The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

A Phoenix's Wings
Still Of The Night

Spoiler:
It was eerily quiet during the nighttime in the 'Court of the Sun' one fateful night. Many Elves simply went to bed or enjoyed the hustle and bustle of Silvermoon's infamous and lavish taverns. The only ones out wandering the streets were those whom had a purpose for being there. A destination. A goal.

If you were to ask one of these Sin'Dorei what their objective was, they would give you a number of replies. 'I'm headed home, this was a ca-ra-zy night,' one might say. Another would tell you that 'it's none of your business'. There was an incredible multitude of answers one might receive from these travelers who stepped on finely-crafted roads kissed by the moon's light. But only one Elf on those roads would reply 'I am headed to the Court of the Sun to meet an old friend. An old mentor'. This Elf's name was Arianna.

Her garments were relatively simple for her tonight. She wore robes that had but three colors, the colors that many Blood Elves wore. Red, black, and gold. For to be honest, she didn't really believe that this day would be that important. The old man she was headed to see often acted on a whim, and it would be not unlike him to summon someone at this late time of night, where the moon was at its peak in the sky. And so the Elf traveled up the stairs that led to the revered Court, only to find herself being greeted halfway up by a wizened Elf in what appeared to be night robes, appropriate for one about to head to bed.

Her eyes widened as she recognized this Elf. His skin was adorned with wrinkles, showing just how old he was even amongst the Sin'Dorei. With faded green eyes, dark blue robes, and a long white beard, he was truly an oddity amongst his people. And this oddity's name was Marentho Nightsong.

The two had quite the history together. For it was Marentho that trained Arianna in the arcane arts for a great deal of her life. Even when he was not her designated mentor, she would come to him for advice whenever she needed the words of an old wise man. It was after her parents died that she truly began to view him as a sort of parental figure. Over their many years with one another, the two become very close. They both knew each other very well. And they might as well have been related for how they treated one another. Though they did not always get along, they always ended up reconciling and renewing their relationship with one another.

"Arianna! I have good news!" he yelled towards the woman as he hurried over to her, leaning on the cane clutched in his right hand as he did such. The younger Elf raised an eyebrow at this. Her eyes inspected the man for a brief moment before they spotted the unopened letter he held in his free hand. And it was at that moment that a look of surprise came upon her face.

"What is that, Marentho?" She looked continued staring at the letter in the old Elf's hand, even as he bent down to catch his breath. Arianna quickly closed the distance between the two, her pace quickened by a bright sense of excitement. "Is it-."

"Yes! Yes, it is. I..." the man gasped for air once more "...I wanted to hand it to you myself." As he stood upright he offered a friendly and eager smile. It seemed unnatural on his face to Arianna, for there were few times she ever saw the man smile. He was usually much more grumpy. Arianna swiftly took the letter from him with a polite nod of her head before inspecting it. The parchment had been wrinkled by Marentho's holding of it, but it was still legible. She inspected it closely, noting the large purple symbol of the Kirin Tor marking the pages.

"...By the Sunwell. They've accepted me?"

"Yes, they have," Marentho replied, seeming to have regained his composure. "And that means we have little time to spare. The Kirin Tor are an impatient lot."

"I doubt they would appreciate being called a 'lot'," Arianna said with a playful tone to her voice as the two hurried into the Court of the Sun. It was relatively empty, save the guards who nodded to the pair as they entered the portal chamber.

It was a nice and tiny little room. Shelves here and there, loaded with rows upon rows of books. Tiny little artifacts that would be considered priceless to certain people. Cabinets filled with arcane materials and runes. And sure enough there was a portal already opened in the center of the room.

"I've had the portal prepared for you. You must depart as soon as possible." Things were thrown about in the room as Marentho searched through its many cabinets, muttering to himself all the while. Old trinkets, robes, rods, and other assorted objects soon found them displaced upon the chamber's red carpet. Eventually Marentho's messy search ended as he retrieved a small staff, both of its ends glowing a strong purple.

He shoved the enchanted weapon into Arianna's hands unceremoniously. "Take this. You will need it more than me." As she held the staff with a perplexed look upon her face, the old man smiled. "Nervous, Arianna?"

"Well, you just pushed some strange staff into my arms, and I am now to step into a portal to Light-knows-where. So please, excuse me for being a bit nervous!"

"You mean Dalaran." He seemed to ignore her last sentence.
"Dalaran. Whatever. And I am to..." She looked at the letter once more, just to make sure. "...Hmm. Report to Archmagus Orihen Malfos for a test of some sort."
"Excellent! Now then! Are you prepared for the trials ahead, child?"

Arianna gulped before she looked into the shimmering portal that would take her to the grand city of Dalaran. She knew that it would be there where she would train. That it was there she would become a member of the Kirin Tor. A clammy hand clasped her shoulder as the woman heard the old man speak once more.

"Arianna. Whatever you do. Do not show any sign of weakness. Be confident, or you will be eaten alive. Remember the basics. Don't make any enemies. And for your own sake, worry more about your studies than your hair."

