The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

[PENDING REWRITE] Of Night and Stars! - A Kal'dorei Guide by Dilly
Out! Out, I say!

Spoiler:
The Kal'dorei
Or Night Elves

A guide to playing and understanding them

Well, I decided to make a guide for this. I just hope you lot will find it helpful and whatnot.

I loved Night Elves since the first time I created one, which was my first WoW character ever, mind you. The lore behind them seemed so deep, so rich... so... Yeah. I have seen people play Night Elves in a very ridiculous way. I'm not saying I've seen that a lot, but still. Yes, there is already is a guide about Night Elves here. But heh, I decided to make a new one - perhaps repeat some of the old stuff and, of course, add more!

And because you can never have too many guides on Night Elves.

NIGHT ELVES

Physical Appearance

Let's start with the basics, ‘kay? Yes. Sometimes it might seem tricky describing races that are not exactly... human. Whether it would be profiles, RSP or whatever.

Skin colour
Night Elves have skin colours ranging from blue to pink to dark purple to very, very pale grey (The colour they get after death, with the decay jazz and stuff. See: Death Knights).

Eye colour
Night Elves have only two eye colours. Those would be silver and amber. I'll talk about them later.

Hair
Well, Kal'dorei hair colours usually range from light blue to green to a very dark purple.

Height*
Night Elf males range from 6'8” to 7'6”, the average height being around 7 feet. Females range from 6'4” to 7'2”.

Weight*
Night Elf males weigh from 184 to 324 lb. Females - from 174 to 318 lb.

And don't forget those dashing long ears. Harr harr.

* These height and weight ranges apply to healthy Kal'dorei, not suffering from related sicknesses.

History of the Kal'dorei

The Night Elves began as a primitive race of feral and nocturnal humanoids. Eventually they found the Well of Eternity and built their home around it. Thanks to the Well's energies, they became stronger and immortal, expanding their civilisation. Their Queen Azshara created a caste of her followers, the aloof Highborne. They studied the secrets of the Well and eventually found out that they could bend the Arcane energies. While exploring the continent, the Kal'dorei have discovered the Demigod Cenarius along with many other powerful beings. Cenarius was very fond of the Elves and began teaching them the ways of nature.

The Demon Lord Sargeras felt the waves of the Well's energies which were caused by Azshara's reckless use of magic. He and his armies made his way to Azeroth and contacted the Queen, who was overwhelmed by his power and agreed to open a portal so the Burning Legion could enter.

The War of the Ancients began. Demons rained destruction on the world. Malfurion, Tyrande, Cenarius and the Dragons decided that they have to stop Azshara and shut down the Well before Sargeras enters Azeroth. Illidan heard about this and warned the Queen. He was afraid to lose the ability of using magic so he stole two vials of the Well's water.

Malfurion and his followers stormed Azshara's palace. He challenged the Queen and they fought. During their immense battle, the Well started acting strange. Eventually it collapsed because of the overload of energy. It created an explosion which caused the Great Sundering. The continent was shattered. Most of the Highborne were transformed into Naga and moved to the deeps of the newly created Maelstrom where they built their city, while the untouched ones moved to Kalimdor's shores with the other Night Elves.

The Night Elves found that their sacred mountain, Hyjal, survived the Sundering. When they reached its peak, they saw that the mountain lake up there was corrupted with the foul waters from the Well of Eternity. Illidan survived the Sundering too and reached the mountain long before Malfurion and the others did, pouring his vials into the lake, so there would be a new Well of Eternity, so there would be a new source of power for him. Because of this, Illidan was imprisoned deep below Mount Hyjal, guarded by Maiev Shadowsong and many others so he couldn't escape. With the help of Cenarius, Malfurion began studying druidism so he could heal the damaged forests. The World Tree has been planted. Night Elves moved to the shadows.

They were only re-discovered very recently, during the Third War. They united with the Humans and Orcs to defeat the invading Demons again. They succeeded, with terrible consequences. The World Tree was heavily damaged and their immortality was lost.

Night Elves do not have marriage. They choose mates. However, a Night Elf would take a lot into consideration before choosing who he or she wants to spend his or her life with. They choose a mate for eternity - or ‘till death. The Kal'dorei are very careful when it comes to this.

Their Traditions

Night Elves are perfectly in tune with nature. They do their best to protect it and preserve the natural balance. Basically, their whole community is based on druidism. Because of the respect they have for nature, the Night Elves are friends to the Tauren - and the other way around.

