similar things myself. Playing a difficult character is nice, but it's also nice to play a character that enables those others to get out and have some RP--but you have to work together OOCly before anything can be accomplished IC.

If you have a character like what's been mentioned above, there's a good chance you could use one or more of the following words to describe them: evil, villainous, gruff, antihero, shy, quiet, antisocial, rude, devil-may-care, isolated, jerkish. The list goes on. Characters like these are naturally more difficult to play than your generic good guy because they spurn friendlier types, but your characters can also be a lot of fun when played right. Sometimes you just have to accept that your character will have to be a little nicer than usual to get at that juicy RP, or they'll have to stop when they would have otherwise walked on or answer a question just to be in the right place at the right time--making OOC compromises that aren't necessarily how your character would react is sometimes key to having an enjoyable RP.

Sometimes you're taking a "bad" character to the wrong place and looking for RP--elves don't belong in Barrens, even with good reason because that reason is just a placeholder for the real, OOC thing (I want RP and that's where RP is). But Silvermoon City is rife with RP; you just have to ask for a little. Maybe you're looking in the taverns, and every time your character turns down the drink because they're not thirsty and they already ate and they're not really interested in running off with a random stranger and they don't want to discuss politics over a dinner table. Maybe you should be somewhere else because your character is a blood knight and is sparring with a dummy, or a magister cracking down on the books, or a creepy elfin man-baby doing gods-know-what down near Jero'me.

But even though the tale of your neglected children is a heart-wrenching, tear-jerking epic preaching organization and taking us on a somber tour through the funereal events of saying goodbye, unused alts pose a huge problem, too: they take up space. Have you had to get a second account because your first one is full? You likely have a problem with this, and you're not ready to give your characters up. That's okay, but if you find yourself pushing a third account it may be a good idea to think before you roll.

Tips for Avoiding Unnecessary Alts:
Don't answer personal ads by making a brand new character. Personals are fun and can spawn great ideas, but no one wants their brand new brother to mysteriously disappear after a mere five days of interaction. You can do your part by searching personals when you want to develop a character you already have—don't roll a new troll responding to a voodoo trainer's ad, but do stick your already-there witchdoctor-wannabe that you've had for a month into the scheme. Personals and the other sections of the forum are a great way to discover new RP opportunities, but they're a bad place to look when you want character ideas—more often than not, you'll abandon your disposable characters within a month, assuming the ad as a whole doesn't disappear. The same rule applies to guilds; join a guild if you want to accentuate RP that's already been going on, but don't expect it to provide an endless source of new RP.

Give your brand new (or dirty and old) alt multiple hobbies and interests so they can RP in a variety of settings and have things to fall back on. If your alcoholic brawler is out at night when the tavern's empty and the arena's closed, he better have something to amuse himself with. Otherwise, you limit yourself and your character by failing to provide them with enough interests, and you make yourself unable to RP when a very narrow criteria aren't met. If you don't understand why a character needs multiple things to do with their time, ask yourself this: if you were just a writer, what would you be missing, and how much time do you really spend writing every day? Career writers are at an unfair advantage here, but still.

Resist the urge to roll a new character when you get a great idea, no matter where it came from, even if it's only acting on your wants and not anyone else's requests or the latest event. Instead of making a character with one or two things about them, try and incorporate the idea into one of your lesser-used alts: rather than pop out another whining, screaming infant that'll be made to stand in the corner before it has a chance to grow up, put one of your other characters in the spotlight again with a new, nifty trick to show off. If, for example, you really want to play a gardener for some reason, don't make a new character—just give your brawler something to do besides booze it up all the time. Combinations of old concepts mushed into something different can provide exciting, fresh and sometimes amusing RP. Your character's genuinity isn't based off their archetype; it's based off what you do to make them different.

Your best bet for getting the most out of your characters? Have three or four versatile characters whose basic personality and appearance you like. Get a wide range of faction (try to cover all four—neutral, Sin'sholai, Horde and Alliance) and give them reason to leave their hometown when need be, or at least the capability even if they don't like to do so. This enables you to RP with most anyone, travel most anywhere, and you may just end up with characters you like. Think back to retail, CotH, forums, wherever you got started RPing—embarassing memories, huh? Back then, you didn't need a history to RP, just a name and an appearance. A character's present is far more important than their past, so try to work that out first—design your past to support what you want to do in the present, and your character will be all the more rich for it.

If you've tried everything and just can't seem to get in the swing of things, if you can't bring that one naughty child out from detention, if you can't find the time to play blocks with your toddler because your boss is demanding that you work for him instead, it's okay. But it may be time to say goodbye, if you really don't think you'll ever use your alt again. Chances are the people around you don't mind because they're in the same situation as you are, not quite wanting to chuck their baby out the window but not sure they want to hear it cry for attention any more.

Saying goodbye doesn't have to be a sad process. Your alt doesn't have to die in order for you to permanently retire them, and they don't have to disappear into nothingness, either. For a happy ending, take a look at what your character has accomplished and what they want to do with their life—perhaps you have a mage in training that has more or less finished their training, but you've discovered you don't actually like to play them. All you have to do is send them off on their own as a wizard, scholar, pilgrim, what-have-you—and they're happy to finally have some closure. The only thing keeping you from chucking those alts is the feeling that you're “not quite done,” and you likely won't be able to stop yourself from feeling guilty if you get rid of them before it's time. But if you don't RP with them, it will never be time—so either get out there and drive yourself to an end, or figure out the best solution and write a forum post about it. That way, you can have a happy goodbye because your teenager is finally going off to college, and they no longer need you to play with them any more.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to take my own advice
and figure out who it's time to say goodbye to.

Moose
[Image: lichkingfell.png]
Very well written, just got past the 1/2way point in the guide and stopped to post this.

It's awesome.

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
This was a very good guide detailing a problem that I think nearly everyone has. I hope a lot of people read it and it helps them with their unloved characters. Got a few of 'em myself.

Good job.
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
This was very helpful, really. Though I use both my characters at least once a day, nothing is forever. When it is time to say goodbye to my characters, I will think back to this guide, and make the best of it.

I hope many more will read this and learn a thing or two about our neglected alts, and the impact it might have on others, not just yourselves.
It's very well written and I agree with everything that you say.

When I RP on forums or anything like that I'm often guilty of giving my main character most of the fun quirks. Trying to stop doing that by only making characters that are pretty different from each other.
[Image: banner.png]
A recently started Sonic forum for all ages and shapes. We discuss both old and new Sonic stuff, but by no means keep ourselves on just that area. We're a community of gamers, artists, role players and the like.

Please pop in and have a look. :]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Loving this server so far! Tell me how you do too! ProjectRandom 6 1,054 06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Last Post: Dug
  IC OOC L (In-Character Out-Of-Character Location) Judgernaut 15 3,460 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Judgernaut