The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Character or dummy?
So, uh, I haven't really been the most active person on the Forums for the past few months, so now I decided to do something I always wanted.
Creating a useless guide that nobody's going to read! Hooray!

Let us begin, shall we?

==========================================================================================
Character or dummy?
==========================================================================================
Chapter I
You are not prepared!

"So, what's with the silly name? My character isn't a dummy, he's alive... or well... undead."

Glad you might ask that. In terms: character or dummy I mean a deeper understanding of it. It is making your characters very real, not just pupets or crash test dummies like I noticed oh so many times over the time I've been here (not going to point fingers at anyone).

So... you finally decided to go for it and make your first or second or even fifty-second character... It might seem like you have a great idea for the character, but before anything, I'd like to suggest looking at Qaza's guide here: Creating characters you will love to play. I found myself with a character I didn't like to play till I worked hard on her and actually made it enjoyable.

"Okay! I took into account everything and I am ready to make a character!"

Stop your horses there! Don't siege Orgrimmar just yet... (joke; I wouldn't suggest doing that under any circumstances).
When creating your character be open to opportunity, don't fully plan out what -MUST- happen to your character. If you do that, you're gonna have yourself a crash test dummy like character. Though, do keep your character's personality, dreams, goals in life in mind. Start out small; make your character simple, maybe even weak, clumsy, useless. This in term will leave a lot of room for development and hundreds upon hundreds of ways your character can end up through a series of storylines.
Believe me, having a character that is already an established paladin for example will leave you bored and out of ideas in the end. That character won't last long on your playables list and you'll find yourself making a new one.

Point is: start out simple.

Now you're ready to attack Orgrimmar!
(just kidding... again... and no, I don't hate Orcs, honest!)

Chapter II
Making the decisions

"I made a character like you told me to, but he's boring... What do I do? You lied! I hate you! :("

Nobody said that it will be easy. Now, that you have your character you should try to become one with him or her. Silly, no? Well, it's very important like for any actor to get into character. Role-Play is all about acting; acting out roles of characters you created. Yet, there's a negative side to this. Death.
Yes, I know... We -ALL- hate our characters dying, unless they are the pupet crash test dummy types. Just accept the fact that the world your character lives in is deadly at every corner.

So. Making decisions. This is very important! Making decisions for your character will open a closed door, which you will enter through, but won't be able to go back. That is why it is important to be one with your character, so you are sure that your character would take that very decision the way you will. We are actors, interpreters to be exact as we interpret what our characters would do/say at a given situation.

"This is preposterous poppycock! I need to become a pixely 3D avatar in a silly game?"

Yes and no. You should be one with your character, but stay in the bounds of reality. Yes, it -is- a -game-! I'm not crazy, am I?

Point is: stay in-character and don't miss opportunities.

Now, if you don't mind I will give you a live example of my own character: Diandra.

"Boo! Nobody wants to hear that!"

Well then skip this part if you -really- feel that way.

Anyway. When I first made Diandra and her overall character sketch, she was still a weak little girl that was trying to play tough when she wasn't. She couldn't even carry plate as it was too heavy for her weak body. But then an opportunity came forth: The Sovereignty. It being for a noble cause and following the Light, Diandra went ahead with it being all Miss Goody-good-good.
The result, now, is more than I ever expected her to become. She has outgrown my wildest imagination. Strong, noble, harsh and strict at times, brave, Captain of the Sovereignty. Often described as simply an armor-clad woman or a ballbuster (that one makes me laugh). She has developped into a character I love to play any day.

Chapter III
A horse kicked me once... It hurt!

Often do I find myself looking at miracle cures. Sure, there is the Light that can mend wounds, but... I often notice people using potions or simple bandages and then having their characters all healthy and okay with no side effects or anything. I also noticed people being to near death and after having themselves simply bandaged... they're jump around all happy!

Hello! Azeroth to the New Gods! Your character is just a pixely 3D avatar in a game, but in Role-Play he's just as alive as you or me. So if he gets stabbed or slammed on the head with a huge stick - it HURTS!

Always pay attention at what happens to your character during a fight. Every hit, injury, wound will have its side-effects on your character. Lets take for example your Troll character fighting a Night Elf (unlikely?). Your Troll gets an arrow to his leg, it pierces through muscle and and nearly through the entire bone. In most cases the pain will result in agony and the inability to move with that leg and just a simple bandage or a health potion will not fix it right up or within five minutes. If you find yourself alive and manage to get home on one leg and have it fixed, it doesn't mean your character is okay either. It is always best to determine how long a certain wound would heal, given the treatment your character gets. So... that leg... Maybe a week? Just because it would get annyoing if it was longer.

Though, think about it. It opens up a little Role-Play and you'll have something to talk about in a tavern when someone asks you about the bandage and the walking stick.
(this was more of a rant than anything else...)

Point is: it hurts and you should always RP accordingly; you'll see, it will be fun and well... maybe dangerous. KICK HIM WHILE HE'S DOWN!.

Chapter IV
Would you like to know the secret to eternal happyness? *dramatic pause* Hit Alt+F4!

And all this useless nonesence comes down to... quite a simple thing.
Stay in-character.

Yes, all of what I said is useless... I know. I just ruined... what... ten minutes of your lives? Well sorry... But maybe at least the people that think that their character is a crash test dummy will pay attention.

"Jeez! Shut up already, Aisha! We hate you! Go away for ruining our precious time with your nonesence!"

Fine. I guess I'll pester you a nother day... Now go attack Orgrimmar!
(yes! my evil plan is coming together nicely... drive the people crazy and make them attack Orgrimmar! YES! Muhahaha!)

I read it. :)
It puts the grammar in the RP or else it gets the hose again...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  IC OOC L (In-Character Out-Of-Character Location) Judgernaut 15 3,460 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Judgernaut
  Divine Magic and You - A Dummy's Guide to the Divine Theik 1 1,291 04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Einhander