The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

'Gansta Elves'?
Forgive me, this is a brief rant. If that's not your sort of thing... just... uh... skedaddle from the thread.

What's up with all these Elves dropping the f bomb like it's no tomorrow lately? I just see it everywhere. Elves with no formality whatsoever, hailing from a society where formality would be expected. There's no class, no sophistication. It just seems like people are roleplaying Elves who would be better fit as another race. Namely - Human.

Is it because they're the race with the (arguably) prettiest model? Is this why there are so many Elves? You wanted to roleplay an Orc, but didn't like the model/appearance, so you made it an Elf? You probably shouldn't do this. I mean, you'd make our Orc overlord happy, and have a character that better fits his/her race.

I don't know. I just feel like curse words like 'shit' and the f bomb should sound like nails on a chalkboard to an Elf. To me it just seems like their version of insulting someone would be more subtle. A veiled jab during a conversation. A declining of a request. Walking away from a conversation. An outright insult would be absolutely repulsive, and detrimental to one's social status most likely.

Now I know there are exceptions to everything, but it's just... the exception is the norm. It's at a point where I'm honestly surprised when I see Elves with any sort of formality because I'm so used to seeing these... wannabe-Humans.

Speaking of which, why do so many people play characters that just completely ignore the race they come from? I'd put out examples, but that would be targeting players in a way because all the examples I can think of are actually roleplayed. Some of these exceptions (I'll use Antia for example, seeing as all the drama that happened so long ago. Off the top of my head I'll also throw in Jami and Hrode.) are different from their race while -still being members of their race-. Exceptions I can nod my head at and go 'okay, he/she may be X, but he/she still acts like a Draenei/Human/Elf/Dwarf/ETC and acknowledges the difficulties of what he/she is'.

So ultimately the question, my fellow CoTH players, is why do we make these 'exception' characters that go completely against their race while not acknowledging the difficulty of this deviance?

And why so many informal Elves? (... The original question.)

... Keep in mind, you could insert 'IMO' at the end of every sentence in this post because, really, this all is just 'in my opinion'.

EDIT: If people end up changing because of this post, super. But I doubt that will happen because we're all just so damn stubborn. If I could get explanations though, that'd be great.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
I cannot help but to agree with out on this. Ever since I had more time for Wow RP and came back to leading the Draenic Pilgrimage this summer I have been appauled at how draenei are being portrayed. The Exiled Ones is a proud and devout race who face exstinction and have so far shown great fortitude and determination towards the survival of the race, taken to the extreme when a majority of their race was sacrificed to save the few.

So then where is the dignity of a draenei who's mind seems consumed with the idea of getting another draenei of the same gender naked into their bed? I mean if the sex is the idea, you do it with a male cause -EVERY- child is needed.

And why is it that draenei of all ages, from a few centuries to those who have seen Argus, gather around a hookah to recreationally smoke a drug that a shaman uses in his vocation? The shaman that even share these herbs for the purpose of "fun" should rethink the worth and weight of her class.

But what most likely irks me the most is why (OH WHY?!) so many draenei here on CotH that totally disregards the Light and the priesthood? How would one explain how atheism is the norm among the draenei who owe their survival to a something more than faith? A draebei paladin -MUST- be of the Light and that is something you are 24/7, not when someone else seems to be.

The last and most repetetive rant I got on the subject is draenei and the feltainted. Give me one good reason why the everday draenei should make friends with orcs? THEY KILLED YOUR FAMILY! And they are a weak and feeble race to be so utterly dominated by the demons. What would be the reason for draenei to fraternise with blood elves? THEY TRIED TO KILL THE SURVIVING SLIVERS OF YOUR FAMILY! And are pathetic beings who have grown addicted to fel, essence of the force which your entire race flees from.

(This rant is not aimed in anyone persoanally cause I can name several players who frequently cross these lines.)
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
I'm seriously agreeing with everything in the first post.

