The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Levels and Roleplay?
Greetings,

I have a slight issue concerning levels (and skill progression). Is there a way levels are in harmony with roleplay? Some RPers are saying levels are totally worthless -- but I want to say, this is STILL WoW. And while the PvE or PvP activities aren't the focal point of the server (happily, try RPing on a PvP server....), I am pretty doubtful about how levels would be treated.

Would it be fine to classify roughly (I emphatize that word) or lightly (I emphatize it even more) a character's charisma, or strength, or combat skills, in their roleplay, according to their level? Because, it doesn't seem so right that a level-20 can prove just as skillful, with only the beginning spells, with so fewer attributes - and, also, so fewer time spent around - than a level-80 wearing greater gear and equipment - testament to the varied hardships they've been enduring, where the level-20 would rather be a 'freshman', to some extent.

I understand not everyone has to begin their roleplay a trainee Paladin/Warlock/Whatever. But, I am nonetheless confused about that matter - is there a way levels can blend in with the roleplay? Again I am not meaning levels should ONLY matter; but I suppose they would, somehow, influence on a character's skills in combat (either duelling, obviously, or even rolling/text fights), alongside with so many other parameters, like the personality, story, race, class, etc.

Just enlighten me on this...I do like to intertwine WoW mechanics with consistent, fair and down-to-earth roleplay.
Level in no way affects RP on CotH, it's really to seperate the Peons from the Grunts.
Roleplay-wise therefore, could it be acceptable to think that Peons are not so established people, still somehow 'learning' the ways of the new order of the world, growing their might to match that of people (the Grunts) that have adapted easier - once again, to some extent. Since the community seems very extremely utterly common-sense-gifted (yes..), it could be true that a "level-80" Pristress, ICly recently initiated into such a role, would only use basic-most spells and wear basic-most equipment.

But then, it's really just that the fact a level-20 owning in battle a level-80 (roll's) doesn't sound SO right.
You roleplay what you want to so long as it doesn't break lore and doesn't make you the king of the world.

It doesn't matter whether you're level 1 or level 80. A level 80, because of the way we do it, could be a never before played character--you're thinking retail, where hours of sweat, blood and tears go into getting to max level. Here, you just write a little bit and submit it for review. We're not going to make levels matter in power now, or ever.
[Image: lichkingfell.png]
if you wish your level to decide how good your character is at fighting, healing, stabbing or knitting based on your level, go ahead. But there is no rule on it, and everyone I know ignore character level in RP.

Your character can be skilled without being high level or possessing the game-mechanical abilities and talents.
ALL HAIL THE TROLL
Well, I really suppose it's because I usually play in servers or games where people lack common-sense...Basically, increasing levels in-game is merely a way to survive when exploring high-levels areas. That is, I myself would consider my character a trainee Paladin even after passing Gruntship, simply because a Paladin doesn't access its full powers before years of hard training. The only thing that changes is that equipment might not look as great and rich on a level-20, no matter who they are ICly [and actually, it often does, according to the said character's storyline, so it's pretty void], and that fighting between a Peon and a Grunt really has to be done through rolling [which is pretty more fun, too, than pressing a few buttons and hotkeys].

Aye, I never said I used to roleplay in a setting where people had actually some wits, AND where progression was done in a roleplay-way only...usually one of those, but not both in conjunction.
Here's how I feel about this. While some people like to use levels as a median for how "powerful" your character is... try to think of it this way. It takes a person... all of what, half a year or less to get to level 80? Now, how could a character possibly make leaps and bounds that -fast-? Realistically speaking, someone couldn't.

That's a big reason we discourage people from saying "Well, I'm level 80, and stronger than you." Because, if that was the case, an experienced war vet who has a good profile could be beaten by a level 80 commoner with no experience other than the level they have.

We don't say you can't play this way. It's fine if you wish to start at level one, and go on "up the ranks", but please, do -not- say you are stronger than someone based on your level. Or your race. Or your class.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I'm not meaning to be "stronger" when I am levels higher than someone. I just wondered if there were a lore or general guideline concerning those.

Quote:Here's how I feel about this. While some people like to use levels as a median for how "powerful" your character is... try to think of it this way. It takes a person... all of what, half a year or less to get to level 80? Now, how could a character possibly make leaps and bounds that -fast-? Realistically speaking, someone couldn't.

That's the other side of the equation indeed. Even Arthas didn't need this long to level-up..so to speak.
Even David could kill Goliath. Levels do not exsist in real life, and shouldn't exsist in role-play. A child who has never shot a gun could easily kill a master gunslinger with the pull of a trigger. That is how I view it. Of course, if all parites involved in RP agree to make level matter, then do as you will, since ultimately this is a game, and a game is meant to be fun.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
I run many events that have people of all levels and I have seen level 12 characters be more courageous or brave than even a level 80. I have seen level 80 characters that are not strong or skilled. I have seen level 24 characters with more knowledge of the world that a level 80. It depends how you roleplay not how the game ranks you as you progress in a calculator of "skill" which is invisible to roleplay.

My events allow people of all levels no matter where we are. So that is my 2 cents.
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Another thing is alot of events are done through the use of typing. My level 13 rouge with the help of 5 other people killed an imaginary ice elemental in northrend. (using rolls of course) this way levels aren't even brought into question.
[loading tips]: after you bring your friends to Azeroth make sure to bring them oustide of Azeroth as well! [me]: "like to Outlands?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you deal with Roleplay ruts? KomodoTheCashew 10 3,948 09-23-2014, 02:44 AM
Last Post: cartoonkarl
  Roleplay and adult themes DanFernandez 34 7,747 06-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Last Post: Roxas65
  Your Favorite Character [To Roleplay] Xigo 47 8,521 03-06-2014, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  Children of the Earthmother - A guide to tauren roleplay (incomplete) ghaskan 7 4,965 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ghaskan
  Your Level Affecting Your Roleplay Spiralin 20 3,562 02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Spiralin