Night Elves worship the Moon Goddess Elune. However, while Elune is an extreme pacifist, her Priestesses are not. Some of them even join the Sentinels to be trained in the art of war.

Genders

Night Elves used to have a strict line drawn between the genders ‘till the Third War. Men would usually become Druids, studying the arts of nature and slumbering in the Emerald Dream. Women used to become Druids too, but rarely. A female had to hold extreme potential to be accepted into the ranks of the Druids. Yet even then they weren't allowed to affiliate with the Cenarion Circle. Men with no druidic powers used to serve as militia or craftsmen.

Most of the women were trained to be warriors. They joined the group of soldiers known as the Sentinels. The Sentinels are the guards of the Night Elf forests, doing whatever they need to protect their lands and their people. Men who had no druidic potential weren't allowed to affiliate with them, but were still trained to fight.

Eyes

Amber eyes are a sign of druidic potential and/or great destiny. Most of the men have amber eyes. Even those born with silver change their colour to amber if they practice druidism. Females with amber eyes were rare.

Silver eyes are a little bit more common. Even men with silver eyes used to become Druids, as long as they had at least -some- druidic powers. Most of the women used to have silver eyes. After the Third War, even females with this eye colour were accepted into the ranks of the Druids.

Xenophobia

Night Elves lived in their forests for many years, secluded from everything. And it's only natural for them to be wary when it comes to other races. All these years, the Sentinels used to kill everyone who would step into the forests. And even now entering the Kal'dorei lands is not safe. The level of xenophobia varies, but it is still advisable to make your character have distrust for other races. It is very unlikely for a Night Elf to be friends with everyone he meets on his way to Stormwind. Also, many Night Elves tend to stay in their homeland, and you should have reasons behind them leaving the groves.

Night Elves are ancient and they should be played as such. Many of them were over 4000 years when Nordrassil was damaged. Only then they started aging and it's perfectly normal to have your Night Elf of this age or perhaps even older. Night Elves fully mature at the age of 300. They could be called middle aged once they're 500. If you are going to make your Night Elf young, please have him act as such. If you are going to make him old, please have him act as such. Also, it should be noted, that even the youngest Night Elf, perhaps 300+ years old, still a child in the eyes of other Kal'dorei might be wiser than any other youngling from a younger race. 300 years is still a lot.

Profiles

Well, I've heard many people say that writing up profiles for Night Elves can be hard and tricky. Well, I'll try and cover the more common problems here (and not so common, but ridiculously wrong issues).

Place of birth
Many people do mistakes here. You are NOT born in Teldrassil. Unless you're an infant, which you can't play. Teldrassil was planted only a few years ago. Where could a Night Elf be born then? Well, there is a number of places. The most common of them would happen to be Ashenvale. Many Night Elves lived in Ashenvale before the Third War - I assume it is safe to say that Ashenvale was the most populated area. Another good idea might be Winterspring. There is also Hyjal. But you are not born in Nordrassil. Nordrassil is the World Tree, and I am pretty sure it's impossible to be born inside it or on its branches, eh? Again, Hyjal is fine, the Night Elves had quite a few settlements there. And finally, Moonglade. Nighthaven was the capital of the Kal'dorei for quite some time. Not only Druids, but all Night Elves could live there.

Family relationships
This is one of those ridiculously wrong issues. I have seen quite some profiles telling that the Night Elf lived in a ANGSTANGSTANGST family. No. Your father does not beat up your mother every day. Your mother doesn't become a whore just to run away from your father. And you don't beer bear your father to avenge your mother. Night Elves don't work like that. They are not Humans. Respect actually exists in their society.

Alignment
It has been said many times before, but I figured I'd repeat it, because mistakes are still made here. Night Elves are not Evil. So don't turn them into twisted masterminds with a greatest dream to blow up the world and marry Sargeras. Also, if you describe your Kal'dorei as a righteous, good, polite and whatnot person, don't just throw in 'Evil' as your alignment. Doesn't make sense, now does it? Yes, the Night Elves might be chaotic. They aren't exactly the type that follows strict orders and laws, mutilating themselves if they fail to obey. No. Think about them as people who work for 'a greater good'. And lastly, remember that the alignment is optional and you don't have to include it.

