The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Death gates.
D:

I had a longer more thought out post. But it got lost. Regardless; Uthaniel proposed that necromancers be able to use death gates ICly.

Clarify me if I'm wrong and you read this, Uthaniel, but he basically said, necromancers can use arcane that taps into the shadow plane. Necromancers pretty much learn death knight spells, and originally necromancer and rune master were going to be added to the game, but they were merged into death knight. (hence the whole rune-reliance).

Basically, let me know what you think.

To keep in mind:
*They can only be set to one place. Said place is listed in flagRSP (if allowed)
*However, you can change the place it goes to with a ritual, but you have to be at said place. I can't suddenly change it to mulgore without going to mulgore. Not that having a deathgate to mulgore would make sense.

Anyway... I got some pretty positive feedback in /chat, so I open it up to forums.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
If Death Gates are to be used to get to the Ebon Hold, then I don't think so. :?
Death gates can be ICly reassigned to other places, according to Kril (At least I think it was him who said it, on Vent.)
Ah, I see. I was under the impression all led to the Ebon Hold. Nevertheless, if Warlocks can summon, the usage of a Death Gate might be considered an off-shoot of the summoning. This could be plausible. :)
The latter part of the post sounds like a descision made by blizzard to un-complicate the idea of prestige classes, not a viable reason for Necromancers to use Deathgate as well. I couldn't find anything to support that necromancers could use this, in either the WoW wiki post for "Death gates" or "Necromancers."

I find the Necromancer class to be... odd, as well. It actually says in the wiki that "most if not all" Necromancers were trained by Kel'Thuzad, that they are secretive, and that they live in Stratholm. To back this up is the fact they pulled this from the RP books... not just some made up crap that is thrown in there for fun.

So, really, I think that summoning a Deathgate would be sort of like... leaving tracks behind as a hunter that knows he's being hunted. It'd draw attention, and be unneeded in most cases. With Deathknights... they are -Deathknights-. No hiding that.

So, tl;dr, I think it's sort of too vague to answer. Probably not would be the quickest and most likely thing to say.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Well once a necromancer becomes undead, it doesn't really matter if it'd draw attention. They're very presence would draw attention, heh.
I would think the spells of necromancers and death knights are separate, they share similarities but in the end they are performed differently and often have somewhat different results. The ghouls of a death knight tends to be less stable (with the possible exception of Unholy DKs, but even then they are rather limited), for an example, while necromancers have little (or no) skill with performing things like death grip. Necromancers excel in the sorcerous and rely only on themselves to perform their spells while death knights rely on their runeblade to do their magic, the death knight uses his magic to boost his "mundane" abilities in a fight while the necromancer relies only on his magic.

It's like looking at a priest and a paladin, they share similarities but in the end are different classes with different abilities and thus different ways to use the Light.

Also, I'm not sure but I do think Death Gates could possible be used to get elsewhere than Acherus, don't the Scourge knights use it to escape a few times, where does it take them? I don't know if anything ever is mentioned about it in lore or if it's just one of those things that 'is'.

Edit: for fastpoasters getting there first lulz
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Hence another point I'd like to make... what alliegance do Necromancer's on CoTH have? From what I'm reading now, the only two factions that support them are Forsaken and The Scourge. Forsaken tend to use it for repairs, as well as bolstering their forces, but it says that most were "woo'd" by brute force.

That thought aside, I'm sure anyone outside of the Forsaken would be pretty damn unnerved by seeing a Necromancer, so yeah, I'd thiiiink they'd still be secretive, dead or not.

Edit: Again, tl:dr, if you draw attention, why draw more? Their alliance with the Horde is shakey already at best. Cause plage bombing your own faction in Northrend is a -great- way to make friends!

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

That is true Rensin, but the possibility of an escape? It isn't like they'd go, "Whee death gate, there, go there, death gate back, go there, death gate again." I know if Astus was able to, he'd only do it in emergency situations. I remember LostStranger said something interesting about this, I'll have to ask him.
Well, even then... wouldn't a Necromancer have better tools for that means? I mean, we are talking about a guy that for a last ditch effort could summon quite a few minions. Not to mention, they probably wouldn't mind becoming a Lich.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

There are also neutral necromancers and even Liches who keep to themselves, as we've seen in game and in lore. Heh, I remember reading about some nerubian necromancer who established himself in Silverpine (or somesuch) to combat the Scourge on his own, using the his little 'creations'.

But the Scourge and Forsaken are definitely the big employers, so to speak, and while many Forsaken certainly would be unnerved by a necromancer I'm also pretty sure they would keep them close, to make sure they have a steady supply of forces and repairs... and to make sure they don't go do anything they don't like.

Edit: I don't think we can say that Death Gates are death knights only, but I'm not sure if we want to blend the two classes too much from an OOC point of view, better keep them with their own spells since they are similar enough as it is.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

Rensin Wrote:Well, even then... wouldn't a Necromancer have better tools for that means? I mean, we are talking about a guy that for a last ditch effort could summon quite a few minions. Not to mention, they probably wouldn't mind becoming a Lich.
Well true...
But what do you mean better tools for that means? A necromancer is unable to use teleportation spells/portals, so I mean, I guess they could summon minions to defend themselves.

And you also mention what my character strives for (though maybe it's my tiredness, it seems random that you mention it) but since I've been told they'd never be allowed on CotH he's basically destined to fail at it.
My two :silver: ? No. It's not possible for Necromancers to use Death Gates.

Death Gates are a rip through the Realm of Shadows. Same place where DKs keep their extra Runeblades(Dancing Rune Weapon anyone?) and Deathcharger and the odd Undead Construct such as a Gargoyle or a Bone Gryphon.

A Necromancer would have to be able to enter the Realm of Shadows in order to cast Death Gate. Necromancers have no such ability.
[Image: 2hhkp3k.gif]
Recommended reads: Divine and Arcane. Also, elves.
Wanna refer me in Tribes: Ascend? Clickies!
Actually they do, they do it all the time, they get their power from the realm of shadows. =/
Astus - where does it say that necromanitc magic comes from the realm of Shadows? They are mages to start with are they not? So what makes them different from mages and warlocks drawing upon the Nether?

Necromancers doing Death Gates? No!
Fairly amount of reasons to why has been given and I agree to those. They are a spell made for death knights used by them. (I have no idea who formed the spell reportoir of death knights but I assume the Lich King.)

Sidenote: Forsaken have and accept necromancers but they lack the ability to reanimate and create more forsaken to bolster their own forces. That is why Sylvanas hire the val'kyr in Cataclysm to raise more forsaken.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]