The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

So...Draenei Shadow Priests.
Some of you who were hanging out at GM island last night may remember the conversation we had about my plans to make my first character a Draenei Shadow Priest. There were quite a few people involved, and there was much lore-nerdiness to be had.

Pretty much, Nexi was there, said it was OK to have a Draenei Shadow Priest, but that I'd need a good reason to break the ironclad cultural stereotype of that race. A Night Elf Shadow Priest (I'm sorry, if you're reading this, I forgot your name. :( ) held that it should work, but again, why would a Draenei want to go Shadow? And Telah, who I argued with extensively about the whole lore thing and the skies wept blood upon witnessing the battle and all that, and it was kind of fun actually. We should hang out, Telah. 8)

It all basically comes down to "But the Draenei are all lawful good, because they all are." My view on it is that the Draenei have been on Azeroth for years, and it isn't all that surprising if some break the mold, or explore different cultural values and viewpoints now that they are becoming less cloistered.

In the words of Wrex, "...You humans have a wide range of cultures and attitudes; But Krogan all think and act exactly alike."

With that said, what do you guys think is a good reason for using Shadow? I hadn't really thought any reason besides uncharacteristic pragmatism was needed, but I'd like to have a solid story.
i am geko
i live heer
and my favorite food is crikkits
You've been chased by the Burning Legion, and never, even when you manage to find a bit of peace, do you manage to fully escape them. The so called powers of the Light never helped in anything. And after 25'000 years the struggle still has not ended.

Light is becoming every passing year a more and more abstract subject. Of course, OF COURSE they let you escape Argus safely. But nothing stays still forever, so why would the light still be effective? It has not stopped the Scourge, and will not halt your escape anytime soon.

Light used to be a virtuous concept, but nowadays, things are different and a few of your people are beginning to despair - turning into sides and delving in facets they would have never dared to, or even thought about consider/ing.

When Light fails, perhaps the Shadows can bring some order.

Something like that. ._.
To what extent do you want Anita to use shadow and what magnitude of knowledge do you want her to have?
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Lynoa06 Wrote:You've been chased by the Burning Legion, and never, even when you manage to find a bit of peace, do you manage to fully escape them. The so called powers of the Light never helped in anything. And after 25'000 years the struggle still has not ended.

Light is becoming every passing year a more and more abstract subject. Of course, OF COURSE they let you escape Argus safely. But nothing stays still forever, so why would the light still be effective? It has not stopped the Scourge, and will not halt your escape anytime soon.

Light used to be a virtuous concept, but nowadays, things are different and a few of your people are beginning to despair - turning into sides and delving in facets they would have never dared to, or even thought about consider/ing.

When Light fails, perhaps the Shadows can bring some order.

Something like that. ._.

This is the disillusionment I was referring to in my "Oh hi" thread. You summed it up quite nicely. :)

Bovel Wrote:To what extent do you want Anita to use shadow and what magnitude of knowledge do you want her to have?

Almost exclusively. I do not hold do the "You can't use both" school of thought, but her healing abilities will no doubt atrophy. When I start her down this path, learning strength with this new (to her), experimental form of magic will become her obsession for a time; the whole reason she is no longer adhering to the light-only philosophy is because it has not granted the Draenei enough power to do anything other than survive, barely.
i am geko
i live heer
There are Draenic shadow priests in lore. The death priests of Auchenai. However, they're opposed to the Draenei faction that landed on Azeroth and all Horde and Alliance. And, welll...I don't think what Lynoa said made much sense, but I won't argue here.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Look at it, not from the outside in, but as though you experianced the culture and life. Draenei are patient and peaceful to an extent, but seem to openly hate betrayers. If one can argue a good... solid point for your immortal race to hate that what saved them and provides for them, and to no longer be patient with the light... then feel free to be a Shadow Priest. I encourage other Draenei to look down upon, scorn, or even mistreat your character though. They do not take well to non-light sworn, or those unable to feel the light. For proof, look at how the Draenei treated the Broken who, without intent, became severed from the Light. Look at how the Draenei view the Eredar (Eredar now means "filth" in their tongue). Look at how the Draenei view Shamanism as a distraction to the light.

If you take all of these into concideration, realize being a Draenei Shadow Priest will not only be a hard character to play convincingly (even if it is accepted), but not well taken amongst their people. People they've spent tens of thousands of years with. Who know them, and are willing to just turn away from them like that.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
Being almost exclusively a Shadow wielder would either mean she was first thaught it as a magi, or at least very early on. Or that she is a very faithful "darkness-worshipper".

