The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Cata Cata...
Firstly, I have some cool ideas here. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26810&p=174665#p174665

Secondly,

Okay so prestige isn't legit anymore.. which I find a shame to be honest. Many players have come up of some nice prestige ideas and get taunted by the that they didn't get the chance, for what ever reason before hand. Also to rub it in deeper people who did get prestige are still prestige. Maybe allowing prestige for a certain time frame and stopping it again until the next "season" would be a good way to limit the amount of prestiges about.

Thirdly,

Does killing really feel like killing? Or is death just a one week obstacle? You get my point? Ressing is too easy, so perhaps if it was harder to do would make sense. Killing off a character should mean killing them off. I would give leeway after a PvP event though, meaning that ressing is easier if death was caused by a recent PvP event. Just to encourage RPPvP a little and make it a less.. dodgy world.
"Even a stopped clock, tells the right time twice a day."
I agree with you to an extent. The only reason why I would say that Ressing is too easy is because it's the world that we're RPing in. Most paladins, priests, shaman and Druids can resurrect a character. I'm not saying its a flick of the wrist procedure but they are abilities that our characters have access to. It ruins what could be done as far as telling a story or dramatizing an event. But we can't snuff out what our characters can do.

Like when we had the trapped on the island event. Almost every mage wanted to say "Lets just portal out of this" which would be a quick solution to any trapped event. Either RP a reason why this mage cannot produce such as spell, or let them portal out because they can. They would enjoy themselves more if they stayed. But it's what their char can do. Also it is a fantasy game setting. Realism should be taken into consideration but we have to remember the world is much different than our own world or a typical midevil Rp setting.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
I think the Character death is appropriate. The reason it seems to easy: People do it wrong.

When your character is ressurected, they are supposed to suffer some drawbacks. People take this as: "Oh, I'll just give him some tiny little thing like...Oh...Maybe i'll make him EXTRA SCARED." When really, I imagine it should be like...loss of a body part, loss of a sense, the inability to form proper sentances. Something, ya know, traumatizing or trauma-based...Something that really affects your character.

Also, people who are recently ressurected should probably be weak, suffering some kind of fatigue, weakness, or hell, even soreness...But nope. People just go "Hurp a durp, all better let's fight again."

Death is not a pretty thing. People need to stop seeing character ressurection as a "sitting in the penalty box" sort of thing and more as a long-lasting effect on your character.
But the people in lore who have been there and back again don't suffer these draw backs. So why make it so? However what is in lore is that it seems to be very rare.
mangaboy111 Wrote:But the people in lore who have been there and back again don't suffer these draw backs. So why make it so? However what is in lore is that it seems to be very rare.

Because we're not Arthas.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
The way I wish rezzing was dealt with comes not from the ressurected, but from the ressurecter. In lore ressurection does not seem to have a million draw-backs, or any real long term things from what I've gathered... in most cases anyways. However, people who can ressurect are far and few. Even if I play a class that can ressurect, not all of them actually ICly have the skill because I imagine it to be one of the hardest things in the world to do. If I was in-charge of the system, I'd make it so only a select few people can learn the ability through intense training, IC quest lines, or with a very-very good and well thought out reason. It seems like when a king dies... he's dead, but when a peasant dies, his rag-tag paladin buddy comes along and ressurects him a week later and this fellow must limp from now on.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
mangaboy111 Wrote:But the people in lore who have been there and back again don't suffer these draw backs. So why make it so? However what is in lore is that it seems to be very rare.

I've also talked to people about that. I think it was something about honour or like...doing the right thing and letting them rest or something, I dunno.

Also, we make it so that people don't do something incredibly stupid, die, get rezzed and go on doing stupid things. Also, makes for interesting character development. A lot of the death in WoW would be very traumatizing ways to die.
The idea of infinite resurrections is so we can't tell someone that they have to permanently retire their character, which is a kick in the balls if you had developed them and were rather attached.

Also I don't see a lot of prestiges "rubbing it in" as you would say. Sometimes we get combatty but I haven't seen a lot of flaunting with it.
Wuvvums Wrote:The idea of infinite resurrections is so we can't tell someone that they have to permanently retire their character, which is a kick in the balls if you had developed them and were rather attached.

Also I don't see a lot of prestiges "rubbing it in" as you would say. Sometimes we get combatty but I haven't seen a lot of flaunting with it.

This. It's a game, guys, just play it and have fun. If your fun relies on somebody else having to retire their character because one of our servers many "For the Evulz" characters decided to off them, maybe you should just be griefing on a PvP server or something.

Also, I find the shutdown of the prestige system somewhat annoying myself, but I haven't seen prestiges rubbing anyone's faces in it. So far I've just seen a few, and all have been quite responsible and polite about everything.
i am geko
i live heer
and my favorite food is crikkits
On Prestiges: I'm just going to say we're still heavily discussing things, so chill. It may seem easy on paper to come up with a system, but it's honestly a lot of hard work. We can't see the future.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Regarding rezzes in here, I believe someone pointed out lack of real trouble in lore;

BUT. There is a reason we have drawbacks. Drawbacks are an IC and OOC incentive not to do things that will get your character killed again, due to how they stack. It is to prevent people from taking on foolish behavior and being able to pop up without any consequence, and then repeat the process.

Granted, some people will portray this well, others will not. Some will cripple themselves completely, some will realize the lesser ability to fight, and others will have some awsum battlescars and be otherwise fine.
I say just RP and let RP. There's no reason to have a heart attack over someone's character being alive again or someone else's character being a cool class. (Not that anyone here is overreacting like that. Just an example. =P)
What Rigley said. Sure, go and get your character killed over and over if you feel like it. But those drawbacks stack. After a set amount of times, one have to consider if it's even -worth- getting the character back up. s/he'll be so weak he'll get easily killed again. I've always said to myself, if my one of my character dies three, maybe four times, I will let them retire from fighting completely.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
Quote:Because we're not Arthas?

Tch.. Arthas doesn't get ressed with no draw backs. He doesn't even die.. actually.

Anyway some people see my point, some people don't. It's natural that we have different opinions. But the king and the peasant thing made me laugh. Mainly because I think it's true. :P
Anyway I know the prestige people are nice, but what I ment by rubbing it in.. I see a demon hunter stood on top of a mail box in GMI quite a lot, and it just makes me want to be able to get the opportunity do make a demon hunter as well. Seeing as I have some pretty nice plans, and story lines for this character I want to make. So it was more of a jokey comment than anything. To be honest what I would loooove is the chance to make a Dark Ranger, Dragonsworn or a Demon Hunter.

I dunno have you guys thought of maybe putting a cap on how many prestiges people can make so you can only get one or two per player meaning that there will be more characters with out prestige class?

As long as they come back some time in the future I am happy, because even if it take ages it means I would have much more developed character story lines. How ever for the person I want to make, could I give her a title of Fel Hunter or something along the lines because she hunts demons, but isn't a demon hunter yet?
Nothing really stops your character from hunting demons. It's just that she doesn't have the training a demon hunter has.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RP locations (Cata) Nick 35 5,512 05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Last Post: Micheru
  Pre-Cata Text RP KillerFrog 7 1,149 06-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Last Post: enchantra