She nodded to each little tidbit of advice the old one gave her. Though he was telling her things she had already been told countless before, she humored the man with her acknowledgment of his words. It was the least she could do for all the years he helped her learn the arcane arts. Eventually though, she heard something from his lips she hadn't heard before

"Your parents would be proud of you. Your family should be. And I am. Now go. Make us all proud, child." He let go of her with a wide smile on his face.

Tears welled up in the woman's eyes moments before she stepped through that shimmering portal. They flowed freely as she reached the other side of it. And they clouded her vision as she looked at the towering purple spires of the grand city of magus. She had entered the place where she would be tested. Where her trials would go underway. And where her aptitude as a mage would be judged by those deemed capable of doing such.

She had entered Dalaran. And it was there that she prayed she would become one of its mighty Archmagus.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Something New

Spoiler:
Brilliant sunlight beamed down upon the great city of Dalaran, blinding Arianna for but a brief moment as she stepped from the dark portal and into the light. Her vision was blurred, but she could catch glimpses upon her magnificent environment as it came into a clearer view. She stood at the edge of a large marble circle, pale red bricks making up the sole pathway to it on the opposite side. The ground around this marble circle was covered in healthy grass, the countless green blades only being broken up by the occasional flower or tree. The grand purple buildings surrounding the marble formed a sort of wall around Arianna and seemed tall enough to touch the clouds themselves.

As she took all of this in, a simple High Elf in plain purple robes walked up to the perplexed Sin'Dorei. He seemed to inspect her with piercing blue eyes, taking in her every feature. His hair was a pale blond, resembling Arianna's in many ways save for length and style, for the man's hair was tied back into a long ponytail which reached down to his hips. The size difference was very obvious between the two, and any bystander would quickly notice that the High Elf had at least six inches on the relatively short woman that was Arianna. Quickly and unceremoniously, he spoke to Ari, the words practically flying off of his tongue.

"Are you Arianna Dawnbreaker?" he asked, as though just asking another mundane every day question. And to be frank, it was to him. But to Arianna, it was an unusual question. Because it's not every day some random stranger comes up to you and outright says 'I've been looking for you', which is what the High Elf's words implied to the girl.

"Yes, I am," she replied in a curt and polite tone of voice. "Might I have your name, sir?"

The High Elf let out a snort at her words. "What? You mean you don't already know it?" The man crossed his arms over his chest, an arrogant smirk accompanying his playful tone of voice. Arianna's eyes widened as she heard his question. Why would she know someone's name? What, was this High Elf some legendary figure she did not know about? A sort of panic struck her. Should she had known about him? Was she being disrespectful by not knowing him?

A light chuckle came from the Quel'Dorei as he watched Arianna's face betray the panic she was feeling. He flicked his wrist at her, as if to wave off her worry. "Worry not, Sin'Dorei. I was merely playing." He rolled his eyes. "Your people are much too serious lately it seems. But back to the subject at hand. I, my dear Sin'Dorei, am Archmage Orihen Malfos of the Kirin Tor."

A sigh of relief eminated from Arianna's lips, the woman's posture loosening as she relaxed. "Ah. Then you are the one meant to train me, yes? Where shall we be headed to beg-."

"We shall stay right here." Orihen said sharply, interrupting Arianna's words in a rather abrupt manner. She let out a quiet 'hmph' as the man continued speaking. "I rather enjoy the scenery here, no? The droll of a tiny classroom takes its toll on you over the years, I'm afraid." He let out a sympathetic sigh for himself. "Therefore, I shall test your aptitude as a mage here! And tell me, Sin'Dorei, do you want to know what this test consists of?"

She took the bait. "...What does it consist of?"

Orien held up his pointer finger. "One question. Only one measly question." He smirked. "I bet you're telling yourself right now, 'this should be easy, only one question, I got this'! Well allow me to tell you that this question can be anything. Absolutely anything."

Arianna's jaw dropped in disbelief. "...Anything? But that's impossible! One cannot know everything!"

The Quel'Dorei let out a taunting 'tsk, tsk, tsk'. "An Archmage must know as much as possible. So dear Arianna, I strongly suggest you spend this week studying! For at exactly this time in seven days, I will test you here. One question Arianna. Can you answer one question? For if you do not answer it correctly, I will refuse to teach you and you can head right on back to your 'golden city'." The man let out a snort at his reference to Silvermoon City.

"But! What sort of category is this question! Where should I look for the answ-"

"Time is ticking Sin'Dorei! You have no time to ask me questions! You simply have time to figure out what the answer is! Now go! And come back here in seven days." He offered her a friendly smile as she turned to walk away.

"Good luck, aspiring one! You will need it!"

And it is with those words that Arianna ran. She ran as fast as she could towards one of the many libraries of Dalaran. The young Elf let out a groan as her feet carried her onward.

"This is going to be a long week!"
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Meaning

Spoiler:
"It's quite amazing how time passes, isn't it? On some occasions, it will simply fly by in the blink of an eye. And at others, it will become slow and drag out. To me it seems like it simply chooses to travel at whatever speed most inconveniences you. When you need an hour to do something, you suddenly have but only half of one. And should you be waiting for time to pass, you will find that it seems to take longer and longer for it to go by.

