The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Your character and guards?
Just happened to come across my mind while I was bored. Let's say for instance, that your character was in a city and was being roughed up by 2-3 guards for a good reason(not random police brutality). Assuming your character is not just a random farmer, but a seasoned warrior, assassin, etc, do you guys think that he/she would be able to fight back and get out of it without getting the living sh*t beaten out of them? This is also assuming the guards are not employing lethal force. Just wondering about your thoughts on this. :D
Spoiler:
[Image: 2wd92y0.gif]

I believe the answer would be no for that. Messing with guards is generally... Frowned upon. Especially in a manner that'd kill/injure. Without express GM permission to do so, I doubt you'd be able to.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
You seem to be assuming that the guards are not seasoned warriors as well. In a world where y'got dragons, orcs or humans, and legions of undead threatening your city I do believe that the guards would tend to be quite well honed, skill wise.

Also if you did run, I would expect that they would just call more guards.
Were it up to me, guards would be treated as a Prestige Class in terms of skill, but that's just my opinion.

Rigley speaks the truth.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Rigley Wrote:You seem to be assuming that the guards are not seasoned warriors as well. In a world where y'got dragons, orcs or humans, and legions of undead threatening your city I do believe that the guards would tend to be quite well honed, skill wise.

Also if you did run, I would expect that they would just call more guards.

I see your point, but I tend to think that they get the watered down version so to speak. Seeing as our characters are the ones that have to go out and kill majority of the threats, eg fel orcs, Scourge. Which in a way gives them more battle experience.
Spoiler:

Actually, it's the NPCs that do most of the warring. Adventurer's do some of the fighting, but we don't have people on the server that killed Illidan with 25 people, ICly.
Aah, I stand corrected then. Thanks for the heads up. :D
Spoiler:

Let me elaborate a bit -

We do not have rules against being able to beat up guards because of them being uber skilled and whatnot - It's more so people cannot get themselves into stupid situations and then expect to be able to get away with it. Therefore, we have had to institute a fairly hard-set stance that, no, you will not be able to overpower guards, and yes, guards will almost always triumph over you. Again, we're not trying to say that every character is weaker than guards, or that every guard is the perfect myrmidon soldier - we've just had to take this stance because of people doing stupid things in the past.
Plus, don't forget the fact that there are plenty of guards and if you're causing trouble they are likely to call for backup. Now, even if your characters is a seasoned warrior, it is likely that they wont be able to take down 3-5 guards by themself and if other people came along to help you, more guards would show up and beat them around as well.

Also, goblins can come out of everywhere, so, Bruisers just swarm you.
BountyHunter Wrote:Also, goblins can come out of everywhere, so, Bruisers just swarm you.

Suddenly, Bruisers. Tons of them.

Everywhere.
And that´s how I met.. Abraham Lincoln.. Mhmhm, Abrahaaaam Lincoln.

Anyhow, I digress! I believe that fighting guards would be insane as mentioned above here and that if you ever do come into contact with city law enforcers your best option would be running because most guards, atleast in Stormwind, because most guards are packed with armour and might not be the best long distance runners with thirty pounds of armour on them.
Little by little, one travels far.
Well, here's the thing about guards.

You pick a fight with one of them. You get off a couple of hits before nearby guards notice and join the fight. Which should be about two, seeing as how cities are packed with guards.

The fight continues. The guards call for aid. About ten more guards within shouting distance come.

The fight continues. Heroes in the city hear about the situation. They start coming in.

The fight continues. It's really a war at this point.

Very, very, very few conflicts would get past stage two. And it gets very hard to actually run after phase one. Seriously, the best bet for any character is to just get out of there. Guards do not fight fairly.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
In Booty Bay, I can see you easily get overwhelmed. I can totally see a player take down lots of bruisers, but it's really no use because you get zerged. In Stormwind however, I'd say it's difficult enough to take down one guard. More than one and you'll have a really hard time. However, Stormwind guards are heavily armored and would be unable to run. I hope you all also realize that they don't all have radios to call in back up with. . . They can only call in backup from the distance their voice carries. Their only means of getting backup is shouting "That guy punched me in the face! Stop him!" Therefore, I do see it as Stormwind guards being pretty easy to outrun. Lightly armored guards are different, though.

It's a little boring that you can't do anything in cities for the fear that guards will easily kill you for it. Y'all have to understand that stuff -do- happen in cities. People get assassinated, purses get stolen, fights break out. This has happened all throughout history without the perpetrator getting caught or killed. I'm not saying you should be able to get away with everything, though. Assassin's Creed is an excellent example on how it should be working. When you run from guards, they get backup from all the guards that see them running after you, but when you break line of sight and they are unable to find you, they will, depending on what you did, curse and stop looking or keep searching the immediate area where you vanished until they curse and stop looking.

Then if you do stupid stuff after stupid stuff after stupid stuff, they -will- remember you and there -will- be wanted posters. That's enough for any guard to recognize you and run after you as soon as they see you, IE, you can't enter the city any longer.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
I remember a while ago the GMs were placing -more- guards into the town. It's true that stuff does happen in towns like that, but this is still possible. I have seen incidents where people are able to slip away from the guards several times. You -should- be able to do this, but I personally think it would slowly grow out of hand and resulting in drama and/or something similar. :(
I'm not saying you can stand around doing anything for ages and then run when you feel like it. There comes a time when running simply isn't a possibility any longer. But for a rogue to quickly stab somebody in the back, get discovered by guards and then run, then I totally see him getting away.

If he would, let's say, try to stab and fail and then keeps fighting his target to get him killed, guards will start to stack on ya and escape will gradually get tougher until it finally becomes nigh impossible.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Character ideas that don't play by CotH character creation rules Dae 26 10,334 01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Dae
  IC OOC L (In-Character Out-Of-Character Location) Judgernaut 15 3,460 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Judgernaut
  Guards! Guards! Herastean 14 2,082 11-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Last Post: Holynexus
  Paying Off Guards? ToxicFrozt 14 1,753 11-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Last Post: superior