The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Dark Elves?
Recently, I was making a Blood Elf death knight. Only to notice that one of their skin colors was completley black, I had an idea of sorts at that time. To make a "Dark Elf" with this skin color. According to WoW lore, there are Dark Elves in Azeroth.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Dark_elf

Not sure if its a good idea, But it has never been done before, Right?
May the riot be the Rhyme of the Unheard.

Actually the dark elf thing seems to have been retconned, or made into night elves. They are not to be confused with Drow from other fantasy settings, if that is what you are trying to go for.
Personally I think it's awesome. I rolled Jidaeo originally with the dark DK skin. I enjoyed it.

I've always like Dark elves, or drow and are kind of upset how they are in wow. As far as playable races are concerned. Night elves resemble them but I'm not too keen in their lore and I lose interest in them quickly. Blood Elves look like high elves which I've never liked but I am fascinated by their ruthless resolve and pride of their people.

Bottom line is. I'm sure this will be spammed with people and GM's saying. You can't do it because you can only play the races available on retail. But I could be wrong /shrug.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
Well, It seems so, but that is just a speculation. Not confirmed by blizzard. "Most evidence points to the mysterious dark elves as being an early developmental form of the night elves." Night Elf ancestors?

Wuvvums Wrote:Actually the dark elf thing seems to have been retconned, or made into night elves. They are not to be confused with Drow from other fantasy settings, if that is what you are trying to go for.

Beat me to it, Wuvvums! ^
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
There are a few problems with playing a Dark Elf.

One would be the fact that they are most likely just Kaldorei.

Two, they are a different race where we have near enough to zero knowledge on.

Three, there is absolutely no evidence that they actually exist.

While this is a good idea, I don't think we'll be playing a race which doesn't actually exist and we have no knowledge on.
However nothing stops you from playing a dark-skinned DK.
If they did ever exist in WoW, however, they most likely would be not playable. Due generally to the fact that, if they -did- exist, which we can't prove, it would be likely that they evolved into Kaldorei. Meaning if there are any still alive, the population would be so miniscule that I doubt we could justify allowing a small number of people to play them, and not the general populace. AKA, there would need to be a number cap.
Spoiler:
muhaha8 Wrote:If they did ever exist in WoW, however, they most likely would be not playable. Due generally to the fact that, if they -did- exist, which we can't prove, it would be likely that they evolved into Kaldorei. Meaning if there are any still alive, the population would be so miniscule that I doubt we could justify allowing a small number of people to play them, and not the general populace. AKA, there would need to be a number cap.

Sounds very reasonable, Actually.

The cap would be rediculously small, however. But we can't get anywhere near allowing them unless we can definitively prove their existance. Which at this point, we can't.
Spoiler:
I don't think there's a provided model for them in any of the MPQs. I'd hazard a guess that if they exist, they look most similar to Nelves. Which raises the question - how have they fared through all of the recent events in Hyjal, etc.? I'm presuming that'd be one of the more likely locations, seeing how we've explored the rest of the world very thoroughly. Or if they're elsewhere, how have they avoided discovery?
Beware. Dark Elves were retconned. Nowadays, in lore it wouldn't be more than a theory explaining the apparition of the Kaldorei. But there really never were drows in WoW lore.

In CotH, the few people speaking about "Drows" or "Dark Elves" refer to Maureen's crazed Sin'dorei and DK supremacist cult. Mostly Light of Nova people. The eagermost drow speaker, Jidaeo, is frozen in ice though. It should prevent some confusion. ^^
Even then I find it rather questionable to take up self-proclaimed titles for races, even if it's an IC claim and not an OOC claim. Under this assumption, we could have gnomes claiming themselves as halflings and using the defense that it's just an IC claim that your character believes and not an OOC one. I think the same would apply to using terms like tiefling as a substitute for demons and such.

Drow to me is more of an OOC concept we're applying to characters under the guise of an IC claim.
I do have to wonder where people would get the term Drow ICly. Not like there's a modern fantasy novel lying about. o 3o
I've never heard of this. Odd. It doesn't seem like a WoW-specific concept; some night elves have been living for ~10,000 years, so evolution is obviously slow (I'm just going to assume evolution is relatively similar in the WoW universe, disregarding gnomes and dwarves). Early history anecdotes state that Night elves were essentially just earlier forms of themselves, which may have branched off to trolls. I've never read about "Dark elves", personally, and I've certainly not heard the term looking through Kaldorei lore.

Assuming they even do exist, they would really have to be wiped out, as their evolution would need to have taken place a long time ago. As in, before the Well of Eternity. A very long time before, in fact.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blood elves and age. requiem225 13 2,783 05-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Herastean
  The Dark Chant Ormica 20 3,077 08-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Ormica
  How to play Blood Elves Fortwit 47 6,947 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Dae
  'Gansta Elves'? Xigo 72 13,981 10-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Elves, those skinny fellows living up there in North! Liamsi 17 3,452 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Liamsi