In conclusion. Time is a jerk."

-Orihen Malfos

An entire week had passed since Orihen gave Arianna a simple challenge. Be able to answer one question, and only one question, when the day came. The day that this small test would be given was today.

Arianna strolled down the streets of Dalaran, a stern look on her face. Her flaxen hair bounced with every step she took. Determination, confidence, and a little bit of anticipation was what drove this woman down the brick-lain paths. She paid no need to the trivialities of the people around her for her mind was dead set upon the goal she saw before her.
As she entered the garden, the Archmage known as Orihen Malfos let out a smug smirk as he watched the girl from a distance. He was leaning against a tree, arms crossed over his chest with. One leg went over the other, so that his feet might be on opposite sides as he stood upon them. Eventually though the man pushed himself off of the tree in a single carefree motions before walking to meet his student.

"Ah, Arianna. I am pleased. You've managed to come." His smirk only increased in size, his voice having a cocky tone to it. "And on time too! Excellent." Oh how Arianna wished to simply belt this annoying Elf across the face, but she understood the restraint that was required here. "Now then, are you prepared for your question?"

Her only reply to Orihen was a swift nod of her head. She allowed herself a moment of amusement, as she wondered if that was in fact the question. Though she didn't dare speak aloud to the Archmage to confirm this. The two were silent for the better part of a minute, before Arianna perked an eyebrow. "Yes, I am prepared."

Orihen's smirk had turned into a smile at this point. "Ah! Excellent! And you did not ask if that was the one question." He let out a 'tsk, tsk, tsk' as he waved his pointer finger in the air, like a teacher might to a misbehaving child. "You would be surprised how many aspiring Archmagus ask me if that is. Though I admire their cleverness, it really gets ol-. Oh! Where are my manners! Look at me, telling you things you don't need to know. Now then, here is your question." He cleared his throat with an 'ahem', covering his mouth with a hand as he did such. Orihen's expression and tone of voice suddenly became much more stern and serious. "What does it mean to be an Archmage?"

Arianna's eyes widened in surprise at the question. She had expected something along the lines of 'what is the fifty-seventh way a fire ball spell can go wrong'. Her mind raced to find the answer to this question as she closed her eyes, searching for some sort of response to Orihen's test. She thought of the past week, and all of the studying she had done. And when she was done thinking of that, she thought of all the studying she had done in her entire life. Time marched on as Orihen tapped his foot on the group repetedly, obviously growing impatient. But eventually, Arianna let forth a smirk as she stared into Orihen's eyes, a look of confidence upon her face.

"An Archmage must understand that one does not get anything in life handed to them. They need to give effort before they obtain anything. And while they might find themselves studying the most trivial of things, study them they must. For an Archmage needs to have intricate knowledge of anything they decide to learn."

"To be an Archmage means to dedicate yourself to the study of magic. To learn everything you can about it. And upon discovering all that you can, use it. Use it to better the world. Use it to protect your friends, family, and kin. Use to to fight for whatever cause you believe in. For the Archmage needs a purpose other than to simply be a walking textbook. They must make use of their powers, otherwise they are just not really an Archmage."

Orihen gave Arianna a playful slow-clap. His smirk had only just reappeared upon his face. "An excellent answer, my dear Arianna." The man began striding away from the garden, calling out to the aspiring Archmage as he went away. "I will send for you when your next test is prepared. For you have passed today's one. A fair warning though, my student."

"It will only get harder from here.'
Fun and Adventure

Only a day passed before Orihen managed to catch Arianna sitting alone at the bar of the Ledgerdemain Lounge in the shimmering city of Dalaran. The inn itself was empty, for it was late at night. The patrons there were waving their goodbyes to one another. One of the barmaids was going about, ensuring that the magic-powered broomsticks were cleaning the room properly.

The Ledgerdemain Lounge was a lavish establishment to say the least. Its lower level had extravagant decorations, multiple shades of purple dominating the paved stonework that made up the foundation of the building. Tables were scattered across the room the two Elves found themselves in, four chairs at each one. Flowers and candles powered by arcane energies adorned these tables, bringing light and beauty to every corner of the structure. The bar itself was carved from wood, and must have surely been crafted by a master of the arts, for it was so appealing to the eye. Scattered drinks lied here and there on the bar counter, each one being meticulously picked up and cleaned by the bartender, who coincidentally had the same nickname as Arianna. Ari. They both found this to their amusement, and had occasionally joked about it during Arianna's past visits.

Orihen casually slid into a stool next to his pupil, gazing at the drink she cupped in her hand. It was Dalaran White, a rather common wine that could be found in the city it was named after. He shook his head, letting out a hearty chuckle before stating "Ah, I've always been privy to Dalaran Red myself, Arianna. But please, I digress." The man leaned forward, letting his elbows rest on the counter before him. That playful grin had returned to his face. "Are you prepared to hear your next challenge, child?"

Arianna nodded her head in reply. "Of course I am. Tell me what I must do."

The Archmage's smile only increased in width as he whispered to the girl.

Her eyes widened. "Say what?"
More Fun and Adventure

Drip.