This is the main reason I've been only RPing my Blood Elves in Silvermoon city rather than anywhere else, but its pretty much still visible the lack of 'respect' or 'manners' in most of the Blood Elves characters. I'd also like to point out the fact that most blood elves hates Silvermoon(?), Or at last I've seen a few characters like that.(Hurr, and sorry if this wasn't exactly directed at Blood elf, I felt like ranting about my favorite race.. :L)

I'd just love to rant about something else, which is about the elves who act as kids, I won't throw out names but it seriously makes little to no sense. Sorry if anyone found this post offensive or so, wasn't my intetion obviously.
[Image: tumblr_mhvoxjHaqC1rzearvo2_500.gif]
Casually humorous
I agree. When I roleplay this happens often, but I've never had the guts to tell someone that to their face. I don't agree with it, but I try to stay neutral, y'know?
Yes. And the cosmetic appearance of the racial model of Sin'Dorei is probably the cause of it! To be honest, frank, and lightly offensive, a large section of our playerbase is teenagers, which don't really see that this is not supposed to be a Hack'n'Slash, or Anime, or whichever interest may be perking their minds and influencing their roleplaying quality here. Of course, of course, interests vary. Some come here for OOC fun, some come for roleplaying, some come for writing OOC posts and reading the same; But still...

Thing should make sense, if nothing more. People should at least attempt to reconsider their ideas before they rush to the character creation screen. Now, I for one really am in no strong position to talk about immaturity, as I'm not of venerability, but my concerns are there, and I'm free to express them in a way I deem acceptable by the community.

"Just try and think before you act."
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
The best way, in my opinion, of "improving" the quality of the roleplay in terms of improving knowledge of racial mentality is to subject people to it.

Those with more experience should try to reach out to those without it. Even if it doesn't pass on any knowledge most of the time, perhaps it can offer some inspiration. Rather than telling someone how they shouldn't be playing their character, it's better to give them inspiration of how it could be played by you vividly and well representing your character and their race in your own roleplay.

Learning through exposure. It's not so easy as to tell someone what it is they do wrong, sometimes. (And even then, it's not so much about it being 'wrong'. Most of the examples people take up with deviations from racial stereotypes are still viable, whereas many aren't, likewise.)

Those who have more knowledge/experience/whathaveyou would do well to find themselves in the company of the other groups as well. It could grant you rather interesting experiences, and it will probably give the other players experiences they'll not soon forget as well.

And, most of all...

Are you a Blood Elf seeing another fellow Blood Elf acting disgracefully?

Tell him that to his face, ICly. Suddenly, you have an interesting RP situation.

EDIT: As an addition... I believe there are more "right" ways of representing a race than "wrong" ways.
I think I could hit the 'like' button on pretty much all of these posts so far. But I think the first one is enough.

This is probably one of the reasons I don't play many elves much at all, actually; It comes to a point where eventually a character played within the norm feels out of place amongst others from his/her race, or at the very least would ICly find the differing viewpoint as something revolting. I know this will likely come into affect if I ever RP with a Night Elf on Hythal, and... that ain't something I'm looking forward to.

I'll close on this; I remember once checking the profile for an elf who really was just written up to be from the 'hood. In Silvermoon. While I'm glad we're not getting that stuff still I don't think the spirit of it has overly changed. :/
I gave up on posts like these when I realized how defensive people got over it. But, anyway.
It kind of stems - and someone is going to rage at me for this - from the fact we play characters that are buddies with everyone. Why? Because when you start to deviant on basic aspects of a race or character, you're going to invariably get more and more deviant characters as time progresses.

"If we can do A, then I can do A+B. "
"If we can do A+B, then I can do A+B+C"

And so forth.

Anyway, to avoid rambling on this, this problem kind of needs to be cut at it's source.

...Otherwise, it'll get even worse. Terrifies me to consider the possibilities.
I'd like to add on to what I've stated a few posts back:

Many a player seem to, at a certain point, forget that this is the WoW setting we're playing in. Now, I understand that it's hard for some to transfer from their own viewpoint of teenager/working adult/caring mother et cetera, but it's quite awkward seeing people playing roles in WoW via the 'dramatized-teenager-threatening-suicide' setting.

Of course, without actual Data on the basic psychological (and psychiatric) backgrounds of Azeroth's, Draenor's and Argus' races, we can only assume due to access to historical events and similarities. Alas, not many people bother reading lore and getting to know what they're doing, rather than popping in to have fun with their friends, which, as Uthaniel stated - "...we play characters that are buddies with everyone", are many. It's mostly out of fear of not having a soul to interact with after bruising them off due to IC problems, but that's not the point of this topic or post.