A few character concepts
Really, Night Elves can be a lot of things. I'll put a few of those combinations here:
1. The old-school totemic Druid (mostly males, though a female talented at this could also work)
2. The fierce ex-Sentinel with a sense of duty (I assume we are not allowed to play true Sentinels because they are guards after all, no?)
3. A useless craftsman
4. A young Druid of the Wild
5. Et cetera!
Again, these are just suggestions. There are tons of other combinations you can try. :D

Names

Well, I've seen people ask around, convinced that there is some sort of rule set of naming your Night Elves. Well, there is not. Really, at least for me, thinking up a name for a Night Elf is one of the most fun things! You can totally unleash your imagination in this. However, Night Elven names do tend to have on trait - they usually sound somewhat melodic. And about surnames... Well, usually, it's a combination of two words. Perhaps something related to the night, moon, nature or stars. Examples: Starwish, Leafsong, Shadowblade, Mooncry, Nightwhisper; et cetera.

Their Views

Here I will try to cover the most common views of the other races the Kal'dorei have.

Races
Humans - The typical Kal'dorei wouldn't trust a Human just because of their youth. Night Elves tend to see them as inexperienced troublemakers and usually treat them as a little bit inferior.
Dwarves - Dwarves make holes in the earth. Dwarves dig. Dwarves make tunnels. Basically, they tend to destroy nature. It is only natural for Night Elves to be somewhat wary of them.
Gnomes - I think it's pretty clear that the Kal'dorei despise the Gnomes. Gnomes use technology, they pollute, they defile and they make things explode. That's enough to make a Night Elf vomit.
Draenei - Draenei and Night Elves live very close to each other. They work together often. All in all, the Kal'dorei have -some- affection for them space goats.
Orcs - Orcs try to chop down the forests, Orcs killed Cenarius... Orcs are monsters in the Night Elves' eyes. One would expect a Kal'dorei to be hostile towards them.
Trolls - Let's just say it's a hate - hate thingy.
Tauren - Tauren honour nature, Tauren protect the land. The Kal'dorei and the Tauren are pretty close. They share the same beliefs, the live together peacefully in Moonglade and their Druids work together every day.
Forsaken - The Forsaken go against every law of nature. They are living dead people. Their 'unnatural' life tends to give great pause to the Kal'dorei.
Blood Elves - The Sin'dorei were the Highborne. It speaks for itself, pretty much. Both of the races hate each other because of their past.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I have also decided to throw in an additional information/fun fact part. Perhaps the little kinks might add some flavour to your RP and your character's knowledge and whatnot? :>

The Satyr

Just gonna put this lil' section here for fun. :>

So! The Satyrs are former Night Elves. Ex-Highborne, actually. They were corrupted during the War of the Ancients, having decided to use the demonic magics not just for more power, but for the Demons' sake. The Satyrs were the Highborne who swore their allegiance to Xavius, who actually was the first of Satyrs. Xavius and the other Satyrs played a big role in the war. It wasn't actually Azshara who decided to randomly let Sargeras in. Sargeras "recruited" Xavius first, and only then the future Satyr convinced the Queen that Sargeras is a god who must be "allowed" to visit Azeroth. So yeah, basically the Satyrs are Night Elves who went deeper into the corruption the the other Highborne (who remained with the Arcane and later "mutated" into High Elves).

Just a fun fact section. :D

Ancient Guardians

...or Demigods.

The Ancient Guardians of the Night Elves are treated like true deities. Even though they still count as simple Eternals, the Kal'dorei put them high above the others. They serve (or used to serve) as protectors of the Night Elves and Kalimdor. Some were the creations of Elune, some... weren't. Basically, they are the closest things to gods that actually walk Azeroth.

Now, to make a quick list of them!

Agamaggan
Agamaggan was the boar god. According to the legends he might have been one of the first beings to walk Azeroth. During the War of the Ancients, he was convinced by Cenarius to aid the Night Elves. Agamaggan was one of the reasons the War didn't end in a complete disaster. In the end, he fell to the Legion in a battle with the Pit Lord Mannoroth. Now, the Quilboar view Agamaggan as a god, building shrines and worshiping him. The Quilboar also believe that he they are the god's descendants and that the thorns they live in grew out of the puddles of the boar's blood.

Aessina
Aessina is one of the greater nature spirits. The Night Elves (who revere her) have built a shrine for the Cenarian spirit. Aessina is believed to watch over the Children of Cenarius. The Dryads of the Night Elven forests visit her shrine to pay their respects once in a while.