Drop.

Drip.

Drop.

Drip. Drop. Drip. Drop.

The sound of falling water echoed throughout the tunnel before Arianna as she stood at its entrance. Barricades and fortifications constructed about the hole in the earth, sharpened sticks pointing outwards from its jagged entrance. To her, it was painfully obvious that whatever was in there wanted nothing to do with the outside world. Unfortunately, it was going to have to meet Arianna. She recalled the Archmage's words.

“You are to travel north of Death's Stand for exactly two minutes. Upon doing such, you will spot a cave. Enter this cave, and retrieve me a tiny trinket from deep within it. I do not care what. I simply need proof that you were in it.”

She groaned momentarily before stepping inside the cavern, her footsteps relatively quiet compared to the sounds of echoing water drops. The walls of her surroundings were jagged and unruly, bending and twisting in such strange ways that Arianna would occasionally stumble forward due to missing a step, or hitting her shoulder against a protruding piece of stone. A profound stench lingered in the air, and it smelled of rotting flesh. The Elf wrinkled her nose as she pressed onwards into the cave.

It grew darker and darker as she continued, and the passage she was in expanded in size as time passed on. Light began to emanate from Arianna's staff as she uttered a light spell, illuminating her immediate surroundings. Though she would never admit it, her predicament unnerved her. Stuck in a dark cave. Looking for…something noteworthy, she knew not what.

Eventually, she spotted a strange glow ahead. A shimmering blue light filled the passage before her. Eyes widening in surprise, Arianna began to pick up the pace, running forward to grab whatever this purple light came from so she might swiftly exit the eerie cavern. And eventually…the woman slipped. She screamed in terror as she slid down the side of a pit, the ground oddly devoid of rocks. Instead, she was falling into a dirt pit, which made the woman curious. However, looking ahead, she could see that this blue light came from within the pit. Getting closer, she managed to identify exactly what the glow came from. A vein of some sort of blue gems.

She smashed into the vein, rocks scattering about her as her slide began to come to a halt. She picked herself off of the ground, wiping dirt off her rear as she did such. Looking down upon the stones, she admitted that they were quite lovely. They all had round shapes, and had the purest of blue glows. She could only imagine that Orihen wished to use them as jewelry as she looked about her surroundings. The blue glow was strong enough to illuminate all of her immediate surroundings. She could see the little drops of water falling to the ground. The dirt where she slid resettling. The rotting corpses that were in the pit as well. The ten giant spiders right above her.

Wait. Giant spiders?
Too Much Fun and Adventure

Her heart raced as she sped through the cave, breathing heavily in her panic. The sounds of a thousand tiny legs crawling across the walls echoed throughout the cavern. Water splashed as a foot stomped into it, and then was splashed a hundred more times as the little feet of the spiders skittered across. Light emanated from her hand from a spell she had cast earlier, which reflected off the walls and the bodies of the creatures that sought to assault her.

Arianna allowed a look over her shoulder, praying to the Sun that she was no longer being pursued by fowl creatures. She would soon find that her prayers were in vain though, for the spiders were still following her, and in greater numbers as well. More and more of the arachnids joined in the chase as they traversed throughout the cavern. The swelling feeling of panic inside the Elf caused her to run down passageways she had not seen before. She had lost any sense of direction at this point, and merely wished to flee from the spiders, the water around her feet reaching about her ankles now.

Suddenly, Arianna lost her footing and tripped, hitting her head against the ground as she fell onto her back. She found herself dazed and confused for a brief moment, before trying to stand up again. Unfortunately for her, she did not have the time to do such. The spiders swarmed and overtook the woman before she could even push herself into an upright position, nipping at her body with their poisonous fangs. For some strange reason though, the spiders did not really 'chomp' into Arianna. They only seemed to wish to hold her in place with their mouths.

Unfortunately for the spiders, Arianna could care less as to why she wasn't dead. Chanting came from her lips as arcane energies began swelling within her body. Suddenly, the energy thrust out from her in a magical explosion, throwing the spiders away from the Elf in a most merciless manner. Some of them smashed against the walls before falling to the ground, dead. Others found limbs broken. Still others were dazed. Nevertheless, they kept their distance from Arianna.

She took the brief moment to look around herself. She saw the spiders crawling on the walls, dragging their fallen kin to the sides. She saw a light emanating from one end of the passageway, which she could only assume led to the outside world. And looking to the other side, she saw a giant spider that towered over the others. She could swear it was as big as a Tauren, maybe even bigger.

The oversized arachnid let forth an ear piercing 'scree', forcing Arianna to cup her hands over her ears before becoming deaf due to the sheer intensity of the sound. It then charged forward at her with alarming alacrity, stabbing its pointed feet at her as she rolled about on the ground, desperate to avoid its strikes. She swiftly muttered yet another spell, transporting her body across the invisible ley lines so that she might end up ten yards away, closer to the light. Her hands pushed her up onto her feet, as she began running.

The spiders gave chase to Arianna, the great one leading them towards their prey. Her feet moved faster and faster, desperately trying to escape whatever fate the spiders had in store for her. She could see the end of the cave. Hope swelled within her heart, a smile of relief on her face as she continued sprinting for her salvation. As she grew closer though, a question crept its way into her mind. Why is there water falling outside of this cave?

