The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

The Notebook
[These entries are contained within a weathered notebook which sits upon a nightstand in a humble Ratchet abode. The writings are exclusively in Zandali and its ownership is signified on the inside flap by the name, "Xerni'a."]

There are few things that can truly explain the sensations which have rushed through me as of late in my times of prayer and meditation. My need to seek out the will of the Spirits is so strong I can taste it in my oft shed tears.

Purpose. As a woman in this tribe, I have lacked purpose. Decisions are made for me and my skin crawls to think of it.

My parents have sought out a mate that meets their expectations and desire me to leave this safe home soon to be his second wife. The idea is revolting to me. Their urgency that I become a contributing member and not drag my feet with child-producing is an insurmountable grief to me. It would appear the single life, or dare I say, the life with chosen love is not what they intend. I have had suitors, yes, but none who actually fought one another for my attention as tradition would dictate. I suppose my tongue gets me in trouble. They are never interested for long because of my views that perhaps the world is a bit larger than we give credit.

Who thought that a mind longing to think outside of the box would be held in such disdain?
And why did I ever expect this would work out?

That awful suitor, Fragir'oa, has taken his leave. Spat on the ground at the sight of me and told my parents I was an unacceptable match! It is just as well. I would have never shared a tent with the likes of that blue-haired monster and his First Wife. I have no desire for a brood of hulking idiots born from a union with such a barbaric troll. His reasoning was an insult - He hates the look of my tusks.

He isn't the only one. I have been filing these down for years and can effectively tuck my lower lip over them in public now. Just as well. The other nations in this Horde are often gripped by disgust and fear upon the sight of us.
The dust is finally settling at home. We're a forgiving family and will remain so. One good tongue-lashing followed by a few braids pulled out of whack and matters are usually settled. I write this with a smile.

But in all honesty, I am pleased to still be living the single life. We will make strides as a Tribe. The Orcs and Tauren are examples to us of the kind of leaps needed for our society to get a grip on what the world has become. It is probably a relief to them that our elders have been willing to take baby steps toward not shrinking heads for just any old reason. Too bad. That would have been the best use for Fragir'oa's, but I digress. Movement is slow going for those with old minds and traditions.

My brothers and sisters are insisting right now that I join in a jungle game they are playing at the moment, but...I just cannot. Enough rumors swirl among the males. I don't need anymore. I need to be taken serious. Truth be told, though, every so often I jump in for old time's sake. We all need a break, no?

Just the other day I overheard the Witch Doctor, Kaphus, telling the Healer, Beninoru, that I am a foolish woman.

"Why is she pursuing the Shaman path instead of birthing men for the Tribe?" Kaphus said.

"She must be seeing too many of the other Horde members and their freedom. Better for her to pick up arms and fight or just get into a tent and be a good wife. Leave the spirituality to those who are equipped." Beninoru smirked.

Am I silly to think that maybe the Spirits are giving me direction lately that I might be made for something more than what I have here? Something in my bones tells me the Loa will speak. The dreams of greatness and spoil...of purpose and triumph...

So sweet to the tongue.
I am not certain I will ever recover from what occurred tonight. After a period of meditation and sacred herbs, I received my first true vision. It was like nothing I have ever experienced.

He came to me in lynx form, his body sleek and defined by muscles beneath the fur. The eyes were bright and aware, so troll-like in the way in which they stared at me and seemed to understand me. The lips curled back over intimidating canines, though he did not utter even one growl. Instead a clear voice spoke:

"You are to follow the man with fire upon his head all the days of your life."

With that, he turned away from me, his tail giving a flick that almost seemed to salute in parting.

And in an instant I was back upon the jungle floor, my tea cup tipped over and my walking stick tumbled at my side.

Fire upon his head? What sort of man could this be?

These questions will not be apparent now as my heart is still pumping in my throat, but in time, I pray, all will be made clear.
Blonde hair. It was just a flash, really. For one brief moment, I felt my insides flip upside before I nearly was overtaken in the waves along with him.

It was supposed to be a joyful swim, but as I pressed deeper into the water I noticed a large rock with a pair of booted feet sticking out from under it. In my urgency to check on the unfortunate person, I darted toward the other side where I assumed the torso would be. Sin'dorei. He had been...so beautiful, really. But now? Lifeless eyes, a silent scream, and that blonde hair swaying ethereally around his face.

My lungs burned and my throat constricted as I lost air rapidly with my cries. I did not want to be blamed for such a death in our waters. I...left him there.

Forgive me. Please. I swear I had nothing to do with this murder.
The dreams and visions have become stronger and stronger. It is impossible to avoid my fate any longer.

I must travel to the Vale and find this man with fire upon his head. Surely there must be a way to sort out what the Loa meant by this statement. I doubt he will literally be engulfed in flames, but perhaps his headdress will be distinctive?

When I initially told my family, my brothers took it rather hard. I suppose they've grown used to seeing my gaze upon them during their silly games. To tell you the truth, I will miss their exuberance the most. Those crazy trollkind could come up with a challenge for just about anything and turn it into a tournament of epic proportions. If you can believe it, they once got into a contest to see who could erect a fire on top of a spring's surface. They both ended up soaked, ruined their sticks and proceeded to try to drown one another. Boy, did I ever howl.

My sisters took it in a stride, but in true annoying fashion reminded me to find a husband to make up for the one I spoiled. Thanks, ladies.

Mother and Father took the afternoon to sit out in the Vision Tent and share mushroom tea. After a season of meditation and reflection, they emerged with their official blessing and agreement that this was, in fact, what I was to do. That was a relief.

My notebook is the last thing that must be packed in my satchel for the journey. You've done me well on my adventures so far. You're coming with me again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From Light to Shadow: A Notebook of Insanity Kenshiro 5 1,092 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Kenshiro