Aviana
Aviana, also called The Lady Raven is the Demigoddess guardian of G'Hanir, the Mother Tree. She is the personal messenger of Elune and was one of the few ties Cenarius had to his mother. Aviana was one of the Ancients who fought in the War of the Ancients. Apparently, she was killed during the War - with her death, G'Hanir died as well. The myths still talk about her appearing in random places, spying on the other races.

Cenarius
Aah, Cenarius, The Forest Lord, The Hear of the Land, what-have-you. Not much to say here because most of it is obviously known. He is the son of Elune and Malorne, later "adopted" by Ysera. Cenarius was the one who taught Druidism to Tauren and Night Elves. He is the ancestor of the Grove Keepers and Dryads (Cenarians). Cenarius fell to the corrupted Orcs led by Grom Hellscream.

Malorne
Malorne, The White Stag was a great ally of the Night Elves and Cenarius. He participated in the War of the Ancients as well. Malorne was slayed in a great battle with Archimonde. The Night Elves believe that he either sleeps in The Emerald Dream or returned to Elune's plane. There are many Kal'dorei myths talking about a secret organization of Druids who chose Malorne as their totem and seek to worship and "imitate" his power.

Omen
Omen was one of the more powerful Demigods. He was blessed by Elune and protected the "old" Kalimdor for centuries. He was one of Azeroth's defenders during the time of the first Demon invasion. However, he fell to the Legion and was forced into an artificial sleep by their Fel magics, deep in Lake Elune'ara. The Fel maddened him. Omen still lies dormant in the depths of the lake.

Ursoc and Ursol
Ursoc and Ursol were the twin bear Demigods. They were powerful allies of the Kal'dorei and worshiped by the Furbolgs as gods. They were both slain in the War of the Ancients, however, being the Eternals they are, they might have spent the years healing their bodies and souls - or so it is said.

The ancients

The ancients are also Demigod-like beings. They resemble enormous "tree people". The Kal'dorei worship them as the souls of their forests. Ancients guard the Night Elven lands - even though they usually watch for intruders and command other nature forces to eliminate them (examples being Treants, Children of Cenarius and et cetera), they still can fight themselves. The ancients also serve as mentors for the Night Elves, especially in the Druidic arts. They are living, breathing examples of infinite wisdom and the Kal'dorei tend to take their words with heed. Any Night Elf can come to the ancients for advice - and they would usually answer. While the ancients aren't divided into fields as strictly as in Warcraft III, differences between them still exist and each of them is differently skilled in every art or profession - just like anyone else. Some specialize in war tactics, some possess the greatest knowledge of Druidism, some are the masters of the alchemical arts. Yeah, the differences are there, but much weaker than it was portrayed before.

Also, please note that these views are in no way rules as to what your Night Elf should think about people. These are just basic examples to give you a sense of their mumbo-jumbo minds in general.

See also:
http://www.wowpedia.org/Kaldorei
http://www.wowpedia.org/Night_elves
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_War_of_the_Ancients
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_Waking_World...f_Eternity
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_World_Tree_a...rald_Dream
http://www.wowpedia.org/The_War_of_the_Shifting_Sands
The Wonderful Night Elf Guide by Maeven!
The Nature People - A Guide to Druids and Druidism! (By Dilnikas)

So, yeah. I hoped this helped. Also, I might update this whenever I think up something more.

~ Dilly
Nice guide :D
The worlds a roller coaster,
And I am not strapped in,
Maybe I should hold with care,
But my hands are busy in the air.

Like Father, Like Son. The path of a Beastmaster.
I added a profile section with a few (hopefully!) helpful tips! :D

And thankye, Drust.
Durhurhur, helped me. <3 you Dil. Maybe now I can tackle that thing called a durids.
[Image: lichkingfell.png]
Moose Wrote:Durhurhur, helped me. <3 you Dil. Maybe now I can tackle that thing called a durids.

Thank you, Moose. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :3
Updated again! Added the sections about their names and their views of other races! Hurr.
Added a little fun-fact-section about Satyrs and started one about Night Elf-related Demigods. Probably gonna add more later today... or this week. xD

EDIT: Yes, I'll be adding fun fact stuff to the guide from nao on.
Added a little fun-fact-section about Satyrs and started one about Night Elf-related Demigods. Probably gonna add more later today... or this week. xD

EDIT: Yes, I'll be adding fun fact stuff to the guide from nao on.
Right, so! Split the whole guide into two large parts - the main "guide" part and the additional information/fun fact part. Sorta finished the Demigod mini-article and wrote some stuff about Ancients.