As soon as she asked herself this question, the answer formed into being within her mind. A waterfall! Her feet carried her forward until she was just before the exit to the cave, and lept out and through the crashing wall of water. As she found herself on the other side, she looked down, if only to see sharpened rocks awaiting her in the waters below. Arianna knew that if she simply allowed herself to fall, she would be killed on the sharpened stones jutting upwards from the waters. Swiftly, the woman began uttering a spell to herself as she fell down towards her death.

Only moments before she would have hit the ground did she complete her spell. A simply arcane magic known as slow fall. She drifted gently to the ground, planting her feet firmly on the land adjacent to the raging waters. Her eyes peered upwards to the cave she had just leaped from, to see a thousand eyes glaring back at her. The spiders watched her, but dared not to give chase for some strange reason. Arianna breathed a smile of relief, before falling onto her back. Grass and gravel surrounded her body as she allowed herself to look about her environment. The land here was healthy, and lush with wildlife. Trees, shrubs, and the occasional critter surrounded her, seeming to peer at the newcomer with curiosity. It was then that the trees spoke to her, the shrubs whispered to one another, and the creatures bodies become distorted. Her eyes rolled inside her head before she blacked out.

Arianna's eyes squinted open as she peered about her surroundings. She found herself in a cozy bed, in Dalaran. Sunlight glistened through the window next to her, shining brightly into the room she found herself in. It was a tiny chamber at that, only her bed and a small nightstand next to her inside the room, along with what seemed to be a great deal of medicine on the counter itself. The door opened and closed, as Orihen strutted his way into the room.

"Well. It seems you have quite a story to tell." A gay smile spread across his face as he strolled closer to Arianna.

"Tell me what you have seen."
The Beginning of the End

They met in that tiny garden once more. The noon sun shined brightly upon Orihen and Arianna, as they looked at one another from opposite ends of it. Arianna stood at the entrance to the garden, a paved stone path under her feet. Oddly enough, Orihen was sitting down, deep within the grassy courtyard, back turned to his pupil. The field itself was barren of trees this day, only tiny shrubs and flowers were scattered across a green grass bed.

Arianna's flaxen hair rested neatly upon her shoulders. Her elaborate red robes were held tightly to her body, keeping the woman snug when confronted with the usual chilly breezes that flew through the city. She had only been recently summoned here by Orihen, and was quite curious as to why he wanted to see her here. The pupil remained silent, waiting for her teacher to speak.

He grumbled as he stood up, turning about to face Arianna. His purple robes seemed to straighten themselves out, remaining quite loose as the cloth garments drooped about his body. For some strange reason, the Archmage was not his usual energetic self. The expression on his face displayed a serious look, for the man's brow was slightly furrowed and his lips were pulled into a frown.

“Time, Arianna. Time. It marches on through our lives and we can do naught to stop it, yes?” The woman perked a brow, curious as she listened to Orihen's words. “It pushes us closer to death. It causes corpses to decay. And it withers civilizations, causing even the sturdiest of structures to fall.” The man let forth an exasperated sigh. “Mountains are destroyed. Rivers run dry. War wages. All as time passes.”

“And yet it also pushes us forward. Children grow. Students learn. And people better themselves every moment they live.” He smiled. “During our time together, I have seen all three of these things. A child's knowledge grew before me. She learned of the perils an Archmage must overcome. And she bettered herself so that she might one day join the ranks of those whom truly became something great.”

A gentle breeze blew by, causing the man's robes to shift in the wind. Arianna stared at him with her piercing green eyes as he continued to speak.

“Yet despite how I've seen her progress, I know that there is but two more tests I must give her. Two test before she obtains the title of Archmage. I must test her knowledge of the arcane arts. For she must display mastery over three advanced spells. Seeing as all Archmages are masters of the arcane, she must be able to display aptitude in the most difficult of spells. After all, such ‘advanced spells' should be easy for a master, yes? And the other test…” The man smirked, chuckling for a brief moment. “…I will keep to myself.”

The man stepped closer to Arianna in a rather casual manner. It seemed his less-than serious ways were returning, as he seemed much more jovial than earlier. There was a sort of bounce to each of his steps, and the aspiring mage could not help but smile. “I assume you only wished to get that off your back?”

Orihen laughed. “Yes, yes, I did. Now then. I'm going to go relax with a drink. Tomorrow though, Arianna,
your real studies shall begin.”

“And I shall be prepared.”
Losing Touch

The two met once more in that secluded garden. Oddly enough, a great deal of forestry had returned to it, trees occupying its grounds once more. The canopy of leaves above them gave both student and apprentice sufficient shade from the sun's rays. It seemed that there was no sound other than their voices and the occasional rustle of branches rubbing against one another.

"Child. I believe you should know something," the older Elf said, staring at his pupil, a glazed look in his eye. "Magic can do anything. The sky...and your energy...is the limit. No. Not even. You can go beyond the sky with magic alone."

