The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Something about looks... and armor!
This is my first request/suggestion!
So please bear with me :)
Okay, so i have been a bit annoyed for quiet some time..
Since as a Mage, i cant find nice fitting pants/trousers on the racial styles!
So i looked over at Leather, plenty of fitting choices :(
Since then i have been wondering if there could be a vendor added that looses a bit up the laws of skill-bound items!
Or give the oppertunity for some other classes to broad up their armor profiencies for a reasonable price.
[Image: kuzco_llama_by_mroobalooba-d3jkg9p.png]

Oh my god... you didn't...
I could see how this would be great, but it would create other problems with the whole OOC side of things and people grinding.

If we loosened the armor restrictions so mages can use leather then they can wear leather armor which kind of makes them stronger then they are now and thus, quite overpowered. To make the .lo rp items a different proficiency would take quite some time and I'm not sure anyone has the time to got through all the items and chance their stats.
Or remove armor profiecies from the items when creating a RP item?
That might work to.
And its not time consuming either.. is it?

Proficiencies on RP items are there to prevent mages and other clothies running about in suits of armor; Unfortunately there are a good few leather pieces with that metallic look, as well, and at any rate what then would prevent a rogue from asking for mail?

As far as I know the armor classes were very much intentionally left on the .add rp items.
I see.. was worth a try though ^^

I honestly have a hard time seeing -why- a mage is restricted from running around in full plate. From a realistic lore standpoint. Most would still run around in frilly dresses (<__< *cough*) for mechanical bonuses. One that is often brought up is that you cannot cast as proficiently if you're in heavy armor. Mostly due to: can't make the motions as effectively and something about lots of metal being detrimental to channeling magic. I have no clue how it works in WoW terms, but those are the two reasons I always hear on why spell casters tend to wear light robes.

But for a majority of those in the WoW universe, if they have the coin to get a set of armor then what's stopping them from putting it on? You don't have to be 'proficient' to don a tin can! Hell, I'm a shining example of this at my local SCA practice. I don a set of armor I've never worn before that is not fit for me and run around just fine. I'm also a complete twig, if you ever saw me.

Armor, in general, is relatively light enough for most everyone to wear a set.

Now for balance and sanity reasons, I see why the limits are imposed. It makes sense. Although why does anyone complain about it making mages or whatever overpowered? Are you saying this discussing IC reasons or for when they're running through a random heroic?

Note: 'mages' being a generic spell caster noun here. ^_^
All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.
The reason that mages can't wear plate, or shouldn't rather, is because it imposes heavy casting penalties on spells with somatic components, now that being said that only applies to the hands and arms. So why a mage could not or would not wear plate boots and greaves in battle I just don't know.

aroes Wrote:The reason that mages can't wear plate, or shouldn't rather, is because it imposes heavy casting penalties on spells with somatic components, now that being said that only applies to the hands and arms. So why a mage could not or would not wear plate boots and greaves in battle I just don't know.

This gets into the "How realistic is our RP going to be" territory. There are a very few set of reasons on why a person could not physically put on armor. But barring that, everything is a choice. And there is great freedom in that. And it's realistic. I can see a few situations where mages would don armor most of the time.

*A mage who specialized in runic magic and is often employed to secure the houses and castles of the wealthy. Often runs to and from jobs in a light mail getup and his casting clothes stored away in his bags. For protection, and is half decent with a blade.

No particular reason, lore wise, to say no to allowing anyone to wear whatever armor they want. But OOCly there are a few strong reasons to say no. The one which I see as most swaying is that it simplifies things for the players and GMs quite a lot. While the GMs could spawn another trainer who would give anyone proficiency in a certain armor type, there's the issue of a player screwing something up and drama ensues.

I personally feel that if you can write up a strong profile with the history, lore, and reasons to have a plate wearing mage and have -nothing- wrong with it and that the GMs believe you can play the character well, then go for it.
All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.
A mage needs to be very flexible at all times. To cast a spell takes a certain posture, and motions of their hands and body. To wear plate armor would be to completely change one's ability to properly cast a spell. Hence why leaning how to wear plate as a mage is so hard. You would essentially need to relearn all of your spells.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
To me, it'd make perfect sense to remove armor restrictions all together. I know it will not happen, but I have good reasons. Firstly, this is an RP server, with an RP focus. I don't come on here often and see people going LF 9 MORE FOR AQ40 or the likes. Nor do I see massive global PvP, raiding cities, etc... Now sure, some classes will level 1-50 easier than others, or win a duel (but honestly players can just agree to use their class armor-set for duels), but that does not really effect anything in the long run. This server's designed for RP primarily. That covers the OOC perspective. From an IC perspective, armor is not all that heavy. Even plate-armor. It's not restricting, as you can do cartwheels in a knight's set of armor, and swim in it with (without interior padding), but it reduces agility, which is why I assume almost all mages in Azeroth would refuse to wear a suit of armor. So, really, the way it stands is that it is up the the players to decide why our characters wear the armor type they're restricted to.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
Wait...what is this crazed stuff? Armor...not heavy? Why do you think knights don their armor from the BOTTOM up? Otherwise, the weight would make them fall over! A full set of armor weighs about 80 pounds, my friend. Try swimming in 80 pounds of steel and tell me how that works out, also.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
That would be ceremonial armour that is eighty pounds. The average PRACTICAL armour that knights wore in combat and not to a royal court, ceremony, etc. would be on average around forty pounds; Which is less than what most soldiers today carry in the united states military. The average soldier in the US armed forces carries around fifty pounds of equipment, ninety if they have their full pack. That's not including the gallons of water that one has to carry with them whilst traversing a desert in the middle east.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
Okay, I stand corrected. Regardless, ICly it's impractical for a mage to wear such gear. Mages are typically weak physically, and couldn't carry that much for an extended period in battle. Personally, the armor restrictions were put in place for a reason; let's keep it that way.
Spoiler:
Besides, there are technics that allow swimming in heavy armor. Just to point out. You wouldn't fall down like a stone in water. If you were properly trained.

Mages, however, are pretty much weakened and not really focusing on melee; but some can well be strong and therefore the only reason they can't wear plate armor is because it hinders their casting.
I still believe that people wear their armor for a reason. Take, for instance, rogues. One would -never- find a rogue in chain mail or plate mail. If one did, they would be caught stealing a -lot- easier, as they'd be clanking around, making a lot of noise. For mages: there's a difference between being adept at swordplay and being able to wear a suit of plate mail armor. One may be able to swing a sword with great accuracy, yet may not have the physical strength to lug around plate mail. Not to mention that yeah, the mail would interrupt their casting. Also, as an opposite of this, why would a warrior or paladin ever wear cloth armor? They're physically strong, front-line warriors. They need the protection plate mail gives, so cloth would be a great disadvantage to them.
Spoiler:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Death Knight NPC armor? Maarten 4 2,012 12-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Ural
  Reinforced Cloth Armor Petition Lendri 59 8,213 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Wuvvums
  Request for armor being added! Erynn 9 1,982 10-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Erynn
  Armor request~ raerae 3 1,023 05-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Last Post: raerae