I'm tired. ._.
Right, so! Split the whole guide into two large parts - the main "guide" part and the additional information/fun fact part. Sorta finished the Demigod mini-article and wrote some stuff about Ancients.

I'm tired. ._.
I'ld like to provide some constructive criticism and my own opinion if you'll take it :):

First of all, "kal'dorei" is a spelling mistake: it's actually spelt "kaldorei"!

Quote:Night Elves fully mature at the age of 300. They could be called middle aged once they're 500.

As far as I know or can tell, night elves mature at the same rate both mentally and physically as us humans do. As shown here, Shandris wanted to fight in the War of the Ancients but in addition to that, she was in some form of a romantic relationship with Jarod Shadowsong. And so, from this I believe that night elves mature at the same rate as humans do; however, they are not fully accepted into society as adults until they are 300 years old or so.

Quote:Blood Elves - The Sin'dorei were the Highborne. It speaks for itself, pretty much. Both of the races hate each other because of their past.

In addition to that, I believe night elves pity the blood elves but also preceive them as a threat to the world because of their reckless abuse of magic and of course, the Sunwell.

Other than that, this was an excellent guide and I think you truly caught the spirit of "true" night elves. Well done!
To be fair, the text leaves her physical age extremely open to interpretation. It says she was a "Young Girl" and she was good with a bow. We've gone over this point before a lot, and there's not much canon evidence to support either position (Though there's a rather old girl who has a smaller-than-adult model in Astranaar). With that said, we choose to go with the RPG guidelines, which, while they present some really weird things sometimes, do offer reasonable lore that Blizzard hasn't provided.
I think dorei means children of or those of, or some such, while kal would be star. Same way Sin means blood and Quel means high or royal, thus; Quel'dorei, Sin'dorei and Kal'dorei. That's how I've understood it, anyway.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Kaghuros Wrote:To be fair, the text leaves her physical age extremely open to interpretation. It says she was a "Young Girl" and she was good with a bow. We've gone over this point before a lot, and there's not much canon evidence to support either position (Though there's a rather old girl who has a smaller-than-adult model in Astranaar). With that said, we choose to go with the RPG guidelines, which, while they present some really weird things sometimes, do offer reasonable lore that Blizzard hasn't provided.
To be fair, the text leaves her physical age extremely open to interpretation. It says she was a "Young Girl" and she was good with a bow. We've gone over this point before a lot, and there's not much canon evidence to support either position (Though there's a rather old girl who has a smaller-than-adult model in Astranaar). With that said, we choose to go with the RPG guidelines, which, while they present some really weird things sometimes, do offer reasonable lore that Blizzard hasn't provided.

I believe if one is able to have a romantic relationship and is able to wield a bow at a sixteen then it would indicate that they have "matured" which is what led me to believe that the "adulthood is reached at 300 years old" was the age at which the night elf as a society would accept one as an adult. And in truth, that makes a lot of sense considering their society is dominated by 10,000+ years old individuals.

Nostra Wrote:I think dorei means children of or those of, or some such, while kal would be star. Same way Sin means blood and Quel means high or royal, thus; Quel'dorei, Sin'dorei and Kal'dorei. That's how I've understood it, anyway.

That is indeed true; however, the race's name was originaly the kaldorei, and then the quel'dorei and the sin'dorei. The ' indicates that they broke of the "kal" part and replaced it with a new suffix. In the official WoW enyclopedia they're spelt like so:
Kaldorei.
Quel'dorei.
Sin'dorei.
Khandora Rockbeard.
Evangeline Delamor.
Can Night Elves be 11,000 years old?
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  c0rzilla's Short and Basic Guide to Worgen c0rzilla 14 4,331 03-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Notaris
  A Guide to Racial Prejudice in WoW Thoradin 43 12,892 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Paylonas
  A Cosmic Duality; Sin'dorei and Kaldorei flammos200 20 13,442 09-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  The Golden Boys: A Guide to Goblin Geoni 16 9,288 07-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  [Guide] Gilneas and You! Observations on the peninsula nation Xigo 16 7,739 06-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Alpharius