Arianna blinked her eyes in confusion. "...And promptly fall down to your death because you teleported beyond the sky?"

"...Not the point I was trying to make, but I suppose that is true. Regardless. Your every day mage thinks 'is this possible'. 'Can I do this', and 'this is impossible' are words that cross his or her minds on a daily basis. But the Archmage? The Archmage simply thinks 'How do I go about doing that'."

"So...what you're saying is 'anything is possible as long as you practice'?" Arianna asked, a grin slowly forming upon her face.

"Essentially."

"I could summon the corpse of the Lich King to this very spot if I wished?" The aforementioned grin widened into a smile.

Orihen laughed under his breath. "Well to do such a precise spell would take years of study. Possibly more years than you would have to live."

"But it's possible?"

"...Yes. But you're not doing it," the Archmage replied with a straight face.

The two stayed silent for a moment, before Orihen spoke once more. "Child. I want you to know a little trick of mine." Arianna raised an eyebrow, giving the man her full attention. "Many mages simply look at a spellbook, learn magic from it, and use whatever spells they acquire. That however, to me, is a bore. I am an emotional man, and I need emotion in anything I do. Thus, I instill emotion or meaning into my spells."

"...That's...rather odd."

"Yes. Yes it is odd. But it works for me. To be honest, it makes spellcasting a bit more...fun. When eruptions of flame bring rage and fury to your heart. And the simple blinking from one location to another makes you feel...whimsical."

"Whimsical. Lovely word."

"Yes, that's why I use it. Regardless Arianna, when you learn these spells, I want you to pour your heart into them. Don't just view them as letters on a page. See them as...something more. -Feel- something when you use magic. Too many people view magic as little more than a tool. It makes it so -boring-. Express yourself through your magic, my dear. And you'll find it that many times more interesting."

Arianna rolled her eyes in response. The idea of emotions mixing with magic seemed silly to her. If it were any but an Archmage telling her these words, she would have immediately dismissed them as foolish dreamers. But...here was Orihen. Telling her to feel something when she used magic.

"...I'll try, sir. I will try."

"Good. That's all I ask for. Regardless of whether or not you manage to pull it off, I only truly care if you can display those three spells for me properly. Now then. Away with you. I have things to take care of."

Arianna nodded to Orihen before standing up and walking away. As the distance between her and the Archmage grew greater, she thought of a certain group of individuals she spent a great deal of time with. A single thought crossed her mind.

'Well. I'm sure Orcs would know much about emotion.'
Complications

Magic. What is magic to me?

The young aspiring Archmage pondered this as she rested upon a comfy cushion in Silvermoon. The scenery about her was saturated with the colors gold and red, the only other color being the purple cloths that made up the doorway to her room. Other than the plethora of other cushions within the chamber, she was alone. Though she would never admit it to anyone, Arianna tended to enjoy being alone. It gave her time to think. Time to question things.

She had been told her entire life that combining emotion and magic is a surefire way to fail. Going by one's feelings alone was often a quick path to a rash and illogical decision. And while others could afford to make a mistake or two, a mage could not. Even the most minor mistake in spellcasting could result in a swift death for...well...anyone in the local vicinity.

Yet here she was. Attempting to instill emotion in her rather bleak career. In any other situation, she would simply abandon the idea. But seeing as an Archmage had ordered her to do such...she really had no choice. And while she supposed she could simply lie to him, Arianna had the vague feeling that he'd see through her deception. Thus, she figured that she should simply 'go with it', and try her best to please Orihen.

As she pondered, the ideas of emotions ran through her mind, as she attempted to associate each with magic. Many of these feelings she simply could not connect to her spellcasting. Though, a few did manage to stick out to her.

Love was the first thing she thought of. She loved magic. It had served her so well in so many situations. It had saved her life. It had saved the lives of her friends. And Arianna questioned whether or not there was anything magic could not do. The sheer versitality of magic was just...amazing. So amazing she could not help but love it.

Pride. Arianna was proud of her use of magic. Every time she used it, she was reminded of her success in her academics. Each spell casted was a testament to her aptitude in the art of spellcasting. She did her best not to let it get to her ego, but it occasionally did. But no matter what she did, the young Elf always felt some lingering sense of pride every time she casted a spell.

Fear. Truth be told, Arianna was terrified of magic. Any miscalculation could result in an untold number of deaths. Some poor and innocent man, thousands of miles away from her, could die simply due to an odd mishap. The thought of that terrified her, and kept her in check. She always made sure she memorized her spells properly. For she feared even the slightest mistake.

Arianna blinked her eyes in surprise. There were more emotions she could relate to magic with than she expected. While she felt that she could keep going on, finding more things to think about, she decided not to. She already had her answer ready for Orihen.

"It's too complicated to explain properly."
Unnecessary Expansion

Love.

Let love be the shield you use to protect those you cherish. As darkness engulfs the world, let a brilliant light shine from the shadows, powered by naught but your affection for others. And when creatures born of hatred and death approach your barrier, they will cower. For they had never seen such a display of love before.

Fear.