The point is as follow:

This is World of Warcraft, not some Anime, nor one of those 'Gossip Girl' settings. World of Warcraft's name says what you need to know.

World - Differences. Variety. Inequality.
Warcraft - Crafting of Wars. Warfare. Hate. Genocide.

Gore and violence are not too present mostly because CotH's rules imply so; But that does not mean that the world is kisses and hugs around every corner. There is hate between races, there are rows between factions, and that's a solid fact which people seem to be dodging in order to achieve a 'safe' roleplaying experience.
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
As someone who plays a formal Blood Elf -- and an elf that ICly calls people out on "forgetting their place" or their manners -- I approve of this post completely :D.

Quote:Alas, not many people bother reading lore and getting to know what they're doing, rather than popping in to have fun with their friends, which, as Uthaniel stated - "...we play characters that are buddies with everyone", are many.

I think I've lamented on this on a few threads. Though I, like many of you fine people, don't approve of racism in "the real worldz", I feel like the inherent racism and sexism ingame adds a nice layer to character interactions. And it -is- warcraft, afterall. I know people don't like having their characters killed, particularly in certain conflicts that seem unreasonable but granted the rampant racism within the NPCs are legit. But there are consequences in this world. If you're character is a neutral loves-everyone, stay in the neutral areas. You'll be preaching to the choir. But if you try and bring that elsewhere, just know that it might go poorly.

Or something. :D

Derailed -- Thanks, Xigo, for bringing up the whole... "y'all watch your language, elflings" deal. >.>
[Image: 0f084241-4e8f-4ebc-9f46-e942e4c544a8_zps7e42bd8f.jpg]
Sigh. While I agree with what is being said here, I believe that many of the characters that are played the "right" way are openly shunned by those who play them the "wrong" way. It is rather difficult to affect change in the way a race is played, in other words, when you're ostracized from the IC group for trying.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
Plus, I don't really think that many people that this is aimed at will actually read this.
I don't really know about this, I've never RPed with that many Nelves, but even if they are not formal, most of the nelves I RPed with where keeping their distance in this "xenophobist" habit that the race have.
They're cold, distant and usually don't really care about the others.
For the formality... Well yes, this is a bit missing, but we also have to think that some lost their parents in the last war, meaning a broken education, or some others are raised in a specific way.
I don't really expect to have every troll being idiot, or all humans being courageous so I guess that this kind of nelves you're talking about are fine to me.
If they're going to be gangstah, thay need real flintlock pistols!
Spoiler:
[Image: aADpK.gif]
I want there to be only the picture here, but sadly it is too large so I have to spoiler it and the spoiler doesn't appear if I don't write anything else here so now that's done, it's time for you to press it.
Hold on while I roll Fiddy-Copper, Elf Bard.

I will note that this was largely directed at Blood Elves. The other Elves have their own problems all-together.

I do find it funny that the less-played races are almost ALWAYS played correctly. Tauren, Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls, Gnomes.Ones that
deviate from their race are few and far between. Though I suppose this is because they are all exceptionally hardy races, none of them placing much emphasis on external beauty.

And I'll have to agree with the whole 'people who do this will never show up on the forum'. I know the account names of most these people and they are never seen on these boards.

Perhaps a Meet&Greet is in order? One which would tell people 'oi, get yer arses on dem forums'!

I know the players -here-, whom have posted in this thread generally agree with me and generally play characters that fit with their races, or are otherwise 'in the clear' as far as my post in concerned. However, as is painfully obvious, no one has said 'I do it because of X'. No one here does it.

... Yeah. We need to get people coming on the forums more.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blood elves and age. requiem225 13 2,783 05-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Herastean
  How to play Blood Elves Fortwit 47 6,947 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Last Post: Dae
  Dark Elves? Soree 21 3,925 01-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Last Post: Arrillion
  Elves, those skinny fellows living up there in North! Liamsi 17 3,452 12-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Liamsi
  Blood Elves and the Sunwell [Lore question] Loxmardin 35 6,213 10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Nostra