The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Opinions - IC Language/Colloquialisms
Having viewed interactions in the game world, I would like to present the following for discussion:

Aside from the accents which have been predetermined by Blizzard for certain races speaking Common, what are players' thoughts about the use of modern day slang and ethnic accents in character?
I have no personal issue with it. WoW itself has occasional usage of slang and phrases in some of the texts, and it's a series that honestly doesn't take itself quite as seriously as the fandom tries to make it out to be. If a BE runs around going "YO, BRAH," I'd probably laugh my ass off.

Though, I'm not gonna lie, when I hear someone say "fel no," instead of "hell no," I want to punch something. Hell can be used in other ways outside of the noun. (It's been used in official dialogue, if I recall correctly)
˜★Sketch Blog
TwilightDisciple Wrote:I have no personal issue with it. WoW itself has occasional usage of slang and phrases in some of the texts, and it's a series that honestly doesn't take itself quite as seriously as the fandom tries to make it out to be. If a BE runs around going "YO, BRAH," I'd probably laugh my ass off.
I would be concerned that the player was going for a purely comedic character rather than playing one with some true aspect of believable personality. We all remember Jar Jar Binks, and wish we didn't.

TwilightDisciple Wrote:Though, I'm not gonna lie, when I hear someone say "fel no," instead of "hell no," I want to punch something. Hell can be used in other ways outside of the noun. (It's been used in official dialogue, if I recall correctly)
All references to heaven or hell were supposed to be retconned out with the release of WoW, most likely via the instructions of Blizzard's pet political correctness police. While it sounds odd to me too, I think that in this case, "fel no" is the proper exclamation.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
Whilst I've no real objects to the existence of certain slang in WoW, one DOES need to really think about the character's upbringing and their surroundings before you start using such words, otherwise it just makes no sense and makes you look silly.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
I personally don't or rarely use modern day expressions or slang. For example yo mamma jokes simply seem out of place in world of warcraft, but its up to the players.
Slangs are nub.
"Good roleplaying is not equivalent to saying that your character is not interested or molded for a certain situation.
Quite the contrary - good roleplaying is making up a reason for your character to do that thing, no matter the obstacles!"
rentreality Wrote:
TwilightDisciple Wrote:I have no personal issue with it. WoW itself has occasional usage of slang and phrases in some of the texts, and it's a series that honestly doesn't take itself quite as seriously as the fandom tries to make it out to be. If a BE runs around going "YO, BRAH," I'd probably laugh my ass off.
I would be concerned that the player was going for a purely comedic character rather than playing one with some true aspect of believable personality. We all remember Jar Jar Binks, and wish we didn't.

I was suggesting it from a gag-related standpoint. :P That'd be torture to play a Jar Jar-esque character
˜★Sketch Blog
Indeed, I see a lot of terms or randomness that might be the result of trolling or otherwise.

Though, when I see a Night Elf say "f**k YEAH!!!" or "DAMN STRAIGHT!" It makes me wonder when any sort of normal Kaldorei was taught that those kind of words are acceptable to come from a race who often sees themselves above everyone else.

Now if a dwarf or a troll said something along those lines, it would be more acceptable because their race is a bit more relaxed about casual society.

Just my two bits.
McKnighter Wrote:Indeed, I see a lot of terms or randomness that might be the result of trolling or otherwise.

Though, when I see a Night Elf "f**k YEAH!!!" or "DAMN STRAIGHT!" It makes me wonder when any sort of normal Kaldorei was taught that those kind of words are acceptable to come from a race who often sees themselves above everyone else.

Now if a dwarf or a troll said something along those lines, it would be more acceptable because their race is a bit more relaxed about casual society.

Just my two bits.

I don't remember exactly what Redis said when Anna first encountered him, but I know I called him Stoner-lock for a reason.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
rentreality Wrote:
TwilightDisciple Wrote:Though, I'm not gonna lie, when I hear someone say "fel no," instead of "hell no," I want to punch something. Hell can be used in other ways outside of the noun. (It's been used in official dialogue, if I recall correctly)
All references to heaven or hell were supposed to be retconned out with the release of WoW, most likely via the instructions of Blizzard's pet political correctness police. While it sounds odd to me too, I think that in this case, "fel no" is the proper exclamation.

Though slightly off topic:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Hellcaller
http://www.wowpedia.org/Hellfire_Peninsula
http://www.wowpedia.org/Hellfire
http://www.wowpedia.org/Unleashed_Hellion

It should also be noted the Twisting Nether is sometimes called Hell, Hades, or Underworld.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Twisting_nether#Other_names

There's also countless NPCs that've said "hell."

As far as dialect and slang goes, I think it's been answered well in that as long as you keep it from being silly, it should be fine.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
c0rzilla Wrote:
McKnighter Wrote:Indeed, I see a lot of terms or randomness that might be the result of trolling or otherwise.

Though, when I see a Night Elf "f**k YEAH!!!" or "DAMN STRAIGHT!" It makes me wonder when any sort of normal Kaldorei was taught that those kind of words are acceptable to come from a race who often sees themselves above everyone else.

Just my two bits.

I don't remember exactly what Redis said when Anna first encountered him, but I know I called him Stoner-lock for a reason.

Because he was a bit whacked out from drinking Fel, and couldn't understand why a big tree-tauren was beating on him. :P

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Writing body language Kirabo 0 920 07-28-2014, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Kirabo
  Body Language ghaskan 7 2,252 01-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Opinions needed: Death Knight Caster. Adam255 12 2,128 10-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Dae
  Prestige Titles: My Opinions Stormgald 10 2,081 08-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Rigley
  Cataclysm: My Opinions Stormgald 34 6,758 08-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Hawk