Let fear be that which keeps you in check. The fearless creature knows no limits, yet its limits know it. One without knowledge of terror can only charge headfirst into certain death. But she who feels the urge to cower is wise. This 'weakling' knows when to stand and fight, and when to flee. And when she finds himself in a situation she knows she will surely die in, she will not. For her fear will bring her miles away from any threat.

Pride.

Let pride be the driving force behind your actions. The whelp without pride is useless to her people, and to Azeroth as a whole. But the one with pride will stand strong. Her passion for what she believes in will burn so brilliantly that others will be inspired to follow her. She will stand side by side with the symbol of her people, for she knows its meaning so well. And when all hope is lost, and the forces of despair creep about those she stands by, the one who knows pride will push them back. For her pride will manifest, and drive away all foes of her kindred.

Archmage Orihen,

I have come to my decision concerning the spells I will display for you. These spells will be based upon arcane barriers, teleportation, and summoning. Hopefully, you will find them impressive enough to allow me to pass my test. Thank you.

Yours truly,
Arianna Dawnbreaker

Arianna,

This is good to hear. We shall meet one another as soon as possible. Let us say a week from now will suffice, unless strange complications arise. As always, we shall meet in the garden. I want you to come fully prepared. Dress practically, not elaborately. For your final trial shall take place immediately after this test. Do not disappoint me.

Sincerely,
Orihen Malfos

PS: If you mess up, it's all over. So please don't.
One More Time

A musky smell filled the air as Ari stepped into Orihen Malfos' quarters. The place was an absolute mess. Stacks of books were here and there. A robe hung off the backrest of a chair. The sheets to the (elaborate) bed at the corner of the room were undone. Yet Orihen himself sat at a single desk, absolutely clean of any sort of mess.

He watched his student with expectation. For in her hand was a short, three page test of roughly fifty questions. And as she approached his desk, a smile appeared on the man's face. Truth be told, Orihen hoped that Arianna did not fail. He had grown to like the young woman, believing her to be a decent student for a Sin'Dorei. Unlike his last student, she didn't go out and get drunk every night. She actually studied, which greatly pleased him.

Arianna, on the other hand, was incredibly nervous. Her hands had a slight shake to them as she laid that fateful test down upon her master's desk. And this nervous shaking only grew worse as he began to check over the test.
The first page went with no errors. Orihen simply looked over it and moved on. While it only really took about a minute, it felt like an hour for the aspiring Archmage. As he turned to the second page, it felt like her heart skipped a beat. His eyes quickly glazed over the paper, nodding his head in approval.

The third page caused Orihen to wince. He looked up to Arianna, a frown on his face. And it was that which made the girl's heart stop all together. Had she failed? Did she do something wrong? Was she to never become an Archmage now? Slowly, panic began to overtake her. Her breaths became short and quick as Orihen's lips slowly formed a grin.
"You pass, Archmage."

He reached his hand over the desk to shake hers, yet it took a good deal of time before he actually received that shake. Her panic was replaced by joy, yet she suppressed the feeling. When she did eventually grasp Orihen's hand, it was a polite and firm handshake. "Thank you, Orihen," she said, her voice quivering from the excitement she felt.
"I've tested your resolve. I've tested your ability to wield magic. And I've tested your knowledge. As far as I am concerned, you are worthy of your title. However... there comes the little problem of this."

He reached into a pants pocket, and pulled out a tiny envelope. It slid across the table as Orihen pushed it towards Arianna with a hand, a solemn look upon his face.

"Apparently, your people wish to speak with you concerning this. I personally suggest you simply ignore them and join the Kirin Tor. But knowing you, that won't happen." The man sighed.

Arianna shook her head in response. "My life is for Silvermoon, Orihen. I could never be neutral." She took the envelope into her hand, and opened it. Her eyes widened in shock as she pulled out the letter sealed within. And her surprise only increased more as she thoroughly inspected the contents of the little paper.

Arianna Dawnbreaker,

This letter is to be given to you the moment you finish your training. As you know only too well, our more powerful magi are given positions of great power within our fair city. And it is due to this, that most of our mages are trained politically, so as to know how to properly wield that power. Upon returning to Silvermoon, you will head to the Court of the Sun and seek out 'Ikashu Stargazer'. He will begin your political training, and hopefully when you are finished, you might obtain the position of 'Blood Mage' in our city, as we intend you to soon be.

Sincerely,
High Magister Thamian Darksun.

"... I... am to become a Blood Mage." She practically fainted from the thought all together, but was able to somehow manage to hold her composure. "... I'll see you later, Orihen?"

The older Archmage chuckled, nodding his head. "In due time, Arianna. In due time."
Politics

Ah, how good it felt to be in Silvermoon once more. The sunlight glistened off the tall, magnificent spiraling towers. Men and women wore their elaborate clothing, passing by one another on the roads. The guards kept watch over the citizens as they went by. Things were peaceful. And for Arianna, it made her hopeful.

Her people were the most oppressed race on Azeroth. Time after time again, they had been neglected, betrayed, and slain in cold blood. And these events scarred the Sin'Dorei race. Yet this sight before her brought a sense of hope to the Archmage. Hope that her people might regain their lost glory. It certainly seemed plausible at the moment. They were taking ground in the Ghostlands. They were largely left alone by their foes. And it gave the Elves an opportunity to focus on themselves until they were truly ready to stand on their own again.