Being a magi wielding shadow is the easy way out. Eredar are/were among the grandest mages of this fictive universe, there is chance that one of those skilled in shadow came along on the Oshu'gun and taught Anita in secret. This would not at all have the same impact on her "inner Light". (Though I am not saying there is no impact.)

If she were to become a shadowpriestess... well I can only agree to Lynoa's idea here. But that still boggles me a bit and sounds unrealistic. As for being part of the Auchenai priesthood, not really an option at all in my oppinion cause there is more to them than being "bad". And they cannot really be considered full out shadow priests either.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.

Well according to K'ure...
"Without the Void, the Light cannot exist"
So it might be accepted just...a tad??
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Aphetoros Wrote:Well according to K'ure...
"Without the Void, the Light cannot exist"
So it might be accepted just...a tad??
I believe it is D'ore which says this and in realtion to Naaru's death cycle.

I had a Draenei Death Knight who had voluntarily given herself to the undead curse. Her reason for the whole thing was pretty much that she had server the light her entire life and what did it give her? Nothing. the only thing it did was kill her whole family in the name of duty. So she sought a higher power in which she could achieve more and maybe protect the only family she had left, her daughter. Unfortunately, she failed and they both died recently, but I'd assume that a similar thing could lead a Draenei to the shadow.

True, almost all draenei are completely mindset on the light, but there will always be exceptions to the rule, so I can't see why you can't play one if you do have a good reason. My two cents.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
I really can't agree with the culturally-based arguments. No culture produces 100%-faithful followers with free will. Not only that, shadow magic is not evil. It is dark, it is scary, it is dangerous and carries a negative stigma and has negative effects. These values, as well as the similarities it shares in appearance and the way it affects the target make it favored by cultists and demons. This does not make it an evil magic any more than the existence of arsonists makes fire evil.

Additionally, she would not have to change religion. She might adopt a more pragmatic mindset, fundamentalists would no doubt consider her a heretic, but it doesn't mean that she has to forsake the Naaru or viewing the Light itself as something to be revered. It simply means she views shadow magic as a more effective means to the same end: fighting for the ends of the Light and against the Legion.

Also, even if it did mean a complete change in worldview, be it to atheism or even demon-worship--so what? Yes, one of these would be considered tragic and the other (justifiably) reason for being killed like an animal, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. There are dissidents from every religion. Simply "Well they are really really old and stuff" or "They were saved by the Naaru" doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats
i am geko
i live heer
Well, I suppose you have your reasoning then. =o
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
This Draenei Shadow Priest post I made is actually from that game I'm about to soon release, but since it's subplot (one of, at least) is based on a peace loving holy people fleeing from demons, I thought it fit.

Might use it as my own canvas for a Draenei Shadow Priest.
hiddengecko Wrote:I really can't agree with the culturally-based arguments. No culture produces 100%-faithful followers with free will. Not only that, shadow magic is not evil. It is dark, it is scary, it is dangerous and carries a negative stigma and has negative effects. These values, as well as the similarities it shares in appearance and the way it affects the target make it favored by cultists and demons. This does not make it an evil magic any more than the existence of arsonists makes fire evil.

Additionally, she would not have to change religion. She might adopt a more pragmatic mindset, fundamentalists would no doubt consider her a heretic, but it doesn't mean that she has to forsake the Naaru or viewing the Light itself as something to be revered. It simply means she views shadow magic as a more effective means to the same end: fighting for the ends of the Light and against the Legion.

Also, even if it did mean a complete change in worldview, be it to atheism or even demon-worship--so what? Yes, one of these would be considered tragic and the other (justifiably) reason for being killed like an animal, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. There are dissidents from every religion. Simply "Well they are really really old and stuff" or "They were saved by the Naaru" doesn't mean that it can't or won't happen.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PlanetOfHats

Ah, but it produces evil by way of making one lose all emotion.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
True. The one thing you've failed to account for is how using shadow magic robs the user of her emotions. After prolonged use, your character will fail to recognize right from wrong and only see effective means for an end, effectively making the character "evil."
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legal/Public Status of Shadow Users c0rzilla 28 7,222 01-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Xigo
  [Questions] Priests yo. Psychyn 5 1,658 08-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Psychyn
  Shadow Envoy and me. Osvaldas 0 720 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Osvaldas
  Need help roleplaying a shadow priest Daggermouth 6 3,593 10-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Shadow Hunters Kage 54 8,213 05-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Last Post: Beltharean