She had been invited to the Sunfury Spire itself, which she personally considered an honor. The Spire towered over the rest of Silvermoon, possibly symbolic of how authority came before a great deal of other things within the city. It seemed to float off the ground, which was most likely powered by magic. The doorway into it was huge, larger than any creature whom would actually enter the structure. And leading up to this entrance was a red carped, trimmed with gold, five guards on either side of it.

Arianna gulped for a split second as she saw the guards. Each and every one of them was graceful, standing proudly in their magnificent red and gold armor. The sight intimidated Arianna even as she walked by them, trying her best to look like she had some dignity. Of course, this meant she tilted her nose up, and stepped by the men as quick as possible. She could have sworn she heard a quiet snicker as she entered the Spire.

The interior of the building was just as magnificent as its exterior. Lavish furniture was neatly placed across the room. Sweeping brushes kept aloft by magic alone cleaned the floors, as nobles and aristocrats went about their business. Sitting directly across the room from Arianna was a single woman, clad in obnoxiously ornamented red robes. Gold lines ran across her clothing, and large, perfect gemstones were embedded into it. Her jet black hair was shoulder length, and neatly tucked behind her ears. She wore an absurd amount of make-up, the areas about her eyes being almost blackened by overuse of eyeshadow. Her body was frail, and it looked like a stray wind could carry her away. It certainly didn't help that she was short too. Shorter than Arianna, who was already short for a Sin'Dorei.

"Arianna Dawnbreaker?" The Archmage nodded her head. "Good. " The woman's voice was tact, short, and to the point. It came off as a little snooty. "I've called you here to address to you your expectations as a Blood Mage of Silvermoon."

Arianna perked a brow. "... Yes, ma'am. And that is where I am curious. Is a Blo-."

Her words were cut short. "Blood Mage is a political title. You don't need to have training in blood magic to be one initially, but you will eventually. Speaking of which, you will receive training similar to an actual Blood Mage in due time, so you might wield one of their sacred spheres. But until then, you will carry the political status of one." The woman caught her breath. She had spoken all of that in one go. "Thus, you will spend the next week receiving basic political training, and will learn how to properly carry yourself."

Arianna suppressed a groan. While internally she was ready to moan about how she didn't ask for any political power, externally she was all smiles. Her voice remained as curt and polite as ever. "Very well. When sh-."

Once again, she was cut off. "Immediately." The woman turned to walk away, motioning for Arianna to follow her. As the Archmage caught up with her, she spoke.

"Let's just get the most important rule out of the way now, Miss Dawnbreaker. Your people always come first. No exceptions."
Flight

It was dark in the Archmage's home. Dark, for she simply refused to have many sources of light within. There was a constant magical glow throughout the halls, making it seem as though the moonlight even reached inside of the building. It was peaceful, or at least that's what Arianna viewed it to be, as most of the hustle and bustle of Silvermoon could not be heard through the manor's walls. They were either blocked out entirely or muffled noises.

Arianna's feet dragged on the floors of her home as she walked to her bedroom. The woman was exhausted from a long day's work, which mostly consisted of making sure others did their jobs. Despite wearing naught other than a nightgown, she did not feel cold at all. Actually, come to think of it, her home never did feel cold anymore. It was always inviting at a very gentle, comfortable temperature. Perhaps it was some enchantment placed upon her manor by some mage as a reward. But she knew the more likely reason.

And that reason was the phoenix whom now resided in her home. Khirsah, a most proud warrior of its kin (it, because it is absolutely genderless.). He had been summoned by Arianna in the midst of battle. And it seemed that the phoenix seeks out combat similar to the conflict it was born into. Always was Khirsah away, looking for some new foe to challenge itself against. Whether it be a dragon or some other sort of creature. He was almost always away, never resting in his nest. It remained relatively unused, much to Arianna's chagrin, if only because the damn thing was so expensive to make.

Truth be told, she loved that fiery bird. She constantly avoided describing Khirsah as a pet, but to be honest, sometimes it seemed like a sort of companion she never had before. The relationship was a challenge to define. It was not a master and her servant, for Khirsah was too free. It was not that of one and a pet, for Khirsah... well... he was relatively untamed. There was really no way to properly describe it. And it was as Arianna began climbing that spiral ramp that led to her ridiculously sized bed that she figured out something.

She figured out she really needed to speak with that damn phoenix one of these days.

As Arianna slipped under the sheets of her king-sized bed, she sighed. It was always so damn lonely. All of her friends and close ones were out living their lives, doing something great. And she, despite all her power, was lofting in Silvermoon, secretly yearning to return to a life of battle like she did when she were a member of the Bloodsworn. Perhaps Khirsah was right. Perhaps she should 'leave her cage' and set out to find something to engage in on her own.

And it was as she shut her eyes, she thought to herself.

... Maybe that wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upon the Wings of a Drake Zenethen 0 589 02-08-2012, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Zenethen
  Wings of Words Saiyuu 12 2,257 01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Saiyuu